Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
lol wow nick is loving desperate to get rid of this show. theres absolutely no loving way they will be ever producing anything avatar related again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

hiddenriverninja posted:

I've never seen any EVA thing. Am I (not) a bad anime fan?

You should watch it.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Sithsaber posted:

The final movie hasn't come out yet. Should I go back and watch the anime or should I avoid it and rely on the superior reboot? (I only saw one episode of FMA before I binge watched FMAB) Is it true that the old movies already retconned the first ending? Can I watch things out of order and rely on dbz boom-pow/ oooh_aaaah retard continuity?

You should watch the series, then End of Eva, and then the Rebuilds after that. It is much, much better than Korra, god people in this thread are stupid.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Jackard posted:

Watch the first two reboot movies and ignore everything that comes after

I can't even.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Sithsaber posted:

I just watched episode three and now completely regret not just sticking with the rebuild movies.

There's a Eva thread that I'm sure would love to hear your opinions, check it out, but you can't really read the thread yet because it's full of spoilers.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Meelo was annoying. Especially with the food thing. Hopefully next episode is better.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Probably Magic posted:

Hating an episode of a show aimed at kids because it focuses on the kiddie characters instead of focusing nonstop on the politics because this is a Very Serious Show For Adults is pretty laughable to me, but whatever. Meelo's an rear end in a top hat, but that's pretty much acknowledged and it's basically his thing.

A cute episode, though it was weirdly filler considering how plot-driven the entirety of season 3 and this season has been so far, which probably means the next episode will be a drama-fueled two-parter. This episode will probably seem better if (when) the entire season comes out on DVD and is seen back-to-back methinks as a breather.

im very aware this show is for children but meelo was still very annoying this episode. it wasnt even all the kids it was pretty much just him, the voice acting was not good and neither were his lines.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I liked the episode, the mech fight was cool and bringing back Asami's dad could be a good way to tie this season more into the other ones/really show how characters have changed. Conversation with Kuvira was a bit lame, but next episode looks to be exciting.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Hauldren Collider posted:

Because it's interesting.

Wrong.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
varrick and bolin had some funny scenes in this ep, so that was chill.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
lmao at wuu saying the mako was raised by a pack of cops in the woods,

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
this episode is pretty retarded,

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
wow this animation is terrible.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
drat season 1 and 2 were bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
where is asami from originally? she sorta seems like shes probably the jew if it esisted in the avatar univerese.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
lol. looking back, including back to the last second where i just paused the episode playing in another tab, i think that actually all the seasons have been bad.

edit: except maybe 3

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
dude vaatu has a black person voice.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
i hope nick ruins this show as much as possible.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
a korra version of eva episodes 25 and 26 would be chill.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The next five episodes are going to be high-octane as gently caress and blow our minds. This will be a good season, y'all.

quoting this for when it turns out wrong.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
People that are huge fans of this show but are snobbish about anime are incredibly hilarious.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Season Three was good. Everything else has been mediocre at the very best.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
The filler episodes didn't hurt ATLA, they are what made it feel like a full world. If there's anything Korra could have used, especially in season 1, was filler episodes. Republic City was desperate for some fleshing out.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
good episode, very good fight.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Darth Walrus posted:

Kinda wish Zhu Li's betrayal had had a little more boom. I mean, with all the work she did to get into Kuvira's good graces, surely she could come up with something more spectacular than 'steal a component from the superweapon I'm building'?

Notice that she was hoping that the weapon would be abandoned and blown up that one time, so I guess that was her full plan, it just got messed up.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
ATLA I feel, did what it set out to do, which was be a quality kids adventure show.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
whenever im watching this show i cant help myself from saying outloud things like "stupid bitch," "dumb fag," etc, in reaction to the characteres and the things they say.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

MonsterEnvy posted:

But didn't she turn the Radio off before she said that.

She turned it off to tell the grunt to get their location then turned it on to say that. Also I didn't really get a sense she was remorseful about doing it, what are people getting that from?

