Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Animal posted:

Newer Cessna's solve this problem by having multiple sump points, but I still suggest you move the wingtips.

If I remember correctly from when I flew one to get my private certificate, 13 sump points. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The Slaughter posted:

I can't think of a single time in 6 years of aviation all around the country that I've actually been denied flight following, even in Chicago.

I've gotten "unable" before around Philly, but my impression was that they were having extreme staffing issues at the time.

I'm torn about that never again; the guy seems indignant when he was the one who made the mistake in plotting, on the other hand, saying you can't use EFBs to get legal briefings and ADS-B data being wrong seems like the FAA trying to dodge their obligations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

aunt jemima posted:

The FAA is renaming the fixes of the IVNKA1 departure out of PBI to get rid of the Donald Trump references.

This seems like a huge pain in the rear end to pull off, so it must've been deemed a Big Problem.

Were they even an "honor" when allocated? I thought Trump had sued the airport about approach/departure paths over his golf course multiple times.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

azflyboy posted:

someone managed to put BUXOM (which sits right over a nude beach) on an approach in Portland, OR.

I want to believe that they put that fix/approach in after they noticed pilots were flying over that point anyways for some reason on their way in.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

e.pilot posted:

AOPA has a forum? How old and curmudgeony is the user base there?

Red board best board. :colbert:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The Ferret King posted:

Better get that verbal Flight Service briefing, OR ELSE!

I'm not convinced that even a verbal FS briefing would save a pilot from FAA action when violating a TFR that popped up after the briefing. Or was missed by the briefer. Seems like the FAA thinks they must take action against all TFR violations regardless of circumstances, particularly presidential TFRs.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Speaking of terrible things: Airline pilots, why is your ALPA coming out in opposition to 3rd class medical reform?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The Ferret King posted:

He's trying to justify himself landing on a closed runway, over barricades and lighted Yellow Xs, over men and equipment, then departing later from that airport on a Taxiway.

Ohhhhhhh. That's what that X meant. I thought it was for a spot landing contest; closest to the X wins.

And I'm sure there are lots of pilots who don't check NOTAMs. Most of them aren't in Congress and stupid enough to admit it to a newspaper reporter. I'm guessing he figured he'd get a pass from the agency he helps control funding for.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The Slaughter posted:

This legislation has the potential to allow medically unfit pilots unfettered access to the national airspace at altitudes up to 18,000 feet with aircraft large enough to accommodate 6 occupants, at speeds up to 250 knots, in airspace which includes commercial airline traffic carrying passengers and cargo.

That's a fun little dance ALPA's making to avoid mentioning the sport pilot certificate which has allowed "medically unfit pilots unfettered access to the national airspace" for over a decade with no meaningful difference in the accident rate. Just the sport pilot can only fly up to 10k feet with a 2-seat plane at 120 knots. I'm sure the result of any midair between an Airbus 319 and an Ercoupe will be significantly different than with a Cherokee Six.

fordan fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 28, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

And how does you saying "Oh well I'll need a medical to get groceries" have any bearing? Are you seriously trying to push the equivalence that getting groceries is the same as flying a plane? Honestly, I really didn't have a horse in this, but jesus wept, you really made the loving case that the medical is necessary down south because otherwise we get people like you going "Oh I don't need a Dr, I can fly fine" and then whoops, poo poo goes bad.

But he does have a medical. And would continue to need one in order to be a CFI even under the proposed changes. Apollo's attitude causing poo poo to go bad wouldn't have anything to do with medicals.

We have the data for over a decade of pilots flying under the sport pilot certificate. And data going further back for aircraft types that don't require medicals like gliders. And the medical doesn't really help with flight safety. There are pilots having heart attacks and strokes in flight, but they did have their medicals and were flying as private pilots. Having a medical doesn't noticeably improve flight safety over a self-certification by the pilot and drivers license.

And yeah, attaching it to a highway bill is politics, but given the fact that our Department of Transportation has sat on the recommended changes the FAA sent them over a year ago I'm not that upset about it, especially since it looks like the FAA appropriations bill is probably going to be stuck in Congress and the FAA funded by continuing resolutions. Again.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

And the CAP discussion a few pages back didn't dissuade you?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

RAH is going to be cutting flying commitments through the first half of 2016: http://www.skywriteraviation.aero/2015/07/27/the-us-pilot-shortages-first-victim-republic-airways/

Sounds like Republic was expecting Delta to give up the ERJ flying next year, only to have DL extend them through 2021.

