Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

e X posted:

I said it in the old thread and I say it again, keeping Ward evil actually allows them to show us the supervillain side of MCU.

Ward, pissed at his defeat by Agent May, escapes wherever they are holding him and goes on a quest for supervillain powers in order to take down the team. That would be fun.

I don't see how they could do a redemption with a straight face considering he straight up murdered people. You don't really come back from that in TV shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Man, I'm remembering Ward's heel turn again and I forgot how much I loved it. Kills a bunch of people, betrays everyone, dumbfounded that Skye doesn't love him.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Ok so we're off to a much better start here

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh poo poo Fitz

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Ward incoming

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

Go away forever Skyeward

This is hilarious what are you talking about. Skye is creeped out, Ward is full on crazy.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Solaris Knight posted:

So, current consensus is, much improved?

Well the end of last season was pretty fun, so let's say slightly improved or consistent with those.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Holy gently caress Simmons isn't even there

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

This is a loving season premiere episode goddamn

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Wait who was that again I forgot.

The Nazi from the beginning flashback with the Howling Commandos.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

imperialparadox posted:

The great thing about doing the Ward-Skye thing is that instead of having Skye wanting to save him with "true love," they seem to be really committed to her hating the ever lovin' poo poo out of him, which is great and more realistic. On top of that, Ward is really, really, loving crazy, and he still loves Skye because he's batshit insane and that is what he is gonna do.

Seriously, Ward comes off now as completely creepy, and I wonder what would happen if he got out. :ohdear:

Grabs Skye to abduct her, shoots Shield agents in the face as he does it, turns to her as they are lying dead on the ground and says "look I know we have a lot to work on but we have something together."

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

greatn posted:

I hope Lucy lawless character really is dead and doesn't come back. Death is already a revolving door in MCU if you're a named good guy. The show is more interesting if there are life and death stakes.

Victoria Hand is upset by this post

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Ward displayed how good of a fighter he was in that one scene where he took out a whole poo poo ton of guys. He also basically won the fight against May but for the nail gun. I think he's been presented as suitably bad rear end.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Jamesman posted:

So Raina isn't working for HYDRA anymore? Interesting.

She never was really working for them, just with them. Means to an end.

I don't get how this episode is boring really, it's not balls to the wall like the premiere but it's fine.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Who cares.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Uh am I the only one that heard Dale Cooper talk about his Daughter? The only person with a mystery dad plot point is Skye, so he's Skye's dad.

Yeah but it's been known for a while that Agent Cooper was playing Skye's dad, that's why nobody made it a big thing in this thread (I think).

At least I knew it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wow what happened to this show? I stopped watching it after the episode where they went to Russia and Ward and Fitz/Simmons (can never remember which one is which) almost died because the show was just dumb at that point. I accidentally read a spoiler about the second season about Ward being a traitor and went back and watched the rest of the episodes so now I'm caught up. The show is actually good now?

Although I was really confused what was happening with the whole Hydra and Robin thing because I didn't watch Captain America 2, so I went ahead and watched that too. It looks like there are actual "super" heroes with powers in the show now. Are the characters still harping about how "no, telekinetic powers and mind reading etc does not exist" even though they have literal stone men? There's also that end credit scene in Captain America 2 with The Twins (whoever they are) doing magical stuff. I'm led to believe that the Marvel movies and Marvel Agents of Shield are set in the same universe.

Is there a general Marvel thread? Because I'm kinda wondering why in Captain America 2, why if getting those helicarriers up would kill so many people why the other Avengers weren't called in to help. I mean I thought I saw Tony Stark as a target and surely he wouldn't wanna die. It just seemed too important to just let 1 guy with a shield handle it.

It's subjective, but yes most people think this show is much better now.

I don't remember anyone denying that powers existed, though most of them have some attempt to ground themselves in science. The show has been talking about 084 stuff for a long time. I mean, the very first episode had a dude with powers, though again they were science induced.

Who the hell cares, it was a Captain America movie not an Iron Man movie. Why wasn't Captain America brought in to help at the end of IM3 when the President was in danger? You could ask that dumb question about every movie in this universe except the Avengers. Of course the real answer for why it would never be considered is Robert Downey Jr. is loving expensive, that's why. Also it wasn't just handled by one guy with a shield, there was a dude with a sweet jet-pack and a superspy.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 5, 2014

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

It's funny how Ward keeps trying to tell her about her dad but she won't let him.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Jamesman posted:

I'm getting a little bit of a "magical negro" vibe off of him since he's being Fitz's miracle worker and all. Can't shake it.

