Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Since I got my launch day iPhone 5S, I've had it in this card holder case:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFGTCJO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_VoUeub0ZDETVR

And now that I've ordered a 6, I realized I don't carry my wallet with me anywhere at all. Tried ordering a Shenzhen special of similar but tackier design but it won't be here until probably October. Here's hoping The case selection improves as the dimensions have all been confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

A MIRACLE posted:

I ordered the gold one. Gold brings luck!

You will love the 2012 Lucky Goldstar Nexus 4 then!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Don Tacorleone posted:

After some thought and serious meditation on a mountain away from men, I've concluded that (coming from a 5S) I'm a bit underwhelmed with the new offerings. Basically bigger numbers. Even the design is not driving me crazy, while the tall phone seemed beautiful from the start. I will miss the shiny edges too. The bigger screen is not a selling point for me, the 5S seems the perfect size already for my hands, there is still a 10% of the top right screen where I can't reach comfortably but it still works.

I just don't want these new phones.

Seems to me they might have overstretched their team with the whole Apple Watch rush. I don't want an Apple Watch either, but apparently they're gonna sell like hotcakes.

If I had a 4S still I'd be all over the 6, I suppose. Anyone else on a 5 or 5S that is not "feeling it" this year?

You have sufficiently Defended Your Purchase

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

smackfu posted:

Personally, I just need 32 GB. I was hoping Apple would increase the base model, so I could spend $100 less. They did not. That's a minor annoyance.

Well, congratulations because Apple is now giving you twice the storage for what would have been the cost of the 32gb model! :toot:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Tab8715 posted:

Does anyone's iPhone actually use more than a 1GB of Ram?

Yes, I installed several more RAMs in order to accommodate my use case.

What kind of question is this?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

AlternateAccount posted:

It's more that the online support offered to swap it out in a cross ship and this dude thinks I have nothing better to do than sit around an apple store for an hour and a half.

"That sonofabitch can't fix objects instantaneously, what a dumbass! I'd much rather coordinate and then wait several days for someone across the country to ship me a refurbished phone and the send the old one back and then go through the hassle of restoring a backup."

From the sound of it, you do literally have nothing better to do.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Laserface posted:

Why would there ever be a need for a phone to have HDMI out?

Im imagining a business exec type plonking his phone on the table, connecting to a projector to play his spreadsheets and power points awkwardly until the battery ultimately fails and he just gets out his Dell laptop anyway.

That was indeed the imagined use case.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
I'm liking that the battery life is better even on the 6. I'm chalking it up to the standby time being better with screen off due to the increased battery size.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:siren:RAM-gate!:siren:

(Coining it now.)

Don't steal my speed metal band name, please.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Not putting a case on my phone. Never have, never will. It's honestly for paranoid butterfingers type people. Neither my 4 nor 5 were bastardized with a case and they both survived countless drunken nights out as well as the occasionally drop on the floor/ground. Neither phone suffered any screen damage and only minor body imperfections.

:thumbsup:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Obsidius posted:

Shortly before the PS4 was released people were bitching and whining about the console having a wobble. Console releases and people forgot it exists because the whole thing had been blown out of proportion.

That and you probably aren't handling your PS4 every day. With an appliance-type electronic you can just use the time-tested sugar packet support system.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Shroomie posted:

My last iPhone wobbled because I got drunk and used it to open a beer bottle, which bent the metal casing. My current iPhone wobbles because I got drunk and dropped it and dented a corner. Thank got I'll finally be able to buy an iPhone that wobbles no matter what I do to it.

:stare:

Maybe you should, uh, lay off the booze a little bit bud.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind the upscaled apps. I can read my terrible posts from further away.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Oh yeah and a heads up for anyone using the new keyboards llike SwiftKey and having issues with the regular keyboard coming back: you can just remove the old original keyboard in the settings and rearrange SwiftKey to be the first option and it will always default to it.

The old keyboard will still come back for when you have to enter a password but otherwise it will always come first.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Dunno about SwiftKey, but the problem I have with Swype is now a known issue with all 3rd party keyboards.

Seriously, try doing what I just said. I haven't had the old keyboard pop up once since then.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

illcendiary posted:

Must be an algorithm that detects motion within the video. It's adjustable after the fact, though.

Nah it's not that sophisticated, it just starts about 1/3 in and stops at about 2/3's the length of the video. You then can set it manually.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
I'm already using the Reachability feature like it's been there all along.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

xilni posted:

I like using built in mail.app, I like the unified inbox and haven't found another iOS client that I like/has all the features I want.

Hop is pretty good.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Mister Fister posted:

Cool, so with iOS 8, I would be able to use Google Now as the default voice app instead of siri and have it do things like turn on timers, put events into my calendar, etc.?

Edit: ah damnit, looks like Apple's being stubborn on this:

There is the Google app which has Now functionality and notifies you about stuff like traffic and all that. And I imagine that it will be updated with a widget that gives you info in the Notification Center.

Siri does all that other stuff you mentioned.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

mowhonic posted:

The surface of the glass on my 6 seems to allow my finger to smoothly glide around, and it feels so much better than my 5s.