I thought of this post while I sat in a Republic-paid Indianapolis hotel room stranded Sunday night by a cancelled flight due to no crew. With the next flight with open seats being the next morning.

As a passenger I want Republic to do well since they fly the Embraers that are so much better comfort-wise than the CRJs Air Wisconsin flies.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Two Kings posted:

As a passenger I also want my pilots to earn enough to not be worried about whether they're going to be able to pay their mortgage or medical bills.

At least Air Wisconsin pays a living wage after year 1.

I'm ok with Air Wisconsin doing well too; the CFI who trained me for my private pilot certificate is a FO there. But that's still not enough to get me to fly in the back of a CRJ.

edit: actually, just saw on FB my CFI just made captain. Still not willingly flying in the back of a CRJ though.

fordan fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 4, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

overdesigned posted:

I've always wondered what an entire airport's worth of shattered dreams looked like.

How about a major air show's worth?

(Sun 'n Fun tornado from a few years back)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Tide posted:

Is anyone at allinterested in building an aviation website/forum? Gear it towards pilots that arent doctors and dentists? I realize there are a few out there, and it's a really small population to pick from. I just think it could be done better.

Have you picked a color yet?

Is there an important distinction between doctors & dentists and other pilots that warrants having a different forum?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

xaarman posted:

So my flight school is making me get insurance for the one day of my checkride. This is dumb. How much should I expect to pay? What company? I plan to buy and cancel 24 hours later.

~2k hours ME Turbine, 700 TPIC, 1st class flight physical

You left out the most important number (not sure the insurance companies even care about hours for non-owned policies): how much hull coverage do they require you to have? Presuming that amount is well below the actual cost of the aircraft and covers their deductible only, how judgement-proof are you if/when their insurance company subrogates and sues you for the difference if the crash is due to your negligence?

You should be able to get online quotes from Avemco, AOPA or EAA. I think I pay $300 or so annually for $10k of hull, and mid-range liability coverage. Haven't seen any of them offer for periods under a year, but you may be able to get an annual policy and a refund for any unconsumed premium after you cancel unless they say the premium is fully consumed when coverage starts.

They didn't require you to have insurance for your training? No solo flight time needed to prep for the ATP?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

xaarman posted:

Minimum legal coverage. No solo time needed... 3-4 flights and a check. Insurance not needed when flying with their instructors, just with the examiner.

Sounds like my Seaplane rating but with that the DPE was the business owner (what conflict of interest?) so insurance was never required.

There is no US federal legal requirement to have insurance to fly for Part 91/GA operations. Some states impose an insurance requirement but FL isn't one of them from what I can google. Probably need to ask the FBO what insurance they are looking for before allowing you to rent. The FBOs and Clubs I've dealt with have all required a policy that would cover their deductible so they wouldn't be out any money on the aircraft in the event of an accident (and also failed to tell people they could be on the hook for the rest of the cost of the airplane if the FBO's insurance decides to subrogate).

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

I flew into PHL yesterday on a CRJ-200 by AW operating as US Airways Express but booked with an AA flight number (confused yet?) and they used the reversers. I also spent most of the flight looking at the road nav app on my phone and thinking, thanks to this thread, that 400MPH was indeed slow as balls.

It's almost like two major airlines are merging. As of Oct 17 it'll be "flew into PHL yesterday on a CRJ-200 by AW operating as American Eagle but booked with an AA flight number" so much simpler.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

You post the SAME thing every time about Inhoffe.

It's like somebody prefacing America's moon landing with the Apollo 1 fire.

The bad decisions, plural, Inhoffe made remain the same, and PBR and the proposed PBR2 isn't a moon landing. I could almost accept not pulling NOTAMs; its being a bad pilot but I'm sure he's not alone in that. But when he got surprised by a runway closure he put himself and others at risk by still landing there rather than divert, and then blew off his recklessness in public comments.

I'm a fan of PBR and PBR2; hell, I'm effectively grounded currently until I can either convince my insurance company to pay for a test the FAA wants or the third class medical goes away (or I find a LSA for rent nearby). But it doesn't absolve Inhoffe and I've not heard of any contrition on his part for his mistake.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

PT6A posted:

Ah, I misread the post right above mine; it was referring to a test that the FAA wanted done, not the actual cost of the medical itself. That makes more sense (and is really lovely; you guys should totally get some single-payer healthcare, it's good poo poo :v:).

