Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm watching the first season again to get ready for the next, and I just picked up on a neat subtle bit of foreshadowing in Turn, Turn, Turn. After Skye decrypts the Hydra message, Coulson says that a hydra will always come back if you cut off the head. Garrett then asks, "Is it a head? I thought it was a limb" with a confused look on his face as he realizes their logo was wrong. Even better, it foreshadows Coulson's line about how Garrett never was good at paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Everything you say is true, from a certain point of view.

The first one I'll admit was a stretch, but I think it's possible the second was intentional. Why else would they have Garrett say that line?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

New artwork for the season premiere:

Note the two Wards at the back, and the snarl-like shadow next to the Ward on the right. Wonder what that could be?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Yeah, the crack was pointed out to me by another person right after I posted. :doh: And man, Hunter so looks like the bearded Ward that's been shown in the previews.

Deadpool posted:

Last year's posters had specific designs. I wonder if this one has similar choices. Like with Fitz looking up while Simmons is looking down. And with Skye looking toward Coulson while May looks away. Ward with the crack and back turned is obvious.

Oh yeah, I think the Fitz and Simmons thing is definitely intentional. Both of them are also the only characters with their hands together.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Loved the premiere, really looking forward to this season! Things are really drat dark, but I think one of the most :stare:-worthy scenes was when Ward was describing all of his attempted suicides, and then it cuts to Coulson calmly saying "Well, he hasn't lied so far." That was really chilling to me.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

2 minute preview showing what's up with Simmons. Putting it in spoilers just in case since the title of the article is one.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Agents-SHIELD-Spoilers-Simmons-HYDRA-1087800.aspx

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Well I think Winter Soldier happened after IM3 which means Tony probably doesn't have a new suit yet. I mean in Winter Soldier Hawkeye was supposed to show up, but again money plays a factor and really does that little plot hole really ruin the movie?

I think it was in the movie thread where someone suggested that an extra stinger should have been Clint sitting in his apartment watching television, and then noticing 90 new voice messages on his answering machine and going "...Oh crap."

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

"I've made a terrible mistake."

"Coulson, try to remember the basics of CQC."

(Clark Gregg actually holds a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

VDay posted:

I mean, she also got captured in the first place because she let the chick taze her in the back. The fights were neat and I definitely don't miss the days when we'd hear about how good May and Ward are without actually seeing any fights, but they're still TV characters and are subject to temporary lapses in competence when the plot calls for it so it's kind of hard to think of them as Black Widow-level super agents sometimes.

Well, Widow did accidentally let Batroc escape in the beginning of Cap 2, and temporarily let Pierce get the upper hand of her and Fury at the end, so she's capable of making mistakes as well.

EDIT: Actually Batroc may have been intentional, now that I think about it.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 16, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

NowonSA posted:

Requesting a gif of him cleaning up the desk. I love Skye Dad already.

Some other ones I've made:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 23, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Some gifs from earlier in the episode (please let me know if I'm going overboard):

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Another awesome episode! I'll try to make some gifs later tonight. The fight scenes continue to step it up. :aaa:

I will say one of my favorite moments was at the end with Simmons telling Ward, "If I ever see you again, I'll kill you. :stare:"

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Some gifs from the episode:

Hunter and Bobbi are the best. :allears:

I thought it was some neat cinematography to have the back of the chair be framed as bars for Ward's cell.

Ward's "Oh poo poo" face is fantastic.

Sad that they didn't go for Total Elimination. :(

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Just like the Hydra variant at the end of "Turn, Turn, Turn", I like when they manipulate the logo to fit the theme of the episode.

The Yellow Ant posted:

She trained under Luke Skywalker!

Makes sense, since she is a Star Wars fan. :v:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 30, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Holy poo poo this episode. The brothers Ward crazy-off was fantastic, and I loved how the whole abduction scene ended with a shot of them walking off together in a picturesque fall setting like the front a Hallmark card. Finding out what happened afterwards, though, was a hell of a snap back to reality. :stare:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah I really like it too but I can't figure out why

Really late, but I'm also a fan of Skye's tactical outfit. For me, I think it's the scarf/hoodie combo. Gives me a cyberpunk hacker vibe, which obviously works for her.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah I think that's what does the trick. Is it just a scarf/turtleneck thingy or is it an actual hoodie that she can wear? I can't remember if she's worn it that way/find a picture.

I think she has the hood up when she snipes Donnie.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

There's some crazy good fight stuff going on there, the gun drop is like the knife switch in Winter Solider.

Also that Van, BATTLE VAN. If the Punisher had been driving, I would have not been surprised.

