Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Tide posted:

Meant to post this last night:
What has two thumbs and successfully completed their solo x/c yesterday?

This guy.

And the wife surprised me with the Clarity Aloft "in ear" headset.

A drat good day.

Neat! I'm scheduled to do the same thing this Friday. Pretty excited, and a little nervous about flight plan/radio stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Arcella posted:

Neat! I'm scheduled to do the same thing this Friday. Pretty excited, and a little nervous about flight plan/radio stuff.

Completed my first cross-country solo, Midland, TX (MAF) to Carlsbad (CNM) and back! Was really easy, especially since I flew the same route with my instructor a month or so ago. Starting to feel like an actual pilot, rather than some joker in the left seat.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Yeah, mostly out of MAF, although we have another plane at Midland Airpark (MDD) that I've flown a couple times. I like flying in and out of class C for training because it forces you to talk to ATC more, and I'm still new enough that busy uncontrolled airports make me nervous.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Also don't worry too much about messing up, I transposed frequency/transponder numbers last night and they'll just repeat themselves so you can repeat it back correctly.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

e.pilot posted:

If any of you goons are ever in Colorado and want to go to KLXV, the highest airport in North America, I'd be happy to take you.

They even give you a little certificate.

This is on my GA bucket list.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Can anyone recommend a handheld scanner? I'd like to listen to local air traffic now and again.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Planes just want to fly! :buddy:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

KodiakRS posted:

Compass Hijinks

Can't you also use the heading indicator, assuming you calibrated it in a non-compass-messing-with area?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm not sure whether to be surprised or relieved that SWA gets their own airport socked away in the SE corner so they may continue driving off runways and taxiways without loving all the rest of the less irresponsible airlines. It's like having a kids table for holiday family gatherings so they stop bothering all the grownups.

SWA already flies out of Love Field, which is to the east a bit.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Looked it up because I was curious, I soloed at about 14 hours. Just in the pattern at a towered airport, but still.

I'm hoping to finish prepping for my checkride by the end of this month, any tips? I'm studying the oral exam standards book, which a lot easier now that school's out.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

hobbesmaster posted:

Everyone read the NTSB report if you haven't, every member of that flight crew was perfect and equally responsible for saving every life onboard.

:pilot:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Nuggan posted:

Did my first solo today! 3 touch and go landings, + 1 full stop.

On my 2nd landing I made a call I never really expected:

"Uh, tower, be advised, I've spotted some heavy turtle activity on runway 13 just past my touchdown point."

Giant turtles just slowly making their way across the runway. I almost hit one, flipped my plane over, and died from turtles.

Congrats! One of my local airports has a NOTAM to watch for prairie dogs :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

e.pilot posted:

Hey if either of you guys aren't feeling too well during the flight *awkwardly shuffling through wallet for certificate* I'm a student pilot and I'll be in the back.

"I've seen Executive Decision so I know I can do it."

• Locked thread