Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Cautiously excited here. I hope the guns feel better than the BL2 ones, which were a bit samey on average.

Claptrap, double jumping/stomping and lazer gunz are pretty awesome features though.

Edit: And please give us bigger crit boxes like in BL1. Half the fun was exposing the skags, spiderants, Atlas troops by taking them down with a few well placed shots from a Masher. The enemies in BL2 are generally tankier and require a lot of bodyshots because of accuracy.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Polygon posted:

But most importantly, it's more fun to move around, and it's more fun to fight enemies with that newfound mobility. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel has better gunplay than any previous installment because there's more to do at any given time.

This is assisted by a less jagged gating of parts of the world than Borderlands 2 exhibited. There are fewer instances where I collided with enemies I couldn't kill while sticking to the critical path of the game. It's worth mentioning that some sidequests hid entire systems as rewards, such as an item grinder that lets you break down unwanted items for randomized new gear. This makes for a mostly easier game, but it also allows you to finish the main campaign and unlock harder, more loot-rewarding game options. It also means solo-ing the game the first time through is a reasonable option, underlined by boss fights that aren't extended damage sponges — at least in comparison to previous games.

This revitalized movement and gunplay keeps Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel interesting to play once the series' routine gear-grind has set in, and it makes moving through previously explored areas on the way to new missions much less of a chore. It's the kind of thing that seems like a complete no-brainer once you've used it, and the idea of playing another Borderlands without it is barely fathomable.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/13/6570035/borderlands-the-pre-sequel-review-360-ps3-PC

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I saw that Mashers and Eridians were back in the game, so I couldn't resist getting the game. I'll post some impressions once I get some time into it.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

The space missions own so far and ...

lol deadlift jesus

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Yeah mark me down as a fan of the verticality.

Borderlands 2 didn't impress me too much for some reason, but so far Borderlands:TPS has managed to charm me. It feels like a much better bridge between BL1 and BL2, starting off with an opening cutscene that came right out of BL1 and subsequently, blasting off to space.

The space goons are a lot of fun to fight and it feels like critical hits are more rewarding again.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

that feel when no one will gently caress me

you draw good

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

So Nisha is Mordecai 2.0? I've been playing the wrong character this whole time!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Knoxx was awesome and not just because it raised the level cap on BL1 to 61, but it gave the player access to Knoxx's vault which in true gearbox fashion was easy to get into a million times and not just the once twice for the mission. Crawmerax was decently easy once you figured out the ledges where that you can hide on. And the new rarity guns were nice to collect as well. Some of the lance soldiers were bullet sponges (especially the acid resistant ones) and Mr Shank could be a tough fight as well, but I think it is the best DLC they have done so far. I did not buy Tiny Tina's as I was burnt out of BL2 by the time it came out.

Knoxx was the ending that BL1 didn't have (though Flynt Eastwood was a pretty sweet boss). The entire zone was a blast and Atlas was hella fun to fight, especially when compared to Hyperion.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

The Secret Chamber pretty neat for finding the second ECHO, but man who knew to shoot the jump pad to supercharge it. That's literally never explained!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I'm a bit weak for the good Col. Zarpedon at level 20. Those shockpulses practically oneshot me.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I actually like how you're testing Jack's robot army that you get to fight in BL2. Actually, this game makes me want to replay BL2 now knowing the context of the Pre Sequel. It'd be great if 2K Australia can fix up the combat of BL2 to be as fun as the combat in Pre-sequel.

Say what you want about Jack, but he really gets things done.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Okay, informal poll time: is anyone interested in the possible Borderlands MMO that the ending hints at? I only ask because pretty much every mention I've seen of it so far is 'oh god, please don't do that', and I'm interested if the concept actually appeals to anyone, or if this is just the devs eyeing Destiny greedily and not paying any attention to the problems they've been having.

I'd be up for it. I hear that even with all of Destiny's issues, it's still the most played game on the PS4.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Are there still anymore BL1 savefiles - I'd like to try out that bullpup. The link at the BL2 thread seemed broken.

Being a tad underleveled in BL:TPS is actually pretty fun since the guns scale better and you get a huge XP boost. Being underleveled in BL2 was a nightmare.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Roland's still alive, they just 'killed him' because he had a scheduling conflict. You guys think that the bandits actually die when you kill them? New U Station mate.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

MooCowlian posted:

Has there been any mention at all of the BL2 crew in TPS? I haven't noticed, but I'm probably not paying full attention.

I think Lilith executed them.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Been trying out farming - just doing Red Belly for some skins. I think I'm starting to see what people enjoyed so much from BL2 out of the boss farming.

The endgame looks like it might have some issues going forward, but I'm not too worried considering that I've enjoyed the actual campaign playthrough - so the game's already been worth it.

