Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

So when they say they're not supporting Apple pay, what they really mean is they aren't supporting any form of NFC payment then.

Yes, ApplePay NFC isn't a thing, it is an implementation of EMV NFC mobile payments. As far as the processing goes the terminal or payment network doesn't give a poo poo what it came from, Android, Apple, Blackberry, as long as it has a proper token from the bank and the magic crypto stuff from the secure element on the phone it will go through like any other transaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

fordan posted:

I could see Best Buy caving; I have to think a larger-than-average percentage of their customers will be NFC-enabled. At least compared to Walmart. And they'll have to upgrade their POS systems to support chipped cards anyways, so the incremental cost to add NFC should be minimal.

Target will probably cave before Best Buy, I suspect the only reason they didn't is that they are still trying to build trust with consumers after the huge giant gently caress-up with credit cards that they don't want to be launching a new credit card thingy so soon even though it is safer.

NFC probably makes most sense when you are buying a shitload of small items or just a handful of them, like Walgreens and CVS make perfect sense, Target probably does to, grocery stores, etc. Best Buy when you are talking just a handful of high priced items probably makes a lot less sense.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 13, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

the kawaiiest posted:

I don't know a single guy who has a gold iPhone, though.

My 70+ year old father as of Friday. The store was sold out of everything else and he was like "Meh, whatetever.", it's just a phone.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

fordan posted:

That shouldn't be the case, at least for the iPhone 5. It's a LTE device and thus should fall under the open access rules. Then again, so should the Nexus 7 and that was blocked last year.

But Verizon doesn't have VoLTE completely deployed yet so it still needs CDMA access for voice at a minimum. My mom and sister have Verizon and when they were in town two weeks ago I saw their iPhones fall back to 3G several times for data, even in my dense urban neighborhood.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

beanieson posted:

AT&T is buying back the iphone 4 for $200 which is awesome considering the 4 is pretty outdated. I have a verizon iphone 4, what are the odds they'll let me trade that in?

E: I also have my 5 to trade, but is rather sell it outright since they probably won't give me as much as I could sell it for.

It just says iPhone 4, doesn't say AT&T iPhone 4, since it only applies if you sign a 2 year contract or get Next I assume they will take any iPhone 4 to keep get you to sign a contract just the same.

I did this on Friday with my iPhone 4 because my dad was buying a 5S, super easy no hassle (besides the hard sell to spend it right then on overpriced accessories). Keep in my the $200 can only spent with AT&T but you can pay your phone bill with it which is what I did with plenty of money left over.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Molten Llama posted:

Straight from AT&T:

For a limited time, trade in an eligible iPhone from any carrier and get:
  • $300 AT&T Promotion Card for an iPhone 5s
  • $200 AT&T Promotion Card for an iPhone 4, 4s, 5 or 5c

That only counts if you buy a new phone from AT&T and activate it. It's still an incredibly deal if you or someone you know intends on signing up with AT&T or buying a new AT&T phone but it doesn't help you much if you don't.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
So this is interesting...

NY Times posted:

Apple Pay Runs Afoul of MCX, a Group With a Rival Product
By MIKE ISAACOCT. 28, 2014

One week after its debut, Apple’s new mobile wallet is showing promise with consumers.

Apple’s rivals in the payments industry, meanwhile, are scrambling to prevent it from being too successful.

Even before Apple Pay was announced, a coalition of retailers refused to accept it in their stores. More than 50 companies make up this group, the so-called Merchant Customer Exchange or MCX, including global retail giants like Walmart, Best Buy and Gap Inc.

It’s not that these companies don’t want a mobile wallet to truly catch on with consumers. They see the mobile wallet as a way to help retailers understand more about their customers’ shopping habits and, potentially, let merchants avoid the high fees they pay when processing credit card transactions.

But they are working on building a competitor, CurrentC, a mobile wallet app that will connect directly to customers’ bank accounts or store-specific credit card. It won’t be available until 2015.

