Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still have istat installed on my phone, a remnant from when the memory clear function worked and it may or may not have done anything (probably not, but early memory management wasn't great). But the uptime counter still works.

I've had my iPhone 6 coming up to a year now, and it kind of astounds me that a device that I use constantly had been turned off maybe... 3 times since I've owned it? And I think all but 1 might've been for a software update. Maybe all 3 were.

It's currently on 70 days. I've seen it above 100 before. That's ridiculous. It's not as if I'm even trying to keep it running by impairing my use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TinTower posted:

iOS 8.4 was released 70 days ago.

That it was, I wanted to try Apple Music so I did the update. Probably wouldn't have bothered if it was just a point release with nothing new or bug fixes for stuff that didn't affect me.

You hear about servers having up times of 10 years but a lot of the time they're not doing anything that intense (it's still neat though). This thing lives in my pocket permanently, goes everywhere I go, gets dropped sometimes, goes on international flights and gets used a poo poo ton. I get the odd respring and that's it. It blows my mind as to the stability of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think the 6S might be the first new iPhone where I'm not feeling really jealous of people who can do an upgrade every year. 3D Touch isn't something I can imagine making any appreciable difference to how I use the phone and just kinda seems like another way of doing long-presses.

I'm in the same boat, but they probably know that the majority of people are on a 2 year upgrade plan so there wasn't much point throwing all their eggs into one basket. People were probably already counting down for their 5S to hit the end of the contract so they could get their hands on a 6 as it was a pretty upgrade.

I think the 3D Touch looks cool though and I'm keen to try it. The camera I'm less caring about, because they always show amazing photography off at these things... at the end of the day it's a higher megapixel count (semi useless) with some better processing (semi useful). The shots most people will take will probably look the same as the current camera under most circumstances.

If they added manual features into the native software, that would've been a bigger leap. Even if it was simplified nicely, because most people won't care about what f-stop to use but 'everything in focus' or 'just subject in focus' modes would've been a neat bridge.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The new camera is actually more interesting to me than the 3D Touch, purely because my DSLR is rain damaged and I really didn't use it enough to justify paying whatever amount Canon would want to fix it. Totally agree on more f-stop/aperture options, though. I didn't even stop to think that the camera hardware was really capable of more control.

That sucks, I have weather sealing on my DSLR but it's still not something I want to test out too fully.

The iPhone camera is decent for a 'I've always got it on me' device, but even after years of ownership I just don't find the thing easy to use. I can pull it out, aim at what I want and get a photo, which is fine. But beyond the 'tap to focus' I don't like the control (exposure compensation never works how I want it to, zero control over the aperture, shutter speed or ISO). The phone is making too many decisions for me, yet it doesn't know what I want the image to look like.

Absolutely fine for a 'huh, this is cool and I want a memory of it' for me, but that's about it. I've always wanted to see the circumstances the 'untouched photos' they show at these events were done. Some the photographer has absolute control over lighting, probably has the phone stabilised etc but I genuinely don't know how they do it for the most part.

e: also I hope that Walt Mossberg was joking about his DSLR comment yesterday, "you must feel like a real idiot for owning this" or similar to a reporter with a camera.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, I've got VSCO which does that, but I've never been truly convinced by it - albeit I've not spent that much time in them. I'm talking about the native camera app. Maybe the photographers aren't using the iPhone app, which would make some sense.

They're really pushing what you can do with tiny sensors and tiny lenses, and it's cool - but it's never going to be more than a snapshot tool for me personally. I bow down to those who get amazing shots from these things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, opening image capture shows all my iPhone photos as having a focal length of 4mm (naturally fixed) at f/2.2

I presume all the apps that give you manual control are faking a lot of it, but having the ability to put hard limits on say the shutter speed would be useful. I dunno. To me it just seems that all phone camera manufacturers try to say how much better this years camera is, but you've got such hard limitations in place that it can only do so much. You can take real pretty photos, no doubt, but whenever I see a tech site say it's time to throw away your 'real cameras' I just bang my head against the desk. Although to be honest, most things tech sites say make me do the same thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

XyrlocShammypants posted:

As I get less and less interested in shooting at range and more and more interested in portraits, this is especially true. Never thought that would happen.

The iPhone has a 4mm fixed lens with a crop factor of 7.21, which gives you an effective 28mm field of view if you were to compare to full frame. Ideally you'd want a fast zoom or prime of say 80mm to 200mm for portrait use, especially if you want the nice bokeh (blurry backgrounds).

Unless you want to clamp on a bunch of crap to your phone, your dslr is far, far more capable of doing good portraiture than your phone is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just grabbed the ipsw and option-update installed it, same as I've always done with betas. Never needed udid or anything and works fine.

The lack of news app because I'm in the uk sucks though as I wanted to mess about with that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LionYeti posted:

Or when safari tabs reload all the goddamn time.

