Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
My stuff for the OP:

KNCA, multiengine/rotorcraft/powered lift/instrument rated, V-22 copilot

In the osprey you can pitch for airspeed, or power for airspeed, or pitch for altitude, or power for altitude :v: And sometimes both. The flight director can be hilarious to watch during conversions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

quote:

The only catch is that I tie one of your hands behind your back. Which hand would you rather have available?

Trim the yoke, right arm for throttle.

My good sense tells me not to trim into a stall but you're offering a lot of money.

Just do whatever works and do it smoothly. Don't hit the ground and don't hit lead. Golden rules to live by.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

A little mid afternoon pit stop. Got to do my first missed approach in actual weather followed by a PAR to mins in a fog bank. Talk about something that will make your hands shake a little. Don't remember what the mins were on it but the hairs on the back of my neck start standing up when you hit below 200 feet on the radio altitude. Thank god for approach lighting.

Then put it in a hover right on the numbers :cool:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
shut up and talk about planes

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 26, 2014

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I did one of those fly in things when I was a teenager and knew nothing about flying. There were about 20 light civils at my home airport (KDAN-- Danville Regional in southern Virginia). Knowing what I know now I would've never stepped into that plane. We didn't have any close calls but we didn't follow any standard pattern. He turned down the radio while we were flying around. He kind of flew however and wherever he wanted. He didn't give me any sort of pre flight briefing. Like nothing about lookout doctrine, egress, anything.

Sort of scary now that I think about it, but yeah don't stop flying. Other than CFIT or midair (which are ALWAYS pilot flying error), all emergency situations are recoverable or avoidable/recoverable.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

CraZy GrinGo posted:

Make sure you do at least one auto!

remember on the cyclic-- less is more

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Finally flew my first good ILS under the hood today, dead center the whole way down. :3:

Backed it up by flying 2 more with no more than one dot deflection.

God that felt good, I think my brain has finally put the pieces together.

DLIDS, Half your groundspeed for descent rate, no more than one heading bug width of turn, and less is more!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Half your groundspeed ... times 10 for approximate descent rate. Or else you'll end up way high...
I'll bite, what's DLIDS?

Oh, and my mental 'get ready for an approach' checklist is "Do your AABBCCs."

A- Atis
A- ATC (Ask for approach)
B- Build the approach
B- Brief the approach
C- Checklist
C- Call - any further calls required, switching to tower, etc.

Has always worked well for me. :)

DLIDS for ILS/LOC approaches:

D-DME (if required by the approach/for your SA)
L-Localizer (tune it up)
I- Inbound course
D-Display- set your nav source to your VOR/ILS (as req)
S-speeds- approach speeds for your approach (as req)

Its a good check to turn around in your head, esp if you aren't on vectors and you're using other navigation sources, frequencies, or courses, like on a procedure turn or arcing approach.

My approach checklist is CNPANTSBC. Doesn't quite roll off your tongues like ABC does but you won't miss a thing, I guarantee it

C-Climb check. Use it if you're doing multiple practice approaches
N- Navaids-
P-Plates- get the other guy to flip your plates to the right page
A- ATIS- duh
N-NOTAMS- if you're a real baller check your notams that you preflighted (obv if its your first time to the airport)
T- Trouble Tee's- any special instructions on climb out, gradients, low close in obstacles, etc-- have your copilot brief it
S- speeds-- approach speeds if needed
B- brief it
C- approach checks

That one runs pretty well but I'm having a hard time with in the V-22. While a capable instrument platform a lot of the menus are run on separate screens-- one of the primary flight displays and one on the crew's flight display, and on different subpages of those. Its pretty difficult to set up a flow. I passed my instrument check pretty easily but it definitely helps to have an extra set of eyes on things.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

overdesigned posted:

Got selected to fly jets at NAS Meridian today. A good day.

Dude, congrats!

For more info, he's basically going to fly this:

and from that he selects either the Harrier, Prowler, or F-18 or (lol) the F35 (if that ever happens lol)

Pretty desired and pretty hard to get for marine pilots out of flight school

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Richlove posted:

My main concerns are communicating over the radio (have not flown at a towered airport yet) and practicing pattern work at other nearby airports in the sim to better prepare myself for future flights.