What.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Why go in there if you don't want to talk to him?

He didn't know.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Jamesman posted:

The supporting black character who helps the lead white character with their problems. You've never heard about this?

I know what it is, I just think you're dumb.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I like that they even have Hydra branded folders.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

There is no way we make it through this season without Ward escaping. Either by his own initiative, or by Skye letting him out so he can take her to her father when events dictate that it is important to find him.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

Comic book aficionado's may clap with glee at the slightest nod to a comic book story/character but most of the episodes are feeling like filler already.

I've already got very bad feelings about where the Ward thing is going - he's going to get let off lightly :argh:
I thought Fitz made a better "mentally impaired" person before the hypoxia. Cringeworthy every time he is on screen :(

I'd hoped they'd pick up the pace intensity from the second half of Season 1 but it looks like we're going to get another half season of weak aimless episodes before they ramp it up for the mid-season break then kick on from there.

Is this happening because they have to wait for the main movie storylines to be finalised and the series has to plod along without committing until then?

:what:

Are you sure you are watching the right show?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

What? I'm not suggesting he isn't evil.

It's not something we can discuss in this thread anymore.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Inkspot posted:

Thank you! That's all I wanted to know! I must have just missed the part about the symbols being reported along with the painting's miraculous survival. I sat through the entire episode getting more and more frustrated as all of this cool stuff happened and not knowing how they knew to even track down the painting in the first place.

The thought of you getting frustrated at cool stuff happening because you think there is a small foundational detail missing is getting me frustrated.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I think The Flash kind of cheated a little bit, since it's a continuation of Arrow. It started off as strong as it did because it benefited from all the lessons they learned making two seasons of Arrow.

To bring it back to a (slightly) more thread-appropriate topic, I hope that Marvel does the same and keeps in mind the lessons of Agents of SHIELD while making Daredevil. If that comes out of the gate as strong as The Flash it'd be amazing.

I heard the footage of Daredevil they showed at the NY Comic Con killed.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

e X posted:

So, is that supposed to be Madame Hydra or just some random female Hydra officer?

It's mockingbird.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Snap

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

This show is so much better now it's actually unbelievable.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

This show loving owns now

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh poo poo Age of Ultron trailer

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Tunklord Supreme posted:

I'm probably way off base with this, but his first and last scenes this episode were giving me a real strong Dr. Calvin Zabo/Mr. Hyde vibe. Not an Inhuman in the comics but who knows if that's true in the MCU.

Well going by some quick Google searching that would make Skye Quake?

It could sort of work I guess, and her dad is called The Doctor.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Alien juice didn't make Coulson and Garret that good at effortlessly murdering large numbers of people.

I'm glad they ditched the Simmons in Hydra plot because it would strain my credibility for her to actually be very successful at it. She really is a bad liar.

I'm not sure how to break this to you but I'll try to do it gently. The person named Simmons, who was called a terrible liar in season 1 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., is a fictional character whose qualities (such as, say, an ability to lie) can be changed or molded over time in order to tell a story. For an example of this, see the character Skye from the very same show, who went from being useless to a competent field agent in the space between seasons.

What I'm saying is your point is ridiculous.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Spergatory posted:

And your point is stupid. Yes, literally anything can happen in a fictional story but that doesn't mean it should happen. There is a thing called credibility, which is much like a rubber band* in that it can be stretched. Stretch it too far, too fast, and it will snap. Stretch it slowly, however, and it will hold together much better. If Simmons is going to become a good liar, she's going to need to do it slowly so as not to strain credibility.

*Anuses work the same way, come to think of it.

Yeah ok. Looking for credibility in this show is pretty drat stupid. Just from this last episode, Coulson apparently had some magical escape plan for Simmons already in place, with a [stealth jet sitting outside the building, when he had no idea that Raina was going to give him only 2 minutes before exposing Simmons. You could argue that character trait credibility is more important, and maybe I'd agree, but the point still stands. You could pick these nits regarding credibility in every single episode, the show doesn't do a great job of following its own internal rules. But that's fine.

Additionally, I love how you want the show to take it slowly with moving characters forward and having them grow when that was 90% of the complaints about the first half of season 1. If the first 5 episodes of season 2 had a plotline where Simmons was gradually learning to be a better liar with an ultimate payoff of infiltrating Hydra people would be tearing out their hair asking the show to just get on with it.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 22, 2014

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Ahhh which Ward is telling the truth.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Skye you're getting too close girl

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006