Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How well did Korra do in the ratings? I know internet is a weirder thing, but there might be some numbers for season 1-3. Considering all the controversy (in regards to s1 ending getting them moved to Friday night then season 3 getting them internet only), probably not going to be a new series after this one, but I'm curious if there is any chance. Hoping against hope, as they say, or something like that.

Edit:

Scissorfighter posted:

I watched an episode of this. They talked for a while about how there was no magic in this universe and it was all science. Then they had a wizard duel with a chimera. I'm not immediately seeing the similarities, tbh.
Everything in FMA is science IF the pseudo-science of alchemy was real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

computer parts posted:

and eventually our world, for the first anime .

That's anime filler. You got to read the manga or see Brotherhood for the truth.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Scissorfighter posted:

My main issue/preconception with anime is that (from what I've seen) it doesn't seem to put much stock in making sense. They want high concept magic and robots and outlandish, flamboyant characters but they don't put in the work to earn it. They'll break their own established laws of physics (and time and space) to make a slapstick joke. Avatar/Korra did that "humorous teleporting" poo poo a few times, but not enough really turn me off since it had so much thought put into world building to ground the rest of it. If it's strictly a comedy, I don't mind it going looney tunes, but when there's life and death stakes... not for me.

I'm curious what you mean by "humorous teleporting."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Misandrist Wytch posted:

Yeah I only started watching anime 2 years ago. When I was a kid I was too embarrassed to watch it, including ATLA actually, because as far as I knew it was an anime. I would occasionally watch it while sitting right in front of the tv so I could switch the channel if anyone came by lol.

I won't lie, that sounds adorable.

Scissorfighter posted:

Like, literally instantly moving from location to location for humorous effect. In the first episode of FMA, the main character teleports to a crowd then picks people up like sticks and tosses them around because he's called short.

You mean that thing where they "fwip" back in a flurry of lines to another part of the screen?

Covok
May 27, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

In retrospect, the literal concentration camps were a narrative mistake.

It was kind of weird when they brought them up out of the blue along with the "throwing all non-earth benders in it" shtick. It's why the talk between Korra and Kuvira was off to me. Like, she's anime-Hitler, Korra, she doesn't need to be reasoned and understood.

Covok
May 27, 2013

demota posted:

With this thread closing soon, is there any other place on the internet where people can talk about Korra without it degenerating into idiocy about Makorra or how cool Asian people are?

How do you know the thread is closing soon?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm a newcomer to the thread so I didn't see that.

demota posted:

With this thread closing soon, is there any other place on the internet where people can talk about Korra without it degenerating into idiocy about Makorra or how cool Asian people are?

I think you might get stuck mostly just chatting with friends about the series mostly. Any dedicated place is likely to have the above.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Eva is what you get when you try to write people coming out of depression and literally can't do it because you yourself are horribly depressed

I mean that is literally what happened as the writer did suffer from depression. You can see in his later works that he does accomplish stories like that perhaps saying that he has gotten better at dealing with his own depression. (Hopefully, as I hope he, as I hope for most people, are healthy and well).

The thing that disappoints me the most about this series is that, after ATLA, it was set to be a franchise, but I got a feeling this was the death of that franchise. At least on TV.

Covok
May 27, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

EVA's more about Anno realizing that crushing on anime waifus is pathetic and then wanting to kill himself. The first part is important, it's not like the dude is just depressed out of the blue

I think pretty much all of Gainax's shows besides EVA are better than it

Not that I disagree, but I'm curious which ones you feel are better. Gainax shows are kind of all over the place...besides the fact they are all about growing up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Eej posted:

Panty and Stocking is Gainax's best show, amazing in both English and Japanese and there ain't anyone growing up in it.

I never watched that one because it didn't look that good. It just seemed juvenile. I suppose you disagree?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

S1: revolutionary communism v conservatism
S2: spiritual atavism v globalised capitalism
S3: anarchism v authoritarianism
S4: fascism v isolationism

It turns out the answer is always in the middle, AKA liberal democracy.

S3 and 4 feel like the best because they give the fairest showing to their concepts - Zaheer, the new airbenders and Suyin are all honest anarchists, Kuvira is about as sympathetic a dictator as you can get. By contrast both Amon and Unalaq are liars and hypocrites and it's difficult to know what they actually stand for.

Kuvira is the most sympathetic even with the rounding up of non-earth benders and dissenters into camps?

Covok
May 27, 2013

There was once an belief called catharsis that said it was good to get your emotions out in fiction. It would say that getting their rage out on fiction would be to their benefit in life.

Catharsis isn't psychologically true at all and may actually make it all worse, but...uh...yeah.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Or they'll just sit on it and let it make DVD sales and the occasional rerun. Nick has a ridiculous number of IPs they've allowed to languish and fade away, I'm not sure why you think Avatar would be any different.

Yeah, it's not at all uncommon to not milk an IP for ever and ever. Sure, nerdy IPs tend to get milked endlessly, but Nick hasn't really had an IP like that before so there is no telling if they'll try to make a franchise out of it. Chances are it probably is done TV-wise. If not, cool. If so, well, it had a good run.