Edit: Apparently there are ways to speed run Red Belly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdXYxCkPA48

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 25, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I've been having a lot of fun with The Pre-sequel and consequently started learning how to avoid getting downed while soloing. Rocket launchers are amazing in this game. They helped me burst down Deadlift and the Constructor boss. I used to be a bit miffed by the price tag of the ammo, but they're a great insurance option.

BL2 was a pretty frustrating game for me but I'm starting to realize I didn't enjoy it enough to be patient with it. Half way through my TVHM Presequel playthrough , I'm up for giving BL2 another shot (even after 55 hours of playtime in BL2).

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

AHungryRobot posted:

Before I used cheat engine I probably averaged around 1 blue for every 15 chests I opened. I probably saw 2 purples in all the chests I opened in a playthrough, not counting the ones you have to spend moonstone on. The grinder's a nice addition but I like the idea of finding nice things in world drops and chests fairly often too, like BL1 had.

There are definitely more green chests than red chests and those seem to give white/green items. I've gotten blues/purps from red chests fairly often. That said, with 3 greens = 1 blue, the grinder gives ok returns. Always try to grinder for your preferred weapon type of course.

And in general, normal enemies won't drop anything good - farming the 'loot cave' Guardian Hunters quest gives no real loot because it's a regular enemy. If you farm Badasses like in the real loot cave in the Titan testing facility, you'll see a bunch more blues/purples.

I saw some decent rewards in the Felicity battle - she drops some pretty great gear and there are a bunch of Dahl chests unlocked in the room behind her.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 26, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

jeeves posted:

I really, really want to like to Claptrap class (got to like level 12 now with him) but the special skill seems wildly unuseful for the most part. Maybe I really just got spoiled by Zer0's amazing skill that I used for a ton of stuff, mostly for running away when over my head and shooting from a distance.

I tried Athena to like level 6 and her skill seems really boring though, which at least Claptrap's isn't. I feel like I've just seen the same 5-6 skills repeating over and over with him, with only like half of them being somewhat useful and the being a waste of time/annoying.

I guess waste of time/annoying was the point of Claptrap though, so bravo?

You should try out Nisha. Being OP is very entertaining.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

jasius posted:

How full of hackers is the online, for those brave enough to try to play with randoms? Previous experience from all of the games was: randoms will have full tech trees and be levels far lower than they should be, kill everything making the game boring, dupe wepons they've homebrewed making the game completely pointless.

Considering we're already talking about modding the game with Gibbed for our own personal use, I'm pretty sure most folks online will have some rule modifications on.

But honestly, its fun to hack in loot games and break the RNG from time to time. Making a raid boss your bitch with OP loot is great when you don't have the patience to farm up and beat it legit.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Getting knocked into FFYL a few times isn't that big of a deal, especially in TVHM. There's a reason it's not just instant death.

It gets annoying in BL2 though because the enemies gleefully leave and you're not left with anyone to Second Wind off of. That said, getting Second Winds do have a bit of a skill factor, ie pre-throwing nades or making sure your heavy hitter is reloaded to maximize your chances.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Skandranon posted:

I don't understand this line of thinking. If you aren't willing to suffer somewhat, or invest something to accomplish a goal... why not just watch it on Twitch or Youtube? You'll see the same content, at the same level of effort. I don't see how giving yourself a +1 million damage gun and one-shotting a boss you are having trouble with is satisfying, or different from just watching someone else do it. There has to be some serious self deception going on if you feel good about cheating in this way.

So far the only character editing I've done was getting myself some moonstone and cash and leveling up my items. Of course some folks do even more, but I'm still having a decent time.

That said, if other folks hack their lowerleveled characters even more to have a smoother time through the campaign, I'm all for that. Some games are a bit tough and if it's between modifying the game or getting stuck on one spot for a really long time, I'd go with modifying the game.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Handsome Jack's skill tree got leaked:

http://www.evilsourcegaming.com/news/borderlands-the-pre-sequel-handsome-jack-skills/

Edit: Seems like a pet class with some swapping mechanics. Could be pretty neat.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 27, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Been testing out BL2 with guaranteed legendaries and it feels like a good baseline for how combat should be. Fun weapon effects and decent firepower makes the game more fun. Also, being underleveled by 2-3 levels can still kill you in BL2 even with all legendaries.

