Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dexo posted:

Why? Ward was pretty awesome when he reverted to the sociopath that was his natural personality. His acting where he literally couldn't figure out why Skye was rejecting him, when he betrayed the team was goddamn amazing.

Yea its pretty fuckin' boss when writers just buy all in to the sociopath thing and not just generic villain bullshit.

The acting out of the lack of comprehension was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Klungar posted:

Where is Agent Triplett? Is he not sticking with the team?

Yea this is pretty disappointing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It would be incredible and awesome if the show stuck with Ward being crazy person sociopath complete with him speaking his crazy person logic. That way every character and audience understands that he's bonkers yet understands the logic and motivation as far as his actions go.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Rocksicles posted:

gently caress, i didn't know that. Asian women eh.

Everybody ages differently and it isn't an inherent trait in any race.

BSam posted:

I was hoping that someone else would mention this but I thought a big different was in their breast sizes. I guess that makes just me the creepy guy?

I'm creepier than you and will just say that depending on bust/cup size and how the bra/dress handles the decolletage it might be hard to tell.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

PunkBoy posted:

I will say one of my favorite moments was at the end with Simmons telling Ward, "If I ever see you again, I'll kill you. :stare:"

It wasn't just that to make the moment. What really made the moment was that Ward looked at Skye. Simmons stepped in front of her to block his view, as if protecting her/denying him the pleasure of looking at her and then uttered those words. It was great.

Slashrat posted:

I really doubt Coulson would be in on any plan that involved Ward killing the random US law enforcement officers who happened to be guarding him.

Just because he fired a gun in a van with cops doesn't mean he shot anyone guys! (yea I went there)

Bruceski posted:

He fired the bullet back in time to kill the dog.

gently caress, beaten.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Random thought: What's the over/under on how many seasons it will be before Tahmoh Penikett shows up in a semi-recurring role?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 30, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bruceski posted:

If you're willing to branch into anime

Nope.

May doesn't have much of a character, but it isn't so one note that it is insulting. It's hard to show different sides of a character like this without it being obviously stuffing 10 pounds of potatoes/exposition into an 8 pound sack.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I've been re-watching Season 1, and the crap is still crap. I don't think the foreshadowing is there at all about Ward in any of the earlier episodes. I honestly don't think they decided about his turn at that point.

Sure he has poop people skills, but that's not what make him a bad guy. May had crap people skills too.

So far the most striking thing to me on the re-watch is how loving tall Agent Hand is.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Bobbi has a comic book lady body :stare:

Nah, she's only a B.

Slashrat posted:

Though I understand why they can't appear on the TV show, it is getting pretty exasperating at this point that no one even brings up the possibility of at least filling in the Avengers on what is going on, or mentions something that explains Coulson & Co not even attempting to have contact with them.

I think doing that poo poo would slow the plot down, come across fake as hell, and make AoS something that rides on coat tails instead of stands on its own.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Back to being out of nowhere computer person on Castle.

Haha, that's the same girl?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm gonna start calling Skye Daisy exclusively from now on. That's bound to piss someone off.

What's the point, we already know Skye is a Mary Sue :smug:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

hope and vaseline posted:

Fedora guy was watching Jarvis and Peggy at the harbor though.

It's obviously Kaiser Soze.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

How the gently caress is this doing badly in the ratings?

It's a really creative show with great acting and a solid tie in brand. I'm honestly finding it far more consistently solid than SHIELD.

It's not that great of a show. The acting is OK for what the show is, but it's nothing special.

It's got a lot of problems to deal with so I can understand why.

It's a limited run series. It has had almost no world building. It relies on the viewer to remember enough about this character and the world of CA1. It is also a period show.

It's doesn't tie into anything other than a movie, for the most part. A movie that came out years ago. Sure, it is in the same world as Agents of SHIELD and the Marvel franchise, but it has noting else to do with it. And its 50 years in the past.