That will go away after the oleophobic treatment on the screen wears from repeated use and cleaning over the first few months. After that it goes back to being a fingerprint magnet just like the 5S

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Bingo. If I have multiple notifications and want to unlock to a specific one I don't want to swipe then unlock. Touch ID being all or nothing is pretty lame. I don't need to have a lock on my phone. If someone steals it I can just remote wipe it or something. It's not worth the extra half a second over the course of three billion unlocks over the life of the phone.

Unrelated: how come switching to slow motion video mode in the camera seems to absorb WAY less light than a regular photo? There may be something about the way it renders I don't understand but is there actually a reason for this? If I'm not outside in direct sunlight I can't really attempt to record anything slowmo.

Slow mo at 240 frames per second requires very short exposure in order to capture the frame. Try 120 fps and it may be marginally better.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ah, alright. Thanks for clarifying. At least it was one more thing that impressed me about this phone in the first few days of owning it :shobon:

bronin posted:

Like others said the conditioning isn't necessary with newer battery technology anymore. It's just so ingrained in people's minds back from the days of nimh batteries.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Ahh, so you are crazy.

withak posted:

Your phone battery requires no maintenance. A laptop battery may if it is in a situation where it literally never gets unplugged otherwise.

Dewgy posted:

Li-ion batteries don't need to be conditioned, I think that was a NiCd/NiMH thing.

Apple recommends you fully discharge your phone at least once. It may not be about conditioning the battery so much as calibrating the battery power meter for the OS.

*Braces for everyone to rush in and tell me how stupid I am*

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
I guess the real question is who was the Deepthroat who took down the 6+?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

I guess the real question is who was the Deepthroat who took down the 6+?

It was your mom!!!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
I see girls put their phone in their back pocket all the time, but it usually only works with an iphone 4/5. I can only imagine how much booty it must take to make the iPhone 6+ seem like a reasonable thing to put in your back pocket and not stick out significantly. I'm talkin a whole lotta rear end. Nikki Minaj-level rear end.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

noirstronaut posted:

This is more or less what I would like if I ever used Reachability for anything.

Maybe a finely crafted Samsung Galaxy Note 4 would be more up your alley, then.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Feenix posted:

You think they didn't test this? More logical is it got accidentally released too early, or the wrong build?

Well, normally I would be mad at Apple but I too have a problem with early release so I can empathize.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

I don't think they should be announcing that Apple is replacing bent phones based on a chat with a single customer support agent. That seems really clickbaity.

Has anyone tried bending the phone back into shape?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can I download 8.0.1 yet I just got a prompt.

We need a canary, so go for it.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Is quads you can bend an iPhone over the new bounce a quarter off their butt?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Look pal, don't come in here with your reason and your logic! I have a right to be upset that Apple can't make my hardware perform a function it is technically incapable of doing, dammit!

Umm yeah...just figure it out nerds! Jeeze!!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Is there a list of participating retailers in Apple Pay yet, or do I need to freeze-frame the Apple Pay announcement from yesterday and look at the logos?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

The iPhone Thread: The payments industry is somehow more hosed up than the wireless industry

Two great tastes that taste great together!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, turning the 5 off and restarting the 6 did nothing, restarting it again.

EDIT: no dice, turned the 5 back on and it still has service.

You done hosed up the game son. You were supposed to turn off the old one first, remove da sim card (for good measure), and then turn yur new one on. Since you flipped the script and set it up through itunes you gots to call up at&t and feed em the information on the sim card since you didn't do the process right. If you had, your phone would have had you select your carrier from the jump.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there anything new/different between Public Beta 3 and the GM?

Less bugs, better battery life as a result of less error logging, larger e-penis

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

xzzy posted:

Apple still hasn't posted their full terms for the Upgrade Program, which is a little disappointing considering they open up preorders tonight at midnight.

Ars says that signing up for it will only reserve the device for pickup, then you have to go in to the store to do a credit check

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
I just hope the iPhone 7 is grippier than the 6, like bring back the chamfered edges on the back of it or something. Also make the touch id button register swipes so I can scroll pages with it

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Craptacular! posted:

The iPhone desperately needs some options with regard to how it handles incoming calls. If I'm using the phone when a call comes in, I want a single mom-looping tone and a notification drop down with answer and hang up buttons, similar to an incoming text message or email.

I do not want the entire screen seized from me. I don't want the video I'm watching to stop unless I choose to answer. I can maybe understand that some people will want a looping sound, so that should be an option, but the full screen Answer/HangUp thing is rooted in the original iPhone, which was designed far more to be a traditional cellphone that occasionally does a thing, rather than the online app machine that happens to use cellular bands that it has become.

Hell yeah nobody wants to receive phone calls on their cell phone anymore

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Not now, mom. I'm watching a video

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
I wonder if the screen resolution or size will go up considering advancements in screen/bezel reduction and their new use of the curved glass on the edge like on the 6.

Like, I bet they could fit 4.25" of screen in the same dimensions as the 5s currently

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

smoobles posted:

Is there any rumored release date for iOS 9.3?

Monday at approximately 3:00pm ET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

LODGE NORTH posted:

In the same vein, si there a way to make iOS only connect to wifi that I choose and not automatically join just whatever's closest? As in, if there's public wifi nearby, it more than likely has a disclaimer I have to agree to and I don't wanna do that - I want to use LTE at all times unless I've signed into the Wifi network nearby before.

Set the "ask to join networks" switch on