Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

AirRaid posted:

They did mention at some point that there is an explanation for that in the game somewhere. Probably at/near the end.

Yeah, I assume we're gonna be around to witness first-hand Jack's face accident, too.

Everything I've seen of this game basically screams, "Borderlands 2: Only Better This Time," and I am totally on board with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Arcsquad12 posted:

What exactly was retconned from Borderlands 1 to Borderlands 2? If anything, I'm seeing more retcons for the Pre-Sequel than anything. Most of the stuff in the trailers seems to suggest that the Pre Sequel takes place when Jack was just a lowly tech scrub working for Hyperion. But Borderlands 2 already explained that Jack became the leader of Hyperion immediately after the Vault opened, because he started harvesting the Eridium and murdered the rest of the staff board. And then there's The Man Who Would be Jack quest, which detailed events even before BL1 when Jack and Angel were plotting the original Vault Hunter's expedition.

So how is Jack just a technician in the Pre Sequel if it takes place after BL1 when he took control of Hyperion?

Assuming Borderlands: PS takes place over the course of a few days like the others seem to, it very well could encapsulate Jack taking over Hyperion. His propoganda tapes in Opportunity suggest that before taking over the company, he became and "overnight trillionaire". I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes an overnight trillionaire as a result of whatever ends up going down on the moon.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

watho posted:

BL2 also retconned the fact that the bandits were a convict workforce, mutated from the radiation in the mines that got left behind on Pandora when Dahl packed up when the wildlife woke up from hibernation.

Father Wendigo posted:

Wait, what? When did they do this?

I could have sworn this wasn't a retcon? Is there anything in BL2 to contradict that origin story? Jack just appropriates the word "bandit" so he has a propaganda-flavored reason to kill the Crimson Raiders.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rhymenoserous posted:

The correct way to address this is to have Handsom Jack transmit his mind upon death into a computer virus that then infects Claptrap giving you the composite personality of Handsome Clap.

"You IDIOT. This is just a recording of me eating pretzels! Hey, who do I have to kill to get a high five?"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

highmodulus posted:

Also it was Jack's propaganda, so he could be lying. He does that a lot.

Yeah, but I expect some grain of truth in there. He definitely did a hostile takeover of Hyperion from within. While it's clear he murdered some people on his way up, he also would have still needed a way to buy out the rest of the company in order to secure his position.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CJacobs posted:

Oh god no I'm dyslexic and blind :gonk:

color blind.

If I'm being real here, I'd be okay with a somewhat shorter Borderlands campaign. I dove back into BL2 this past month after not paying attention to it for a longass time, and I seriously had forgotten about the entirety of "Toil and Trouble". The game feels like it stretches out a little bit too much toward the end.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Remember Borderlands 1 where you didn't have fast travel until like several hours in? That was real great. Why do I like these games so much again? :downs:

Also, http://steamcommunity.com/id/deadly_pudding
Please invite me to the steam group.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

orcane posted:

I'm really starting to dislike this O2 gimmick, a recharging jetpack would have done the same to restrict butt-slamming and superjumping, without the "go hunt down geysers while exploring and looting a million containers after combat" part. Also low gravity exploding quest items into lava pits or into geometry, thanks guys :(

I replayed Borderlands just a few weeks ago, after years of not playing it. And I had totally forgotten they didn't let you fast travel until the Dahl Headlands :argh:

Also no fast travel in DLC areas which were all way too large, good god.

I kind of like the O2 system, but I'm only like an hour into the game. For now, I think it's kind of cool and atmospheric. I thought the tutorial missions where you scramble around with no air were neat. The whole introductory part of the game was really fun compared to wandering around the tundra in BL2. I hope it doesn't wear thin for me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CJacobs posted:

You're about 10 minutes from the first instance of it then.

It really is borderline insulting to me. Like, certain characters like the one sidequest character who just offhandedly mentions a girl as "her ex" is fine and natural. Hammerlock does that too. That makes sense. Janey Springs mentioning how incredibly moon-lesbian she is every other quest (this is the first videogame i've heard use the word ladyboner by the way) is just crap. It's good that they tried to put more diverse characters in the game but for the majority of it, it just got handled in such a hamfisted way that the message they tried to put behind it is lost.

