Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Gentlemen, surely we need to form a union to set a price-floor on minimum vote prices. Now, what you'll get is anything above a minimum amount that campaigns agree to pay, along with an annual dividend payment in proportion to the total members of your family who vote the way we want. As a guarantee for payments, we'll need you to snapchat a picture of your ballot to a verification algorithm's address.

Campaigns: $200 per vote or $100,000 for our block of votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SirKibbles posted:

Collectivism is anti-american.

Look at this scab, living at 123 North Fake Street. Sure would be bad if anything happened to this scab. Now, I'm not saying scabs deserve violence, that'd ve illegal, one shouldn't scab in a house with glass windows.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Realchat: Who's gonna be doing parades in too hot for it weather this weekend?

Luckily our afterpartys held at the VFW, so buck drinks for everyone involved.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReindeerF posted:

I dig that total forced collapse for no reason is like an annual budgetary issue for Americans now, like the stupid coups in Thailand. Oh hey guys when is our next total political failure? Let me know so I can save up - THX!

If you wondered what it's like living in the developing world, WELCOME TO THE CLUB.

Well, at least the power stays on. Enough in American's lives are done by non-federal authorities that only the perks are immediately closed during protracted budget fights.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReindeerF posted:

That roughly describes Thailand. poo poo works before, during and after coups and street wars because everyone's so used to it that the permanent bureaucracy just works around it.

:smuggo:

Yes, well, our bureaucracy disproportionately benefits black women bureaucrats, so ours is more an issue of waiting or changing that fact.

E:

Kellsterik posted:

Brings a whole new meaning to "starving the beast".

You know the movie Brazil, where we get to view the department with the door open and closed? Well, that door's name is 'pay'. Think of it as more a transition to a 20-hour annual work week for government employees with the same pay and benefits, only some weeks receive more pay and benefits than others.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 31, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ElMaligno posted:

Its going to be the rise of the affordable motorcycle :unsmigghh:

Smart money don't need no motorcycle, smart money got a bicycle. Cars are for the poors in America.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

It's like smoking. Sure it's fun but at the end of the day it is just a pricey habit and increases your chances dramatically of an early death.

Smoking is for the poors nowadays. You're not a poors, are you?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

If you even have to ask, the answer should be obvious.

:(

I should clarify. Smoking cigarettes is for the poors and the help. Smoking real cigars is perfectly acceptible in polite society, if not outright encouraged.

One campaign I was involved with, the office was next to a Turkish cigar lounge and the family of the candidate had done a favor for the owner of the lounge. Some of the best in-kind donations which were made to my campaign committee (impolite to have a real boss reporting what are definitely not cubans).

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Realchat: Seems we've crossed the rubicon on using guns to shoot symbols of political opponents by newcomer candidates.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cuFdkSt8-8o

See also: Any ad of a white person shooting Obamacare

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hangedman1984 posted:

Now to just sit back and wait for republican's inevitable denouncing democrats and their "violent rhetoric"

X Republican criticized Y Democrat for expressing his 1st Amendment Rights. Why does X Republican only support guns for Republicans? Z Democrat supports gun rights for all legal Americans. Vote Z Democrat to vote for universal American gun rights.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ewe2 posted:

So this storify just adds to the Ferguson fun: https://storify.com/DKShan/backoffice-politics-and-misdealings-in-missouri

It doesn't surprise me, but jesus.

I tried talking about this in the Brown thread before I just couldn't keep up with the pace of new posts. [Ask] me about any specifics you wanna know, and I'll try to point* you in the right direction.

*death to leakers is an official policy that I don't wanna tangle with

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

So, what precisely is happening?

In Missouri? Nixon wants Clinton's Veep slot, McCullahhh wants Gov, Obama wants heads, the AG wants Gov and is a teaparty true-believer willing to put partisan differences aside to protect the police and not look 'soft on crime' (read as friendly to, in some frank words I've heard uttered in JeffCity, uppity negroes) and justice is a long way off.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Domestic terrorism.

Unlawful assembly charged by local police, offer a plea for no jail time with a ban from federal property, have the names passed onto Federal authorities who can then charge with trespassing on federal property if they ever come back.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

eNeMeE posted:

Wouldn't assault be viable for the people who made a bunch of scientists feel rather threatened? I guess they'd have to want to press charges and not just get on with their lives and work, though.

efb

I'm sure, somewhere, there's a law against purposely interfering with federally-funded research.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

Unlawful assembly is essentially something that has to be charged right when the thing's happening and the people dispersed or placed under a formal siege-type situation immediately. You don't get to just declare that you're going to charge people with unlawful assembly months on, unless you're already putting them up for some other crime.

Also I'm pretty drat sure ban from federal property is not a valid plea bargain offering for any crimes involved.

Thats really too bad. Whats the best legal way to gently caress the militia group if they return to the area?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Michele Bachmann already proposed doing exactly that, but we'll sadly miss her wisdom in the next Congress :smith:

I said it in the last thread: Which witch will you want watching over which witchtrials?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah, but he (and his minions) still talk about how he dreams of a grand bargain that he'll be remembered for passing in his second term.

