Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I'm rather holding out for Alex MacQueen myself

Oh I can only hope if The Master comes back, it's with either MacQueen or Gatiss. Since I kinda doubt Gatiss would want to take on a recurring role (and a well known one), I will hold out for MacQueen.

Now we get Tennant to don some make-up and he can be a secondary character as Brimmicombe-Wood. In fact, let's just start producing Big Finish stories and call it a day.

I would love an "Unbound" episode, or whatever you want to call it, where it completely changes things (like Turn Left but with less focus on "this is the correct path and if you fail to follow it BAD poo poo HAPPENS" and more on just exploring the world after the point of departure.

Hell, make it an alternate reality thing if you need a reason. Maybe just send Clara there and she gets to meet this "alternate Doctor" (who eventually sends her home, of course).

OK now I'm just writing fan-fiction, time to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

If Missy is revealed to just be the villain's right hand woman, and she knocks an office door to reveal MacQueen wiggling his fingers at her with a "Hello, you!", you will hear the squeal I make on the other side of the Atlantic.
This is the best possible outcome for the Promise Land/Afterlife thing. So much could be done with that - having The Master be the 'silent partner' who gets revealed at the end of the 2nd Act with a "Hello, you!" cliffhanger is about the best surprise I could imagine.

jng2058 posted:

Re: manchild

But now Twelve is on the scene. And he's presumably got a full regeneration slate ahead of him. He's almost the reverse of Smith, the young man in an older man's body. Unlike Eleven who was feeling the weight of his upcoming final death, Twelve knows he's got at least twelve more bodies to go after he burns through this one. And that means, whether he consciously acknowledges this or not, he can kinda cut loose. Indulge himself in some childishness because, in a way, he's gotten a second childhood!

Do we know he has a full set of regenerations? I can't remember if it was implied, assumed, or ambiguous - all I recall is Smith's "breaking new ground" statement from Time. If it's ambiguous, I wonder if that uncertainty plays into some of the 'unexpectedly grumpy' thing.

Just had a thought as I started to hit post - what if all this "am I a good man" stuff is because The Doctor came face to face with his own mortality, and doesn't want to be 'judged' poorly in death (He wants to get into Afterlife/Promised Land/maybe he is starting to open to the possibility of a non-science based world?).

Or Moffatt just said "This Doctor is gonna be DIFFERENT" because he was bored. Whatever.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

... So did everyone miss the post I made about Maggie Stables suggesting in an interview that Evelyn should be made a fan of pot brownies?

Because it's the sort of thing that I feel warrants SOME attention :420:

Evelyn is definitely my #1 companion for Six, but I based it entirely on the character and haven't heard much behind the scenes stuff with her. Maggie just won me over on that front as well.

To be fair, us stoners are pretty easy to impress. Just mention weed in a non-alarmist way and that pretty much sinks it.

By the way, how is the Big Finish Talks with Maggie? I saw you received it - the only behind the scenes stuff I've listened to has been for Unit Dominion and Light at The End, but those were fun so might pick up some interview discs if they're recommended.

Attitude Indicator posted:

no, we didn't. but you're really goddamn annoying so maybe we're just ignoring you

Boo. DoctorWhat is sometimes obnoxious with his over-enthusiasm, but I still look forward to his posts because I've picked up so much trivia from him that it more than balances out, IMO.

McGann
May 19, 2003

jng2058 posted:

I'd try Unregenerate. It's not a classic or anything, but it did manage to surprise me some down the stretch, which counts for something.

I remember enjoying this, but that's about all I remember except somehow time lords are involved .

This is my opportunity to praise Unit: Dominion again, but I absolutely adore this story. It's probably my #1 for most re-listens. l I know it is regarded well by those who listen to it, but I don't know how popular it is among the general crowd. So might be a deeper cut, might not, but good regardless! Part of my love for it is the fact that I didn't have the twist spoiled for me, so it was really a twist.

edit: And I have given copies of Live 34 to two people (along with Light at the End) to introduce them to Big Finish, so gotta prop that here as well. I adore that format, but I am also a big War of the Worlds fan. Reviews tend to be hit or miss due to the format.

McGann
May 19, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, what? I had no idea either. Guess I'll see you guys there!

Edit - Holy loving poo poo Paul McGann is gonna be there? Now I HAVE TO go.
And buy a physical copy of Chimes of Midnight for him to sign. And The Light at the End. And Dark Eyes 1&2.

