Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This looks to me to be the requisite Moffat horror of the season. They're usually inoffensive at worst, if I can recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eiba posted:

So... is there anyone else who loves Capaldi in general, but is really tired of his constant putdowns of Clara?

I still haven't seen the latest episode, but yeah. I just wish they'd tone it down a little. I get the idea, he's trying to joke with his friend but he's alien and overdoes it to the point of discomfort, but it's really constant and timed poorly, because Clara is finally becoming likable and we're just being introduced to this Doctor.

Irish Joe posted:

I am routinely triggered by Doctor Who.

Shut the gently caress up, Irish Joe.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

marktheando posted:

Yeah it just comes across as being a dick for no reason, rather than Tom Baker style obliviousness.

Yeah, basically this. They're writing it like "He's just a buddy raggin on his friend about her looks when she obviously looks great and is doing it a little too much because he's an alien childman" but it just comes off as sort of mean and off-putting in a not-fun way.

e: Again, I like Capaldi's interpretation in general and it's not awful, it's just a little too much and I wish they would tone it down, just a little, because it's already almost as tired as hilarious "sorry it triggers you!" jokes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Clara jokes serve a clear purpose - they show that 12 is excessively honest, and can't help but speak his mind. They are getting a bit grating but I can't see any malicious aspect to it at all, he seems to just be thinking aloud.

A bit grating and becoming more grating is how I would describe them, yes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

No joke, someone got asked that question at a place I worked by someone on the Executive Committee during an HR session that was designed to get to know him. It's a horribly insensitive question and certainly doesn't endear one to Clara, but it's definitely not shocking that it happened and that she's still working there.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stretch goals: will hold Moffat's hand over a lighter until he records a personal apology for every use of the word "Yowza!" in Doctor Who.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

While this conversation was going on, I got to the end of Other Lives and the Doctor told Charlie she'd put on a bit of weight since he'd last seen her.

:smith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

To Tumblr!

#problematicchildrensprogramme

This is the worst shitpost in this thread, which is sort of impressive.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Great, another misogynist who wants to tear down a woman for showing drive, initiative and leadership qualities. #banbossy When will men realize that women are made of porcelain and that any criticism, no matter how slight, will shatter their fragile egos, and thus tantamount to assault?

Sorry, this is missing the obligatory reference to tumblr and includes no jokes about trigger warnings, so it cannot quite win the thread's award for the most insipid dismissal of any criticism. We'll take applications for next episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Right, that would be the battle that saucerman didn't think existed.

It's as good a thing to talk about as any, though. We've spent pages and pages discussing the design of the TARDIS interior before, it's not like discussing a particular script quirk of season 8 is particularly stupid or offensive, regardless of whether it engenders disagreement.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

Has it ever been established why The Doctor took such a liking to Earth and hangs out there more often than not? I know he protects anyone he can, but this place seems to have taken a special place in his heart.

There are a lot of reasons, really, but in my mind, he spent a lot of time there with Susan and his first companions were from there, which is why the Time Lords decided that was the choice planet to exile him. After spending as much time as he did there as Three, it just became his second home, I figure.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Earth is also pretty populous, when you consider that it has all these humans and like four or five whole civilizations worth of Silurians that keep getting blown up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ludicro posted:

Right, I'm flying out to the United States in a couple of days, and given the prospect of spending 19 hours in the air I've decided that this is the perfect time to get some Big Finish in to listen to during the trip.

So what are the goon recommendations? I've already decided that Spare Parts and Davros are a must, what else is particularly good?

Might as well pick up Storm Warning and The Chimes of Midnight. Beyond that, you're going to get some varied recommendations!

A lot of the Unbound line is pretty good. I also like (in order of my preference for them) Jubilee, The Holy Terror, Dust Breeding, Embrace the Darkness (others don't like it so much, so grain of salt), ...ish and The Harvest.

Alternatively, you could just stick with some Eight stories and follow them through, as he kind of forms his own seasons, or if there are Doctors/companions that you like, let us know and we can tell you a few from their range!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Plavski posted:

Deadline, Singularity, Jubilee, The Silver Turk, Dark Eyes, The Fires of Vulcan.

I didn't care much for Singularity. It did have some clever concepts to work from, but it dragged a little. The Fires of Vulcan was okay, though.

