Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

Android to iPhone specific questions. I've been screwed for the last time by Android instability and am done with it.

1.) How much space is left on a 16gb iPhone after the OS? I would prefer a 64gb phone, but T-Mobile's promotion is only for the 16gig version. I only keep some apps on it; I stream all of my music and don't keep any photos or videos locally backed up.

2.) Will the phone sync up with Google services for my calendar and contacts using the stock apps? Or do I have to use different apps?

3.) How much of a pain is it not having Google maps integrated?

4.) Are there any major stability problems?

5.) What is battery life for the regular six under normal use? Screen on time, in particular.

6.) I haven't used an iPhone since the 4, and I've loved every minute of not having iTunes. Is that going to change? :ohdear:

7.) I use PushBullet to send SMS from my windows pc. Is there an equivalent option for ios?

1) My 16GB iPhone shows 11.9GB available for use by apps when I add up Used+Available in the usage. You can upgrade to the 64 or 128 versions you just have to pay $100 or $200 up front.
2) I use the built in apps for Google Mail, Contacts and Calendar
3) I have been using Apple Maps and don't find it too bad.
4) I have no stability issues and prior to getting my iPhone 6 on the T-Mobile promotion I never had to wipe it clean.
5) I get a solid day of use, don't have specific times as I just don't worry about the battery life.
6) If you want music on your phone you have to use iTunes
7) Don't know of one, I just suck it up and know I don't have SMS on my windows PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If your goal is just to make syncing (parts of) your library as close to painless as possible, iTunes Match is great. Especially if you have multiple iTunes/iOS using devices. I haven't actually "synched" anything for a couple of years, my library is just "there" on all my (and my wife's, since we share the same Store ID) devices.

That is the part that I like the most about iTunes Match. The syncing between computers and devices is really nice that as I add new music to the library I don't have to do anything on other computers, iPhones, or iPads to see the new music.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Just buy a Apple Saddle Brown Leather case.

I second this. I picked up a saddle brown one today for my 6s and it looks and feels nice as hell

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

Shut up you whop.

I thought it was wop.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

We got a 6 that is having a hard time charging. If you apply pressure it makes contact but with no pressure it stops. Any ideas?

Toothpick to get the lint out.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

withak posted:

Actually I'll probably just keep my 6S.

I am in kind of the same situation. The 6s is plenty fast enough and I would rather have Touch ID than face ID or whatever they'll call it. The OLED screen seems nice but it seems like they had to make too many cuts to it.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So I got the iPhone X today and it’s my first phone that supports HEIC. How much of a pain is it to use that as opposed to jpg? I only got the 64gb as I never used up half of my 6s with 64gb but having extra space using HEIC would be nice

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I was just thinking that my service bars had gone down the last few weeks or so. Glad it wasn’t just in my head. Figured they had antenna issues or outages

Mine too and I thought it was T-Mobile.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Sock The Great posted:

BMW 5 and 7 series have wireless Carplay as well as higher end Audi's.

3 Series and my Mini have it too

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Well being that he's been doing camera bulges just to get the rest of it "thinner" I won't be too upset if whoever replaces him make a phone with a flush back.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

If you are terrified of missing out on 2020 iphones, then just do the upgrade plan this year and trade up if the iPhone Z truly is a magical device.

That is actually what I might do. I have the iPhone X now on T-Mobile’s iPhone upgrade plan but would rather go through Apple for it going forward

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

Keynote is officially set for the 10th.

My 6s is bugging more and more, I just don’t think I can make it to 2020.

Do the upgrade program and switch it out next year.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

64bit_Dophins posted:

I did ask about the Apple financing and it honestly seems pretty good. I'm considering getting on the apple update plan bc this iPhone 8 has me hooked.

Is there a way to finance the phone through apple without it affecting your phone plan? They said it requires an activation?

My understanding is it only requires you have service with the provider. It shouldn’t affect your plan at all. It didn’t for mine and I have a grandfathered plan I can’t touch online.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Few pages back but I wanna say it’ll still charge the primary family account holder’s credit card. A lot of people miss this. Definitely there so people just don’t go add all their acquaintances. I could be wrong.

The only workaround I’ve found is if the person has iTunes credit on their account, it’ll charge that before it charges the main credit card.

The other workaround is them being registered as a child on your account and literally under 12 or some such to ask for confirmation (via a pin?) from you to allow purchases, but I don’t have kids so not sure how that works

The other crappy part is it won't use iTunes Credit on the primary account for any of the family accounts, it'll charge the credit card.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

101 posted:

Also make sure capture outside frame is off apparently

does it have to be off for both video and photos, or just photos?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

No they reserve that for battery issues. Every loving time I've taken a phone in due to a poo poo battery dying at 45% or going down 10% a minute, it's always "welp, diagnostics passed, sorry."

