Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Rickety Cricket posted:

Surely new 121 hires have taken the new ATP? I might be completely off the mark, but I was under the impression that people would get hired with ATP min's, and the written would be rolled up into ground school?

Nope, all the new hires already had their writtens complete. If you didn't then you haven't gotten hired by an airline yet. The oral and check ride are the same though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Going on the second month of aerial survey and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I've pretty much been in south Texas the entire time and it's nice not having a Chicago winter to deal with. So far I've been hanging around the Galveston and Corpus Christi areas, and am currently in Corpus.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Oh hi. If you guys had been in and out of TFP and CRP over the weekend I talked to you all several times. It's been fun vectoring the itinerants in between you guys. The maps with the labels really helped us plan around you. I hope most of us were cordial, and that you didn't have to deal with ol' marble-mouth too much.

It was nice working some traffic over the weekend for once. I think I had 15 planes or more at one point on Saturday afternoon. 5 or 6 of them were survey planes.

The weather was unbelievably nice.

I'm in TFP right now, we're still working. You guys have been good to us, I haven't had any problems at all. We're almost done here but it looks like lovely weather the next couple of days then we'll have to do reflies at some point but shouldn't be here much longer. My tail number ends in 721 and you've probably talked to me at some point

Only part that's sucked about the job has been being away from the girlfriend, she's flying into corpus on Thursday for the weekend though

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
This certainly was a slow month of flying. About 3 weeks ago I was sent up to Indiana and the Midwest fall/winter weather hit right on schedule. Tomorrow I start my vacation for the first time in 2 months which is nice, but just means guaranteed no flying. I still love the job, though

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

Nah, get into aviation for the fame and the fortune!
There was a post on reddit that was interesting, saying basically if you get into airline flying because you love flying, you'll be unhappy in 5 years, but if you get into it because you like travel and will use the flight bennys, those people are the happiest.

I laughed out loud at my coworker the other day because he said he spent $250,000 going to Embry Riddle and doing the multi track, but that he felt he received "superior training" and had flown with a lot of unimpressive ATP people. Well maybe I'm unimpressive but I can probably get some remedial training since I'm not out 250k. Another spent $200,000, also went to riddle, and financed it I guess because he's 200k in debt. That must be absolutely soul crushing.

Since my job is based out of Daytona we got a lot of Riddle people and I honestly can't believe people pay for that place

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

liquidfire posted:

hey so my friend is about two weeks out from having his private, intrumental, commercial, and multi-engine license. he only has two-hundred and fifty hours and he's hoping to get into low paying cargo/ pipeline patrol right after graduating. is this feasible or do i need to smack him on the head and get him to get the instructor cert? my concern is that due to the amount of hours on his log that he'll have to spend a year or two slinging pizzas and what not to pay off his student loans and checking planes out to build up his hours before he'll even qualify for the lowest of the low pilot jobs.

Aerial survey. Some places may start hiring again in May.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Well it's almost that time to start sending out resumes and fill out an airlineapps. I've still been doing survey work and it's really picked up. I've flown about 150 hours in the last month and with summer windows coming it should stay pretty constant. I'm at about 800 and figure I'll be working here until January and that should put me at about 1500. How long do the typical classes take before getting typed and your ATP? I'm trying to figure out about what the latest class date I could get in would be before the written expires

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

Compass hired me and said call when I'm a month out from 1500 hrs for a class date. Anybody know any good aircraft I could rent dry on the cheap?
Pretty happy to get it as it was my first choice. 4 of us took the tests, 2 went home. Tough stuff.

Nice, how long ago was your interview? You might have been hired with one of my aerial survey coworkers. Little Mexican kid.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Is anyone in the Cincinnatti area able to give a high performance endorsement? I'll be upgrading to the Aztec and while I've been checked out in it the chief pilot at my company doesn't have an MEI so I wasn't able to get it then

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I was based out of Atlantic at LAS for a couple weeks they were always pretty busy but that's crazy. I doubt they charged landing fees but the fuel and ramp costs were probably pretty good.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
On Sunday I'm going to be taking over a plane that's in Canada and I have no experience with any sort of Canadian airspace experience. Anyone have anywhere that's good to start?

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

overdesigned posted:

The current hobby drone "guidelines" from the AMA/FAA are actually pretty good--don't fly above 400'AGL, don't fly within 5mi of towered airports without asking tower, don't fly beyond visual range of the operator, don't fly where failure of the drone could injure bystanders. You could make an okay case for good first-person-video equipped drones to be able to fly beyond visual range, but eh, whatever.

The problem is that, as mentioned, people don't follow them because there's no enforcement. So I don't know what the real solution is. Demanding all manufacturers refit their drones with transponders at their expense within 18 months isn't it, but neither is doing nothing.

Does the average person flying drones know what any of that means?

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I have to say, doing all this survey work has made me really complacent with NOTAMs. I can't remember the last time I went out of my way to look one up.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Rolo posted:

Serious question for the corporate guys: what would be the odds of me pulling a part 91 Learjet job (right seat) with about 800 total time and a pic type rating in the aircraft.

I obviously wouldn't have my ATP. I work for a training facility (not going into too much details) that is going to be giving me a type rating soon as a bonus. Problem is my schedule has been so inconsistent and unreliable here for the last few months that I haven't been able to schedule any flying at my CFI job to build time. It's starting to wear on me, and I don't make enough at this one job to be financially comfortable. I'm just exploring options.