BioMe posted:

Try to miss the point harder, and for the love of god come up with better burns if you are going to pat yourself in the back for them.

Calm down, BioMe.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ludicro posted:

I'm a bit broke at the moment so I'll have to skip on the more expensive ones, but as its been mentioned twice I've added Jubilee to the basket along with Spare Parts and Davros. I'm also giving Storm Warning and Chimes of Midnight strong consideration.

Chimes is definitely a thread favorite and Storm Warning, though flawed, introduces you to some stuff you have to understand before listening to Chimes. What are some of your favorite serials from the show? The first 50 are the discounted ones, so you'll want to stick to those, but there's a lot of variety there.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Based on that list, I think The Holy Terror, Eye of the Scorpion and Invaders from Mars might be good points of interest from the first 50. Invaders is an homage to older sci-fi and, well, the Orson Wells drama specifically, so be forewarned it has some pretty hokey fake mafia accents. Eye takes place in ancient Egypt and has some good characters. Holy Terror is best left unexplained, in my opinion, except to say that the companion in the story, Frobisher, is a large penguin (trust me, it works).

e: only problem with The Companion Chronicles is that they are quite pricey, unfortunately.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Just out of curiosity, could you tell me in spoilers what you think needs to be introduced before listening to Chimes?

A lot of the important points in the story revolve around the fact that rescuing Charlie was specifically a problem for the timeline. That she is "supposed" to be dead is a problem the Doctor doesn't want to face any more than the inhabitants of the household. A lot of the mirroring is a bit lost, not to mention potentially confusing, without Storm Warning to back you up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BioMe posted:

No, immediately telling possibly indifferent people that they are "part of the problem" or "the enemy" has the problem where they might start believing you. Since most social issues are purely a psychological warfare, turning a person against you is exactly like scoring in your own goal. Also in this case there's the matter of equating not buying a tone deaf interpretation of Doctor Who dialogue with being part of some kind of societal problem. I think there's some kind of misframing of the issue going on.

Anyway, it's not so much how you defend your cause, it's against whom.

The one sentence that you quoted wasn't actually saying that to you, though. The "It's you" was referring purely to the fact that the conversation was continuing because you, in your disagreement, were continuing the conversation. The point LividLiquid was making, I think, is that any time "social justice" topics are brought up, the discussion takes ten times longer than it has to because people who don't want to discuss it just have to post "Ugh, why are we even talking about this?" instead of just scrolling by. I understand that you may have difficulty understanding that was his point, because your own posts read a little like some kind of Rorschach word salad ("social issues are purely a psychological warefare"???), but he was not making you out to be "the enemy."

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 15, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

If people could be reasonable and make statements like "I don't think the Doctor's comments are coming off the way Moffat intended them. They feel really mean-spirited" instead of "MISOGNY! MISOGYNY! DERP DERP DERP!" you wouldn't have this kind of push-back.

People were doing the former, although the reason people specifically use the word misogyny is because of prior stuff from Moffat, both in interview form and in his writing. It contextualizes some of his more minor offences into a larger picture. I'm sorry it is a hot button word for you and we were supposed to say "Didn't like" instead, but you're the one using the internet's most tired and useless term, SJW, so:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You're a big baby with no self awareness

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eiba posted:

God drat, I had no idea how toxic this subject would end up being. I'm not sorry for my opinions or even the way I expressed them, but I'm still sincerely sorry for how the conversation ended up making GBS threads up the thread.

It's not your fault. Irish Joe is either an insufferable prick or doing a very good imitation of one and if you ignore the poo poo-and-run tumblr jokes, the discussion was fine. You'll notice a pattern in the people who come in and say "This thread is terrible now, because of the topic that was raised:" they're the people who actively made the thread terrible, because they cannot stand that anyone can discuss these topics in literally any contest.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

surc posted:

Is there still a general doctor who and/or classic doctor who thread? I am about to take the plunge and go full chronological through classic who and would like to have a place to talk about it.

This is the general thread these days, so feel free to talk about it here! Things won't be completely spoiler free but if you note you're in the middle of a serial or something, people are pretty good about tagging stuff. Are you watching the reproductions for the missing episodes too?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Oh my god. The Doctor is just bustin' clara's balls, like all friends do with each other. Oh my god.