It is only going to be an 8 episode run. So far, we're halfway through and we haven't even seen the outside threats to the SSR or any 'machinery' in place to see how it would transform into what SHIELD would be. So, still, nothing really ties it into the present other than we know that this is SHIELD's predecessor.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea I was really surprised at the absolute lack of any sexual harassment. She's a looker.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

First season started with a lot of bland characterization. Near the end it was mostly good. Really the only weak spots that persisted throughout then and Season 2 is May is still too much of a blank slate. She still isn't fleshed out enough from the silent bad-rear end stuff and every time they show her with personality it seems out of place. Not that the actress can't pull it off, just that it isn't consistent or persistent enough.

The difficulties from here on out include the courage of the writers to keep Ward a sociopath, handling the changes in Skye, and maintaining Fitz.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BlueBayou posted:

I liked AoS season 1.

But that's because I am a giant Coulson/Gregg homer. The entire show could be Coulson's life as a door-to-door vacuum salesman and I'd still watch every episode.

Coulson's character is great and I could probably agree with this.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think Bobbi and Mac are working for someone else and I am inclined to think it is Talbot but only because I am not entirely sure of the dialogue of their final scene in the episode.

For some reason, though, I get the feeling that they don't think they're working against the team.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ok, I keep on trying to remember what a Kree or Skrull is but I can't seem to get it right.

The Skrull look like the Green Goblin and the Kree look like muscley Navi or Ronan from Guardians?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The girl liked being pretty and was told by her parents/grandma/whoever that she was going to be an amazing person blabbity blah whenever she was transformed. She thought she'd be transcendent or some poo poo, not some spiky freak.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The "real" shield is where all the money and resources went after hydra was dealt with.

Do you really think that such a massive org with dozens of known and secret sites could just go poof?

It didn't. Coulson was left with remnants.

The higher ups, the level 8, 9s, whatever are still around and they control most of the resources.

They were cut out by Hydra and then again by Fury. Fury needed the true boy scout to run things, to fix things.

The 'real' shield is everything that was wrong before. But they still have power, and one thing they are certain of is Coulson should not be director.

That's why Mack tried to drive a wedge in the team earlier with his argument: he certainly doesn't think Coulson should be running it... The old guard should.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pander posted:

How did I not know he was Nathan Patrelli in Heroes? Man. I dumb.

Because he gained like 10 lbs. of muscle since then.

Seeing the dude have a short stint in Burn Notice after Heroes was like 'whoa'.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

What was the name of the lady Real Shield is so mad about dying?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'd be interested to know what Real SHIELD has been doing with all of their resources. Have they been cruising around avoiding Talbot and everything else and just decided to pop in and spy on Coulson?

How did they find out about Coulson's team?
How did they find out that Coulson had alien blood in him?
Why is Coulson untrustworthy because he has alien blood yet Mack who was possessed by aliens gets a pass?
Why is it better for Real Shield to collect and hide technology than where it is currently hidden that only two people can find out about?

I don't see a lot of difference here with how much secrecy Gonzales is going about things and how Fury went about it other than it's more 'democratized'. I mean, quick test to see if Real Shield is hypocritical or not: are they working in hand with governments around the world to protect them, or are they still hiding out collecting things?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 1, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

double nine posted:

With that in mind, WTF is ultron/civil war (I assume civil war is simply a shorthand for shield v REALshield, but I don't know per se)?

Ultron refers to a Marvel comics plotline that is going to be adapted to the Avengers: Age of Ultron movie. From what I can gather, it has something to do with a super smart and strong robot designed by Tony Stark going berserk.

Civil War refers to another Marvel comics plotline that will be adapted to Captain America 3. It won't be about Shield vs. Real Shield, it will be about superheroes fighting each other over whether or not they should be registered/regulated/identities known.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Guardians of the Galaxy really has nothing to do with whatever is happening with the earthly superheroes now other than (I think) the same alien being behind some of the chaos.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 1, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BlueBayou posted:

Guardians was a ton of fun in the theater, but I have had no desire to watch it again.