Agreed. I don't care how much cpu power or ram is in my phone, but I jump from safari to answer a text and jump back in 10 seconds later - it shouldn't be reloading.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

japtor posted:

Content blocking might help a bit with the tab reloads.

Ooh I forgot about that. Time to turn it on if it's not by default! Thanks for the reminder.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

spongeworthy posted:

I am not a fan of iOS 9's new app switcher layout at all. I realize it's more Cover Flow like I guess, but it seems very crowded and much less helpful to browse and glance at information displayed on running apps.

I don't like it either. It looks like the ctrl-tab '3D' app switch on Windows that I don't like either. I thought the old version looked good and was more functional, even though I didn't use the stuff they put above/below the multitask bar.

I'll get used to it, and it's not too bad if you're just switching between current/last used app, but yeah. Didn't like it on WWDC demo, don't like it now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't ever think my (crappy, but good for foreign transactions) Aqua card is ever likely to see it. Annoying, as it's more convenient to use Apple Pay than it is to fish out my wallet and go through chip+pin for purchases.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

uninterrupted posted:

I actually really miss the old app switcher where you'd just get the last four app icons pop up at the bottom of the screen, and you could just swipe left for more.

Oh yeah, that one was quite neat too. I don't think the current one will stick around, maybe it works better on iPads or something though?

A little touch I like, though - double click home button on the lock screen takes you into Wallet straight away. Nice and fast. Doesn't replace any existing function from what I can tell either, and it's pretty natural.

e: also the 'you'll get better battery life' thing seems to be legit from my own anecdotal experiences. I haven't even touched low power mode yet, but I'm going to bed with a lot more juice than I was before. As someone who suffered one of the iPhone 5S bad battery batches for 8 months, it's a relief to not be plugging my phone in permanently.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 11, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd check that the card isn't going to have an issue with being kept so close to the phone - I was on vacation in a hotel that used RFID cards for room access and some of my friends were finding theirs blanked. I kept mine behind my phone (a Rineke Fusion case) and it worked a treat... until it blanked about a week in. Probably just crap cards they used, but might be a pain if it kept happening to you.

Don't think it will be an issue with your Apple Pay though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope 9.1 is being work on hard, because 9.0 is pretty rough around the edges. Yeah, typical x.0 release and usually I've suffered through betas rather than jumping in at GM like I did this time, but quite a few things bugging me.

* App Store screwed up and Facebook Messenger entered a state of limbo where it was both installed and not installed. Forced it off, did a reinstall and finally got it working, but it's still not playing right (all my messages are coming through as Facebook notifications not Messenger, and neither app are getting badges).

* Volume control just stopped working out of nowhere

* That swipe left screen seems really lanky. Swipe down to get the news, but if I swipe up it tries to go into search. It already has a search box, so I have no idea why it's reacting to a swipe. React when I click the search box.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dugong posted:

I assumed that Brits would be the ones getting shafted on phone conrtacts but I guess not. I'm planning to get a 6s in December and then get a £15 a month top up thing that gives unlimited data,texts and some minutes.

Yeah it seems a little better over here than the US. But this doesn't stop me hating, with good reason, pretty much every carrier there is.

Like T-Mobile, who didn't cancel my contract despite the fact I cancelled it but said I 'might call back for a PAC' but then didn't as I liked my new number. 6 months of extra charges I got about 40% back from.

Or o2 who gave me the wrong return address for my lease handset on a sticker, and if it wasn't for the fact I paid for tracking and proved I sent it meant that iI only had to deal with debt collectors and o2s lovely customer service for 18 months

Or Vodafone who turned off my phone because someone who rang up and failed DPA asked them too.

They all suck so hard it blows my mind. I don't get this poo poo from any other industry.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ooh does that mean apps that open a web window will have options like using Reader too? That'll be neat for my RSS feeds.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you google it you will find it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No chance of taking it back to the guy you got it from? That's dodgy as hell.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't think I'd trust anyone other than Apple or Apple Certified to do a screen swap. My housemate could tell one that hadn't been done properly in an instant, it's just not worth it.

One friend got super lucky - he has a 3rd party do it, they of course hosed it up, then went to Apple with an unrelated issue and found out he knew the guy on bar and they got chatting and didn't pay too much attention to the handset. He didn't do a proper check on the phone and swapped it out for a refurb without charge.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boris Galerkin posted:

What world do you live in where you think you can return things bought from strangers on Craigslist?

He didn't say it was Craigslist until a follow up post.

And aren't a lot of Craigslist deals done at houses? I've always done that at the equivalent here. Maybe it was a public place, maybe the dude was built like a linebacker. Sucks he got ripped off though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I guess it's a different level of crazy over the pond. I've never had issues with people over here, but the worst I've ever dealt with here are dumbasses rather than crazies loaded to the teeth.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Siri is faster and recognises me better (even when I'm absolutely stuffed up with allergies) but still gives ridiculous answers.