Holy poo poo, not to mention C Bakes, the supporting cast from the TV Movie, Frazier Hines, Terry Molloy (I'd love to get a Scarifyer autograph), Terrance Dicks, and hell even looks like Big Finish has a presence (Jason Haigh-Ellery).

Interesting mix of guests, I'm jealous.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Red Dawn I can vouch for being awful. The only reason I remember anything about it is because the title is so obvious about it being an Ice Warriors story.

For decent Ice Warrior stories, check out Lords of the Red Planet, which is an origin story with the 2nd Doctor. Thin Ice and Crime of the Century are another set of decent Ice Warrior stories (Though I forget if Crime has much of them besides an off-hand reference or two. I can't remember if the alien mercenaries hired by the Soviet Colonel are Ice Warriors or Metatraxi (sp?) , with the 7th Doctor, Ace, and Rain. Both of those are from the Lost Stories collection.

edit: OK, Crime is the Metatraxi, and I now remember why I love them so much such as once the Doctor fixes one of their universal translators, but he fixes it into "early 90s surfer" mode. Imagine a Sontaran charging into battle saying "Righteous! We shall die in honor, totally tubular!" and you've got the idea .

McGann fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 1, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

cosplay in motion, by me

because someone built a TARDIS for NYCC and I had the opportunity

DoctorWhat is so loving adorable. Favorite poster in this thread, by far. (No offense J-Ru and Cobi, but call me when you guys start doing your reviews in cosplay)

McGann
May 19, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

People like you two are the reason I was very underwhelmed by Caves of Androzani the first time I watched it.

I see I was not alone in this. It's a great story and one of my faves, but it didn't blow my mind or anything. However, that cliffhanger is still my favorite Five moment.

"Sorry, seems to be locked."
"...Or more likely, crashing down"

And then goes on to basically rapidly explain his current pathos to the merc guy (for no real reason) yet still makes it AWESOME "So you see, I'm not gonna let you stop me now!"

McGann fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 14, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

Filox posted:

So much so that I refuse to speculate on the Missy plot even in my own head because I'm bored with hard-rear end, mysterious, crazy lady wearing ugly makeup baits the Doctor.

...but, you're in the Doctor Who thread, you're supposed to be OCD about this type of stuff!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Here's a different topic that I see popping up repeatedly in this thread, but it finally has personal significance to me so I'll bring it back up.

Classic Who really does have kind of a 'reverse tolerance' thing with regard to the different eras (filming/editing/scripting/padding/etc). I honestly didn't believe it and really had to force myself through episodes, but these days I find myself glad for the end of the night so I can go through my post-teaching ritual of making/eating dinner while watching whatever classic serial I managed to find at the Library.

One part per day is perfect pacing and I thank this thread for giving me the info I needed to cross the boundary from a partial Who nerd into a complete Who nerd. Luckily my local library branches have a healthy selection, since I killed my Hulu account (and have burned through the pathetically small and seemingly random Netflix/Amazon collection).

edit: Perfect opportunity to ask, in your opinions, what's the best 'representation' of the First Doctor, episode wise? I don't mean the typical 'best' or whatever that's usually asked, but what gives the best overall feel for his run? I've never watched an entire one of his and he's the only Doctor I have been unable to get myself into.

edit: gently caress, I thought I remembered Dark Eyes 3 coming out in October so I went to check today and now it seems it was pushed to November and I never noticed. So excited for this one.

McGann fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 14, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

Little_wh0re posted:

Space museum

Oh don't worry, I'll get there eventually...

(I've heard it's pretty much self parody?)

Bicyclops posted:

His era is really all over the place, so it's a bit difficult to pick something that's a perfect representation. I guess if I had to pick one, I'd say the Sensorites.

I was afraid of that, new show finding it's feet and all that. I just love historicals and from all I hear they were still doing a lot of them.

Since I'm planning on trading in Four To Doomsday today (working through Death to the Daleks at the moment), I'll see if I can't run a copy down somewhere for my next choice.

edit x2: I'm the king of the 5-10 minute edit and you guys are making it hard by being TOO Helpful TOO quickly! (Kidding, of course)

McGann fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 14, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

For whatever [OK, it's obvious] reason, I find the artwork for Dark Eyes 3 CD 2 to be hilarious. I don't want to say Alex MacQueen looks ridiculous in a cowboy hat buuuut...