Yeah, I made the mistake of going to my normal doctor for a regular physical before going to my AME for a flight physical and my normal doc decided "hey, let's do an ECG" in which a small irregularity was seen.

End result is that after some testing my new cardiologist and personal doctor believe the minor abnormality seen in my ECG isn't an actual problem. Unfortunately for what was seen in the ECG the FAA requires a nuclear stress test with specific durations and heart rates to issue a medical which wasn't the test my cardiologist ordered initially (did a simpler echo stress test that didn't hit the duration the FAA requires).

Insurance is (understandably) not interested in paying for another test when the previous test showed there isn't really an issue. So I'm stuck with the options of a) limiting myself to the exercise of the sport pilot certificate since I was never denied a medical, b) paying for the nuclear stress test out of pocket, c) hoping the cardiologist can convince the insurance company to cover it, or d) waiting for the 3rd class medical requirement to go away either via legislation or the DOT finally releasing the proposal the FAA sent them at the behest of AOPA & EAA.

Wasn't expecting to have a cardiologist for at least another decade. :yotj:

Sadly no one I'm aware of around here rents LSAs, so I'll keep working on changing my insurance company's mind and pushing for 3rd class medical reform, and if it's still an issue in December, sign up to put lots of money into my medical Flexible Spending Account for 2016 and pay for the test. Alternatively the Revo trike I lust after is Light Sport, but that's definitely not the cheap solution.

fordan fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 21, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

helno posted:

If you are a handy person I have seen a few really nice homebrew trikes. Not entirely sure how amateur built fits into LSA's.

Most use Suzuki motors with a reduction gearbox rather than the much more expensive Rotax-912/914.

I am basically the opposite of a handy person. I wouldn't recommend flying any aircraft I helped build. Or even anything beyond simple maintenance.

And homebrew trikes would probably be E-LSA vs S-LSA (Experimental vs Special) weight-shift control if too heavy for the Part 103 rules (254 pounds) or has more than 1 seat.

If I wanted to go cheap(er) I'd probably look at the REV by Evolution Trikes, which is a fairly cheap Part 103 ultralight. http://www.evolutiontrikes.com/rev.htm

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

So the medical reform in the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 has been watered down a fair bit. With the new language:

• Pilots would still need to get a 3rd class medical at least once and it needs to have been in the past 10 years.
  • Pilots would need to complete an online medical education course once every 2 years.
  • Pilots would need to see a personal physician once every 4 years, log it in their logbooks and provide the doctor’s name and address and the date of the exam when they take the online medical course.
  • Pilots who have had a heart condition involving surgery, mental, or neurological issues would be required to go through the special issuance process, but only once.

Which is great for the aging private pilot who wants to keep flying, less great for new potential pilots. Apparently this is what was needed to make ALPA happy.

fordan fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 2, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

Can you source where you got the 'keep ALPA' happy part?

I was basing it off of

quote:

“We’ve worked with the leaders of ALPA and addressed their concerns,” said Coon. “We’ve been told that they now believe that third class medical reform does not pose a safety risk.”

from http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/September/25/AOPA-says-medical-reform-is-closer-than-ever-before although rereading it they apparently objected to the amendment that apparently had the same provisions in it previously. Although that may have just been about attaching it to a highways bill.

edit:

Hauldren Collider posted:

What about people who get denied medicals for bullshit reasons like ADD?

I'm not completely convinced ADD is a bullshit reason, although people struggling after being misdiagnosed as a kid is. And would probably have to go through the one-time SI route to prove it.

fordan fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 2, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Animal posted:

That sucks. I wonder how old he was, and if over 60, if it will forever vanish all ideas of extending to age 67.

57 with a double bypass in his history.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/american-airlines-captain-who-died-flight-idd-57-year-old-n439066

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

"But no one else is suing us! (yet)" doesn't seem the strongest of refutations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

How does this picture come from him having "mistakenly turned onto a service road thinking it was a taxiway and the plane's left wing clipped a fence?"

edit: ok, I can see it, I thought there was road/taxiway behind him, but it's a road along the fence. Got too close wingtip hit the fence and turned him into the fence. Was thrown off since it looks like that's an entry point to the airport he crashed head-first into.

fordan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 12, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

overdesigned posted:

I need to vent about this because I've had too much free time to think about it lately. (for reference, I'm a military student jet pilot who is [was] almost done with the jet training pipeline)

About 3 weeks ago I got a medical grounding because I had a heart arrhythmia event. Never had any previous issues, all my previous ECG's have been perfect, it's not life-threatening, and it didn't happen in the jet, but it was definitely making me feel lovely enough that I was not going to get back in the jet for the second flight of the day.

