Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think kids are gonna sleep just fine, since Clara straight-up said it was nothing. The last 5-10 minutes ruined what was otherwise a decent if jumbled episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No no, you were right the first time, that's Dash Rendar.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The idea of a monster that only does anything if there's another plausible explanation is a fantastic one and it deserved a better episode than this one.

As for slamming the door... well they already knew it was there, maybe it just did that as a courtesy to let them know they could turn around? Assuming it was a monster. Which is entirely possible.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Something broke the air shell around Orson's ship. It couldn't have been just from the door opening, or it would have been a pretty pointless air shell.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well duh. When you looked, she sat on top of the bed instead.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This incarnation of Clara actually met the War Doctor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

In Day of the Doctor, I reasoned it was a nearby planet because the clear blue skies were suspiciously free of the aerial bombardment by Dalek forces that was supposedly going on at the same time.

And Gallifrey's sky is orange anyway.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rita Repulsa posted:

So far I think that 12's defining moment is "I have a horrible feeling I'm going to have to kill you."
Which is one reason why I can't write off Deep Breath completely.

That scene totally blindsided me, it was so good and the rest of the episode was so crap. It didn't fit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Super.Jesus posted:

This is also basically the same character:
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Cofelia

And this one:
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Kovarian

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Hahaha yeah, that does seem to be the horror wheelhouse of New Who. There's also the "Don't look at it" from Listen (and to a lesser extent "Don't get distracted!" for Clara while she was flying the TARDIS). It doesn't bother me nearly as much, although I think the "Don't think!" one was pushing it a little. It's a quick way to build tension and force the audience and characters to live in the moment, to stay hyper-focused on something they can barely control. They're basically all variations of something stomping around while we're hiding under the bed, trying not to make a sound and controlling our breathing.

Still, hopefully they don't have a monster that only preys on the sick so that the Doctor has to tell everyone not to cough.

Curse of the Black Spot says hi.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Same coat though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NO DANNY

E: WOO DANNY

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jesus Christ Clara, how long did it take you to get to just coming out with the truth.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Perfect way of discouraging her.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But now the spiders have human mouths! They're mouthspiders!

Does that last scene mean the guy behind the desk is Saint Peter?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hang on, how the gently caress was the moon getting more massive? Eggs don't get heavier over time, where was all the extra mass coming from?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

HD DAD posted:

For the past four episodes, I've really been getting a Berman-era Star Trek vibe, and I can't exactly place why.

You mean like Voyager and Enterprise?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's a family show. Kids get the big obvious dilemma about killing the dragon or destroying the world, adults get to "enjoy" the subtext about abortion.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Like a big American nerd, I ordered some British candy stuff - some of which was Doctor Who related. Already tried Matt Smith's Jammy Dodgers, which were pretty good. Will definitely be ordering more of those as treats.

Today my Jelly Babies arrived though.

Trying my first one - an orange one. Conclusion: Hmm! I rather like them.

Edit: Tried a few more and I really dig them. I will be now stockpiling plenty of imported Jelly Babies in the future because they're wonderful.

As a Brit, this post is really surreal.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought it was pretty clear that GUS was an AI.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Know what I think? I think Clara should have died in Name of the Doctor, the Doctor should have gone into the 50th alone and he should have picked up the girl who hero-worshipped him as his new companion. I've got nothing against Jenna Coleman but as much as they seem to be trying to ignore it, Name of the Doctor happened, Clara made that choice to become woven into the Doctor's entire timeline. After that I don't think her voluntarily leaving the Doctor will ever ring true. Hero worship girl could have gone through the same arc as Clara has done this season, even! Explore the disconnect between Smith as the Doctor she was expecting and Capaldi as the Doctor she got.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Feel free to elaborate on that I guess? The splintering in Name was the perfect conclusion to the whole horrible mess that the ~Impossible Girl~ thing - Clara's entire defining trait- had become. Once that was concluded, the character should have been wrapped up. The Clara of this season is practically an entirely different character from the Clara who travelled with Eleven, complete with entirely different background out of nowhere, except that she's still dragging around the "I am the girl who was born to save the Doctor" baggage.

Besides, hero worship girl would have been starting from the exact same place regarding her feelings about the Doctor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wasn't that the point of the Moment wearing Rose's face? It should have been, anyway, get more focus on that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Holy poo poo that episode ruled!

The Incredible Shrinking TARDIS reminded me of Logopolis, Clara got to be the first female Doctor (ish), the Doctor picked up a couple of Clara's personality traits (like babbling while constantly correcting herself), we got an insight into Twelve's self loathing... just fantastic all around.

Keep givin' that man scripts. All the scripts.

