Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

withak posted:

Condolences if you aren't using PCalc in RPN mode for calculating.

A cool, good opinion. RPN mode works straight out of the widget too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I imagine third-party Control Center widgets will be a key innovation in iOS 12

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Am I right to assume that the demo units didn’t have 3rd party apps because they weren’t updated in time?

Phone looked and felt nice, swipe up to return home feels natural, but I don’t like the additional time to multitask. Still prefer my neurotic fast taps with the home button. Guess I won’t have a choice in a few years though :shobon:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

More like UBreakICan'tFix amirite

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Is there a way, app to download or feature in overlooking, that will make a certain phone number always ring audibly even when the phone is set to vibrate? I always have my phone set to vibrate, especially at night. Often my work calls me for overtime and I don’t even hear the phone vibrate. So I’d like just that number to ring at all times.

Edit:

I figured it out. If you go into the contact and choose ringtone, there’s an option there called Emergency Bypass. If you turn that on, you’ll get an audible ring even when the phone is turned to vibrate or silent.

Don’t know if I’ll ever use this, but this is awesome and thanks for digging to find it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

That's a neat trick haha

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

But he got iPhone X on launch day. It’s been three months at this point.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just found out (from reddit) that touching a link in Safari with 2 fingers will automatically open it in the background.

Huh, that’s pretty cool!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I got the ilx-107 it’s really cool and good AMA

I wanna say the alpine will do music via USB sticks etc

Did you lose any USB functionality in your vehicle by making the switch? I drive a 2015 Mazda CX-5 and I’m worried that I’ll lose the fast USB charger in my center console if I change out the headunit. Crutchfield is unclear on what functionality is lost.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

The only downside with wireless (aside from limiting head unit choice) is that it's only useful for short drives. Otherwise, you're plugging something in for power anyway and power pads don't charge a plus-sized phone very quickly. It's a nice to have, but you need to weigh it against your other needs in a head unit. There's a lot of 107s out there and it's a good, responsive unit but if you need to go anywhere outside the carplay box you hit limitations very quickly.

Unfortunately, wireless means you're limited to two headunits, the iLX-107 and a Pioneer that just came out. If those are your choices, the Alpine is a better experience, but the Pioneer has more features.

Also has front/rear entertainment zone controls which are niche things but might matter to somebody. 207 has 4v preamps, versus 2v on the 107. 207 has multi-camera module support, 107 only has one. The 207 has a built-in microphone rendering the external one optional (if you choose). It can also control multiple phones (Apple or not) at the same time if need be. USB Mass storage input is also available on the 207 which isn't on the 107 as its USB only does wired carplay connections and nothing else. I also think the actual hard buttons on the 207 (as opposed to capacitive buttons on the 107) are better because you can use them with gloves, but that's a personal preference I guess. I went with the 207 instead of the 107 because of the better audio output options and the multi-camera control box as well as the fact that I could pair it with both my main phone (carplay) and work phone (bluetooth) simultaneously.

OEM USB often has adapter kits. Between Metra, Scosche, CarAV, and PAC Audio, somebody usually has one.

There's an adapter available for CX-5s that will plug it into your new head unit's USB port. https://www.carid.com/scosche/retains-oe-usb-adaptor-mpn-mausb01b.html?singleid=1085145508&url=78716489 If you decide to go Alpine on Mazda I made a custom boot screen for Mazda users since I put an iLX-207 into my 3.

This is awesome, thanks! Yeah I just want to make sure I retain some semblance of USB charging since it’s currently built-in at two spots. If I get anything it’ll
Be the iLX-207 so this is greatly appreciated.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

jackpot posted:

What setting do I change so that my phone doesn’t automatically play the same song every time I start the car? I’m praying to Jesus that the answer isn’t still “You make a blank track and name it aaaaaaaaaaa.mp3" but I'll bet it is.

It is, lol

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I'm part of the "64 GB to save money" crew :cool: I have way too many apps installed and I'm still only at 37GB :shrug:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Does trade-in value tend to decay after release, or does it hold pretty steady? I'm considering trading in my 8 Plus, but I want to give myself time to waffle about it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

rage-saq posted:

Pro case.

Also, within two days of using a no-home button iPhone you will think that older iPhones with them were made for Neanderthals

The gestures are very good and I definitely missed them when I test drove an iPhone XS for a week. Still not sold on Face ID though

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Doesn’t seem like it’s been posted yet but review embargoes have been lifted. Seems pretty positive on the camera front!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

mediaphage posted:

To somebody else locally; I’ve never ever gotten less money doing it that way, but I get not everyone wants to bother.

Agreed, though it does suck when people show up with half of the agreed-upon price in the hopes you’ll cave. You have to be willing to put up with that kind of bullshit; in my opinion, it’s better than dealing with contested PayPal payments.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I feel like the Apple Card is worth having literally just for Apple purchases, given its lack of annual fee. What other card gives 3% at Apple? I feel like my CSR only does 1% there.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Well the drat card is free, will sit in a drawer when it’s not in use, gives me ~$25-30 cash back every couple of years and reduces my credit utilization by X amount by way of just existing :shrug:

Good to know about Freedom Unlimited though!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Jeez, lesson learned. If you buy a phone that's on 13.0 and your iCloud backup is on 13.1 before you trade in, start fresh, update the phone to 13.1, wipe it, THEN restore your backup from iCloud. I've been fighting with this loving phone for 4 hours now.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Sock The Great posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm picking up my 11 PM this afternoon and never would have thought about that.

Does the set up prompt you to update to 13.1 before restoring from a backup, or do I need to go back and do this after I get it to 13.1?