Ugh. But there's is a path forward; you just get to take a detour.

Captain Apollo posted:

Go get a civilian class 3 medical RIGHT NOW in case the exemption passes.

Too late unless he lies. Let's not reopen that can of worms.

Also, he said "again" so he may have already had one. And a military jet pilot leaving the military is probably looking more at options that involved 1st class medicals.

But 1st class medicals are possible with heart surgery; just need a clean bill of health from the cardiologist afterwards and lots of status updates.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I cannot say that I'm sorry to see USAir go.

Bad news then; have you looked at the board of directors of America West American Airlines?

Animal posted:

I am, they were always fantastic to me as a nonrev, upgrading me whenever possible and generally being super sweet.

As an "elite" flyer I'm sorry to see the free upgrades US Airways offered disappear as well.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The Ferret King posted:

And actually, there can be two aircraft on the runway in some cases:

How often does this happen at airports not named Oshkosh (excluding formation flights)?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

But we've had the technology since the late 70's!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

I was going to congratulate you for using "better" rather than "cheaper" since it's generally fairly hard to make solo ownership cheaper than renting without putting hours on the plane that most private pilots don't reach. There's a lot of benefits with ownership, but "saving money" often isn't one of them. If you've managed to make that work, kudos.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Toronto's in Harbour City Centre Airport had their expansion plans denied by the new minister of Transport.

As a passenger, flying Porter into Billy Bishop is pretty awesome, though I can understand not really wanting lots of jet traffic into an airport that is right next to lakefront downtown Toronto. Is the restriction on specific types of aircraft, or aircraft noise levels? I know Porter pushes how quiet their Q400s are.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Given it cleared the Senate by unanimous consent and has 152 cosponsors in the House (what a perfect number and a bit over 1/3 of the House), it seems likely to pass there, although the real danger is running out of time.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Minus Pants posted:

Has anyone had to deal with the FAA after going on blood pressure meds? I'm well under the FAA BP limit, but my personal doc thinks BP meds would be a good idea. I'm wondering how much paperwork and testing I'll be in for, and if any of those services that claim to speed up approval are worth it.

Check it on the AOPA med list. Should be a AME-issued medical if you're under the FAA limits.

See http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Medical/Medical-Certification-and-Conditions/Heart-and-Circulatory-System/Hypertension &
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/C-CACIHypertension.pdf

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

Do anything possible to not get on BP meds if you can avoid it.

Hypertension drugs are really a non-deal for a medical as long as your blood pressure responds to treatment. They don't even have to ask anyone, they just issue it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I'm not sure what happened but the private VPN market imploded over the last three months, $10 will buy you two years VPN access. I recently bought a lifetime subscription from a reputable* VPN provider for $55.

*not headquartered in :ussr:

The use of botnets as VPN endpoints? I usually build a VPN tunnel back to my home when doing stuff on an open wifi that isn't already protected by SSL, but then I'm a networking geek.

Anyone play with Foreflight's logbook features? My subscription's lapsed while I wait to see where the PBR2 ends up vs me paying for medical tests out of pocket so I can't play with it myself atm. I have Log Ten Pro but haven't signed up for their annoying subscription plan.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

e.pilot posted:

What is the deal with the FAA implementing these half baked ideas without any prior warning or reasoning?

The ideas come from Congress. They have a hardon for "secure" pilot certificates which have anti-forgery technology, which the student certificate/medical didn't have. Congress also mandated that pilots certificates have photos on them in legislation passed in both 2004 and 2012; not sure how the FAA is still ignoring that.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Polarized sunglasses will also make it harder to spot glints of sunlight from other aircraft making spotting traffic more problematic. Polarized is great for driving and other outdoor activities but not great for aviation (and steadily getting less great for driving with so many screens in cars these days.)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Tide posted:

Ugh. Our seats on our American Airlines CLT to DEN flight are right next to the shitter. I mean, right behind us. I really want to upgrade us to the main cabin but it would split us up and sammich me right between two other people.

Well, someone has to sit there; did you not have the opportunity to choose seats when booking? http://seatguru.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

PT6A posted:

Please tell me this makes it more likely I'll be on an A320 when I've got to fly AC, instead of being jammed onto a flying pencil...

Brazil makes awesome regional jets for passengers, unlike Canada. :colbert:

• Locked thread