This is a good post which explains why that may not be as relevant as you feel it is.

Diabolik900 posted:

I agree that what you're saying is the intention, but the problem isn't an in-universe "The Doctor is too mean" problem, it's a real world "including dialogue about the main female character's appearance every episode" problem. I'm not worried about how The Doctor's insults are making Clara feel. We can disagree about whether or not this is a problem, as long as we both understand what we're disagreeing about.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Potsticker posted:

I was still enjoying Smith. The scripts were terrible and Clara needed characterization, but that was hardly Smith's fault.

Yeah, basically. I could have had two or three more years of him, especially since his run had that horrible half season stuff happen to it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tempo 119 posted:

the English/Scottish dynamic might be level enough to work in a pinch).

You know, that might actually be interesting. I know other people sort of don't like bringing too much attention to why the Doctor is talking with an accent (after all, he isn't from Scotland, he's from Gallifrey, and it can make you think too much about the TARDIS translation circuits, which we're supposed to just take on faith), but the Doctor being against a forceful authority and largely venturing through England, it might sort of work.

Irish Joe posted:

Is it any wonder why people don't take your opinions seriously when you have yet to address a single argument of the opposition? Every post you make literally dismisses everybody who disagrees with you as wrong, not for any reason, but because they can't possibly be right in your demented view of the world.

I take his opinions seriously even when I disagree with him and in fact, he is a good example of how to be brash, disagreeable and sort of an arse, but not be uncomfortably sexist at the same time! :v:

The_Doctor posted:

Can you all agree to disagree and move on, please? There were some 100 new posts overnight, and it's all the same back and forth bickering. Go and make yourself a new thread to do it in, and you can discuss it forever.

gently caress's sake.

No. It's just as good of a discussion as anything else that has taken this many posts, of which there are many.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

The basic problem- and one of the major struggles Colin's Doc had with audiences- was that they jumped straight to "strangling Peri and then trying to force her to come be a hermit with him" in the first story, and though they chalked it up to regenerative trauma, it colored the whole relationship such that they were fighting 100% of the time and there was no real picture of why they were together.

Doc 12 and Clara, however, I think have a much better balance in their relationship- he needles her and doesn't behave appropriately, but there's a better sense of his vulnerability and need for her to keep him on the good path.

I'm not sure that TV Six and Peri should be the bar we set to crawl over, though.

Mr Beens posted:

The Doctor always talks with an accent, everyone talks with an accent. It is no more strange that previous incarnations have used a "posh" english accent or a "northern" english accent.

I agree (it's equally strange to me when the German speaking submarine captain says "You speak as though you were a British gentleman" in one of Five's audios).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I always thought of regeneration as 'shuffle the deck and draw a new hand', and Twelve has just drawn an accent card that, while in the deck for a good long while, just hasn't come out before now. He's just speaking in an accent picked up off of different people than previous incarnations.

And just as an aside, I always liked Nine's explanation of his accent for the unspoken element of it. 'Lots of planets have a north' implies that at least some of them don't.

RTD did say (offscreen, obviously) that the reason that Ten has the estuary accent is because Rose was rubbing off on him, but yeah, there doesn't really need to be a reason. I do seem to recall a few lines from Capaldi along the lines of "Just like the English!" though, so they seem to be acknowledging it in the writing, for whatever reason.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What this means is we need an Irish companion after Clara so that Thirteen can sound like my older relatives and I can feel especially at home while watching Doctor Who.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

But where would all the toasters go?

They all go to hell.

You know in Utopia when they go almost the end of time and for some reason there are mad cannibal people? I bet even that far in the future, they still haven't invented a toaster that works properly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

spikenigma posted:

Can't wait to see what the thread says abo....:negative:

I knew you irritating, broken fucks would turn the slight, ignorable rash at the fringes of these threads into full blown Vasculitis.

Is no place or topic ,no matter how milquetoast, safe from your pseudo-sanctimonious masturbation?

FYI, people have largely stopped discussing the topic and it is obnoxious drive by shits with no self-awareness exactly like this one that keep bringing the topic back up, so the person you should probably be the most upset about for having to exercise your scroll wheel is yourself. :ssh:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Good news, everybody!