Babbling while correcting yourself was one of Tennant's, weelll Smith probably did it too, weelll I reckon he got the "weelll" thing from Tom Baker.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RTD-era? No, no, this is definitely an Eleven-type magical fairy tale bullshit resolution very much in the style of The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe, and I mean that in every sense.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And that's not even mentioning why Amy didn't remember the Earth being stolen by Daleks.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Kill The Moon clearly believes that the storytelling economics it is beholden to are better spent on the morals and themes it endeavors to explore than with psuedoscientific gobbledygook, and I frankly agree. The precise atomic or biological mechanism by which the Moon is violating mass/energy conservation doesn't actually factor into the plot at any point. It's NOT relevant to the narrative and therefore doesn't need to make sense..

Whether you find those themes engaging or well-handled is up to you, of course, but I see zero reasonable distinction at all between how the Forest worked this episode and how the Moon worked a few episodes back.

But there is an explanation, and it's insultingly stupid. The Doctor declares "Aha! It's gaining mass because it's an egg!" and we as viewers are expected to nod along sagely and go "Ah, that explains everything."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

The Seventh Doctor is the best Doctor because he's always prepared for rain.

My statements don't have a solid throughline because I genuinely don't understand the appeal of Legos. Its not so much the enjoyment of it (I get that its a mindless activity after a hard day's work), but the cost/benefit ratio of it. Spending $35 dollars for a half hour of enjoyment, and then being left with the clutter of the completed lego kit, seems crazy to me. Why not take that time and money and put it towards building furniture, something people actually use and has actual value?

But then you can take it apart and make something else. And again, and again, and again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

dogs named Charlie posted:

I've seen people complaining that episodes don't make sense. Doctor Who episodes, not making sense. This very episode there was complaining about there not being people on the streets. Would you have liked more bewildered bumbling Englishmen wandering around in bathrobes?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Didn't he die in The Doctor's Wife?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think that one counts as a death since he would have died from the Dalek death ray, but regenerating from 2 to 3 wasn't a death.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Revenant Threshold posted:

Has to be said though, "the dead outnumber the living" isn't greatly portrayed by eight or so Cybermen total.

Isn't that actually not true now? I remember it making headlines a few years back, when the living population of the world started to outnumber all the people who'd ever died. Of course, in a world with a few more invasions than ours has had...

Wyld Karde posted:

Gonna second that :tviv:. That was a hell of a ride. Coleman and Capaldi nailed the scene at the volcano, even if it was a bit copped out. I'm a sucker for metaphysical stuff like afterlife stories so that was pleasing too. Totally called the Cybermen hiding in the Dark Water but was thrown out by Missy=Mistress=Master, I'd written it off as being an obvious feint.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Aliases_of_the_Master

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't imagine that possibly being true.

Just looked it up, seems like I was wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16870579

quote:

The population of the planet reached seven billion in October, according to the United Nations. But what's the figure for all those who have lived before us?

It is often said that there are more people alive today than have ever lived - and this "fact" has raised its head again since the UN announcement about the planet's population reaching a new high.

The idea helps fuel fears that the population is expanding too fast.

It is true that if you delve back into the mists of time, the population of Earth was tiny in comparison to today and logically it might seem plausible that the living outnumber the dead.

So what are the figures? There are currently seven billion people alive today and the Population Reference Bureau estimates that about 107 billion people have ever lived.

This means that we are nowhere near close to having more alive than dead. In fact, there are 15 dead people for every person living. We surpassed seven billion dead way back between 8000BC and AD1.

Googling it got a lot of things from around 4th, 5th of February 2012, so maybe I was remembering that claim being thrown around at the time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

dsub posted:

Clara really did put the sleep patch on him at the beginning, the Doctor dreamt he outwitted her, this is all a dream.

Ask me what happens if you die in reality.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doug Sisk posted:

Danny as a cyberman companion next year, we know the Doctor can grow to like individual ones!

Let's see, cyber-converted former lover

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The red phone booths are probably just a London thing now, like big red buses.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Antti posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely expected them to emerge not into London, but from the Master's TARDIS, since I reasoned one place the Nethersphere could fit into easily would be a TARDIS.

Although that would have meant materializing into the Master's TARDIS with the Doctor's TARDIS and I have a recollection that that's established as being a Never Cross the Streams thing to do.

Edit: I looked this up and looks like I indeed need to watch Logopolis :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahl3R2a2wuY

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

"Time travel is something that happens in Doctor Who."

Disagree. I think it's all just an optical illusion, or some kind of holodeck.

E:

Acne Rain posted:

"The doctor's real name should never be revealed to the audience"

uhh we know his real name? it's Who

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ewe2 posted:

Surely the one thing to agree on is easy:

It's bigger on the inside.

No it's not that's just special effects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My school library had the novel of the movie, I think the CGI snake was explained in that.

• Locked thread