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Kuvira obviously was hiring bandits dumbasses. The first time you see her this season when she fights a bunch one of them almost says "Kuvira oh poo poo we didn't know this was your train sorry" but she puts metal around his mouth. Sorry, that the children's show villain isn't as complex as you want it.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

ImpAtom posted:

Uh, he says "we didn't know that was your train" in that Kuvira was fighting her way across the kingdom, not "she hired us."

It was obviously implied that they knew her, thus the conclusion can be drawn that she had hired them to gently caress poo poo up. Hth.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Any attempt to go "hey can you actually moderate the Korra thread" gets met with "lol dumb babys don't want people telling them to grow up and stop watching cartoons."

Shut up I've been probated multiple times for posts in this thread your just a big pathetic obsessive baby.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
The mech was okay. Wasn't very well animated, cg for all the robots was a bit iffy. Season 4 was okay, season 3 was the best season by far though, just really well paced. Korra and Asami wasn't foreshadowed or set up that well, but it's the beginning of their romance so whatever it still makes sense. I wish the show and more time and skill to flesh out the characters more, more scenes like the dinner between Asami Mako and Korra, things where the characters could just talk and develop in a natural way, though that scene is not the best example since it wasn't very well written. Whatever, it is a children's show after all, and that always makes it a bit frusturating for me, but I still really enjoy the world of avatar and ATLA was a great thing to have in my childhood.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Hauldren Collider posted:

Somebody posted a list of good animes earlier in the thread. It included the only two animes i've ever seen, gurren lagann and dragonball z. Both were probably the stupidest loving tv series ever to be inflicted on me, so if they're up there on the list of animes that are good, it seems to me that what you have on your hands is a steaming poo poo pile.

It's really funny to me that people say this kind of stuff in the Elemental Kung Fu children's show thread that features fartbending.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood I guess is sorta similar to Avatar in that it's elemental combat and a children's show, but while in fma:b the combat felt like the weakest part, in Korra that was a huge draw. However, fma:b had an excellent cast of likeable characters plus an engrossing world that felt real. For example, whenever they travelled in that show they showed the characters catching a train, little touches like that really helped make a nice world. All this made a more satisfying show then Korra, imo, even if the animation wasn't as good and there was silly anime humour, but that's something that Korra has too. I would defitenly recommend it to anyone wanting something similar to Avatar.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Oh yeah and there's not any creepy anime stuff in it either, never feels fan servicey or misogynist, if that's one of the issues or preconceptions you have with anime at large.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Scissorfighter posted:

My main issue/preconception with anime is that (from what I've seen) it doesn't seem to put much stock in making sense. They want high concept magic and robots and outlandish, flamboyant characters but they don't put in the work to earn it. They'll break their own established laws of physics (and time and space) to make a slapstick joke. Avatar/Korra did that "humorous teleporting" poo poo a few times, but not enough really turn me off since it had so much thought put into world building to ground the rest of it. If it's strictly a comedy, I don't mind it going looney tunes, but when there's life and death stakes... not for me.

I get what you mean by the slapstick stuff, it does happen to a degree in fmab but it doesn't annoy me that much. However, a ton of anime, probably the vast majority, doesn't do that kind of stuff at all, it really only seems to be a part of certain era and genre of anime.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
And yeah the last 15 episodes are insanely good. That's how you do a finale.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

thexerox123 posted:

That stuff annoyed me a little in Brotherhood, just because it was such a different style from the humor in the first anime, and I watched them back-to-back. But I think most of that stuff is also in the first 8-9 episodes.

Even that, though, probably isn't what Scissorfighter exactly has in mind re: slapstick. It's not like the slapstick of the father in Bleach, for instance.

(I have seriously watched so much anime in a short time, after not really watching any for most of my life. What have I become. Haha)

Yeah I only started watching anime 2 years ago. When I was a kid I was too embarrassed to watch it, including ATLA actually, because as far as I knew it was an anime. I would occasionally watch it while sitting right in front of the tv so I could switch the channel if anyone came by lol.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

icantfindaname posted:

I don't think FMAB's animation is worse than Korra's at all. At least, Korra is not noticeably better to me. FMAB is more anime looking, but that's about the only difference

Yeah they're not that much different I suppose, maybe I meant more the choreography and how the fights go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Make the Korra offsite so I can post about how insanely good Eva is.

• Locked thread