Image in question:

http://i.imgur.com/4rmX3gc.jpg

edit: Woah, didn't think it was quite that large...linking instead.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

That's one interpretation but the dialogue in the episode suggests that he simply died too quickly and was dead before having chance to regenerate. He has a discussion with Wilf later on in the series that says that can happen.

I'm all in favour of the idea that he used up all his regenerations underwater though, because I like when shows get morbid like that.

Yeah, I have always thought the dialogue was explicit in that scene, he died too quickly to regenerate. I think the UNIT guy was a regular (for UNIT episodes, anyway?) and knew what he looked like, so would be kinda dumb for him to say that if he was wearing a different face.

qntm posted:

I'm about to go back in time and make it known earlier.

Maybe you already did? What if you were the one he heard it from, originally, you just haven't gone back and done it yet? What if he is from the future, went back and told you? And then that version of you ran into a past version of him, and you didn't realize he didn't know it yet and so you just blabbed it out and the

Sorry, been listening to the Klein trilogy this past week.

McGann fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 15, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

He was literally a background character from the Sontaran two-parter, which chronologically took place after the Racnoss invasion.

Ah, I am just starting to re-watch some of Tennant's run, so I forgot that Turn Left had a big chronological leap backwards. Though it should've been obvious in retrospect. What I'm saying is: Touché.

And 10 is definitely a loving sociopath. Which leads me to a very spergy thought - do time lords have mental disorders? If so, do they carry on with the next regeneration?

Then I thought 'bout it for 5 seconds and realized I didn't actually care. Carry on, nerd brain.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Burkion posted:

...do Time Lords have mental disorders.

The Master!

The Master.

Seriously, YES Time Lords have mental problems.

I guess I should have phrased that better, but every time I rephrase it I answer my own question before I even finish the thought.

Depressed Time Lord? 8 in Dark Eyes.

Manic Time Lord? 11..pretty much pick an episode.

I would put 7 and 12 as sociopaths if they didn't still feel moral responsibility (and early 1, though I am using this thread as a reference and not my own interpretation). In fact, I guess Time Lord Society (tm) as a whole kinda fits the theme depending on how you view their non-interventions/CIA actions (god I hate that acronym).

Now I've gone and sperged out on it like I thought I wouldn't. I'm veering into Community/Abed and Sherlock/Sherlock aspergers territory here, bail out!

edit:

Jerusalem posted:

God I'd forgotten how much I love The Big Bang.

I always forget how much I adore this episode for some of the best usage of timey-wimey hijinx in NuWho.

McGann fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 15, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

Just posting to say A) Dark Eyes is still awesome, even on my ~ 4th re-listen (prepping for Dark Eyes III next month) and B) Jago & Litefoot Series 8 came out today. Which makes me happy but sad because I can't afford it in my audio budget just yet. But it's there, waiting!

And let's not gently caress with Clara's characterization now that she's finally becoming, well, an actual character.

McGann fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 16, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

jng2058 posted:

I've always figured that, as usual, the Doctor is an outlier. I expect that, at least until the Time War anyway, most Time Lords regenerated when they wanted to, not because they needed to from traumatic injury. The Doctor lives a dangerous life and therefore has to save his regenerations for when he's inevitably killed in action. Most Time Lords probably flip the switch when aging starts to be a problem or when they feel the current body start to perform sub-optimally.

I dunno, I got the opposite feel from Dark Eyes as (spoilers for the last 3rd of Dark Eyes to follow) Straxis has one of his CIA operatives sacrifice themselves on Stranghor (sp), where The Doctor assumes he hasn't regenerated before (and he confirms this, or he is saying 'no, not possible' - kinda hard to tell in the context) and starts to explain it before being told it's not possible.. Then again, Dark Eyes is set pretty close to the start of the Time War, so could still fit into your theory.

But that's just the most recent audio I recall that mentioned regeneration explicitly, I'm sure if I wiki'd it enough I would find several opposite examples (and several more supporting it, and then two more crazy rear end theories that make no sense)

edit: vvv True, I had that thought but it struck me as odd that a CIA operative was assumed to have never regenerated before. My own interpretation, though.

McGann fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 17, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Also, you've got to imagine that CIA agents probably get shot more often than regular stay at home Time Lords do.

