Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Radbot posted:

I'm no master of global logistics - why would Apple create the sapphire in the US and then ship it to China? Is this a special proprietary tech that only GT has?

American workers are really expensive for lovely jobs that they don't want to do anyway, while Chinese dudes will
Work for a bowl of rice a day

Hope this economics lesson helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

After some thought and serious meditation on a mountain away from men, I've concluded that (coming from a 5S) I'm a bit underwhelmed with the new offerings. Basically bigger numbers. Even the design is not driving me crazy, while the tall phone seemed beautiful from the start. I will miss the shiny edges too. The bigger screen is not a selling point for me, the 5S seems the perfect size already for my hands, there is still a 10% of the top right screen where I can't reach comfortably but it still works.

I just don't want these new phones.

Seems to me they might have overstretched their team with the whole Apple Watch rush. I don't want an Apple Watch either, but apparently they're gonna sell like hotcakes.

If I had a 4S still I'd be all over the 6, I suppose. Anyone else on a 5 or 5S that is not "feeling it" this year?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

It's loving 2014, killing the 32gb instead of making it the baseline model and keeping the 16gb was a dick move, "Apple's not running a charity" or not.

Were it 2012 or even last year I'd have cut them some slack but come on, it's like the loving 8th iteration of a yearly model.

I don't even use the 16gb, I've always got the 64gb but it bothers me that they did this on their "luxury phone".

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

jackpot posted:

All anyone's saying, without any outrage or hysteria, is that it likely would have been trivial, as far as a company like Apple is concerned, to make the base model 32gb instead of 16gb. It's true that for $100 more you can get tons more space, but it would've been nice to save $100 and have enough space. We understand that they've done the math and that this way will make them X more dollars, it's just an "it would've been nice" kind of situation. No one's saying anything stupid like "They should just sell everything at cost!" because that's stupid.

They would've gone with base 32gb model, but then they decided that paying 100 million to U2 was a better idea

flavor posted:

Not in my loving 2014! I demand that my luxury articles follow my pre-ordained pricing pattern! loving poo poo!

What if some of the other parts that nobody thinks of went down in cost? That'd be a oval office move!

My virgin ears! Not on the SA forums!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

flavor posted:

It's about you. I'm sorry that I'm not sharing your exact opinions on every little thing.

(So since you're emphasizing "consistently", I guess it also wasn't okay to bring up recently that I want more than 16 GB in a Mac Pro, even though I supported that need with data. That must also have been a bad post, for which I apologize.)

If what I'm saying bothers you so much, just ignore my posts. Interestingly, you had already announced a little while ago that you'd do that. So please actually do that now.

:agreed:

Wait, he's right, you suck

In other news, supposedly the iPhone 6 bump is pretty noticeable and Apple is hiding it in ads?

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2014/09/10/u2-blew/

Sorry that wasn't it, that's a guy taking Apple over the coals for being tone dead about the U2 thing, here's the one complaining about the i6 bump deceptive photos on Apple's store
https://brooksreview.net/2014/09/the-bump/

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Kobayashi posted:

Even his Gruberness is dissing on Apple for the entry level iPhone having 16 Gb of storage:

And even when Apple Fan #1 disses apple, there's people saying they don't owe you a thing and Apple knows business and so on...

In this very thread even.

It's a poo poo move, I don't care if any other companies do it or not, Apple should do better in 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

phongn posted:

My wife just had to clean up her 16GB iPhone 5 so she could do an OTA update to iOS 8. She doesn't have a ton of apps though she does take quite a few photos. It really is kind of space constrained.

Well the easy solution according to this thread is for your wife to not buy her iphone, or alternatively, to not exist

hope this helps

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Does anyone have the tumblr App working successfully with their photos app? From what I understand you should be able to post photos and poo poo to other apps, but I don't have Facebook or twitter to test and my tumblr app seems to crash whenever I try to send it a photo straight from my camera roll*

* Or whatever the camera roll is called now, not getting the new photos app yet

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Apple Warrior #1 says it's a non issue

Get Bent ★
I cannot believe that this “bent iPhone 6 Plus” thing is becoming a thing. Watch this jackass’s video — inexplicably promoted by Time magazine. Should not we be amazed that his phone didn’t snap in half under this pressure? That the glass didn’t fracture? Under pressure like this, bending but not breaking seems like an extraordinary feature. If you feel pressure like this on your iPhone 6 in your pocket, you need looser pants. And if you put your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, I’m not sure what to tell you.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

empty baggie posted:

IIRC, it was supposed to fix HealthKit and some wifi issues.

Making phone calls is unhealthy for you, it probably gives you brain tumors, so Apple's doing you a favor

nebby posted:

i'm a huge apple whore but totally am worried they're losing it.