Timothy D. Cook, Apple’s chief executive, on Monday in Laguna Beach, Calif.Apple Pay Already a Huge Hit, Cook SaysOCT. 28, 2014

Timothy D. Cook, chief executive of Apple, unveiling Apple Pay last month.As PayPal Spins Off, Apple Pay Signals New Era at Cash RegisterSEPT. 30, 2014
Apple says Apple Pay is more secure than a traditional credit card payment, because the system sends one-time codes to merchants to complete purchases rather than actual credit card numbers.

The problem is that under the terms of their MCX contractual agreement, they are not supposed to accept competing mobile payments products like Apple Pay, according to multiple retailers involved with MCX, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. If these retailers break their contracts, they will face steep fines for doing so, these people said.

Credit card machines could be replaced by one of the new methods of payment, like Apple Pay or CurrentC from stores.

Since Apple Pay was introduced a week ago, consumers have tried to use it in MCX members like Rite Aid and CVS. So those businesses have disabled the technology that supports Apple Pay.

I have used Softcard (Android Apple Pay) at CVS before, I use it all the time at the Walgreens by my house. Given CVSs business model has been to open up as closely to Walgreens as possible I have a brand new CVS opening in a few weeks a block down, the last two times I have been to Walgreens the question has changed from "Oh, is that Apple Pay?" to "Wow, everyone is paying with their phones now, do you like it?"

This is going to cost CVS a lot of money in urban areas, I wonder how long they can keep it up.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Kailtor posted:

When there's a CVS, Riteaid and Walgreens within a quarter mile of each other, why would you bother going to the less convenient store? I don't really understand this decision to just shut NFC off. It's going to just drive people to Walgreens because why the gently caress not? All three stores are interchangeable.

According to the NY Times they didn't have a choice, CurrentC was going to fine the poo poo out of them if they supported Apple Pay. It wasn't a big deal when it was just a handful of NFC credit cards/Android Phones but Apple Pay has the ability to completely saturate the market before CurrentC even had a chance.

This is going to kill CVS in urban areas, like you said, they are interchangeable, often located very near each other and like many people that live and work in urban neighborhoods I'm probably at Walgreens 2+ times a week, often without a wallet on me. I mean not put them out of business or anything but it is probably going to cost them millions.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

HortonNash posted:

Isn't the MCX boycott of Apple Pay/NFC considered collusion, anticompetitive practices or something like that?

Doubtful, I mean they are free not to accept any method of payment that they don't want to and it's not like there is a monopoly forcing consumers on to MCX, you could simply pay like you did before Apple Pay. For consumers though, gently caress CVS, they are already price competitive with Walgreens and I don't want to carry my wallet if I don't have to.

nickutz posted:

I doubt that it's anticompetitve since you aren't actually prevented from using your cards as normal. But you know the merchants who signed up for it are counting down the days until their exclusivity agreement ends so that can at least accept both, if not drop MCX entirely.

It depends on the retailer but CVS is in the omnipresent commodity business, it's business suicide not to accept a payment method that consumers find much more convenient when your direct competitor does and they are right down the block from all of your high revenue stores.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 29, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The whole MCX thing is hilarious and is going to fail so horribly it'll be fun to watch. Why would retailers possibly sign such a lopsided contract for something that's so obviously convoluted and inferior?

Probably because it didn't look like the banks/carriers/phone manufactures were interested in doing anything consumer friendly with mobile payments and they didn't anticipate that someone like Apple would have the clout to get them to all fall in line. It was absolutely shortsighted but it probably didn't seem like such a bad deal when they were thinking it was going to be another clumsy dumb app that they were blocking out instead of the most powerful tech company in the world getting every one on something basically simple and off the-shelf.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
MCX isn't actually such a bad idea, the merchants would be able to save the swipe fees and use the better data to negotiate deals with manufactures to pass on significant savings onto consumers, the issue is CurrentC isn't anywhere close to ready for wide deployment and doesn't work as well as Apple Pay which is ready to go and merchants are ready to support.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Nah have you read up on how it works? It's really bad.