I edited to reply to this but now I have to reply (for realz, yo). I opened the Tardis wiki page about Regeneration and...holy poo poo is it long. I'm usually gung-ho about reading these things but goddamn, a little too detailed for me.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Regeneration

edit:

Tardis Wiki posted:

The residual energy also provided a Time Lord with greater endurance; the Twelfth Doctor fell out of tree, but remained unaffected by it. (TV: Deep Breath)

...Seriously? Sperg much? That's pretty flimsy evidence

McGann fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 17, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That moment where the Doctor reveals he set things up so he could force the Mummy to choose him as its next target is absolutely stunning, and the way his theme kicks in is the perfect accompaniment. I haven't agreed with the people who said that Capaldi didn't quite feel like he was the Doctor yet, but surely nobody could question it after THAT moment?

Hell, reading that review made me load up Mummy for a third viewing before Saturday. I really, really, enjoyed that episode. I'm not sure if I like Into the Dalek or Mummy on the Orient Express better, but between the two they're the most enjoyable of the season (thus far).

McGann
May 19, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Doctor Who Series 8 (34): Twelfth Doctor fell out of tree, but remained unaffected by it

I didn't realize at the time how hilarious this is, considering some guy literally saw that scene and said "Yup, that's super Time Lord Regeneration Power right there!", got onto the wiki and wrote that up. Then sat back in their chair with a smug look of satisfaction.

All thread titles should be ridiculous Wiki entries

Edit: The Doctor would sit on top of his Tardis in order to hear better [TV: Listen]

McGann fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 17, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like to imagine that all the biking and running around gave lardo 6 a hearts attack and that's what actually killed him.

Made me imagine that there are some Time Lords out there dedicating some of their regenerations to stupid, reckless, lifestyles.

Regen 1: Alcohol induced liver failure
Regen 2: Dead from untreated STD making its way to the brain
Regen 3: Died from staser accident
Regen 4: Died from staser again, but this time as a hilarious party trick (*Shoots self in head, regenerates*)

Or the vain Time Lords who kill themselves a couple times to get a face they "like".

Mainly I'm just imagining a Time Lord going through a glutton faze where they grow to be 400+ lbs and just eat themselves to death. Y'know, just once to see what it's like.

...All right, the Time Lord in all these scenarios is me (in my head).

Except the last one:

edit: Fixed my freudian slip from Regen 2 but more importantly WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON, MCCOY. The Doctor doesn't wear crocs!

edit x2: Or the Time Lord obsessed with an unrequited love, who regenerates in order to "try again".

I really need to do something more productive with my time off.

McGann fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 17, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

I would literally lose my poo poo if that happened. McGann would loving kill The Doctor going around the universe in the Time War, trying to remain as distanced as possible from it but still witnessing the horror of it.

Considering all the "wink and nod" stuff we've gotten so far, I would not be surprised to see this restriction lifted as we move away from the 50th. What I wouldn't be expecting (but hope for against all hopes) is some War Doctor audios.

Y'know what would be hard to do 'right' but would be an interesting thought? Get McGann/Hurt together for a multi-Doctor story. You think 10/11 had disdain for the War Doctor? Imagine 8 meeting him, especially a war-weary 8 (Dark Eyes era) who is already desperately seeking some hope to hold onto. "Y'know that thing you're expending so much energy and stressing about staying out of? Yeah, you eventually give in anyway"

I think if enough time passed, we might actually get some War Doctor / Time War audios. However, considering Hurt's age, I don't see it happening. Sadly.

edit: Though looking at his wiki page (to find his actual age - 74), seems his father lived until 95. So he's got the genes (potentially) for a longer than average life!

McGann fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 18, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

I'd forgotten the second Klein trilogy even existed (nevermind the fact that I'd listened to it before - shut up, I drank a lot then) but I'm not sure how to feel about it. It's not as good as the initial one, but it's not bad, except that the (finale spoiler) end threat is pretty much the same as Light at the End / Name of the Doctor - someone wants to undo every victory the Doctor has ever had! Shock! Granted, it came out before both of those but still .

I'm curious what the overall feel is with these stories? My favorite of the bunch was probably Starlight Robbery (made me REALLY want a Dalek vs Sontaran battle , and I could listen to Will Arrowsmith second-guessing himself in EVERY story, I love his 'stereotypical nerd' thing that he manages to pull off without it sounding like an obvious stereotype.