:shepspends:

Get on a live ATC website and listen to a busy ground, tower, and approach freq. Find a callsign and become that guy. First practice at listening for the callsign while you do something like read or play games. Then practice on listening to what your bro daddy says. Then talk over him and say what he will say. Most people that are nervous on radios are because of nerves; it is essentially public speaking.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The marines are still flying hueys, cobras, and harriers. They'd probably fly skyraiders if they burned jet fuel.

In our defense all the Huey's we fly are brand new. 95% of the Cobras we fly are brand new. The C130's are brand new. Osprey, new. Only old poo poo is really really old and thats the jets.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

xaarman posted:

Didn't we have some discussion before where I was shocked about these statements.

A 3 hour delay is a "I'm too fatigued to fly" call? I mean if it was the 4th day and the 3rd leg and crap sleep all 3 nights then yeah, but taken at face value... this normal in the civilian world?

Yeah usmc pilot here and obviously if it was a larger crew/maintenance/pax/weather issue here we'd call it but we work on a 12 hour crew day. The idea of calling it after 3 hours is pretty...different. Now I'll admit I may need a cup of coffee and a moment to recage my brain for flying after dealing with BS but when it comes down to it, there is no hard limit preventing you from flying.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I have 0.5 hours of flight time in the last sixty days :cry:/and we stop flying for the calendar year tomorrow.

How does one get 0.5 hours of flight time? Hover power assurance check
:v: I turned on the auto pilot and sat there for half an hour :(

Another MV-22 guy showed up in GiP, I'll see if I can get him to post here sometime. I'm sure he's lurking this thread.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

chrisgt posted:

One of the instructors at my school is selling his personal Cessna 150, and my instructor has been hired to fly it to Florida (from Maine).
His insurance covers use as a training plane, so my instructor asked if I wanted to go for the ride (HELL YES). I'll get to log the whole trip as training time, he'll get to log it all as dual instruction. We both win. I'll basically get about 20 free hours of training time in my logbook for the price of an Amtrak ticket from FL to ME and an awesome experience. I'm wicked excited. This makes my checkbook to checkride ratio a lot less stressful :)

I can't decide what's worse-- a ride in a 150 that far, or the ride in the amtrak back.

Just kidding, the ride in the 150 will be awesome. I love those things. The ride in the amtrak though? ....

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

fordan posted:

What an awesome suggestion to give a student pilot. Especially one about to fly with his instructor. "The Internet told me not to worry about the W&B."

Calculate a legit told for what you have and then calculate separates for what contingencies you can have-- less/more luggage, less/more fuel, etc etc.

Ask any helicopter pilot that has flown on a hot day with pax. Theyll do it dozens of times. Best part is that whoever you're usually carrying will tell you how much they (or their squad/platoon) weigh and then bring five more people and a mortar tube and wonder why we have to replan everything or kick those guys off.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

chrisgt posted:

Well we're delivering a plane that neither of us own, so it's probably best if we don't crash it. I used to work delivering boats; my crew and I were always wicked careful on those trips. It's kinda embarrassing crashing someone else's thing. Even if insurance does cover it...
Startup and taxi allowance is like 0.5 gallons or something, and you probably don't even burn that when you stop, take a piss, grab fuel and take off again.

Anyway, a friend of mine gave me his old camera to replace my broken POS, so I'll definitely take pics of the trip and stuff.

You should set up some stop action camera somewhere. I've always wanted to try that while flying.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Commissioned military pilot here. I can answer whatever questions you got. I went through the navy's flight school program (I'm a marine). The WO program I'm sure is great but I love the poo poo out of my job and so does everyone I work with.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Post your rank.

1stLt. Definitely not the voice of experience in much but I can definitely confirm the comment that you do much more than fly. (And most of it is behind a desk)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I hate the phrase crash landing. I mean, have some faith in me if I lose the engine(s).

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
http://youtu.be/Co7PgMcjdeM

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Those approaches were my savior during flight school, Ferret! We did them so often that you practically had them memorized. Not to mention that you Corpus/Valley controllers are total grandpas.

My best graded flights in flight school no poo poo happened in local patterns.

Except that goddamn LOC BC 35 at Harlingen. That one can go away. We had a requirement to do a back course every few flights. Winds never favor that one and the next closest is College Station. So when you guys were able to get it we'd come howling in with a tail wind to a circle maneuver. Not fun.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

overdesigned posted:

The one time I had to do a back-course in the simulator was the only time I've had to execute a missed approach for full-scale localizer deflection. They're unnatural.

