Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
It's good that they didn't give a bunch of characters the same haircut because that would be confusing as hell.

Also the trailer music always rocks. I have the trailers from 2 and 3 on my iPod, but I need a version of 4 without anybody talking over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Wildeyes posted:

Sure, but Kai and the airbending kids are all three years older, so it's not like the cast is devoid of characters for the original target demographic to latch onto.

I'm really curious to see the effect of the time skip on Bolin (Will he be less of a goofball with a couple years of maturity?) but especially on the airbending kids. We can more or less predict how Jinora will be as a young teen, but what about Ikki and Meelo?

Kai has a real Batman Beyond vibe with the airsuit. Why do they torment me? HALF OF YOU HAVE MURDERED PARENTS. SOMEONE BECOME BATMAN ALREADY. Basically anyone in Republic City except Korra and Bolin could do it. (And Lin)

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

I feel like Wu has one more episode, max, because I am a killjoy. Maybe two? Look, as long as Mako isn't pursuing Korra or Asami, I'm happy.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

God, I can't imagine what a relief it must be to the writers to finally be able to script Korra losing a straight-up fight without first inventing a separate poison gas, arcane curse, sleep deficit or crick in the neck each and every time.

She lost a lot of fights in season 1. At this point she shouldn't really lose fights. She's the Avatar. She defeated the spiritual manifestation of chaos and destruction; she should be able to take down some metalbender with a cool outfit.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Wouldn't Korra just punching Kuvira in the face until she was defeated just be another form of fascism? It's the same thing Kuvira would do to Korra if she felt it was necessary.

It's hard to argue with Kuvira's desire to rule the earth kingdom when there aren't exactly a lot of other good options. The rest of the world is ruled by absolute monarchs whose position is chosen based on who came out of who's vagina. Reiko is the only exception to the rule, and season 2 REALLY skimmed over how he got his power, and now he's doing whatever he wants with it, including putting another despot on the throne of the earth kingdom, again on the basis of blood relations to the last despot, then picking his advisers for him. No one from the earth kingdom weighed in on the decision that we've seen. Democracy isn't a thing in their world that they talk about. It's more or less might-makes-right, or sounding like you'd be a good leader makes you a good leader, or being the child of a good leader makes you a good leader, even though we've seen plenty of examples of that not actually being true. So for Kuvira to come in and say, "Based on the last three years, I'm seem to be the only one who genuinely cares about the Earth Kingdom, and is willing to put in the hard work to keep society running, so gently caress it, it's mine," is not at all an unreasonable thing to do. Take away the whole prison camp thing and her being overbearing and evil about capturing villages and she's got a pretty good case for leadership. The show practically requires her to overreach, because if she didn't, there would be no reason for Korra to fight her.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, why don't they just make the Avatar the ruler of the world? With the Avatar cycle, you basically never have any question regarding the succession, since new Avatars are literally reincarnated with the memories and experience of their past selves. The Avatar is also able to tap into mystical, reality-altering powers and commune with forces from beyond the physical plane of existence. Why not simply worship the Avatar as the living incarnation of Divine power that they literally, actually are, and instate him or her as their immortal God-King? In fact, I am surprised that an "Avatar cult" had not already arisen and established itself in the world long ago!

Korra should seize power by force, and force everyone to kow-tow to her will!!

Yes, those 16-year breaks (plus all the training time) really worked out for Tibetan government and certainly no ministers murdered the reincarnated children before they could reach adulthood so the ministers could keep their jobs ruling the country as regents.
(see: Dalai Lamas 8-12)

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Sato posted:

Not agreeing with the whole "Avatar as ruler" thing, but wouldn't the Avatar state kick in at moments of mortal peril like with Aang?

... and then if they succeed in killing him/her, end of cycle! Which is possible.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

Plus, well, all they've got to go on is that the next Avatar will come from the bending style in the cycle. As Roku demonstrated, even that can lead to it taking the better part of two decades to find the next; Korra's probably more of an outlier in terms of how soon she was found.

They knew who Roku was; they just decided to hold to tradition and not tell him or begin his training until he was 16. They were supposed to do that with Aang, but they didn't wait, which is why Aang freaked out and flew away, and wasn't there when they needed him. Roku also spent like a decade training in the other elements, which now makes him look like a pretty slow learner, considering Aang got some level of mastery of all four elements by 13 and Korra mastered everything but air before she was 16.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Deakul posted:

I wouldn't even say that they fixed Korra that quick, she's been on this journey of self discovery for what 3 years?