The theory is good though, basically you could aggregate broad consumer data and payment together easily, then categorize users and push deals. Then CVS could go to say P&G and say we have X number of customers that shop at our stores at least twice a week, we know that they regularly buy products for a small dog, but rarely dog food, what would you give us to push a coupon to them for your dog food? In theory it works for everyone, consumers save money CVS potentially gains a regular dog food customer and P&G potentially sells more dog food.

In theory. In practice they just have a lovely app that can't be used anywhere while Apple wants to do the same thing and has something already working that is largely off the shelf.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 29, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Coming out with the red iPhone is one of the smartest things Apple has ever done so late in a refresh cycle. I now personally know 3 people that went ahead and upgraded to the red iPhone even though the knew the new iPhone is coming out soon.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

jabro posted:

I have a common first and last name and I have the Gmail email for that name. I get so much spam from at least three other people who thinks it's their email that I can't use it. I use another address.

Same, actually I have both common first name, common last name along with common first initial, common last name and I get unbelievable amounts of emails meant for other people, even things like medical documents, legal documents and financial documents that including stuff like social security numbers.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
https://twitter.com/KeithKrimbel/status/908389997891538944

Well hopefully this is all true.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

This makes a ton of sense given the privacy concerns that have been expressed with FaceID.

There has been a lot of discussion of the legal implications of FaceID from the police making you involuntarily unlock the device. Apple said you have to be paying attention to the phone and the police may be able to shove the phone up to your face but they can't control your eyeballs. Try it a few times and you avert your gaze or shut your eyes and they are poo poo out of luck because it is already established law that they can't compel you for your passcode.

Actually this might be even more secure than TouchID for that purpose, TouchID is as murky as FaceID when it comes to being compelled to unlock the device but physically forcing your finger onto the home button against your protest by physically restraining you seems a hell of a lot easier than the almost impossible task of controlling your gaze and eyelids. It wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't some algorithms in there to detect if your eyes were being physically held open and it wasn't a deliberate gaze.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I'm guessing a sneak attack could be easily prevented by unnatural movement of the accelerometers, if only making the authorization taking just a tiny, tiny bit longer to give you a chance to see you are looking at your phone and to avert your eyes.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
So I just picked up a new iPhone 7 128gb this morning, did I do something completely stupid?

My phone broke the other day and I was planning on waiting for the X but it looks like it is going to be a nightmare to get for a long time plus the new interface and FaceID will probably take a bit to get the bugs out. I was going to buy the 8 but all the reviews look kind of meh over the 7, especially considering I don't play games or do anything more intensive than Twitter. Wireless charging, I hated it on my Galaxy because I would always misalign it with the charger and wake up with a dead phone plus it comes with the downside of a less durable back and being heavier.

Part of me is buy the newest and the best but I need a phone now, my partner has the plus and I hate the size, he regrets buying it and the 8 just doesn't seem to me to have little to no upside and the glass back seems to be a major downside.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

azzenco posted:

Yeah I'm cool with just blasting the phone from outside the shower so me and my neighbors can listen to the musical stylings of Adele.

I like the hell out of Apple Pay and use it whenever I can. That's the only thing that would make me want an Apple watch - which are $15 off if your pre-order through Costco today.

Non-US Goons: Is Apple Pay very popular where NFC cards are more or less standard issue? I've never found a scenario where I would rather use my phone or watch to pay instead of my NFC credit card, in fact the only time I ever use it is when I leave my wallet in my office by mistake and want buy something at Walgreens or the vending machine in one of our other office building.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1045772251797155840

:stare:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Google isn't helping me much, does anyone know if there is a way of disabling Siri Eyes Free? When Siri is connected to my car it comes almost useless often in ways that don't make any sense, like I can't launch Spotify by voice even though I need to do that to bring up my car's native Spotify interface.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
So I’m due for an upgrade tomorrow and was planning on getting the iPhone XR, but AT&T has the BOGO promo on the iPhone XS, my partner wants to upgrade from a 6+ and I was already planning on adding him to my plan so can someone convince me that I should get the XS over the XR as I don’t know that the BOGO pricing will apply to the XR and it will probably be backordered anyways?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ethanol posted:

I got the bogo x s... do it. There were a thousand caveats so good luck. As long as you’re good adding a new line though you’ll be fine. Its really not bad deal at all. They should change the name to bog750 though

What caveats? I was talking to a rep today and they said as long as we port my partners number out for 48 hours we can port it into my account and both upgrade to iPhone XS with $700 in bill credits. It looks like it will raise my bill by $55, which after the credits and the bill savings from his own account we will basically be paying the same with two new phones.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

There are apparently no OLED TV's under 55 inches. I have a plasma that I'd like to upgrade from without losing those deep deep blacks, but I don't want a 50+ inch TV. I do acknowledge my love for true black is going to cost me some serious money someday.