I remember reading one comic where Nick Fury wants to have an enemy position completely annihilated, so he sends in Frank Castle. I would love to see something like that happen with Coulson sending in May as the nuclear option.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Episode was great, can't wait until March!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Reed Diamond was the loving man, though. Totally commanding performance as a believably repulsive human being. That moment when he turned and looked at the Doctor, just before Whitehall dies, was chilling. Completely unintimidated.

Yeah, their staredown was great:

Best Day Ever!

What a killstealer. :rolleyes: Makes sense that he plays Call of Duty.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The cast put together a really sweet farewell video to B.J. Britt. :)

http://abc.go.com/shows/marvels-agents-of-shield/news/fan-hq/12102014-goodbye-trip-bj-britt

Some really fun behind the scenes shots, an adorable farewell from Brett Dalton and his daughter(?), and Clark Gregg wants to do a #TripLives campaign. Really cool to see the camaraderie among the cast.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

BlueBayou posted:

So has the Koening thumbs=up been gif'd yet?

Sure

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

redshirt posted:

Yeah, right? He sees Skye get encased in stone, and so he lashes out at the crystals to try and break the "spell".

And in so doing kills himself while Skye/Daisy looks on.

Classic Whedon.

I really liked that scene and I can't say for sure why. I think the sad music makes it.

NowonSA posted:

Whitehall is confirmed to still be alive.

Source: The dream I just had where he was involved in all sorts of hijinx, such as falling off a cliff for a bit and landing on unsteady ground alongside his henchman.

Also, apparently people wear big shirts with "SHIELD" and "HYDRA" on them, and need to dramatically take off one of those shirts when revealing they are a double agent.

So basically it's all pro-wrestling turns. That sounds awesome.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Delsaber posted:

I guess that means Hydra is playing the role of ECW.

I'm a John Garrett Daniel Whitehall Grant Ward Guy.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

That interrogation scene was pretty depressing. Sousa tries to be sympathetic, but Thompson gets the results by playing to the vet's vice. :smith: Loved the confrontation between Stark and Carter. Atwell and Cooper both nailed it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I want to say it's Fury. Seems like it would fit him to entrust Coulson with the cube and then be like "Oh wait, I need it back for a sec!"

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

TARDISman posted:

Some small boyish part of me wants them to be working for Stark.

You know, I thought for a second that maybe they were working for Cap/Black Widow, but none of the Avengers know about Coulson being alive, so it wouldn't make sense.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

So glad I can start making gifs of the show again. :allears:

Cal continues to be the best

Maybe Skye's secondary power is time/space manipulation :tinfoil:

Just needed Coulson to be at a baptism during all of this.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Did she see the results at the Navy Wedding?

She was at the meeting where they discussed why there wasn't 100% casualties and saw the pictures from it. She even was the one to suggest that having possession of the Obelisk would make the weapon more effective.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I doubt that as much as she was defending Daisy and other team members in this weeks episode. They also made it seem that at some point Hunter could have joined them.

But remember what Ward said: The first thing an undercover agent should do is put themself in danger to gain the trust of others. :tinfoil:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Tibeerius posted:

That line stuck out as being way too colloquially-American, but gently caress it, I laughed.

Thanks for the great gifs!

No problem! And I forget, was Sif's origins in the MCU ever mentioned? The scene made it seem like Sif was originally just a regular old (Asgardian) girl that made it big by being a badass, and I think that's awesome. :3:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Cover art for the next episode:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Entertainment Weekly article about the cover. Probably should have included it in my previous post.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/19/agent-ward-returns-new-agents-shield-art

The two women are supposed to be the different aspects of Agent 33.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

[

Fun fact: According to Chloe Bennett, the synchronous Twizzler eating was completely unintended.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Just went through the Toolbox scene again.

The first screen Coulson is looking at is labeled "Fortified SHIELD Installations." Above it is labeled "The Homestead," which I'm pretty sure is what the cabin is called. It has several bullet points:

-Classified Location
-Advanced Monitoring and Security Measures
-Vibramium Blast Doors

The next menu he pulls down is "Homestead Weapons and Armaments" The other menu choices I could make out are "Local Assets" "Communications Array" and "Specialized Facilities"

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

New art is pretty awesome looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

If by the end of this season we don't get Skye dropping out of VTOL C-17 into the signature kneeling, fist in the pavement pose and causing a giant gently caress-off earthquake I'm gonna be a little disappointed. On the off chance however they're saving this for an Avengers cameo then it's all good.

I'm down for that especially if they bring back the tactical hoodie/turtleneck.

• Locked thread