I had a bluetooth issue where it wouldn't connect to any bluetooth devices but I couldn't replicate it. After going in 3 times they just replaced the whole phone and guess what, the issue went away.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: iOS 13.3.1 dropped :siren:

release notes:

iOS 13.3.1 includes bug fixes and improvements. This update:

- Fixes an issue in Communication Limits that could allow a contact to be added without entering the Screen Time passcode

- Adds a setting to control the use of location services by the U1 Ultra Wideband chip

- Addresses an issue that could cause a momentary delay before editing a Deep Fusion photo taken on ‌iPhone 11‌ or iPhone 11 Pro

- Resolves an issue with Mail that could cause remote images to load even when the “Load Remote Images” setting is disabled

- Fixes an issue that could cause multiple undo dialogs to appear in Mail

- Addresses an issue where FaceTime could use the rear facing ultra-wide camera instead of the wide camera

- Resolves an issue where push notifications could fail to be delivered over Wi-Fi

- Addresses a CarPlay issue that could cause distorted sound when making phone calls in certain vehicles

- Introduces support for Indian English Siri voices for HomePod

I'm hoping the CarPlay issue is really fixed. For me and many other people it wasn't distorted sound while making calls it was anytime there was audio playing. I had to disable CarPlay as it was stuttering making podcast horrible.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

CFox posted:

Unless my phone is lying to me it downloaded in about a minute and is now at the preparing update stage.

Mine downloaded pretty quickly too, but preparing is taking forever. I started my iPad Pro after and it is installing now.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

AirPort utility still does a WiFi scan. Lists all BSSIDs with ESSIDs and signal strength. No cell phone towers though.

Even though I no longer use an AirPort Extreme, I still had it installed. Verified it still works.

How do you get it to do that, mine just sits at the screen with an image of "Internet" with a green dot.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Upper right corner of screen where it says "WiFi Scan"

Weird I don’t have that button

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

I still show my old AirPort Extreme even though it hasn't been online in over a year (it just shows as "offline"). Maybe that's part of the secret sauce? Having it originally is what "unlocks" the app functionality? It seems like an odd requirement since the scan uses the phone.

Must be the secret sauce. Shame I don't have my old one anymore.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

MrNonacho posted:

Settings -> Airport Utility -> Wi-Fi Scanner

OK, you're my hero!

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Open the store Apple I want my mini

With the iPhone upgrade program it made it take like two clicks and a Face ID scan. Luckily got 2 Pro Max for launch day delivery.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I’m amazed that neither the Mini or Pro Max are not sold out yet.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

enojy posted:

I woke up an hour late, but still got in for delivery by next Friday! I did the pre-checkout thing, though.

Also kudos to Apple for raising the price of their new (smaller) leather case by Ten Dollars because they put a magnet in it.

I got the Blue and my better half got the Gold Pro.... now to determine cases.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

enojy posted:

You should be able to get your UPS tracking number at https://store.apple.com or, barring that, using your phone number as a tracking reference number at https://www.ups.com

I can confirm that my phone left Alaska this morning but still shows preparing to ship in the app. If you sign up for UPS My Choice it should show you the status.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

2FA in 1Password is great, it will autofill it just like a normal password as well.

Seconding this. Plus when you go from one device to another everything is synced. It’s nice to set it and forget it.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Turn off block tracking and get a GIFT of 1,000 genshin gems!!!

The beauty is Apple has already come out and said their updated policies won't allow this. No bribing us to allow tracking.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

Hi friends. This may be a really stupid question but I cannot find where to turn this notification off:

Someone please help?

E: the reason I posted this is because I knew I would immediately find it after. My eyes just didn’t see Watch in the notification menu for some reason.

Thanks anyway :)

Turn off the auto-unlock functionality?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why is Apple silicon so much better than everyone else’s?

I think most of it has to do with they're optimizing the hardware for their use case. When you control the software and the hardware you can optimize stuff.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

If this is the case why aren’t intel MacBooks overperforming Windows laptops?

They optimize the chips for their software. Since Apple isn’t intel the chips aren’t any faster on MacOS than windows.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

iPhone upgrade program preorder stuff is up on the site now. You can pick what you want and have it all ready to go for Friday if you want.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Snowy posted:

I made the switch to the upgrade program last year and yes that was an option when I did it

When I switched to the upgrade program I was going to but realized it would be like a down payment on a lease. Sure it makes the monthly payments a little cheaper but you won’t get the money back ever. We traded our phones into apple for store credit and got new apple watches.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Snowy posted:

I just did this for the first time through the apple store app and it seemed to go through fine. I was a little surprised to have to do the loan forms again, and there was a notification of Verizon looking at my credit, is that stuff you do every time you upgrade? It made me a little worried I’d end up messing with my phone plan or something.

I think this is the 3rd time I’ve done it and it’s never hit my credit after the first hard pull. Not saying others might not be that way but you have to sign new loan paperwork as technically Apple is terminating your old loan and signing you up for a new one.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

jabro posted:

The blue 12 Pro is the best color they have ever come out with.

I really liked me blue 12 pro max. Back to black for me now.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

American McGay posted:

I know y’all are doing trade-ins and stuff but it’s still mindboggling to me that there are people out there upgrading their $1300 phones after one year.

Some of us like spending money. It’s a weird one for me as apple did the iPhone Upgrade Program and now I don’t even think about it. I look at it like the old carrier subsidy where you were always paying for the phone.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Looke posted:

Haptic keyboard feels good but not as good as the Taptic in the X

I turned it on but it’s very subtle. I was expecting it to be a little more pronounced.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I thought it was odd that all I got after installing it was a pop up that said “you updated to iOS 16” don’t they normally show you the new stuff?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

The reviews are out and no surprise in that this year is more like an S year for the phones. I’m sad they didn’t fix the really annoying light reflections on the cameras at night but there’s always next year, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Any specific review going over the light reflections? Got a link?

The Verge’s review. In case posting my phone breaks it. The comment is around 12:15 in there https://youtu.be/7qk2wsl8IFA?t=735