Covok
May 27, 2013

SirKibbles posted:

This still kind of annoys me,still hanging on to Vaatu being corrupted in some way coming from the comics.

You mean you're not a fan of having a spirit of good and spirit of evil? I guess it really doesn't fit with the series. Probably would have been better a spirit of order and chaos. Both of those are more morally grey due to both having down sides.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think too many complaints have been made about the Korrsami ending and not nearly enough with how bad the pairing of Varric and Zhu Li was. Seriously, when they fell on top of each other -- what a cliched way to hint at a romance --, I went "are we really doing this?" It honestly felt like it was just there to appease shippers. It got a little better as the season went on, but, honestly, in the last few seasons did you ever think, even for a moment, that the two had any feelings for each other? Doubt it. Varric was her boss and she was his assistant. The fact she followed him to jail was, in my opinion, part of the same joke as Varric getting a lavish jail cell. On a related point, maybe it's just the fiction I read, but why can't a man and woman be together on screen alot and not have a romantic feelings bloom between them? It might be selection bias and there are exceptions, but it feels like it's rare to see a man and woman spend a lot of time together and have the relationship be completely platonic without either side getting feelings for one another. Am I just seeing a pattern that isn't there?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Speaking of Ming-Hua, just curious, was she born with no arms or lost them in life? Not that it matters, but I'm wondering if her unique waterbending was to overcome congenitally being armless or losing her arms during life. Personally, I'm thinking it's the former.

Covok
May 27, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Behind-the-scenes info says the former, but that contradicts the Phantom Limb explanation, which I love, so I pretend that it's the latter since nothing in the show proper says otherwise.

Season 3 villains were the best villains. Am I right? I just wished Kuvira could have matched them. It, honestly, felt like a step down going from their crew to Kuvira even with her Metal Gear Colossus.

Covok
May 27, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

I just noticed that the Avatar cycle order is totally messed up in that third row.

They don't all need to be standing in cycle order...unless they do need to.

You know what I strangely want? One of those books they used to make that tells "lore" (I had that word in this context, but can't think of another) for the series. One of those books that explains how the world works and talks about the stuff they don't show on camera.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ufarn posted:

I'm getting the vibe that everyone not from the Fire Nation seems to die at a really young age.

Aang was a sort-of exception, since his years in the ice still counted towards his age and natural death.

If they ever make a sequel of some sort to the universe, I hope Korra's statue looks like Katara.

Wasn't Avatar Kyoshi like over 100 years old or something? She was an Earthbender.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ufarn posted:

She lived a bit, but is that old by Avatar standards? Given that her visage and statue *looks* young, I presume she died at an early age. Or maybe firebenders just have awful genes.

It's implied Avatars live a normal human lifespan and Kyoshi was special for living past that (I think). It might be one of those "your soul is only as old as you really are" things. That, or they didn't think it through or didn't want to have them all be old, grey dudes(ettes).

Covok
May 27, 2013

pentyne posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the reverse, that Avatars will like a long life, 100+, and Aang died young because his hibernation caught up with him.

Roku and Sozin were born around the same time, right? They both aged at the same rate it seemed in the flashback episode.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Watching the third season now and and this Zaheer guy owns. His face is drawn with thicker lines than other characters or something and it ends up looking really funny combined with his voice.

edit: Actually all these Red Lotus dudes own, they should become the new Team Avatar

They are arguably the best villains of the series and you are currently watching the best season. Just wait till the end, I thought it was great finish to the season.

Ambivalent posted:

Plus we need to still find out what happened to Sokka, who Firelord Izumi's mom is... All sorts of things!

While I don't know if we really need a season for it, I'm still saying: that book on the lore should be made. Nerds like me eat that poo poo up.

Since they continued ATLA in comic form, does anyone know if LoK is getting the same treatment. I'm an avid reader of the former and I would definitely become an avid reader of the later.

Edit:

Eej posted:

I can't stand Zaheer's voice for some reason I think it's because it doesn't suit his face at all.

This made me look up his actor and now I do feel there is some resemblance between the two.

I'm not saying they are twins or brothers, but I do feel they share some features.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 27, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Ugh this makes no sense, why is the entire city falling into chaos because the evil monarch was deposed? I could sort of see them making some point against anarchism if they destroyed the presumably democratically elected government in Republic City, but all they did was kill the queen and destroy the wall separating the poors from the upper classes. Is the point supposed to be that poor people are animals that cannot control themselves when not walled into ghettos?

I think that, considering how much of a difference there was between the classes, the level of poverty they were forced to suffer as noblemen lavished in riches, and how badly the current Queen was in her rule, that the plebeians had grown tired of the old government and had deeply repressed desires of vengeance. With the queen dead -- as a result, the government in complete disarray especially considering she had no immediate heir --, they decided now was the time to act on their feelings: a now or never situation. After all, if they really had those feelings, now was, honestly, the best time to act on them if they were going to act on them.