So like real life, Korra's recovery wasn't straight uphill. There were a lot of stops and starts and a lot of parts where she thought she was better but she'd really just hit a wall and she needed something to happen to her to get past it. I'm surprised they spent so long on it, what with the guy at the AV Club complaining about it taking too long and cutting down on the action. I thought it was a pretty dynamic depiction of PTSD.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Oracle posted:

He also mentions that she weighs a lot more than she looks like she would and says something like she weighs 2.5 Zhu Li's which is... odd considering if the unit of measurement was named after her it'd be like, her weight.

But either way, muscle weighs more than fat and she looks skinny as hell so Zhu Li is built like a brick shithouse under that business suit.

That was the one moment in the entire Avatar canon of genuine romantic development and I'm really proud of the writers for that. Every single other working relationship they've pushed on us has seemed really forced.

Possible spoiler: 1:58 of the official trailer makes it seem like Zhu Li goes back to Varrick (and Korra's) side, but that could just be very tight editing of two different scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCEFMY4TWGw&t=118s

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 5, 2014

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Rosalind posted:

I think this was a weak point in the writing for sure. The writers could have had Korra going back to Su with something with more purpose. Like what if Kuvira instead said, "Oh yes you're right. You know let me draw up a peace treaty proposal and you can deliver it to Su for me. If she agrees to it, we won't attack." Obviously, the terms would never work but Korra doesn't know that. She thinks Kuvira is the hero that saved her dad. Then Korra gets there and Su has left to go kill Kuvira and obviously the peace treaty won't be happening. Same overall plot, but Korra is handled better.

This coming episode I wouldn't be surprised if we actually see a fight between Korra and Su. Korra isn't convinced that Kuvira is evil at all. She doesn't know about the camps or the death beam or anything else. So Su attempting to assassinate a world leader that saved her father's life is not going to go over well with Korra. I bet Korra actually stops Su from killing Kuvira, the two fight, and Korra subdues Su. It's only after that that Korra learns that Kuvira is actually like 50 Hitlers or whatever she is on the scale.

Korra has only seen the good stuff that Kuvira has done; even Bolin, the idiot that he is, didn't pick up on the prison camps. Korra agreeing with Kuvira makes a lot of sense in the last episode, especially because of the way that Su said, "Oh just take care of this problem for us with your superpowers. Nothing ever goes wrong with that." Aang had to deal with one of those assholes in early season 2. He was only 12 and he figured out that maybe just turning on the Avatar state and seeing what happens was a super bad idea.

Honestly I think Su dropped the ball on this one. She should have argued early that Zaofu wasn't part of the Earth Kingdom, and therefore wouldn't need to be part of any future kingdom/empire, and had a long history of legitimate, peaceful, independent rule. Kuvira might have respected that before she went all nutso, and the world leaders certainly would have stood behind Su if she talked about it with them.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

VanSandman posted:

When do new episodes usually get put up online?

Usually by noon EST. Right now the Korra page is down entirely at Nick.com

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

So Korra's overcome her physical hindrance, now she just has to heal mentally. I'm glad they didn't make that poison removal a complete 100% recovery for Korra.

Yeah like real life PTSD. I am very impressed with this show. I am NOT impressed with Korra's fighting up to the Avatar state. She was basically just hurling elements at her. She should be a more creative fighter than that.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Sydin posted:

So Baatar Jr has got one hell of an inferiority complex going on. First his parents, and now he's all pissy with Varrick because he got called on not being at Varrick's level when it comes to science. I wonder how long before he starts to feel inadequate in comparison to Kuvira, too?

I don't think Kuvira is remotely interested in Baatar Jr. It's just a political alignment for her. She will dump him if she needs to:

Prediction: Zhu Li starts working for Baatar, who is a dick to her, he drops that Varrick killed himself over Zhu Li leaving him, Zhu Li realizes what she lost and reunites with Varrick.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Jaramin posted:

They made the Avatar state too powerful and now they're paying the price, using this stupid PTSD poo poo to make an enemy that should be completely clowned a "threat." It's really annoying that Korra didn't even get one hit on Kuvira without relying on her magic superstate, which she then immediately fell out of because "messy hair triggers bad memories."

