Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

quote:

Many of you would already be aware that earlier today we lost one of our brightest stars when our much-loved friend and colleague Kurt Steel was tragically killed in a bus crash in Bolivia.

Our sincerest condolences and prayers are with his family, work colleagues and many friends both in Canberra and in the Labor family across Australia. Our Chief Minister Katy Gallagher, Federal Leader Bill Shorten and Kurt’s friend and boss Andrew Barr have already shared some heartfelt words about this tragic loss:

Chief Minister Katy Gallagher MLA: He was a significant contributor to the ACT Government - being employed in Andrew's office for a number of years - most recently as his media adviser. Kurt was a professional, highly respected and dedicated member of the Labor team who will be sorely missed and impossible to replace. He was a person who always went beyond what was required of him and was always happy to volunteer his time and skills to help the Labor movement here in the ACT and across the country. As you all know from working with him - he was a natural leader, always had a smile on his face and approached every task with enthusiasm and endless positive energy. Everyone in the building knew how excited Kurt was about his six week trip of a lifetime through South America. His passing at such a young age, whilst on his overseas adventure is a terrible tragedy for which there are no words that can cushion us from the shock, the sadness and the grief that's being felt right now. I know I speak for all of you when I say the thoughts of all of us are with his family during this terrible time and we also send our thoughts to all of those who have lost loved ones or have been affected by this accident.

Federal Labor Leader Bill Shorten MP: Today, the Labor Party mourns the death of one of our own, Kurt Steel. Kurt was a popular and hugely respected member of the Labor team. His passion for Labor and our party's cause was truly awesome. His death is incredibly sad news and I know he'll be missed by so many. Our thoughts are with Kurt's family, especially his parents Jayne and Phillip, and his siblings Chris and Yasmin.

Deputy Chief Minister Andrew Barr MLA: There are no words that can cushion us from the shock, the sadness and the immense grief being felt today at the loss of our friend Kurt Steel. We have lost a dearly loved colleague and a great mate. Kurt was a professional, highly respected and dedicated leader in my office, the ACT Government and the Labor Party. He will be sorely missed and impossible to replace. Our thoughts are with Kurt’s family at this terrible time and we also send our thoughts to all of those who have lost loved ones or have been affected by this accident.

Last year during the federal election our friend turned his attention to helping the federal Labor Party and many more hundreds of people around Australia got to know and love our Kurt. Here are a few words about Kurt from Nathan Lambert (Assistant National Secretary) at the ALP National Secretariat: As you know, Kurt was immensely popular across the party -- not just in Canberra but across the nation. Everyone who worked with him admired his passion, his belief, and above all his genial nature and steady mind. He always had a twinkle in his eye; he was never rattled in a crisis; he was always happy to chip in and help. He brought a positive energy -- he would have laughed at that phrase but it's true -- to everything he did. As soon as Kurt was on board, you felt things would be done well, they would be done promptly, and they would be done in a way that the whole team could agree with and support. We were so happy to have him as part of the 2013 campaign headquarters. To be honest, we had already begun working out how to poach him from Andrew Barr again. I'm sure we weren't alone. In a line of work where people are not necessarily quick to praise or trust others, Kurt was so widely admired and relied upon. He will be truly, sorely missed.

Quite sad, nice guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

froglet posted:

When asked "what do you think of SHY" in an office surrounded by extreme right wingers its probably not advisable to say you like her or agree with her in any meaningful way. As amusing as the idea of pissing my coworkers off seems, I still have to work with them. :smith:

I'm going to try and stick it out for 6 months.

Do you work in her office?

Kim Jong ill posted:

As scummy as he is, I can't in good conscience mock someone who has withdrawn from their employment due to mental illness a drinking problem.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Splode posted:

Why do people dislike SHY? Every time it comes up, people accuse each other of being sexist and we don't get any actual concrete reasons that she's bad.
Personally I find her tone a little grating on facebook, but honestly I prefer it to Scott Ludlam's high and mighty tone anyway, and we all love him.

Because she always sounds so smug, often doesn't research an issue completely before ranting about it.

Oh, and using your child to score a political point.

Ludlam does none of the above.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Here's a cheerful list from Crikey today, which says don't worry about the terrorism, worry about loving gastro.

Yeah but look at the other things listed.

1. Not depressed
2. I'm a good driver
3. I've got a gun/karate skills so don't care.
4. Not a dirty abbo
5. Not gay
6. Not a chick
7. Not old
8. I'm a real tradie, I don't need worksafety.
9. I don't get on a roof
10. I'm not a faggy sparkie.
11. I'm not a faggy office worker
12. I'm not poor
13. I'm not a farmer
14. MUSLIMS ARE FUCKIN EVERYWHER
15. See 4

Terrorism is the only thing on that list that scares the swinging voter bogan.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ghost Who Votes posted:
Newspoll

Primary Votes: L/NP 39 (-1) ALP 35 (+1) GRN 14 (+3)
2 Party Preferred: L/NP 48 (-1) ALP 52 (+1)

Abbott: Approve 35 (-1) Disapprove 54 (-1)
Shorten: Approve 36 (-3) Disapprove 43 (+3)
Preferred PM: Abbott 37 (-2) Shorten 37 (-3)

Well, I guess we're about to go to war.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

'Yeah, but I just said that to get elected.'

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Ammonsa posted:

Well I've got waiting experience, but my boss isn't going to give me a reference now so haha. I'm in Canberra, just trying to apply for places but I don't have a car and public transport is shithouse here. So I'm limited to the southern area of Canberra realistically, honestly I'm just having a lot of trouble finding places that don't require qualifications I don't have in Canberra.

Fyshwick?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Adnar posted:

Lambie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o63FGy3mPWI

FMD that was agonizing to watch

Agonizing?

Hilarious.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Mr Chips posted:

The South Australian Health Practitioner's Tribunal board will be abolished? seems a bit more neccessary than the South Australian Goat Board.

Might the national registration board got rid of the need for state based tribunals?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Seagull posted:

They all look the same to them.

I read somewhere that the person fairfax used is actually the Grandson of a guy who went to Afghanistan in 2002 to work on brokering peace between different tribes and was assassinated for his efforts.

Good work. Hope this costs fairfax a few million and a front page apology tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

If Labor had any balls, they'd be putting up billboards all across the country telling people "Terrorism isn't a threat to the Australian way of life - the Liberal party is."

So they can swiftly lose the next election and we can enjoy another decade of Liberal rule?

Are you guys so removed from the reality of politics that you honestly think this poo poo would be a great idea and fly well with the greater electorate? Or is it because you see an extra senate seat or two for the Greens if they do it?

• Locked thread