Also, when they rescue the airbenders earlier, I love Bumi interrupting and going "technically, that is one of her rights as Monarch...I mean, I'm just saying she isn't technically doing anything illegal or out-of-line." Bringing that up because I got reminded of it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

That makes sense, though I kind of have trouble seeing it as a bad thing. It seemed like the show was trying to make the point that what Zaheer did was wrong because it caused the revolts/etc that occurred afterwards, rather than him just hastening the inevitable.

I never said it "just" or that Zaheer was "right," I was saying that income inequality was why the people began rioting: they were mad and they say this as their chance to loot the palace and be rich. The show was trying to paint both sides as bad: the monarchy for being abusive, exploitative, and supporting inequality and Zaheer for being an anarchist, militant, and causing chaos and something I can't say without spoiling poo poo. The show's writer have a preference for liberal, democratic government so that's really what they try to push in the show though they do at times point how slow and inefficient democracy can be at times.

Covok
May 27, 2013

In regards to the structure of the Earth Kingdom before the fall, it's worth noting that the kingdom was incapable of protecting some of its provinces from bandits. There was basically lawlessness in some provinces. Comparatively, the Queen and her city were very lavish and comfortable. This suggests that the poor leadership of the Earth Queen also included consolidating resources in the capital meaning that the overall structure of the Kingdom was probably very weak.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rosalind posted:

Favorite memory from LoK threads: Someone chewed me out for "sexualizing a kids' show" because I posted about Korrasami during book 3. I didn't post anything sexual even. I just said, "Hey these two totally are acting like they're attracted to each other."

Here's some more fan art:

It's funny how pointing out a homo/bisexual couple is sexualizing a kid's show while pointing out a hetro couple would not illicit such a response.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rosalind posted:

I do not have any strong feelings or visible emotions regarding this fan art.

They better hope they don't find Koh the face stealer since neither would know about him and the trick to beating him. Korra wouldn't even have hrt past lives to jump in and warn her. It'd be an immediate face theft: Koh: 3, Avatar: 0.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Man, people be real serious 'bout a children show right now.

Anyone here buy that Legend of Korra game because Platinum studios made it? I decided to load it up again today because I had some time and I cannot how tedious it is. The main stuff is fine, but boss fights feel like crap from a fan community: just sacks of hp with no interesting patterns. When I died to that mecha tank after hitting it for literally at least 20 minutes, I went "gently caress this!" and quit. Similar or different experiences for anyone else?

Covok
May 27, 2013

What is the BEST form of bending there is?

Personally, I think Earthbending is where it's at. You can build poo poo, mine for poo poo, travel faster, hit hard, you're almost always around your element, etctera. It's the bees knees, man.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oh God, even though that's the most ineffective ways to blood bend, it would be the most visually awesome. Imagine someone, cut off from water, tearing a bit of their flesh and shooting ice blood at people.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hama was a waterbending master who unlocked the deepest, darkest secret of waterbending. It shouldn't be surprising how strong she was.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What was with the whole "only 1 in 100 earthbenders can metalbend" thing from season 3? They redact that in season 4 with Toph claiming it's the result of bad teachers, but what was with that?

Covok
May 27, 2013

computer parts posted:

Presumably to give a reason why they could still keep Earthbenders in jail.

Make suspended jail cells out of wood for earthbenders and metal for firebender cells? In ATLA, didn't they keep Toph in a wooden cage...somehow (shouldn't she be able to Earthbend from the ground regardless?)

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

Didn't Su kind of imply that was a common misconception even in season 3 and that more of them than that could do it if they just had the right mindset, or something?

She might have. It's been a while. If so, then nevermind. It's my mistake.

ImpAtom posted:

Everyone theoretically being able to do it doesn't mean everyone can actually do it. Everyone can theoretically learn to draw or theoretically learn to program or whatever but that doesn't mean they'll actually learn to do it.

Fair point.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

All I know is that bad parenting must be embedded loving deep into the Bei Fong genes. Lin really dodged a bullet there by being too unlovable to impregnate.

Sorry Bolin! Your kids have about a 1 in 3 chance of being the next Hitler.

Bolin is not a Bei Fong, much to his own disappointment, so he's probably safe from inheriting the bad parent and Hitler gene.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Given that she too was a villain I would say the odds are greater than 1/3

When was Opal a villain? I don't remember her being on the side of bad at any time. She got a little aggressive when they held her family hostage, but that's just being human.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Would we be pissed enough to tweet at the network that we'd never watch their network again, though?

We aren't Naruto fans, Toshimo. Give us some credit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I am incapable of imaging Lin in a relationship.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think its worth noting in this ATLA vs Korra debate that the shows had different themes and motiffs that may be influencing opinions. For example, and this is a superficial one, ATLA was more spiritual and medieval wuxia while Korra was more about spirituality struggle to exist with the advancement of technology and was less wuxia to reflect benders, to a degree, being replaced by technology. There are, of course, deeper differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's rather fitting for a show with reincarnation as a central theme for this thread to come full circle as well. It almost brings a tear to my eye.

• Locked thread