Here is the hard-hitting question:
Would you be just as insulted by a male character who is super stoked about scoring chicks and won't stop mentioning how incedibly moon-hetero he is?

If the answer is yes, then congratulations, you are consistent at least.

Fake edit: Please do not take that as an attack :shobon:
It's observable that a common character trope for a male character is that of the "hound dog". I'm just trying to suggest that it's okay for there to be a female equivalent.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CJacobs posted:

Like I said further up on the page, I'm not insulted because it's being shoved in my face, I'm insulted (edit: Well, I was, but not really anymore after the above posts) because I'm gay and they put gay people in their game just so they can go "look we're different we have THE GAYS!"

That's fair. I can see how it can be insulting if you are perceiving your own demographic being stereotyped for what is ostensibly a cheap laugh.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

This is a really odd game story wise. The horrible Australian accents,

...it was developed in Australia. Do you seriously have a weird grudge over a language dialect and accent?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SurrealityCheck posted:

On elemental athena you want very quick firing shock/fire weapons. The moxxi laser is basically the best thing you'll find for about 8 levels. It is absurdly good - combined with the various free maelstrom stack abilities you will easily be sitting at 300+ in multitarget fights. Mostly these will be laser weapons - but occasionally you'll find a good smg or something. Elemental launchers are good for popping larger enemies once you have the stacks up. You will want a lightning oz kit.

Man I just got that Moxxi laser. I should respec into elemental :ohdear:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Alain Post posted:

The actual armory in the Knoxx DLC was an "oh my god all this loot" moment that BL hasn't really come close to matching ever since. Also you could glitch it and run it without the time limit, which was always cool.

The treasure room at the end of Scarlett was pretty close to that moment, except I feel like out of that whole pile of chests I usually only actually found one real upgrade.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

BombiTheZombie posted:

I find it kinda funny how the BL2 crew has been completely forgotten about. BL2 was more about the original gang than it was about the new characters. Hell even the pre-sequel is more about the original cast. Were the BL2 characters really that forgettable?

Realtalk: The BL1 crew was pretty forgettable, but most of BL2 was devoted to giving them personalities and motivations beyond "first-person avatar". BL2 crew is the same way, except the PS didn't spend its whole storyline acting as a vehicle to promote them like that.

Pre-Sequel's cast is a different story because they already got characterized in BL1 and BL2. Athena and Nisha both had an entire questline in their original games devoted to laying out who they were and what they are about. Claptrap has been around since the BL1 Tutorial. Wilhelm doesn't have much backstory, but there's an expectation of seeing him take steps toward becoming a giant, mindless robot man like in BL2, and his quips during quest dialog fill in some gaps.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

lazerwolf posted:

BL3 needs some Tiny Tina as a playable character. I would love running around has her blowing stuff up. Also Torgue would be acceptable.

I want Mr. Torgue to adopt Tiny Tina. Tiny Tina Torgue Flexington, official Apprentice Most Electrifying Personality In Entertainment Combat and also Vault Hunter (r).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Rokstar posted:

I always thought it was kinda funny that Wilhelm was seen as the Great Destroyer of Cities in BL2 when Saturn was a million times tougher than he was.

It's such a missed opportunity for Wilhelm to not have been that giant gently caress-off robot, instead.
"YES THIS IS WHAT I HAVE DONE WITH MY LIFE" *jumps off that overpass to gently caress you up for 10 minutes*

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 24, 2014

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I finally got to RK5 and found out what you all were super mad about :negative:

I consistently get it down to like 40% health and then die from a nuke with nothing near me to second-wind off of. All my good weapons are lasers that can only reach it when I'm jumping from the center platform. It is a super gross gear check.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Skandranon posted:

I mainly just hated the quests he sends you on. I did like some of his lines, like "You're creepy mate" to Bosun.

Yeah, I really actually enjoyed Pickle's whole "weird Charles Dickens fanfiction" schtick. I did not enjoy doing like 3 laps around both of those maps, though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FAUXTON posted:

I like his "I WAS GOING TO LET YOU LIVE" anger with the Meriff, it's got pretty good delivery too.

Hell, half of Jack's lines had perfect delivery. "I called you an rear end in a top hat because I thought I hung up?" comes to mind. It's this weird blend of sheepishness and cojones that kind of defines the guy's dialogue in a lot of parts.