:sigh:

But yeah, the OLED screen is worth $200. I'm still awestruck at some of the colors and I've had this for near a year now. An Apple LCD is drat fine too, but the X screen is just too good.

I was absolutely sure I wanted an iPhone XR but in trying to talk my partner into the XR or XS he was sure he wanted the XS Max and I was sure I didn't want a screen any larger than the XS and my mind is still blown by the screens on the XS/XS Max. I'm sure the XR screen is good but the XS screen quality is so sublime and just at the edge of usable gesture wise I'm glad I just paid the extra $200.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
It’s interesting to me that reviewers are pointing out the $250 price difference that they never note that most of these phones are purchased on multi-year zero interest loans in the US.

If I was paying out of pocket for the phone $250 is a lot and it would change my consideration but what we are really talking about is less than $10 a month which isn't a lot of money for most consumers, I want to know if they think the XS is not $250 better for most users or not a two cups of Starbucks a month better.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

fourwood posted:

Either way you have $250* more dollars in your bank account two years later. :confused:

But you don't? For a number of reasons including the fact that based on all available evidence the XS won't depreciate more than an XR and in fact in all likelihood will depreciate less so in all likelihood unless you plan on keeping your phone for several years you get a lot of that money back either in the residual value factored into your lease/quasi-lease or the resale cost of the phone. And since your carrier is giving you a 0% APR loan to buy it there is no opportunity cost in laying out the extra cash.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I'm still kind of surprised that Apple has done NOTHING with dynamic wallpapers besides giving them black backgrounds for the X/XS which look fabulous on the OLED. Did the XR get the LCD backgrounds or OLED ones?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

rio posted:

Dynamic wallpaper is the floating bubble type thing they have as an option. Have the new phones gotten other ones than that?

The OLED ones get HDR floating bubbles on a back background that look amazing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Taima posted:

That's not a great comparison but ok

Fair, but the Camry is more than fair.

Taima posted:

An 800$ phone is not mainstream by any reasonable definition

Name another product that you use as much, is as vital to your life and is replaced as often with reasonable depreciation as an iPhone.

$800 over what, likely two years at a minimum? At 0% interest?

That's like saying a cup of coffee a day at the gas station is being super bougie.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Something Offal posted:

Apple sells unlocked phones only IIRC.

Nope, Apple will sell carrier locked phones on carrier installment plans just like any other authorized reseller. I think I have read a few things that say Apple is distinct in that all their phones are unlocked as inventory items but can be locked to a carrier as part of the sales process.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

tuyop posted:

I don’t know where the douche perception comes from. Lots of people just ask me how well they work!

Because they look stupid and are widely known to be relatively expensive.

Like I see other people and myself wearing them and think jesus christ those look stupid and I know what they cost, why? But god they work so well.

It could be worse though, I bought my husband Bose Sleepbuds, at least no one has to know that I spent $250 on the stupidest sounding relationship bliss that money could buy. Truth be told I'd pay $1,000 for them without thought if I didn't have to admit it or have anyone aware what we had done.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Two of them the reviewers thought a plastic film on the screen was just a screen protector so they (tried) pulling it off.

If the adhesive of the screen cover that is essential to the integrity of the display is so weak that it can easily be pulled up I would be seriously concerned about the screen durability.

