Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading my 4S to a secondhand 5S (yeah I know).

Someone made a great post or might have been a link about what to look out for when buying second hand iPhones but I can't find it. Does anyone have it handy?

The biggest worry is that the phone is bricked and/or blacklisted. Go with the seller to the carrier's store and activate it right there with the seller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I never thought I'd see the day where pants chat came up in the iPhone thread.

My whole world has been turned upside down. I don't know what's real anymore.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Space Grey is the only way to roll.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

If I drop it, that's an accident swap. Hardware failure doesn't have a deductible, right?

You are correct. The big thing with Applecare Plus is the accidental coverage but people tend to forget it also gives you a full two years of the regular warranty too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah you don't have to janitor your battery. I think the only thing for modern batteries is not to leave it charging for a very long time, like days. That's not a problem with a phone or tablet but more for laptops.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Uh, so my mom's contacts somehow got synced to my 4s and now I have like a thousand gmail contacts of weird men from Plenty of Fish. How do I go about unfucking this?

Email them all and ask them out. If they reply, keep em. If not, delete them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Whoops. I should have finished reading the thread before pressing the upgrade button.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm download the firmware for ios8.0. Hopefully Apple is still signing them. I'm on an ATT 6 btw.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Everyone post terrible things Steve allowed to happen:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I want an iPhone sock. I still rock my Mobileme account. It's my primary email.

edit: The cube is awesome. I wish I had one for nostalgia. I think we can all agree the puck mouse takes the cake for bad design/idea.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I know that U2 is labeled 'dad rock' around here but they are still a pretty big draw. Giving an album away was a good idea. The auto-download thing is the big failure here.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

After the 6 was announced I was concerned about the amount of pants chat in the thread. Now it's reached a whole other level that's out of this galaxy.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Clocks posted:

I don't know where to post, but...

I'm on a 5s and stupidly upgraded to the newest iOS or whatever yesterday. Since then I've been loving miserable. A lot of the apps and games I have that used to work fine before are a laggy mess, everything is taking longer to load, connectivity is poor in general... and it's obviously the update, since I wasn't having any issues whatsoever before I decided to stupidly update my phone. Not to mention things like notifications 'sticking' (unless I hit the home button, I guess) and all that jazz. And from what I can tell, it's not possible to revert to older versions since Apple is no longer signing for them?

What do I do?? Wait it out? It's driving me crazy.

Wait for 8.1 and for the developers for your buggy apps to fix them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

A corporate ATT store should never charge you for a new SIM. An independent one may because they can and because it's 99.9% profit. ATT charges them peanuts for a SIM card itself. There are no fees on ATTs end for activating a new sim and killing the old one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

First things first, have you wiped it and NOT restored any sort of backup?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

There was some rumblings in the summer that AirPlay to an Apple TV wouldn't require WiFi with iOS8. Can anyone confirm?

Yes but it only works with ATV3 IIRC.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

various cheeses posted:

Are there any details on 8.1 yet? I want to see if the dodgy image loading issues are mentioned.

Monday.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I have an iPhone 6 and a Mac Air '13 with Yosemite.

Does Handoffs only work when both screens are on? It sounded like a cool feature, but if they both have to stay on it just seems limited.

Example: On safari with my iPhone, place iPhone down, lock it (habit, i always do that), grab mac to switch to that. Nothing. Turn on the iPhone screen and the link pops up.

You can still access most of that stuff if it's not popping up with Hand-off. Your iCloud tabs thingy in safari should show the open tabs on your iPhone. If you have a document started in Pages, it will be there on the other devices.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

Hey Siri just started giving stupid answers? It started saying things like "a watched iPhone never boils" when setting a timer and stuff. I can really do without Siri trying to be clever.

It's always done that. Ask Siri what her favorite movie is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dbhjed posted:

So, I managed to click ok to many times when pairing my iPhone and iPad for SMS hand off and didn't get the pin. Is there any way to have the pin pop up again?

Go into your iMessage settings on your iPhone. Under text message forwarding, turn the slider to off of for your iPad. Turn it back on and that should make the pin pop up on your iPad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

nickutz posted:

I dropped my careless 6 last night and the only scratch on it is a cracked camera lens cover. Somehow doesn't show up when taking pictures though so it's not a huge issue, but is that something that can be fixed at an Apple Store next time I'm in a city with one?

They can definitely replace the camera. The only question is if they'll say it's accidental damage or not.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'd agree with you on that. For those of you with wifi troubles, have you tried the basics for troubleshooting?