Korra can be fought in the Avatar state. Aang was almost killed by Azula. Or if Kuvira really wanted to get rid of Korra, all she needed to do was get the jump on her like the Red Lotus did, or I don't know, shoot her with her metal darts. Plus her having a nuclear bomb soon is gonna make Korra's fighting abilities somewhat irrelevant.

Final episode:
Korra: "Hey Kuvira, I got my act together, I'm gonna kick your rear end!"
Kuvira: "I have a weapon capable of destroying cities instantaneously and I will activate it if you fight me. And I can make more of them."
Korra: "oh poo poo"

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Ah, if only the members of the Manhattan Project were such loveable scamps. Only Richard Feinman was.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Caros posted:

The whole point of that combat was to show that despite getting the metal out of herself, Korra simply is not ready to jump back into the world. You see the exact same thing in the previous episode in her conversations with Kuvira, she has absolutely no confidence in herself at the moment. It wasn't so much bravado that has her eschewing the avatar state for the first chunk of her battle, but fear that she'll either Kill Kuvira, freak out like she did, or possibly even die during it.

Part of it was experience. She didn't want to fight because she didn't want Zaofu and Kuvira's army to go to war. She put herself out there as the Avatar to make peace, but neither side was listening to each other. That's why she had to pull a Roku on Kuvira, which almost worked. Using fighting as a last resort shows a wise Korra than we've ever seen.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I really would have liked to see Korra try to make something out of Kuvira saying "this is about equality" by coming back with at least a somewhat decent counterpoint, like "what's "equal" about using military force to make an independent city-state share its resources?" instead of letting Opal go (completely understandably given that her family is being held hostage) "No gently caress you this is about power." Oh well, I've long accepted that I'm never going to get everything I want from this show. It makes up for it by giving me things I never knew I wanted, like Varrick making the transition from completely amoral to actually caring about the difference between right and wrong. I was so sure that that would have ruined the character, but no, the fact that he's still so utterly loveable despite having grown a conscience is wonderful.

I love how "Equality" is a dirty word in the Avatar universe.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Sato posted:

See, to me that's part of Korra's character development. She defined herself as a fighter, but she was taught the old traditional styles of bending in a controlled environment, with everyone she came into contact with handpicked by a bunch of old people. Of course she's going to appear to be an incredible fighter, to herself and others. She came out of the compound and there's all these unusual benders and situations she has to adjust to, and Korra tends to rely on brute force so she's not a particularly quick and innovative fighter. She'd done great against more traditional benders (and for the most part still did through the series--look at all those mooks she defeated), but since bending has changed and there's so many more variations she doesn't do as well and that destroys her self-esteem--if she's not a fighter, who is she?

Besides, couldn't it be argued that people being willing to challenge Korra fits in with the theme of the series as a whole, which is that people are starting to question the authority and purpose of the Avatar? People are starting to try their luck against her, which we didn't see as much in Aang's time.

I don't know if Kuvira had plans for the Avatar state, but she really hosed Korra up until that point because she was a more intelligent fighter who had obviously prepped for the battle. Honestly, Korra just randomly shot bolts of elements at her. Everyone knows that doesn't work, especially if you open with a fireball, as no one ever seems to get burned by one of those. When Roku fought Sozen, he disappeared at first and then got the jump on Sozen using the elements Ozen didn't have access to. His pulling out the Avatar state was just really to make a point about his authority. Korra could have used the environment around her to her advantage. Basically, she could have done anything but what she actually did and it would have been more effective.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

blurry! posted:

The same way every other person handled Korra. Step outta the way the push her into the mud.

Yeah probably that. He would never attack first anyway.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Isn't "10,000" just Chinese slang for "a whole lot"?

In Buddhist mythology, they use a big, round number to refer to "a longer period of time than we can/are not supposed to calculate." Like 5000 or 10,000 years. When is the next Buddha coming? 5,000 years. That sort of thing.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

JT Jag posted:

So it's kinda like how "a ton" is used in English? In that it has an explicit meaning of 1,000 kilograms but is also colloquially used to mean "a large amount."