The king air doesn't have back sensing for localizers so you had to (unnaturally I feel) dial in the front course....

Dial in the back course and the CDI deflections are reversed. Worlds easiest to get the below mif on headwork/SA and instrument procedures!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
cross post from AI

Heres a random video dump of ones I took this week on a det.

We did a lot of expeditionary refueling which in an of itself is the most boring poo poo ever but it means you get to hang around cool helicopters that don't have big fuel tanks like H-1's. Here's a video of one entering our pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1oJSwHdlR8
Here he is coming in for the pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLKySpsZRA0
I did a fly over of some podunk raceway in my home town. South Boston Speedway if anyone is interested in seeing how podunk it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGXeG6ZkGg
Cool thing is my parents got some video from the ground of it. My dads a huge aviation nerd so it was extra awesome for him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAYvZDGjIlI
Bonus points, I had some photography marines in the back to snap a bunch of sweet photos.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
That fuel contractor is gonna be rich!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

xaarman posted:

On a semi related note...

This staff deployment is not helping :\

Sweet. In my community not even the WTI Lieutenant Colonel types have that many hours. There goes that dream.

Shoulda joined the goddamn Air Force.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Xaarman is in the Air Force

Me. I shoulda.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Flying you don't really need to be good at anything other than a firm outside to instrument scan.

And a lot of other things. Look at charts on skyvector and find a busier class c and hit up the radio. Id highly suggest north whiting field (knse) or navy corpus (kngp) or corpus Intl (kcrp) if you can get ATC feeds. Those towers and the associated approach frequency (where ferret king works!) have an extremely high number of student pilots flying there, sounding dumb and making mistakes you can learn from!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Are sectionals good for an entire year?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Rolo posted:

Am I late to the CAP is stupid chat?

I watched a high ranking whatever officer chop up a pair of cowl intake plugs while doing a run up, which was funny. Dude didn't even take the big red "TAKE THIS OFF" thing off the plane. It would've hosed the engine if the prop didn't happen to pull it out.

Countless tie down ropes chopped up in front of me.

A constant joke was "hey let's see how far they can taxi before they have oil pressure." Basically going 1800 rpm while starting.

Helped salvage a plane after they put it down in a field from water contamination. They pulled like a gallon of water out of the tank because it didn't have a fuel cap.

I did cap as a kid and had a good time, got to fly some. But only now thinking back on the flights I realize how many times I probably could've died. But that's GA in general I think.

CAP is just this: a bunch of too fat for the military red necks playing dress up that average a few hours a gear in brand new Cessnas. And their kids.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Poise posted:

You are a young flight student, back off.

Who did CAP, so knows about it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
My CAP chapter was a little of both. There were serious guys in there that were mostly all reservists or commercial pilots that volunteered and took no part in the military instruction stuff. To the point that I never recognized them when I did see them around our "squadron" (local FBO).

The cadet/military instruction stuff was all run by the parents of some of the senior kids. I was lured into the program by the promise of free airplane rides and at the time was interested in getting my pilots license (when I reached the age). I stayed because the summer camps were pretty cool: survival training, volunteer at airshows, and other just general camp things that taught land navigation, etc. We lived near Fort Pickett in Virginia so we almost always had some integration with the Army, usually involving H-60 or H-47 rides which are crack to a kid interested in military aviation.

The cadet program offers some benefits. Reaching certain ranks, for example cadet second lieutenant (the Mitchell award), allows entrance into the air force at enlisted rank E-3 as opposed to E-1. I got the Mitchell award and I personally think it helped me get into college. That's anecdotal of course. A tl;dr description is its after hours NJROTC for nerds and homeschooled kids. Thankfully i was the former and not the latter.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I have only tried a mini and I like it. I am not suctioning it at all however. I'll either use my kneeboard strap to hold it down or set it on the console. I have noticed that other guys with the regular large sized ipad have a harder time stowing it places that aren't in their bags.

Speaking of bags-- I currently use a backpack but am considering getting a messenger bag. I don't carry too much though-- kneeboard, checklist, notebook, bottle of water and some food. I flight pubs in a separate little hand bag.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

You didn't even get one of our friendlier controllers.

Did he sound irritated? He's always irritated. He retires in a month.