It really is a fantastic delivery. We're already way past the point where he put his daughter in an isolation chamber and started pumping her full of mysterious radioactive elements, and also the point where he built a giant orbital death laser.

He's pretty much a textbook sociopath. To his mind, he's the main character of the universe, and everybody else is just there to support his narrative. His ability to instantly dehumanize his enemies like flipping a switch, while also still justifying all of his own misdeeds to himself unironically, is indicative of his extreme narcissism and lack of empathy.

It's probably giving Burch too much credit, but the "I WAS GOING TO LET YOU LIVE" was a pretty excellent moment of Jack dropping the self-righteous act for a second, in which he reveals that he considers himself the director of this show, and therefore the central arbiter of who lives and who dies.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm on board with pretty much everything in PS except the RK5. :shobon:
You shouldn't have to cheese a mandatory boss in the first playthrough.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

lets burn posted:

If you like this game you, you probably also like those mobile "tap" games, and in-app-purchases.

Put down your clash of clans just long enough to play some borderlands the Pre Sequel The Star Warsening, until your Mom yells at you to shower and clean your room.

Let me tell ya, its time to get a job. That's the exciting part of this game. Then its time to get back to being unhappy with a sub-par shooter.

gently caress it. Let's go bowling.

We should go bowling :mad:
There is a place by my house that is like a reverse bowling alley. It's a bar that happens to have bowling lanes in the back, and it is beautiful.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

thebardyspoon posted:

I'd like them to have every manufacturer make every gun type. A Jakobs rocket launcher would basically be a giant should mounted revolver that fires huge fuckoff bullets.

I hope that in Borderlands 3, we get Jakobs shields that are just a fuckin suit of armor.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Skandranon posted:

If you are looking for a sniper, the Baroness is probably your best bet. Not sure when she is supposed to come out, but her sniper tree is probably the best sniper tree in Borderlands so far.

I'll probably buy a season pass when she comes out. I really want to like sniping in Borderlands. I had a lot of fun with Zer0 in Normal Mode.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Whipstickagostop posted:

Apart from leveling up and starting a few side-quests, it's like the game didn't save any of my progress.

I should either have an inventory full of guns I collected from RK5/the guardians on the way to Eleseer if I turned the console off, or a load of cash if I fast-traveled back to Concordia as I would have sold them (as I said, not sure which as I had been out for food and too many beers that evening).

Also RK5 is alive again, although I don't know if he respawns. I do know that the button for the pipe to Tycho's Ribs no longer works.

Did you dream it all in a drunken haze? Are you still dreaming?

WAKE UP

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Chasiubao posted:

What platform? I need a UVHM buddy on 360 :D

Also I definitely feel like a minority, but I really enjoyed TPS. There's definitely way less variety than 2, but I still had fun with it. I like cryo over slag, and the characters seem more fun overall. But then I liked Tiny Tina so my opinions are kind of bad :saddowns:

I am in your boat. I enjoyed TPS enough to justify it as my video game purchase for that month. I hope they capitalize on that Lilith arc in Borderworlds or whatever and turn her full-on antagonist, though, because drat.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Party Boat posted:

The evil CEO of Maliwan will wear a turtleneck.

:allears: Is it too soon to battle against evil space Steve Jobs? I hope it's not too soon for evil space Steve Jobs.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

lazerwolf posted:

Borderlands 3: Tiny Tina all the time.

I support a grown-up Tiny Tina as a playable character only if her character class is "Bunker Master" and she has a tree dedicated to LARPing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CJacobs posted:

Cream-of-Plenty are you okay

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel: a turd--black as obsidian and sprinkled with various circuitry

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

drat, twenty pounds?

Corrosive rounds have a lot of extra shielding so they don't eat through the magazine.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I decided to revisit Pre-Sequel last night. Maybe this was the result of some patches, but Deadlift was a lot less of a pain this time around. I only died once, and it was because there wasn't anybody available for me to Second Wind off of.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I like Borderlands 2 in general better, but I like the aerial movement and butt-stomps too much to be mad about TPS. I also like the Grinder a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Backhand posted:

Huh, there are people who used the grinder?

I always kind of saw it as "Sacrifice three items you don't want to get a fourth item you don't want."

I always used it as "slot machine that always gives you a gun". They both have similar chances of actually barfing out an upgrade for you.

• Locked thread