He's onto legacy considerations and lining up as much funding for his library as possible. There'll be an amnesty declared after electiond and outreach attempts for the 2016 succession as the main considerations behind all policy proposals which reach the O-man's desk.

E:

Joementum posted:

All of the various histories of the 2013 shutdown I've read have said Obama wanted to deal, but Reid convinced him that he could force the Senate Democrats to hold the line.

I've heard mostly similar from Durbin's office, with some tactical differences. I'd rate that as mostly true.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Guess who's planning a comeback tour after his failed 2012 run!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

richardfun posted:

Please tell me it's Mittens :pray:

He's out saying he'd "make a better president than Hillary" today

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mo_Steel posted:

Homeless individuals are also victimized more than other targets of hate crimes (emphasis mine):

There are still many laws around the country that exist solely to target the homeless and drive them out of cities that find them undesirable as well, and this isn't a new phenomenon in America or globally. "In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets, and steal loaves of bread."

Yeah, and there are some relatively easy policy fixes that can decrease homelessness. For instance, rather than relying upon shelters, draft zoning laws that allow for single-occupancy boarding houses with shared amenities and without required parking spaces.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Freakazoid_ posted:

You just described micro-apartments, which in Seattle, people are paying $900 a month per room for the privilege.

You know what else would eliminate homelessness? Giving them a livable income. No requirements, just straight up give them the equivalent of 40 hours a week at minimum wage (after we pass a minimum wage hike, of course). Also rent control.

Yeah, doesn't work in all cities, but if you had one of those places out in the 'burbs near to public transit, it'd be better than what exists.

Other option that I favor is a guaranteed minimum income for all, thats a bit less-doable than changing local zoning laws.

E:

The third policy option that America seems to have taken is military service. No healthcare? gently caress you, enlist. No housing? gently caress you, enlist. Its our social safety net.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah, that's how I got dropped from my canvassing job after literally a few days :negative:

Solution: Buck-a-sig work to get on a ballot. If you're personable and know where to hit and when, can hit 40-50 signatures/hour.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

The American as Apple Pie Corp is a privately held company and you have no right to try and intimate the owners, whoever they may be.

The American as Apple Pie Corp strictly follows all regulatory laws in the jurisdictions in which it operates. It just happens The American as Apple Pie Corp has purchased the Jamacian Spice I, Jamacian Spice II Jamacian Spice III, and plans to purchase The Jamacian Spice IV Corp, registered in the Cayman Islands, later this year. The Jamacian Spice IV Corp is a holding corporation of The American as Apple Pie Corp's shell holding, The American as Pumpkin Pie Transfer Corp, a wholly owned subsidiary of The American as Key Lime Pie Corp.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

theshim posted:

gently caress you, now I want pie.

I'll sell you a Slice Of Pie ® for $7. There'll be a 99% POS processing fee charged to us by The American as Irish Cowpie Processing Corp, a LLP owned but not operated by The Pie Family Trust and PieTrust GMbH. The disposable fork is $1 with a 0.50 deposit redeemable by filling out form P-1DR turned in with an authorized P-2M and notorized P-3N. Any deposit not claimed is considered a charitable contribution to The Pie Family Trust and will be deducted from The American As Apple Pie Corp's tax liability.

E:

Berke Negri posted:

It's a pretty strange feeling to be sitting in a conference room surrounded by boxes of signature petitions and know that it adds up to half a million dollars in value.

(That's what democracy feels like)

Its an even better feeling to be the one counting and discounting signatures.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 9, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
From elsewhere's Mr. J. M.:

“Your mamma is so corrupt, when she sits around the house, she collects three paychecks from CMS!”

“Well, your mamma is so corrupt, it took her two hours to watch 60 minutes’ story about all the people killed in her nursing homes!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shear Modulus posted:

Woe unto anyone who tries to become more informed about politics by watching media that's available without extraordinary effort like cable and network news shows.

Just listen to NPR?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Is not who votes that matters, its what ballot they vote on which counts.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pope Guilty posted:

So this would be the rare example of the right wing being justifiably mad at something, though still batshit for thinking a government shutdown is a good idea?

No, because Ex-Im makes US a shitload of money while creating tens of thousands of full-time, American positions.

E:

And you don't want to fly on a Chinese aircraft if you travel for business, do you?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

They all use Airbus/Boeing anyway. Nobody in actual business cares. It's a red-meat thing for the flyover hillbillies.

Not really, not in the un- and under-exploited, resource-rich corners of the world without much, if any, state government.

Specific example I'm familiar with: Finding the quickest and least-expensive route as a subcontractor for legal reasons from silicon valley to the cayman islands (to get an account # and amount), Cayman to Zurich, Zurich to Harere for platinum arrangements, Harere to Livingstone with the family of "a friendly official," Livingstone to Mbuji-Mayi, then to Minneapolis ASAP to make the pitch to Cargil before someone else.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 11, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

If you are going to the Caymans using public transportation, you are doing it wrong. You have to take your own plane there, see, problem solved. At that point, realistically, we are talking Canadian. But those people aren't "Business" flyers, they are CEOs and poo poo. Independently wealthy folks.