I would like to hit a 5th doctor story next before I inevitably get J&L 8, any suggestions for a "deep cut" or personal fave? I've listened to the usual recommendations.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I just listened to 1001 Nights and it's a great twist on the "usual" 4x1-part release, and it's got Alexander Siddig in it!

Y'know, I've moused-over that one so many times and skipped picking it up mostly due to the cover. And I have no idea who that is but Wikipedia tells me he is in known for two shows and a movie I've never seen, so that explains it!

We usually agree so I'm gonna go with that suggestion, thanks!

Off topic but what the gently caress 5th Doctor, I just saw you pointing a pistol at a kaled mutant. He certainly gets his gun on in this episode (Resurrection) and now that I've said it, it's a matter of time until that YouTube video pops up again.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

That drat line shows up at least twice a year in the Monthly Range alone, and has been doing so for what seems like forever. At this point it's like the Wilhelm scream, or a Transformers-fandom "Furmanism", to the point that it totally breaks me out of the story and I can hear it coming whole CD tracks ahead-of-time.

This happened to me yesterday, actually. Giving Voyage to Venus a re-listen (Six + J&L? loving right!) and the "animal noises" that are supposed to be alien are some of the same stock animal noises from Ultima Online (which I played pretty much the entirety of my teen years). Not as common but it did pop up multiple times in that audio and it took me out of it every time.

Btw, DoctorWhat that recc for 1001 Nights was spot on. I absolutely loved that story (and the stories within the story, as it were). Boy, that audio doesn't go where you think it's going to - which is a good thing. Finished it in one day (doing yard work has its benefits, I suppose).

McGann
May 19, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

The problem with Legos is that you're paying a lot of money to build this stupid thing once and then.. what? What do you do with a lego set once its finished? Stare at it like the chimp who discovered fire? What's the loving point? Buy Minecraft if you want to play with blocks. Its cheap and doesn't clutter your apartment/house with toys that make you look like a pedophile.

I am glad I don't live in Irish Joe's world, where no one can have a hobby unless it "has a point". Y'know, beyond being enjoyable and probably stress relieving.

I fight as an amateur, don't have any intention to go Pro for a career (though I will do it as a "end goal" before I retire). I basically get injured for no purpose what-so-ever. Same thing with any amateur athlete or hobbyist for ANY ACTIVITY.

Unless you spend 100% of your time making direct contributions to society as a whole, you're essentially wasting your time and resources on "pointless activities". Except no activity is pointless, we're human beings. Every action has a point, no one does anything unless they get something positive from it . It may not be obvious as a direct cause/effect, but he's benefiting somehow from the activity/collection/whatever.

I understand your point is to piss people off and that's how you get enjoyment, but come on. At least make a better argument if you're going to pointlessly engage in discussion in this thread, or attack someone directly. I mean, poo poo, by that logic why even bother living? You're going to die and lose all your money/friends/family/etc anyway. Why waste the time/effort?

edit: I just realized that Irish Joe is basically the anti-Doctor, arguing against some of the primary 'ideals' the show tries to inspire in people.

And to make this post relevant to the show itself: I enjoyed the magical growing forest, but I recognize the stupidity of the entire concept. It's was enjoyable, and that's what matters to me.

vvvv Sorry about the effort post response to a troll, but I was a philosophy major (pointless degree btw) and this poo poo is fun for me, even if I sound heated I still would love to debate with you Irish Joe but you gotta put a little more effort into the logic behind your statements.

McGann fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 27, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

The Seventh Doctor is the best Doctor because he's always prepared for rain.

My statements don't have a solid throughline because I genuinely don't understand the appeal of Legos. Its not so much the enjoyment of it (I get that its a mindless activity after a hard day's work), but the cost/benefit ratio of it. Spending $35 dollars for a half hour of enjoyment, and then being left with the clutter of the completed lego kit, seems crazy to me. Why not take that time and money and put it towards building furniture, something people actually use and has actual value?

That's the trick, though. The value you attach to it is not the same as someone who enjoys the activity. Never mind the better argument that's already been posted (You're not paying for a single 30 minute session, but a lifetime of rebuilding and tweaking/etc), you're making the mistake of thinking the $Amount:Value is the same for you as it is for someone with an engineering streak.