"When are Wales playing next?" gives me a result from 2013 and says it doesn't know when they're playing next (it's in a few weeks)

"How are Cardiff City Football Club doing?" inexplicably gives me the same data from Wales' match in 2013 as above.

I blame Yahoo, the data source, rather than Siri itself but it's still useless if I want to know things like these, which are pretty common requests. It does better with NFL, no surprise.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

uPen posted:

Does it improve asking her to call people? Asking Siri to call ATT Customer support or basically anything else has her tell me that ATT isn't on my contact list (no poo poo) while ok google will happily google for their number and dial.

Call Vodafone
"I don't see Vodafone in your contacts, do you want me to look for them?"
Yes
"Here's a list of places..."

And gives me a list of retail stores near me.

Call Vodafone Customer Services

Brings up the same list of retail stores near me.

So, iffy at best.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You download the app then it'll unlock a Content Blocker in Settings > Safari to enable it. Similar to how keyboards work (a bit daft but hey)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bronin posted:

Ok thanks. I couldn't seem to find crystal in the App Store but searching with Google and then getting a link to the app in The App Store worked.

Btw, did iOS 9 install two new apps that can't be deleted? Find my iPhone and find my friends just showed up on my home screen.

Crystal has a dumb name because there's a million apps that come up. I found it by searching for 'crystal content'.

Pretty sure Find My iPhone/Friends apps became standard as of iOS 8.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Update All was greyed out for me earlier, but a bit of scrolling around and it popped back to blue. I'm gonna guess servers are just being utterly hammered right now that's all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bronin posted:

Hmm weird. I honestly didn't have that app when I was on iOS 8.

Sorry, I was wrong. Just saw a roundup saying they're now default.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought I was going crazy because I kept hitting the Pause button in timer and not Start, but it seems Apple swapped the positions over for... reasons?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I have zero tears about content blocking, and I've got ads on my website.

My ads make me poo poo all money because the rates are set by the advertisers (or to be succinct: Google) and the publishers of content have always been hosed. Buy a magazine and the circulation amount sets how much the ads are worth, but someone in the interim decided that 'ads shown per thousand impressions' are worth essentially nothing. Unless you're running a site with a ridiculous amount of traffic, you have to show advertisements based on clicks. So I can fill my sites with adverts that nobody clicks, I get nothing and it ruins the experience for my viewers. The only winners are the advertising agencies, because their message is out there and it cost them nothing.

It was always a matter of time before someone said "you know what, gently caress you".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chrome doesn't. I can understand people who want to sync chrome mobile to their machines using it, but God is that browser bad on iOS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The web should've worked out a micropayment system akin to paypal (but less hated) that was quick, secure and easy and meant access to good quality journalism free of intrusive ads and tracking. But no, they forced us into a system that everyone hates and now we have the ability to do something about it.

Funny how Android has had ad blockers for ages, yet it's only when iOS gets involved does the industry poo poo itself. Guess all those metrics must tell them that that's the only platform to worry about.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh wow, I didn't realise it was that bad (I stay away from Android as much as I can). I see why they're worried.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Now imagine if all it took was a quick thumbprint scan on Apple Pay and a tiny $0.05 payment to see a piece of content - I get the feeling more people would be willing to do that than to pay a large monthly subscription whether they're regularly checking the site or not.

Boom, think you nailed it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought Apple Pay stripped everything like that and simply provided the payment to whoever is selling the goods with next to no information? It's why a lot of the stores don't like it, because they believe they should know as much as possible about each customer. Because they're dicks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FCKGW posted:

Just laughing at the though that someone would pay 5 cents or 1 cent or whatever everyone they clicked the next button on imgur. It will never ever happen.

I don't think all web content could or should be monetised, but if I had to pay a few cents for a John Siracusa (RIP, professionally at least) review of OS X, I wouldn't think twice about it. The web has effectively killed good journalism because it's all about speed, and most articles online are full of errors and not worth the time reading because good writing doesn't equate to income. The only way sites can make money is to piss the user off, because the only ads that pay anything worthwhile are the ones that gently caress people over the most.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's a Goon thread (or series of threads, I think) about building blog empires that look like they're useful information sites, but really are just designed to fill niche gaps and cash in using adverts and affiliate links (which I don't think are targeted right now? But that would be a good one just to kill the fake coupon websites). They're probably not loving this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Khablam posted:

Most ad supported sites rely on impressions, not clicks. It's the equivalent of having someone view a billboard.

You can only make money off impressions (paid per 1000) if you're getting really, really good traffic. The amount they pay per view is pitiful. Whereas on clicks, back a few years ago I could make over $2/click on my site. That figure has dropped to about 10% of what it was, and I bet the impressions per 1k has dropped even lower too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember there being one more icon than the first screen had room for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One thing that that highlights is that Visual Voicemail has been around since inception, and my carrier (and probably countless others) still can't support it.