I totally agree with this. It was a fun movie to watch and I enjoyed it, but there's really nothing about it that makes it head and shoulders above everything else. I think more people will share that opinion as time goes on.

XboxPants posted:

I do think Jemma's a super-racist just like everyone else, but I do still feel she's extremely loyal to Coulson. And among her and Simmons, she does have the double agent experience, so, hey, just saying.

I believe you meant to say Fitz instead of Simmons. It is Jemma Simmons and Leo Fitz.

But, regarding Fitz, holy poo poo I hope things get better for him. Seeing how betrayed he was with Ward, and then knowing he's probably feeling the same thing with Mack.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Irish Joe makes me feel like poo poo.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

Coulsen's rather violent rejection of the real SHIELD's offer of cooperation.

Are you a battered woman?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Coulson's gotta be pretty fuckin' amazing considering SHIELD went down the shitter and he was not only able to secure the resources and manpower to upgrade Dethlok, but also do it without anyone knowing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its just Skye surprised that she's a year older than she thought and the scene doesn't mean anything.

Exactly.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I am really happy with the return of Deathlok/Mike so far. Now that he gets to be himself and kick rear end on his own terms instead of being the victim of blackmail/mind-control he seems like a fun character to have around.

Well that's pretty much out the window.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

I literally just want name drops in the movies. I don't care about actual physical cameos. But god dammit don't act like the show doesn't exist. You can mention May, Ward or FitzSimmons even if you don't wanna talk about Coulson. It's a really stupid thing.

It would come across exactly like product placement.

Iron Man: Wow, I sure am squeaky today!
Thor: Try this! <throws a can to Iron Man>
Iron Man: MMMmmmm! Coca Cola sure is refreshing!
Captain America: Coke is it!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This is a good TV show.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't get the feeling that it would help at all. In fact, it probably does more to hurt her.

Something got messed up and Jiayang screwed up and now there is not only an outsider chillin' at the compound, but now they know she is giving special treatment to Skye because she is her daughter.

As if that's bad enough (it is, with how Jiayang talks) but now there's a new chick in town doing the whole prophet thing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

boom boom boom posted:

Does this show get legit good, or good in comparison to how it began?

I don't know what you like.

I think it was an OK show from the start that had some big flaws. Coulson was its big saving grace to me, so on that we differ.

The contrivances of adding Skye to the plot/team really stretch the premise. But, once all that rogue hacker poo poo is dumped to the wayside the show is a lot better for it. Agent May's character from silent bad rear end is tiring, but it slightly evolves into a mother hen confidant type thing, which helps.

Fitz and Simmons' characterization isn't all that great in the beginning, it takes a long time (nearly season two) before the show starts to add differences.

The monster of the week poo poo is dull, but you kind of need to throw that poo poo in there to give the characters poo poo to do and to build upon them. The whole centipede poo poo does actually go somewhere, and some of the monster of the week poo poo has a purpose to the overall season arc.

Some of your other recent concerns seem to be more about the fact that this is a TV show on a TV show budget and not a movie on a movie budget.

Other than that, I legit like the show. While before I would have been ashamed to admit I watch the show, I think its cool.

I've been trying and trying to get my wife to watch it, and she isn't interested. Drives me fuckin' insane because she likes poo poo like Dr. Who, Warehouse 13, and a whole bunch of other crappy sci fi stuff. She's starting to get into Continuum, though.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

OK, I missed something big:
What was the whole point of getting Agent 33 inside SHIELD?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I could have sworn Coulson/Gonzales ordered May and Bobbi to scout ahead.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Any EJO power that does not involve origami is a shame.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Thank goodness for the live posters or else I wouldn't have realized I fast
Forwarded through Gemma getting swallowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

A bunch of pages back: but I'm still :lol: at Boobi Morse.

• Locked thread