Hell, I've never owned nor do I understand the appeal of Legos - but I do understand that some people get enjoyment out of it. The same as I get enjoyment out of being punched in the face (well, more so if they miss but you get the idea), but 99% of the world thinks I'm a loving loon. Plus, there are side benefits not directly related to the actual activity which add value.

I do appreciate the additional thoughts because it lets me see better where you're coming from - I agree that on the face, the cost/benefit does suck. But I also think $150 to enter a bodybuilding show is retarded (plus $200 more for a NPC card required to compete, and it expires in TWO MONTHS), but that doesn't stop people who enjoy the process. (Sorry, spent the weekend watching my sister compete in a physique competition, and it blows my mind what a rip-off/cash cow that entire sport is). But she loves it, it relieves stress and it's a hell of a lot better than what she focused on before (It ended with her in an orange jumpsuit, to give an idea).

However, I like your point about turning your creative hobby into a productive outlet - though you run the risk of ruining the hobby by making it a "job", if you can find a hobby you enjoy and not let it become "work", that's the best possible outcome right there. Some people don't want to run that risk, though - or prefer to keep it a hobby for simplicity sake, or have no interest in producing additional value for society. That's not to say it's not an investment in themselves, if it's a positive outlet and doesn't overtake higher priority things (food, shelter, mental and physical health, financial health, etc).

btw I have to agree about 7's Umbrella being the best possible accessory, except when it (spoiler for the Klein trilogy) gets him shot for having it mistaken for a gun .

McGann
May 19, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Yes, but Lego insists on "Lego bricks" instead of "Legos" because they don't want the brand to be genericised.

Seriously? As someone whose work includes a lot of marketing, I gotta disagree with them on that. It certainly hasn't hurt Kleenex, Bandaid, or Coke (if you're in the south, I guess). That's like free top of mind awareness IMO.

But I don't run a multi-million dollar corporation, either, so they win that argument no matter what.

OK on to Doctor Who! I did a re-listen of the UNIT stories while working in the yard today and I really wish we'd get more. Unfortunately with no Brigadier (even though he was only in the 'prequel' and last one, with a small part in #2), I think it's pretty unlikely we'll see any more soon.

I got halfway through Unbound: Deadline, which I've had for a while but never got into. Liking it so far - I'm a tad confused but then again I think I am supposed to be. Gonna finish it on my commute to teach tonight but so far so good.

McGann
May 19, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm going to buy Dark Eyes next. What's the general consensus? Also, is there an on going plot between the three parts?

As far as I know, and I agree with the opinion, Dark Eyes 1 is superior to Dark Eyes 2. But that's "great" versus "pretty good". There is an over-arcing plot though I think you could get through 2 without listening to 1, due to context clues/exposition. I get the sense that as we get further into the series, the ties between the "series" will be getting stronger - but it's really only hinted at now.

For those who have heard them both
Am I remembering correctly that The Master was the one who sent the funds/plans to Sally Armstrong in the Dark Eyes 1 timeline? I believe he mentions something about that when he's Dr. De'ath (still lol at that).

And yes, Dark Eyes 3 was originally listed as October. It was changed to November at some point.

edit:

TinTower posted:

And Ace. I mean, seriously, girl attacked a Dalek with a baseball bat. Because it called her small.

It's amusing that according to the audios, there's an alien world out there with a statue of Ace and her baseball bat - I guess she thought it worked pretty well. You would think they'd fix that weakness but meh.

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

The audio with the Ace statue is the third story in the second Klein trilogy.

I checked and it's Daleks Among Us, which is the most spoilerific title of all time considering the plot. Plus the statue itself makes no sense considering they're ignoring the Dalek invasion(s), historically and contemporary, why would they leave up a statue to a hero of the Dalek War? but those stories weren't the greatest. Which sucks, because I enjoy the UNIT: Dominion version of Klein (and everything to do with Dominion, actually).

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

he doesn't have to, because it's really really great. And my taste in audios is impeccable, so you can trust me on that!

It's absolutely fantastic (edit: got confused and thought it was The One Doctor but Fourth Wall is great too!)

Also I wanted to post this, since I got linked to the "Doctor's Gonna Bust a Cap" video from the Oxx thread, turns out he did a newer version where The Doctor doesn't even care if it's a gun, he's still gonna kick your rear end/kill you dead somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNuHV-iLBRw

Go to sleep, bitch!