The fact that they designed it this way makes me wonder if it is supposed to be easily removable, by Samsung, with a solvent or heat, and they just did a remarkably lovely job of understanding how consumers would perceive it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Here's some info on ATT's current trade-in deal for an iPhone 11 (from ATT website), which may or may not be similar to their trade-in deal for the 12:

So, it sounds like if the normal trade-in value is at least $95, you get the full $800 bill credits over 30 months. This probably much means an 8ish or newer. If that's a valid assumption, then it's great deal, also if it's similar to their deal for the 12. That seems pretty wild to give $800 for an 8.

Anyone know how they enforce trade in values? I just paid off my iPhone Xs 256GB, it's worth a lot more than $95. I would kind of like to just buy a phone to trade in and then sell my iPhone XS, I would come out significantly ahead I think.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FCKGW posted:

You can get $500 for that phone on Swappa. Did you click the "glass is cracked" or something on the trade-in questions?

No, phone is in basically perfect condition besides the fact that it never had a screen protector so has very, very, very minor light scratching on the screen, nothing deep though.

That is my point, sell my iPhone for way more than a phone with a $95 trade in value costs, trade in the cheaper phone, pocket the difference. Hell, if I'm just going to trade it in to AT&T I might as well just swap phones with my sister-in-law or friend for their 8 and let them keep it, I would be any worse off and they would have a better phone.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

smackfu posted:

Has wireless CarPlay gotten any more popular in new cars? Plugging my iPhone in when I’m in the car is probably 95% of the time I plug it in now. Maybe they could do MagSafe CarPlay somehow?

I was thinking that, wireless CarPlay is only a feature that started broadly rolling out even in luxury cars very recently, there are a shitload of luxury cars that won't be replaced for a few years still that have no wireless CarPlay and need a lighting cable for their infotainment.

I wonder if they are going to say suck it, you get Bluetooth and you don't get to use the previous iOS integration or there will be some sort of wireless lighting bridge?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Charles posted:

Are iPad minis super popular, for Christmas maybe? I was looking at a tablet for a family member and they seem to be hard to find. It doesn't look like they update them too often, so I guess would have to deal with the lightning port. Old people don't want to buy a bunch of new cables :q:

No, Apple just hates the mini, they just sell a bunch of them for various integrations through B2B channels and it helps with developer relations. Basically it's just lucrative enough not to kill off, not lucrative enough that they invest too much money in development and inventory.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I really feel mixed on the sat option TBH, it's one of those things that sounds so ridiculous but also, yeah, I have one, a Globalstar SPOT two-messenger. Two actually, one for me, one for my husband, and that is only because I don't have the coin for an Iridium phone. My father has an Iridium phone though.

It's just one of those things that you hope that you are never going to NEED, but if you do, YOU REALLY, REALLY need it.

I can see it is a value add SOS only feature that you are never ever going to use, but it's there if you find yourself with a broken leg in a National Park type situation.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Frank Dillinger posted:

I’ve only ever dealt with the iridium ones, they were huge but I guess they aren’t in LEO? They’re a geosynchronous one, now that I look into it. You can get 2.5 gigs of data for a mere 230$ a month on one network I looked at.

Iridum is LEO, you are thinking Immarsat. Globalstar is a competitor to Iridium which is what they are talking about using. No satellite cross-linking, slightly smaller global coverage, smaller in the sense of literally global, like, doesn't work in Antarctica.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Charles posted:

It's all still a rumor anyway and just based on a rumor that they're using a certain radio chip.

Bloomberg backed it up including details of how it would work on the device, so I am inclined to believe there is more to it than a confusion over radio bands. But it doesn't mean that it will be in the next iPhone or any iPhone, just that it is something that they are actively working on.

It's really not as crazy as it might seem, here is a one way Globalstar transmitter for IOT applications:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Satellite transmitters may not be something I see myself having a use for but it’s the first time in a while where it feels like a smartphone has a genuine new hardware feature to tout.

For me, it's the one thing you can't buy when you actually need it. I ran out and bought two of them after the winter storm hit Texas. No power, no cellphone, no internet, we were completely disconnected from the world for almost three days, didn't even know if it was safe to leave the house. We keep one in my husband's glovebox, I keep one in my work bag.

$400 on hardware and $22 a month buys a shitload of peace of mind.