Yes, except the reason you do everything public and not privately tracable is to avoid FCPA when things go south and competition wants in.

Personally, I'd rather fly in a 40 year old Boeing around parts of the world than a new Chinese commuter plane.

E:

Vahakyla posted:

Once when I was on duty I walked out of a grocery store and a homeless person asked me for money. I asked him how was he planning to spend it and he told me that "Beer or cigarettes, the gently caress does it matter, I'm a grown rear end man, I can buy what I want".

I gave him ten bucks. I hope the beer was good. I know better now and I don't ask anymore since I actually see his point.

Usually, when I'm walking, I have a place to get to at a precise time. If I know I'll be taking that route back and someone asks outside a corner shop, I'll tell them I'll be back in X hours and if they're there I'll grab 'em a beer. If they are, I do--usually try to pick out something I think they might not've tried before, like a small-batch cider or 6 month whiskey barrel-aged beer.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 11, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

:ughh: Hipsters. Do you realize how many cans of Milwaukee's Best that is?

When I buy beer for others, whether at a bar or bodega, I buy something that I can use to start a conversation. When I have time, if I see the person a few times and develop a rapport, I'll make the time to sit for a few hours, have a beer with them, discuss their life, listen to their story, do a spot needs/skills assessment, and then follow a strength-based approach to create a 'next steps' action plan and share any resources/connections I have that may be of use.

So far, its worked with two individuals. Takes time, I don't see how your 'just buy a case of Hamms and look the other way' does anything to address the underlying causes and correct them within your ability.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

Ah sorry, I didn't realize you were an outreach worker. I was talking about just regular folks who want to help.

I'm not. Doesn't prevent me from doing my civic and moral duty.

E:

As long as they're in my ward, I won't hand them off to someone I don't view as able to act in their best interests. Sometimes, outreach coordinators can't do what private citizens can, can't talk as a private citizen, can't be real. Social workers are alright, a politically connected friend is more useful in practical life.

gently caress those who think their civic and moral obligations are fulfilled by giving paper without making a real sacrifice of something they value to better the lives of their fellow man.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 11, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

Sorry, I'm sure you're doing good. Sometimes I find myself taking a dim view of amateurs but it's so much better than not giving a poo poo. Also I'm now imagining you offering a homeless woman a bottle of lambic while intoning "I have powers...political powers"

I'm not amateur. I wanted to be able to assist as best as possible, took courses through a prestigious university to do so, and have decades of experience. I assure you, I fill the gap between the safety net and death in my ward.

Now, I may keep in touch every few months. I may set up a meeting to follow and adjust the plan we made. I may introduce you to a caring man/woman I know who I think you'd hit it off with and would be sympathetic to your story.

And, when its a tight election year, I may mention what I'm doing at our meeting. I may now have two volunteers willing to put in a thousand hours each, plus do outreach with their partners, and they may be trusted to tell their story, no script, in their own words, whatever they want because they are their own person, and I may have done some precise cost/benefit analysis on the precise value in time and money of such outreach in maintaining the ward, and I won't treat anyone different who doesn't feel like they want me working for them.

I just create the conditions which let people realize that they want me to help others. And that's how you fulfill your civic duty in America by giving homeless individuals microbrews. You don't need to tell anyone what you can do when you can do it for them and answer honestly if they ever ask.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

I thought the GOP plan was to allow a vote on it and then use it as "Democrats are against free speech and the 1st Amendment" campaign propaganda?

Didn't poll well enough. Easier to understand 'money out of politics' than 'money is freedom of speech in politics.'

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well I had college radio then.

Did college radio come with an attached vynel player?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

sweart gliwere posted:

We'll channel the right-wing zeal for private school edu-vouchers into an anti-bullying segregation program. Any bullies with a serious established pattern go to Professor Alpha's School for Type-A Youngsters, staffed entirely by fired Gym and Shop instructors teaching their fallback subjects.

Talmonis was right - bullies aren't people, they're more than human. They're C-level microbes in need of dork-free agar dishes.

Welcome to American education, circa 1911!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

And if a kid is too disruptive they can just send that kid to public schools! Its win-win!

Edit: Public school do have more resources to deal with disruptive behavior....

Those aren't for use specific to the student population, they are best-practices for emergency quarantine establishment during a bioterrorism or epidemiological event.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

That might be a good excuse, but that's what that school district wants to use it for:

Because if there's a fire, we need police tearing down a wall with an MRAP.

I'm pretty sure none of the MRAPs given to PDs are NBC kitted anyway.

Thats the excuse that got them funded. Doesn't matter what schools want them for, Congress determines why they'll get it and provides oversight if they misappropriate Congressional assets.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Caros posted:

I have a strong religious conviction that every theatre is on fire. I must preach the word.

Are you a registered religious non-profit which professes such a view? If so, carry on, and be sure to apply for some of our religious-based educational service grants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Alkydere posted:

I would honestly love it if the EMS were the ones being given military surplus. I seeing one of those tearing down the street with a heart attack victim in the back would be awesome/terrifying.

Giving each school what amounts to a surplus ambulance/riot control vehicle is an incredible long-term cost-saving measure on insurance issues.