Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I noticed that when I take a selfie on my 13P, looking at the screen produces a photo where I’m looking at the “camera”. With my XS, I had to look at the camera at the top of the screen. Am I crazy or has anyone else noticed this? When did this change happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why do photos taken with my 13 Pro appear blurry for a moment when I’m scrolling through them? I don’t have iCloud backup turned on. Is this an HDR thing?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Wait, iCloud Backup or iCloud Photos? They are separate. If you have just iCloud Photos enabled it could be doing the thing where the full size file is not stored on the phone. If you have iCloud Backup enabled but not iCloud Photos, your photos are also part of your iCloud Backup but the full size photos will remain on the phone.
I have both iCloud backup and iCloud photos disabled. The only thing I use iCloud for is saving text messages. I turned on airplane mode and it’s still doing it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's probably someone more knowledgeable than me, but off the top of my head, it sounds like you've done everything you can on your end. But you might want to reset your network settings for the hell of it.
Is there a way to save your WiFi passwords when you reset network settings?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anton Chigurh posted:

Not directly that I'm aware of, but you could use a password manager on iOS to save them.
It just seems wild to me that a standard troubleshooting technique is to completely wipe out a bank of passwords that can be a pain to replace.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just noticed something on my 13P which is the top part of the screen with the notch is now apparently off limits for apps to render. Is this an iOS 15 thing? Annoyingly though the notch still blocks a few pixels of video in landscape mode.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 20, 2021

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the image processing on the 13 pro, my wife got one and the cat pictures she sends me feels like the sharpening is cranked way too high. I thought maybe she was messing with sliders but I see it in this photo too, the edges are super crunchy.
Our of curiosity, does she have the photographic style set to something other than classic? 13P has been great for me:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 24, 2021

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I lost one of my AirPod Pro buds on the train. :doh: It looks like $90 for a replacement. Am I able to do that immediately in-store or do I need to go through the online process? I ask because don’t the buds have individual serial numbers and aren’t they matched so the single replacement bud will have a random one?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 1, 2021

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inner Light posted:

lol.... I don't think Josh is asking about the serial number for HIS benefit, because he cares about the number. I think he is checking if the serial number matching will affect pairing a new bud to your Pros case.

The answer is no.... the Apple Store will handle all that if you're going in physically for the replacement. Not sure how they handle it if they mail it out to you but I assume they have a workflow.

It's an interesting question nonetheless if the individual buds are serialized..... I think they are, but I'm guessing it's mainly used for internal Apple stuff like inventory and manufacturing data. I don't know if it's visible to a consumer in any way.
Yeah this is it. I wouldn't even know about serial numbers on the individual buds except when I returned a set to Costco, they spent a while trying to read the tiny numbers on them.

In any case, I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment. A needless $90 down the dtrain.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 1, 2021

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does iMessage need a cell signal to verify your account?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

I know phone screens these days are supposedly made out of magic scratch proof super glass but the idea of putting anything that isn’t soft and edgeless in the same pocket as my phone is absolutely horrifying.

I’ve never scratched a phone screen and I believe it’s this policy that’s kept me safe in over a decade of smartphone usage.
My iPhone 13 Pro fell out of my pocket when I pulled down my pants in a changing room and the screen got scratched :cry:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone had their AirPod Pro ear tip fit test fail over time? I got mine last July and the test said medium tips were good. After I lost an earbud in September when it fell out on the train, I swapped for large and was generally happy. In the past month, I switched back to normal because my new concert earplugs fit well with medium tips, but just now, my AirPod Pros failed the fit test with either medium or large tips. I've tried blowing into the grills and cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips since people claim dirt buildup can cause issues, but no luck.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 13, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got a work phone about a year ago, an iPhone XS which is somehow still the current standard issue. :what:

It's basically a fancy RSA token, but I also use it for zoom audio so I don't kill the battery on my personal phone. But that's about it. :shrug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Looks like Verizon switched from 24 to 36 months on trade-in credit in February; I took advantage of the $800 promo on my XS when I got a 13 Pro at launch and my bill shows it as $33.33/mo, so I think I'm good to upgrade for the 15 Pro.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it just me or did there used to be a built-in level when you turned on the grid in the camera app but that seems to have been removed?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

I can't say I remember one in the camera app. It would be nice, I apparently like to take photos very askew.
When you had the grid enabled, the lines in the center square would tilt based on the accelerometer. This feature was introduced around 2018 but now it's gone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

Halide does this.
I just checked the Camera+ app and I think that’s what I was confusing it with. :doh:

Halide seems nice but since I already own Camera+, I’m not sure I’d gain much for cat pics and watch macros.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can someone recommend a small/cheap portable battery charger that does the USB-C fast charging output? Fast charging input would be good too I suppose.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

Define small/cheap.