- the reveal stream was a total gently caress up
- the iphone 6 is too big. the plus is just bizarre. i literally do not want to upgrade my phone even though i can afford it. Reachability is hilarious, shows they are shoving square peg into a round hole.
- nobody wanted a loving U2 album, it was like two old dudes trying to force 'cool' on us
- the watch has potential feels like they are starting to enjoy the smell of their own farts too much. if they throw a $10k price tag on the gold one they have jumped the shark.

also I work in VR and Apple is probably going to fight VR tooth and nail because having a computer on your face probably goes against their design sensibilities. the problem is VR is going to be insanely awesome soon. samsung is about to smoke them with Gear VR.

I'm not an apple ho but I've been using their products since 2010 and loving it. I agree, it looks like they've hosed up way more than I saw around 2012-2013. Seems to me they focused too much on their stupid watch and well who the gently caress knows what phone users want anymore? Make it bigger was the low hanging fruit left for Apple.

I don't know about the VR, there's a bunch of rumors and news for Apple patenting 3D stuff.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Bunch of bent users itt if you ask me

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Just for completeness sake since you've probably already seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVO_aleen6E

neat4lyfe198214 hours ago

This is not a real feature. If any of you have been paying attention to the news, this is actually a defect in the way of the phone was designed. From these defects, to the expensive data plans, to the ways they track down your data and information, children should be explicitly forbidden from having access to these devices. You better believe that Apple cares just as much about the structural integrity of its phones as it does about protecting children from dangerous predators.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

eames posted:

:bravo:

(it's real: enter 34103377 in the searchbox here: https://jobs.apple.com/us/search)

Does this mean someone got fired, they didn't have anyone to check "Will it bend?" or maybe a really bad coincidence?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Upghazi

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I'm on 8.02 and I've got cellular service
What a loving magical time to be alive, you've knocked it out of the park again, Apple!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Flaccid Phonegate

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Seems this guy is the sacrifice for the bloodthirsty masses:

Manager in charge of quality control for iOS 8.0.1 also oversaw launch of Apple Maps

So, who’s responsible for Apple’s botched iOS 8.0.1 update?

According to a new report by Bloomberg, it’s Josh Williams, who is in charge of quality assurance for iOS. Interestingly, he was also linked to the quality (or lack thereof) of Apple’s much maligned Maps app debut in iOS 6.

“Josh Williams, the mid-level manager overseeing quality assurance for Apple’s iOS mobile-software group, was also in charge of quality control for maps, according to people familiar with Apple’s management structure,” Bloomberg reports.

If you’ll recall, the Apple Maps controversy of 2012 led to the firing of Scott Forstall, Apple’s then chief of mobile software, and Richard Williamson, who was in charge of the mapping software whose release was marred by inaccurate information.

Williams, who had long been working on iPhone software quality control, was also removed, but only from the Maps team and not from the company altogether. According to one of Bloomberg sources, he remained in charge of testing for iOS.

Testing for iOS, of course, includes quality assurance for updates, even minor ones, to the mobile operating system. But quality control clearly failed with the release of iOS 8.0.1 yesterday.

The update was supposed to bring improvements and bug fixes, especially a fix for a bug that had been deterring the release of HealthKit-compatible apps on the App Store. But it was found to affect cellular network connectivity and Touch ID on the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus.

A probable cause of the function degradation that came with iOS 8.0.1 is that the recently released smartphones hadn’t been tested long enough to spot critical issues. As reported by Bloomberg, “the engineers who test the newest software versions often don’t get their hands on the latest iPhones until the same time that they arrive with customers, resulting in updates that may not get tested as much on the latest handsets.”

Williams’ team is also said to rely more on manual bug detection than automated testing.

Just moments ago, Apple released iOS 8.0.2 as a replacement of and a fix for iOS 8.0.1, which, according to the company, affected fewer than 40,000 out of the more than 10 million iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus units that it had sold.

Goddamn it Josh

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

So my 6+ is my first iPhone since the 4, so a lot of stuff is new. It looks like the Apple Store app and Google Wallet set up a geo fence, so I have the geo fence menu item displayed 100% of the time, which is annoying. If it works like I think it does, this shouldn't cause any battery drain because it uses the cell tower/wifi triangulation stuff and not precise GPS location information. But it's still annoying to have the geo fence icon up 100% of the time. Do you guys just turn off location for dumb apps that do this or just put up with the stupid icon?

I'm an autist so I turn it off because I hate that arrow and I hardly ever benefit from whatever those geofences offer, it's not like I'm traveling all over town.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

A tomato posted:

The antenna lines are exactly as bad as you thought they were when you saw the first leaks; before you convinced yourself they didn't matter. The non-flush camera is bad. My emails don't get pushed to my phone anymore and no, that isn't old news, I really was getting push emails two days ago on my 5S. Non-updated apps look like garbage and make me angry. I've hit a couple of weird bugs that disappear with restart, but maybe those would have presented on my old phone too. 128GB of storage is probably overkill but totally rad. The curved edges feel really nice when swiping left and right; I like that a lot. The camera takes great pictures and I love the new slo-mo video. The 6 is probably 2/10 of an inch too big and the 6+ made me actually angry when I held/tried to hold it in the store. I like the big display for pictures and a handful of websites, but it doesn't change my Twitter game and I'm using the reachability shortcut a lot. The iPhone 4 was a museum-quality piece of art and these phones are nowhere near the same caliber of design. Are you really still reading this? Sorry. I'm giving the thing another week before selling it for a new 5S.