Yeah, if you try and backup from iCloud at the outset, it’ll go through the initial steps (sign into Apple ID, Wallet, etc.), then ask to update to 13.1, then presumably restore from the iCloud backup after the fact. For me, it froze at the second step. Had to restore my phone with iTunes which I hadn’t done in years. So trust me, set up the phone without restoring first, update it, wipe it, then restore from the backup.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Another random thing to keep in mind if you use Anker SoundBuds Slim/Slim+, they won’t work with iPhones 11. It’s an acknowledged issue on the Amazon product page. They pop up in Coupons & Deals from time to time so figured I’d get the word out.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I appreciate that there's more consistency of how things operate across the 11 Pro and my iPad mini, but yes, agreed on the loss of 3D Touch sucking. I also still miss Touch ID in certain scenarios.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Wow, that is incredibly impressive. It's an app, so maybe it'll get ported over to iOS? lol

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I hate that when you click an email from a mail notification, it doesn’t go straight to the message. It just goes to your list of inboxes (and locks up briefly to boot!).

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

delete and reinstall Call of Duty while tethering your phone to a PS4.

Twice. :suicide:

It’s loving ridiculous. Pretty soon it’s gonna have to be the only game on my hard drive if I want to keep it on there

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

What the hell am I supposed to do about storage leaking on my phone? My phone storage (64 GB) is almost full and about 25 GB of that is “other”. I’ve never installed a beta or anything on this phone before so what gives? I know that I can restore from a backup to try and mitigate this but what’s stopping it from happening again?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Does the ‘Other’ storage category shrink when needed?

That’s what the settings page for storage alleges, as does Apple online documentation. But in my experience it just grows and grows.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Astro7x posted:

My phone is constantly giving me low storage warnings, I'm running out of things that I care to delete, and the phone is acting slow and unresponsive at times.

I feel like I delete something to free up storage, and within a few days Other Data has grown

I restored from an iCloud backup earlier this week and it dropped “Other” from 28GB down to 8GB. A worthy time investment imo.

Edit: actually it dropped down to 3.5 so even better

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 15, 2020

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

The fact that I continue to find random force touch stuff in the OS seems crazy. :( I just realized you could force touch the timer button in control center.

Whooooooa that’s cool

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Anyone else having battery issues since updating? Health has used 50% of my battery in the last day despite 3 minutes of screen time. My phone just dropped from 29% to 17% in a matter of minutes. This is a year old 11 Pro with no prior issues. Maybe something to do with my watch or the new sleep tracking?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

One thing I did notice is that you have to open apps once they’ve updated for their Widget options to be shown in Smart Stack. Kinda weird I think. Maybe I’m wrong but I opened Scanner Pro for the first time in a few weeks and went through a splash screen explaining their iOS 14 updates, and now it’s a Smart Stack option.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Weird bug with iOS 14, my phone is showing the right amount of storage used, but the bar is completely filled red because apparently my Health app is using 56.29 petabytes (!!) 😂

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I badly want to get the 12 mini but I *NEED* all the nice cameras with which to take endless pictures of my cats

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone else having an issue without being able to back up or transfer their poo poo to a new phone because of not enough storage? My wife's Health app is reporting as taking up 57 petabytes, which from a google, it's a fairly common issue with iOS 14. Super loving annoying since the choices are either to flatten the phone and start over, or wait for a fix.

Mentioned this in the Apple Watch thread, but you’re not alone. This is a post of mine from September:

illcendiary posted:

Weird bug with iOS 14, my phone is showing the right amount of storage used, but the bar is completely filled red because apparently my Health app is using 56.29 petabytes (!!) 😂

Haven’t had to do any sort of restore since then though. Hope it gets fixed soon.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Has anyone gone through the trade-in credit process with AT&T yet? I'm attempting a bit of a complicated switcharoo to upgrade my wife's phone. She has an unlocked iPhone 8 used on Verizon and I have an unlocked iPhone 11 Pro (purchased outright from Apple) that I use on AT&T. As a result, my AT&T line has an upgrade available. I was thinking of going through the following process:

1. Purchase iPhone 12 Pro through my line upgrade on AT&T (can't buy outright for some reason, requires installment plan)
2. Trade in wife's iPhone 8 to AT&T to receive $700 account credit
3. Pay off entirety of installment plan
4. Unlock iPhone 12 Pro through AT&T process, allowing wife to use iPhone 12 Pro

My worry is that doing steps 3 and 4 too quickly (I plan to pay it off and unlock it as soon as possible) will affect my bill credits. Is there a chance that not having a line item for an installment plan in ~3 months (which is when the account credit for the trade-in would start) would affect my receiving the trade-in credit?

Apologies if it's a confusing situation, any help or insight is appreciated.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Yeah that (city dwellers) is gonna be a real big yikes from me

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

You’re not the arbiter of what makes someone a tech reviewer or not. I generally find that his reviews touch on what’s most pertinent for day-to-day stuff. Not everything has to be a spergfest Anandtech wall of text.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can’t you cheat and just make a dummy contact with the word for name?

This is why I’ve had gently caress loving in my contacts for years. Seems to have helped

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is there some kind of delay with entering your passcode? I swear nearly every time I type my 6 digit code it doesn’t register an input. It’s done this on multiple devices and I’m starting to think it’s something the OS is doing.

I feel like it’s related to the animation of showing the lock screen. You have to wait for it to “settle” before you can start to type your passcode, or the first digit won’t register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

I've been chugging along on an iphone 6S for years now, and the battery is getting to the point of becoming too unstable. So, I figure I'd upgrade. So, basic question: which iphone variant is best for someone who just needs basic functionality (talk/text/browsing/music playback/etc.)? I don't even use it for pictures that often, so I don't care much about the camera specs. Battery life and inevitable 5G access are probably the two biggest factors.

If you want 5G future proofing then you need at least a 12 or 12 mini.