I have two different mophie “powerstation” batteries, but not these ones exactly.

https://www.zagg.com/en_us/powerstation-2020
https://www.zagg.com/en_us/powerstation-pd-2020
Since it's Prime Day, I spent a few hours looking into this and the product category is pretty dire.

This seems like my ideal charger design (10,000 mAh, built-in USB-C and Lightning cables, built-in AC prongs, LCD capacity display) but the products on Amazon that look like this all have issues with the cables fraying and the connectors breaking, so that's a no go. Shame though because it would theoretically* save me from having to pack any extra charging cables/adapters when I travel:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09B6TYKDB/

*The problem is I've never really used a power bank, so I don't know what my usage patterns would be. For example, if my phone battery is ~20% at the end of the day and I didn't need to use the power bank, I would still need to bring a Lightning cable + USB-C AC adapter to charge my phone overnight because charging from the power bank overnight means it would have limited capacity for the next day,

If I went with a traditional power bank without built-in cables, I would have to bring a Lightning cable + AC adapter to charge my phone overnight, plus a second adapter + USB-C to USB-C cable to charge the power bank overnight. I also worry about losing the Lightning cable while I'm out and about during the day, but this may be unfounded.

I guess what probably makes the most sense is an AC adapter with built in power bank, USB-C PD + USB-A outlets, and pass-through charging to charge both my phone and the power bank overnight. Then I would only have to bring a Lightning cable. However, most of the ones I've seen with this design are quite bulky and expensive, though this Anker seems to be the least worst (wish it had LCD capacity display though).
https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Portable-10000mAh-Delivery/dp/B08GKL41V4/

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 13, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For those of you who've had AirPod Pros for a while, how is the battery life of the case holding up? I've had mine for a little over 1 year and the case only seems to hold a couple charges now, even though I only use my AirPods ~2 hours/week.

I got the earbuds replaced a month ago under warranty, so they have full battery. I fully depleted them last night and the case had 80% left after fully charging the earbuds when I went to sleep. I didn't use them all today but tonight the case says 70%. :confused:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

For those of you who've had AirPod Pros for a while, how is the battery life of the case holding up? I've had mine for a little over 1 year and the case only seems to hold a couple charges now, even though I only use my AirPods ~2 hours/week.

I got the earbuds replaced a month ago under warranty, so they have full battery. I fully depleted them last night and the case had 80% left after fully charging the earbuds when I went to sleep. I didn't use them all today but tonight the case says 70%. :confused:
I did a full deplete on my AirPod Pros again last night and the case battery dropped from 70% to 54% while doing a batterysafe charge on the earbuds up to 80%, which again is fine, which lines up with the previous night's charge (4% case battery to charge earbuds 20%).

Some Reddit posts seem to indicate the drop in case charge from 80% to 70% over the course of ~18 hours was due to the Find My network, which kinda makes sense. There's also people on Reddit saying resetting their AirPods, disconnecting/reconnecting them to their Apple account fixed battery life issues, but who knows what was going on with those scenarios.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 28, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

japtor posted:

Don't they only update when you open the case and/or use the AirPods?* 10% over ~18 hours doesn't seem too bad, particularly for a tiny battery, which is probably trickle charging the tinier batteries in the AirPods themselves.

*Which makes the function pretty limited sure, but it's essentially something they tacked on in software through the paired iOS device
I’m pretty sure they ping the AirPods periodically because I’ll get notifications that I left my AirPods behind when I run errands.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The hard plastic EarPods/AirPods never made sense to me bc you have to blast volume so loud since there's zero seal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought people force quit apps to free up ram more than save battery. Does it not help with either?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

What are the odds new AirPod Pros get announced? My right pod just blew out on mine and I’m a few months out of warranty. :(
I had a similar thing happen early last September, lost an AirPod Pro on the train.

No new product meant I ponied up $90 for a replacement bud. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Costco will often do great promos too which do not have monthly bill credits but all of it up front.
I traded in my XS toward a 13 Pro at Costco last year and it's just a monthly credit on my Verizon bill.

I would not recommend buying through Costco because their wireless kiosk is a shitshow (this is the general consensus on Reddit). If I had to do it again, I would've gone through Duckman2008.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone figured out a good solution for magic wand cutting things (cats) from a photo to reuse in something like IG stories? So far I’ve been pasting them into an iMessage I send myself. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Those orbs reflecting bright point sources are how I can clearly identify that a YouTube video or whatever was shot with an iPhone. It's a distinctive stupid aspect of their image pipeline optics and I have no idea why. Doesn't happen with other smartphones or cameras.
I always thought it had something to do with the lenses. I feel like it happened with point and shoot cameras I had like 15 years ago.