I feel a little better now.

I'm actually interested in your weekly report, seeing as I'm about the same level of aspergian insufferability. Your concerns seem to be exactly like mine, and I'm in loving love with my current 5S (which I liked from the moment I saw it and held it). Interested to know if you'll still sell it in a week.

I always thought the sweet spot was going to be 4.5 and killing the bezels on top or something, but Apple probably would never allow the phone front face to be asymmetrical

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

That could be a bar trick. Ask super sexy smokin' ladies to bend your phone, then you do it like it's pound cake.

Why would an Apple user be interested in sexy ladies? Or ladies, at all, lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Yeah they should do more 4 point bend tests to demonstrate that the new iPhone can't stand up to a man intentionally trying to break his phone, which is shameful. This relates to the phone bending when you put it in gym shorts because

I don't know, that video really shows it cracking open like some chocolate bar

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

My X is screwed. I thought it was water resistant...

I washed it for a few seconds with running water in the sink to clean a smudge... and the Face ID camera died, telling me to go to Apple service to fix 😐

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I’ve seen submersion videos for iPhones since the iPhone 7 and they all handled chillin in the bottom of a bucket of water for an hour just fine, I didn’t expect the X to die after a few seconds of running water from the top/front. :11tea:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zero One posted:

You can also try turning face Id off and then set it back up again.

I got the Face id needs repair message once (unrelated to water) and resetting it fixed it.

I already tried, restored everything etc

I guess I’m getting a replacement phone, they’re telling me to bring it in ☎️

I wonder if I can exchange it for a different color? I really don’t like this blackish Space grey

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Siri is actively getting worse, those are not unusual complaints. I suspect it’s got to do with their machine learning having a go in the Siri team but who knows.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Where am I supposed to watch the WWDC livestream

I guess swift 5 is coming maybe ?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Pivo posted:

10am Pacific, 1pm Eastern, whichever in between.

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2018/

There's also usually live mirrors on YouTube for people who can't get Apple's player to work on their machine (requires Edge on Windows lol)

Thanks Pivo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Over There posted:

Is there a keynote thread?

Lol what for, everything has leaked already

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

3D Touch in order to preview WhatsApp msgs without actually triggering the “seen” check mark is worth 250 bucks to me

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3ygE6H7PU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Edit: Ehhh not iPhone related

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

spanky the dolphin posted:

Appreciated. This is genius!

Hmm doesn’t seem to work with gifs

Edit: I guess you have to set it to ask and you can choose jpgs and gifs, test:

Nope

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 1, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

LPG Giant posted:

I found a cool shortcut: select it on a youtube video in safari and it will download the file and put it in vlc! https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/36cad9d61e094035bff8d2d912185ab7

Wow this loving owns

And I just bought the Softorino YouTube Downloader 🤦🏻‍♂️

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

TraderStav posted:

drat, that works great! Even get the opportunity to modify the name! Thank you!

We need to create a repository of all the good shortcuts.

Ill make the website !

Haha jk I’m not 19 anymore :(

But I’m down for a repository, the YT->VLC loving owns and I’ve found a couple that are fun

such as an Instagram vid/photo saver: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/71d1dd10b22644c5a6d85b11e72508cf

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Kiranamos posted:

Am I doing something wrong that it won’t open these links in safari?

Errr check that you’ve got iOS 12 shortcuts app installed? Some firewall on your end?

They work for me

This one’s cool, people are making mini apps with this, check out the steps

Social Media Downloader (works with lots of sites)

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/97c8db4344554f18bf6e23b4c2c43aaa

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Minidust posted:

I keep getting a message about VLC not being installed; is there actually a different VLC app I should be using or perhaps a setting I need to change within the app? Just downloaded it fresh so not sure if there’s a trick to “activating” it or something. This is from launching Shortcuts via the share sheet in Safari:

Try other links, there’s a few that wouldn’t open for me with the same error

Edit: the app that works for me is VLC FOR MOBILE from Videolan dev

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

WerthersWay posted:

All 3 of the 3rd party iphone chargers in my house suddenly stopped working last night. Simultaneously. Was there something in the new update that had a part in this?

Yeah you gotta make sure your phone is unlocked to charge lol

I mean it might be that if you're on iOS 12

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

This.

Also is there a reason why iPhone X’s Maxxxxx screen shots are 14MB png files??

That’s loving ridiculous.

Because it has like a billion pixels on that screen

edit: Wait a second, shouldn't you be getting HEIC files if you're taking screenshots directly on the device

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 5, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I have an X and it should be smaller to be perfect, peak iPhone was the 5S

https://sharecuts.app/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Nice stereotypes you jerk