The default drop rates in BL2 really are that bad - I haven't seen a blue drop from a Badass unlike in TPS.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Thyrork posted:

I feel like giving BL2 another lick, how you doing this? I'm assuming its the script stuff and while i got that working at one point, BL2 patched pretty much the next day and ruined it again. :argh:

On the BL2 OP there's a cheatengine script that you can download. The process is a bit convoluted - you have to start the game, start the script, sync the script and then finally select your presets. I used the only legendaries one, and voila - going to a locker would give me a legendary shield or an Unkempt Harold.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Vargs posted:

This game's decent and has a few things that I greatly prefer over Borderlands 2 (grinder, Oz kit maneuverability, cryo instead of slag, good vending machines that scale to your level, and just the right amount of skill points), but overall I think BL2 was a significantly better game. I wasn't really sure at first, but I went back and played through 2 a few days ago and it solidified my opinion. Especially with the DLC, which adds so much more content.

BL2 is a bigger experience for sure, but is also slower to get into and pretty frustrating at parts.

The Presequel is a better teacher of BL2's gameplay mechanics, which made me enjoy BL2 a lot more upon replaying it.

GodFish posted:

I've been using the cheat engine tables provided earlier to try and get more (any) oranges to drop, and to test it out I tried setting it to only legendaries, but so far I've just found a whole lot of greens everywhere and a few whites.

I tried the free Moxxi drinks settings to check if it was working at all, and that worked fine, so is there some reason why the item rarity values wouldn't work?

Was it sync'd and did you change all the .001 values to 1?

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 29, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Backhand posted:

Because I have very weird morals regarding cheating in video games and am not willing to just straight up mod my profiles... are there any particularly good ways to earn badass ranks? I know doing drat near anything will gradually level them up, but I'd like to know if there's anything particularly simple or obvious I might be missing.

Two words: loot cave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRRFoShER2k

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Speaking of Halloween events, the Halloween headhunter pack is 66% off on Steam!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Wait, so we're only getting one campaign DLC???

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

To be clear, I would be fine with UVHM if it increased the amount of enemies, or introduced ultra-nasty new enemy types (like going from Stalkers to Rabid Stalkers), or even just made badasses ludicrous bullet sponges, but making every single enemy like that eliminates a whole lot of otherwise-viable play styles for no real reason other then laziness. If they actually put time and resources into BLOZ's UVHM, rather then just going :effort: and jacking up enemy HP, I'll be fine.

I think their goal was to make slag more of a thing? Otherwise you just pop the enemy's weak element and go to town vs everyone.

I do like how in BLTPS, you can't fire spam unless you set up the right conditions for it. Elemental damage was a bit too good in BL2.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

The Borderlands Presequel season pass is a bit weird. I think that for BL2, the campaign DLC was mostly ok with Tiny Tina being a cut above. I hope the one or two campaign DLC they do have is Tiny Tina quality since they don't seem to have quite as many in the pipeline.

The character DLC in BL2 were amazing, but I was never close to maxing out all of the classes and seeing their potential. Now that we're doubling the BL2 roster size, the problem is even worse. This isn't a huge complaint though - it just means that the BL games are insanely replayable.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Huh? Did more characters get announced besides Jack's body double and the Baroness?

Oh I was just thinking of TPS as an expansion to BL2, which adding together all the new characters would double the total. It might make more sense for me because I hadn't gotten super into BL2 before TPS and only really played the Mechromancer.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The community day heads were fantastic for BL2. Salvadore and Zero always look classy.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 2, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

lets burn posted:

this game is more repetitive and boring then the worst call of duty game & a classic example of a game studio selling out.

I have 4 level 50 characters and nothing to do with them, except be a loving god to these little shits. No end game content just endless repetitions.

Man how much did you play to even get 4 level 50s. I barely close enough to have one.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Never farm bosses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnAYEK9Lwss

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Dammit, Tiny Tina was right.

I did die again and again to the raid boss (that everyone seems to have an easy time with :v:)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't really agree that Lilith could have killed Jack since Jack's Vault Hunter team was right there and Lilith hanging around any longer would have turned into a battle royale that she could only have lost.

Should've brought her Double Anarchies.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

lets burn posted:

I honestly was very disappointed with the last boss. And the cliff hanger ending. No real closure other than, "EH EH? He's the bad guy now get it?" yes we loving get it.

How about tell me a real story Athena and one that's not slated for DLC.

no no no, tell me a story about raid boss! i want to hear more about raid bosses! (Tiny Tina owns)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I had a tough time against quite a few of the bosses since I was always a 2-3 levels underleveled for the first playthrough. Deadlift (lmao lazerballs of doom), Felicity (so tanky), Zarpedon (one shot Novas) and RK5 (UGH NUKES) wrecked my poo poo a bunch.

I did figure out the platforming pretty fast though :shrug:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

If we go bowling, can I request for those guard rail things? Because I can't for the life of me throw the bowling ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I have 41 hours in the game and have 1 50 and a level 14 and I still used gibbed to give me a few levels on the 50. How do you get 4 level 50s in 72 hours?

• Locked thread