Depending on how willing you are to travel I'd say pretty good. I know guys that got hired with less and didn't have a type

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Just got a conditional job offer at SKW. Now I just need these next ~150 hours to go by quickly. I'll be flying in Phoenix starting Wednesday so the flying should be good.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

I should try and get you to come to compass for my $1500 referral bonus or something.
Come to Compass. LA base. (Seattle/MSP wouldn't take long.) Good airplane. No lifers. Hooray!

A bunch of guys from my company went to Compass. I want to go home to Chicago for at least a year though

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I'm in the middle of doing mine with American Flyers

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
So do you guys use your flight benefits much? I'm hoping in this next year when I start I'll get to see a lot of international destinations. I'll have money saved up from my current job and live at home so first year pay won't be that bad. I just figure it can't be as easy as I imagine it is.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmSCCCSyfK4

Took this video when I was working in Denver. It was my first GoPro video but I think it turned out alright with minimal editing

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
7.1 in a 172 without landing is my record. For a full day I think 12.4

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Bloody hell that's brutal in a 172. How did you get that kind of endurance?

My record is 9.7 with 22 landings and 2 stops for fuel. It was one of 4 flights where I went to every airport in Colorado.

So many airports it took two lines in my logbook lol.

e:
as soon as I hear back from my CFI I should be starting CFII training next week. :toot:

I was doing survey work at 10,000ft so I'll keep the power at the bottom of the green arc and lean it out pretty well. Switched tanks every 45 minutes so when one ran dry I knew it was time to head back

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Sewer Adventure posted:

Survey work, eh? You're one of those shady Cessnas they have circling urban areas perhaps?

Right now I'm one of the shady Aztecs circling urban areas

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
After nearly a year and a half of splitting hotel rooms with other pilots I thought my move to the airlines would stop it. Then I find out Skywest has double occupancy during training.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

Or you could cough up the extra $700 or so to get some privacy...are you doing training in SLC?

I think the email they sent said it was like $1500 for the whole training. But eh, I've done it this long what's another 2 months. And yeah I picked the CRJ so I'll be in SLC

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Just passed my ATP feels like I've been in training for years.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I love Chicago controllers and the way approach runs it

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought the 200 climbed like a led balloon.

Depends on what altitudes and what time of year. Normal thrust with a light load it's a rocket

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

VOR LOC posted:

Humblebrag but I fly a 747 and I still use an ANR headset. They just kill all of the wind noise and make flying much less fatiguing. You should be able to get yours fixed but if for some reason they won't the Bose a20 is the best ANR I've ever worn and any David Clark headset is going to be bombproof.

Edit: I had a lightspeed headset long ago and had it repaired several times and their customer service was top notch. Only reason I sold it was my head was too big for it and the plastic construction just wasn't up to flying with me 80-100 hours a month.

DCs are bomb proof unless you give the, to rampers, especially in Denver.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I'm sure it could vary greatly. The school that I went to closed down the aviation program and the community college associated with our school took it over. It sounds like it's been a pain to keep it afloat and I've heard they'll be looking for a new chief pilot this next year; a job I couldn't imagine any sane person would want.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Doesn't help because I don't know what to do legally, but the couple of times I've had to do it we stayed on the localizer for a while after breaking out, maybe DH I can't remember specifically though.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
After a year of being ORD based I can count the times I've landed on 10R on one hand.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? That reminds me of the first time I left JFK as a passenger on a CRJ and having to take nearly one complete lap around the airport to get to the runway. We came off T2 and wound up departing (I think) on the runway on that end of the airport.

Like, they can't take you across EE, then either LL, A17 or B, A18/19/20 to the ramp on American's side of the turf? Is it something like ATL where some of those taxiways seem to be meant for inbound as opposed to outbound planes?

They do it because 10L/DD is pretty much the main East runway for taking off and they don't want to cross people in front of planes on the runway. Too many incursions

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

CVG-CDG was twice daily in the early 2000s. AF A340 and DL 777 in the Summer of 2004 when I flew it.

CVG had CDG, FRA, LGW, AMS, and FCO all nonstop in 2004.

That's not as random as PIT-CDG and RDU-CDG. And PHL-LHR, EWR-CDG, and ORD-CDG for that matter. They run all five. The CDG flights feed AF on the other end, but only RDU is a DL focus city. DL currently has a pants tent for RDU to the point where that flight was upgauged to a 763 this summer.

Not sure about the others, but ORD-CDG is just seasonal on Delta. I think 5 months of Delta and 7 of Air France

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Legit question in a way , I'm only with an airline 6 months but man is there a lot of bitching going on. It's not that easy of a job, you have to be on your game going in to fly but it's not the worst job in the world. Lots of captains that I fly with are pretty negative. I've done my time working poo poo jobs, construction and retail. Like really poo poo, worked a job making bridge beams where I saw 3 people hospitalised in the first 6 months. Then I get to an airline and I'm being paid pretty well and the hours are manageable but I hear an incredible amount of bitching about hours and pay. I'm in Europe so maybe it's different in the states but if your willing to do the study then this isn't a bad job at all.
Same as this thread that I lurk in mostly, a lot of negative experiences being aired.

Envoy?

Anyway life is all about perspective. A lot of pilots really lack perspective and have a large sense of entitlement. I think a lot of it has to do with a lot of pilots coming from wealthier families and never really having to work for a living. I'm with you, I've worked a 4-4 shift in a steel mill, and I know what hard lovely work really is, most pilots don't.

• Locked thread