-Update router firmware
-Blow up router back to defaults
-Leave the network open just for troubleshooting purposes

I can't think of any offhand, but I've seen devices that just straight up have issues with certain routers. You could try buying a new router for troubleshooting purposes as well and return the router if that doesn't do the trick.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I used ApplePay at Whole Foods today it Just Worked. It was also possibly the whitest thing I could do.

That depends. What were you wearing? Did you have your white Apple earphones in your ears while shopping? If yes, what were you listening to?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Clocks posted:

I have phone-wide wifi issues as well on my 5s. :(

That's not really fair to say. I never had wifi issues until I downloaded iOS 8, but the difference is night and day. It's obviously something with the software causing it, and there are obviously multiple people experiencing it, so whatever it is they did it hosed it up. The home router I use is one of those verizon fios ones and while I could fiddle around with it, I really shouldn't have to when everything was working perfectly fine until I downloaded an official apple update. And I can't just request a new router because my phone is working weird.

Sorry, but it's just frustrating to hear people dismiss these issues, too. They're obviously real and at this rate, unless they actually fix it, I'm going to have to live with much shittier connection, get a new data plan (I don't have unlimited data to counteract this bullshit) or get a new phone. Great options.

Do you have issues with other wifi networks?

Also, if you're leasing your modem/router combo from your ISP (which are usually giant pieces of poo poo in my experience) you can pretty easily get a replacement from them. I'm not sure what the process is for this when dealing with Verizon. I know when I leased one from Comcast, I could just take it to the nearest Comcast store and say 'hey this thing don't work' and they'd give me a new one with no hassle.

I know it's frustrating. I'm just relating things to you that I've observed and fixes I've found. I understand how it feels.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

a bay posted:

I used to have a Motorola Milestone, and now I have an iPhone 4 which I like because it doesn't crash as much. What should I get for my next phone?

If you like iPhone, you should always get the newest one if you're in the market for an upgrade.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

gently caress double post. Quoted instead of hit edit.

Anyway the Apple Care+ website says it covers accessories. Does that mean when my piece of poo poo Apple lightning cable frays again I can take it and get a new one?

The warranty for your phone also covers whatever came in the box with it so Applecare+ does as well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

And would the try to count that cable as one of my two accidental damages? Because then I'd be retarded to do it.

I don't think so. Accidental damage is $80 a pop. A new cable is $20. If you have a bad cable take it to an Apple Store and see what happens. At best they'll just give you a new one at worst they'll say no and you gotta spend $20 on one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

What do you all do to your cables? I have a few lightning cables I bought when the iPhone 5 came out and they are still in great condition.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That reminds me of an adapter a user brought in yesterday.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Try keeping yourselves clean and dry. Dirty and wetness are the top reasons why Touch ID fails.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Not likely. Wipe and reinstall the OS and DO NOT restore from a backup. Set it up as a new phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Try resetting the network settings on the phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you have no cell signal where you're going, just turn the goddamn phone off and enjoy the trip.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

:ughh: the screen on my brand new 6 got annihilated tonight. Is there a chance in hell I can sweet talk apple into repairing/replacing it without a charge or with some sort of dicount? The thing is barely a couple of weeks old. Alternately, what do they charge for a replacement these days? This blows.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Smam posted:

Odd question: using my phone yesterday the recently opened apps screen showed some of my frequently used apps out of order. It showed the last opened app as gmail when I hadn't used it last. I have a pass code and was home so no one could have tinkered with it- what gives? This hasn't happened before.

Use Siri to find the phone number of a local aspergers doctor and get yourself checked out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Even if it's out of warranty, they can do repairs for a fee. No idea if they'll touch your phone at all now because of the third-party work done to it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

Update to my thumbgate yesterday or the day before... I recorded my two thumbs and one index. Everything worked. My left thumb already won't unlock no matter what I do.

I don't know if you've tried this stuff already, but here it goes:

-Clean and dry your filthy goon fingers. If that doesn't work...
-Wipe your phone, install newest version, DO NOT restore any sort of backup. If that doesn't work...
-Go to Apple store and get it fixed. I don't know if they can just replace the home button or if they have to give you a new phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Verizon carrier settings 18.1 just got pushed out. What did it change? Probably nothing but gently caress it I'm excited! :bubblewoop:

It's the year 2015 and 8 iPhones later but I still get a little excited when I see updates are available for the OS or individual apps.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

Thanks yea I have clean hands and haven't yet done a wipe. The only downside is if have to wipe my phone then wait a few days which is inconvenient on a 'bare' phone. (Because the process of my fingers no longer working seems to take a few days...

You can still setup your iCloud, iTunes, email accounts, etc, just don't restore from any backups (local or iCloud). It sucks, but if you go to an Apple Store without doing that, they may not replace your phone because that is the first troubleshooting step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

iOS 8.1.3 is out y'all.