He should have retired years ago.

Is that marbles?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
So as someone who's only ever flown turbo props, how does this reversing work on a straight turbine? Educate me.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I always lived with buddies in flight school and we'd play coop games a lot so whoever wasn't playing would ask the guys who were. Just get something to occupy your mind. Juggling, bouncing a ball. The smartest guy I knew had his wife ask him questions while he played guitar hero.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Tbh though the cockpit of a plane is definitely not the place to have ADD

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

I went in for my first medical, I applied for 1st class since I'm career oriented and there's no point in going through all the training if I can't pass a 1st class. It was deferred there at the doctor's office because I had taken an ADD medicine in high school (I'd been off it for several years by this point). I'm not sure if my case was kicked all the way to Oklahoma City or just to the regional medical guy in NYC (named Michael Jordan, btw) - either way it was literally months between my AME visit and my first contact from the FAA. They sent a big packet detailing a number of tests I would have to go through, administered by a psychologist, to the tune of a couple thousand dollars. The guy who prescribed the ADD meds was able to recommend someone, I went to see her and did the tests over 2 days. I'll detail as many of the tests as I can remember:

- One involved a computer, where random letters would pop on the screen, and you had to click the mouse for every letter except X and Z (just for example). So letters would pop up: A (click) Q (click) F (click) H (click) (L) click and you'd get into this rhythm, click click click, and all of a sudden X would pop up and *click*. gently caress. Everytime that happened I could feel my medical slipping away.
- Another test involved her dictating some ridiculously detailed story ("Johnny is 6 ft 6 inches tall and woke up at 8:42 am on Wednesday morning, he went to the store and bought a small decaf coffee for $1.92 he then caught the 9:13 number 2 bus to his office in Finkle street where he works as a taxidermist on the 8th floor...") and then afterward she would ask me to recall as many details of the story as I could.
- Word association. She would say some word and I would have to say the first thing that popped into my head, or how it made me feel, something like that
- A 'puzzle' (like the picture except only a few rings, scattered throughout all 3 pillars) where you'd have to get all rings in order on one pillar in the smallest amount of moves
- A rorschach test, this one actually made me the most uncomfortable. Tell me this doesn't look like a vagina?
- A TON of 300 question multiple choice personality tests - those were unbearable

There's definitely some more tests I've probably blocked from my memory. The whole process was really stressful and completely unnecessary, cause I knew I was fine. She crunched numbers and data for about a week before preparing her report for the FAA saying she saw no signs of ADD. Her report was sent back to Dr. Michael Jordan in NYC and my special issuance came in the mail a few weeks later. Even though it was 1st class, the terms of the SI were that the medical was no good after 12 months, so rather than regress to a 2nd or 3rd class I had to go in for another exam, which went off without a hitch.

What sucked the most out of all this was that her office was right under the approach/departure path of DCA so every few minutes an airplane would roar past and I wanted to press my face to the window and yell
"AIRPLANE!! :downsbravo: " and I was afraid she would notice my eyes flicking to the window every so often and think "man this kid can't even focus on this conversation for 5 minutes"

I forget what this test battery is but I went through the same thing after being knocked cold in a boxing match. It's terrible.

vessbot posted:

https://vimeo.com/8511733

717 recovering from an inverted attitude due to wake turbulence encounter (planned, as part of flight test) incorrectly and losing 9000 feet in the process.

Argh....

E: the wake encounter was planned, not the inverted attitude...

So watching that, he immediately chops power and looks like he pulls flaps too. He didn't completely pull through the bottom but he got drat close. Either way, I've always learned roll level and pull to the nearest horizon. Not the farthest like he did haha

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 4, 2015

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Who was sitting right seat? This is exactly something CRM is meant to fix.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Predictability and also, just like an airplane, it creates a common site picture for whatever landing environment you're in. This is especially important in doing confined area landings-- having distance checkpoints you use each time, every time for altitude and speed reference.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Who is red stripe?

Our call sign over seas was "Swifty." Even better it was for our squadrons V-22s. I'd always check in as T Swifty flight of however many 22s and no one would get it. And now that we're back stateside we've lost that sweet call sign :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I landed so hard once I made a Marine in the back puke. I got made fun of for a minute by the other pilot and then we forgot!

You learn way more from bad landings or bad flights then you do from good ones.

• Locked thread