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/09/complete-dt-years-150914213008.html

Don't all rush off to buy it at once!

Is there any word on what the extras are? I can't foresee buying it either way, but it'll be interesting to know if there will be any new behind-the-scenes info floating around out there.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No BRCTs yet thread? For shame

You're just going to be stuck with Five. We'll never know what Six would have done with that puppet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's rubbish. I have no idea what it is but there is a 90% chance it'll be rubbish.

Yeah, I've thought of all the different ways it could resolve that I possibly can and they're at absolutely best disappointing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Forktoss posted:

I would like to discuss what good smartphone wallpapers the new Puffin eshort covers make please

Not a big fan of the Fourth Doctor one, but it's really impressive how easily recognizable the rest of them are.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Android Blues posted:

It really all comes down to the "He's my boyfriend~" line. There's almost no way you can resolve that that isn't kind of weird and cringeworthy.

Yup.

DoctorWhat posted:

heloooo new iPod wallpaper

Just as long as you steer clear of dressing any pets in the coat!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Siri, please change my wallpaper when I regenerate into Sylvester McCoy.

The Six one is actually just Sylvester McCoy with a wig on anyway.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Would that make Eight abandonware?

You can't download any wallpaper, but they did make a ringtone. :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

My cat stares at the TV anytime the theme song plays. Then looks at me like "What the Hell was that?" Every time.

My bird used to like Big Finish (I hook my computer up to the TV and play it through the TV speakers), but somewhere over the course of the run, they started to use very subtle bird noises for background stuff whenever the characters are outside, and he cries whenever he hears birds on the TV for some reason.

He loves the theme song though and will happily whistle whenever it comes on.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

So, I finally saw the damned episode. Here's my take on it:

Taken as an individual episode (minus the aforementioned complaints regarding Clara's appearance), it is actually quite good. It has some good bookends, it has a nice, Doctor Who message about how being afraid doesn't have to make you lash out or feel like you're powerless, all of the characters feel pretty full, and it's kind of quiet and intimate. It's also nice not to have a monster for once and that they didn't have to break out the rubber masks and addressed a fear lots of people have does make it a bit spooky.

Taken within the context of the show, that it's the Doctor in the bed doesn't make a lick of sense and does smack of Moffat wanting to make his companion the most important thing in the Doctor's timeline, and that's particularly aggravating. I do, however, think that Clara is portrayed well. I think Danny is written very well as someone with some pretty heavy PTSD, that he plays it with humanity and that it serves well to mirror whatever the hell identity crisis the Doctor is going through. I am getting more and more of a sense of what Capaldi is going for in terms of his potrayal and he is doing very well with it.

Basically, I wish Moffat were writing for another showrunner. His episodes are often pretty tight, but he exhausts when he does two or three a season and pulls out a few wacky ones, and his overarching plots are often disappointing. His obsessive fandom forces him to tinker with the Doctor's history, which is sometimes okay and sometimes kind of aggravating.

Ultimately, that Clara showed up and said she was just a dream and repeated his fear story to him doesn't have to be an origin story, even if he wanted it to be, and I suppose there are ways to handwave it so that Clara can somehow get back there; I've just run out of goodwill for Moffat pulling this kind of stunt.

tl;dr: It's actually a well written episode overall if you take it as a single episode, but taken within the larger context of the show, it grates once Clara finds herself under the Doctor Baby's bed.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think after hearing the even more terrible audios, Minuet in Hell takes on a certain kind of charm. It's interesting that in the other thread, they're reviewing that New York Dalek two parter, because I think both have some similar stock characters (although Minuet adds Yosemite Sam) and both really fail to understand anything about America. The amnesia plot is basically "Let's reach into the Eight lottery ball plot machine and pick one of the most common points."

My favorite thing about the whole fiasco is still the obvious padding as the Brigadier hunt-and-pecks at his keyboard and reads his reports out loud while sipping his tea. They should have had Nicholas Courtney do this at the beginning and end of every audio story. "Dear computer man over at UNIT, I learned something today..."

*sips loudly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The entire conversation between those medieval dudes in The Ribos Operation feels like it's the opening to a Monty Python sketch and they just never get to the sketch part. Key to Time is really great.

• Locked thread