Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Charles posted:

Glad you got it sorted. That could have been a nightmare. What is that thing in the box?

It’s a LiPo battery for RC vehicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I think the way it works is that if you interact with any app that you swipe into, that app moves to the front of the line (reading the apps from right to left). Not actually touching the screen keeps that app fixed in its position

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Wow, thank you so much for amplosion. Amp sites piss me off to no end

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I wish I could make unique home screens for each focus mode. As it stands, you can only choose which pages to show for each mode, which means that when it's off all those pages have to be shown.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Tap on the circle with the checkmark under the page.

Right, but can it accommodate the following scenario? Let’s say I want Google Maps on my main home page and on a page for a travel focus mode, the latter of which would be the only page turned on for travel focus. I can’t add Google Maps to two separate pages right?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

fourwood posted:

I think you can now, actually.

Holy poo poo! Indeed you can. Seems like you have to add from the App Library so a little cumbersome but it works. My mistake for not actually trying that our, that’s really awesome.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Yeah Touch ID is better. Face ID is fine

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Big news for those who love tinkering and then bricking their phones:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/17/22787144/apple-home-repair-iphone-mac-parts-tools-instructions

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Here's the press release

Interesting that Apple is pitching this as direct-to-consumer repair and not making these available to 3rd party repair shops or places like iFixIt? Or am I just reading that wrong because they mention AASPs later in the press release

I think the fact that it says specifically to consumers means that repair shops won’t have access, which makes sense for them. Provide consumers the option to repair themselves or go an Apple-approved route. Otherwise it’s a third party making money on a service they provide

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Which is why it's a load of PR crock, and it seems to be working, considering the first replies to that one in this thread (and also reactions elsewhere).

Apple now conforms to the personal right to repair (which will likely be sufficient to appease politicians), but only a very slim minority of people has actually the skills and/or guts to do it, so it really doesn't mean much. If people start running to their nerd friend asking him to do it, he'll probably get barred from parts eventually, because he'll be deemed operating business-like, because he's ordering too much of the same parts within a certain timeframe.

Fair enough and I don’t disagree. What if someone starts operating a “bring your own OEM components” shop, though? Provide customers instructions on how to obtain what they need, charge a fee to repair on their behalf with the caveat that they have to go the Apple route if it fails. Not sure if that’s legal, but could be a workaround. Though I completely grant that the average consumer will not want to jump through those hoops and that that sort of channel needing to exist sufficiently stifles competition.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Android has a way to only turn on car mode when you connect to a specific Bluetooth device. Does apple have that?

“When connected to car Bluetooth” is an option, in addition to automatic/manual.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

stoopidmunkey posted:

Any one else have issues with Wi-Fi on their phone? Using a 13 pro and I keep loosing data unless I go cellular. At this point I’ve gotten a replacement device through Apple, changed ISP, got a new router and setup a new network but I’m still constantly having to turn WiFi off and on again. My wife doesn’t seem to have the issue on her exact same phone, but I didn’t even restore from backup on the replacement I got and still have issues.

Yep! Seems to be an issue with all of our iOS devices (iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro, iPad mini 6). Haven’t bothered with even attempting a fix honestly

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Oh that’s a real good call. Our main router is an Eero and it definitely does that! Good to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Is anyone else’s Google search results broken in Safari? I’ve turned off all extensions and still can’t click the top few results of a Google search page.