McGann fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 30, 2014

McGann
May 19, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

No, that's The One Doctor. The Fourth Wall is something else.

I was hoping I snuck that edit in before you noticed, but I was just a *tad* slow it seems. Yeah I get those confused because they're both "funny" Six audios. Fourth Wall is great because it's basically Last Action Hero but with Six/Flip.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Coming soon from Big Finish:

Sixth Doctor: This person dares to criticize my impeccable fashion... and they have an anime avatar?! I won't stand for this irony without giving them a piece of my mind. Hand me that keyboard, Evelyn. And this time if there's any editing to do, I'll the one to click the little button.

With Colin Baker as The Doctor, Maggie Stables as Evelyn Smythe, and David Warner as Irish Joe in...The Troll

Big Finish, we love stories.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Especially something like the last scene of Doctor's Wife

Hell, let's just use the jury-rig version from The Doctor's Wife, I think the velvet rope look is pretty rad.

Though, that Rani control room is pretty awesome too (I've managed to never see Time or Mark, though I guess I'll have to fix that if Big Finish is putting out Rani stories).

McGann
May 19, 2003

I've watched Dimensions in Time (twice!), does that equal out to better or worse than Time?

The second time was to attempt to figure out what the gently caress I'd just watched - followed by 15 minutes on the internet trying to figure out how exactly it managed to be made into a special.

McGann
May 19, 2003

RodShaft posted:

Counterpoint: when showing your kids photos of your wedding, you can have stupid stories like that("it was from a tv show" *eye roll* "and Mom still married you?"), or you can just have, "here we are all lined up again. Here we are lined up in a different order"

My opinion is do both.

(I mean this during photos/reception, not during the ceremony. Don't screw around with that)

Also, congratulations.

Advice that won't matter because A) I've never been married and B) you won't read this before it happens anyway!:

Gotta agree with Rod, except I say go all out and do whatever for the ceremony too (as long as the soon-to-be-wife agrees, of course - it's really HER day, if it's like any other wedding I've been to). Having been to tons of weddings and been in a fair few, they're so loving boring for everyone in attendance - and doubly so for anyone you force to watch the video/show pictures to.

That's the honest truth, it's like vacation photos that don't include people (or really, vacation photos in general) - everyone looks/watches because they feel obligated.

So do whatever makes you happy and gently caress anyone who says otherwise.

(caveat: I don't give a rat's rear end about the religious implications of marriage, so if that's a big deal to you then obviously you should follow whatever example your particular denomination/sect agrees with)

McGann
May 19, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, that is my bad. Jacobi needs to be a part of any Multi-Master story. Hell, they could use it to explain why he ran away. And why he was a robot companion to the Doctor one time. No joke, if they referenced that, I would love it.
You've lost me with the robot companion bit, and google is no help. I'm guessing from the wiki article that it's from Scream of the Shalka?

Jacobi has played The Master & The Doctor (sorta), I just realized that, even though I listened to Deadline just last week.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

It's a reference to Chameleon, whose storyline was a bit of a mess.

Kamelion*

I've seen The King's Demon but no other stories with him in it. I know The Master gets control again, does he take on his image as well?

edit: Ok, I had to look it up and found this bit of hilarious cheese instead

quote:

[Kamelion later] had a child with the Doctor's TARDIS (PROSE: The Reproductive Cycle)

McGann
May 19, 2003

Astroman posted:

Oh, and was anyone else hoping the Doctor would just shrug, snap his fingers, and walk in the TARDIS after Clara threw away the last key?

Well, one would assume it had to be unlocked for that to happen. I mean, Clara does shut it with a snap in Day of the Doctor, so maybe it's a separate door-opening mechanism that doesn't matter if it's locked or not. Or it won't open if it's locked as a safety feature.

or: I laughed at your post and I think that was the intended reaction so I'll shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Interestingly, the only exception to this whole thing is Danny himself. Unless you count a car as a robot, he's the only person involved in that overplot that wasn't either a robot himself, or done in by one.

Which is easily explained away as just a connection the Master uses to get the Doctor to show up. I love speculating on stuff that will probably end up being way off base (or incredibly accurate, as we all found out last night re: Missy). Complete waste of time, but still just the right amount of nerdy obsession to warm my heart :allears:.

• Locked thread