Yes.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

I really think they're just going to let Kuvira tear down the swamp. That's kinda the tone of the show. They establish an old thing as great, the bad guy destroys it. Everything is impermanence, guys!

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

As the show has had a strict policy of keeping the ATLA cast on the sidelines of important combats (Katara sat out season 2, Zuko didn't help Korra in the final battle of season 3) I severely doubt we will see Toph at all.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Bolin has gotten really good at using the lava powers, to the point that somehow he's become one of the most combat-competent characters in the show (poo poo no one would have said even last season), but I don't think he's really gotten to the "creative usage" step yet. He just pulls it out when he's already in danger, he's not gonna make a plan centered around his new skills. Bolin has never really been the plan type.

It was funny to see him be like, "Oh right you guys are like lvl 1 benders, I'm a little tired of talking to you so I'll just bend myself out of this." BOOM

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Old Zuko is as adorable as young Zuko.

(Source: Tumblr fan artist makanidotdot)

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

I'm not really buying Brian's argument that they did it so people could get paid. "We wanted to make more money so we compromised our artistic integrity." Look, the show is not a charity. I don't care about a couple weeks of pay for animators. They'll find other jobs, especially if they have a track record of working on a show that's known to not be lovely.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Wow, geez. The fans finally came together about something.

I'm sorry for my dickishness, guys.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Whatever, I would still pay for a meteorite sword if I had a big chunk of change to spare. It's not like I would actually have to use it at some point. It would just be an awesome thing to have.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Rosalind posted:

Wu is way too weak to be a ruler of anything and they haven't portrayed him as having any character growth so far beyond admitting to himself that he's a dweeb. By this point, we would have seen some sort of indication of some inner strength or ability to lead if that's what they were building to. They're going to have a British system where he's the figurehead of the government but really the Earth Kingdom will be a democracy of some stripe.

This was actually Dowager Cixi's (on whom the Earth Queen was based) plan for China. Had she lived, she might have seen it implemented.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

JT Jag posted:

A Wu who has been humbled enough to understand he needs help to run his country would make an outstanding Head of State, if nothing else. Guy's got pizzazz.

He would make a good mayor of Toronto.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

JT Jag posted:

I mean, the fact that it WAS Aasiv Mandvi kind of took away from a character that was supposed to be a complete monster, but he did... Ok. He chose the wrong film and director to try and break into dramatic roles though.

He was friends with Shamaylan. That's why he did it. That's why Indian-American actors fill up the Fire Nation.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Rosalind posted:

I wonder what Korra's going to do about the spirits now. I assume she's going to convince them to join her side somehow, but she doesn't have much time left.

If there's anything I've learned from the series, it's that spirits are self-righteous dicks.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byycwl8qgc

To get back on topic, Hayden Childs at the AV Club also gives what I think is the best explanation why, mythology-wise, Aang had to defeat Ozai in the exact way that he did:

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/avatar-the-last-airbender-sozins-comet-72160

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Hauldren Collider posted:

The mech is stupid. They should have just put it on a ship. You know, the thing people normally do when they have to move something really big really far.

It just needs to be a little less ... tall. It looks super tip-able. I mean she could probably get up, but it would take her some time.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

The most recent episode had a lot of conspicuous budget-saving techniques - the evacuation montages are the main offender - so it's clear they were saving up for the finale. I'm excited.

"Haha look non-Benders are important too."

Yeah they pulled a Speed Racer on us with the animation.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Abandoned subplots include something about the circus: Su was involved, the Red Lotus met there, and the thugs in the oasis who turned out to be mover fans of Bolin had the blue tattoos associated with everyone who was in the circus. And there was that picture floating around on the internet that a picture from someone's television of a younger Su and Zaheer working in a circus ring.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Hauldren Collider posted:

FYI, the part of the Avatar finale I hated most was the part where Aang kisses Katara. Annoyed the gently caress out of me. I think I may just hate love stories....

In general, it has to be the weakest point of Diko's writing. Almost every relationship - with the exception of Varrick and Zhu Li - was forced and the dialogue was terrible. And even that one they managed to gently caress up pretty hard with the proposal scene. They would occasionally stumble onto something good - like Zuko and Katara, who were both older than Aang at an age when a few years really did matter and had actual chemistry - they couldn't use it because of plot. What makes Korra and Asami work is that it's not actually an on-screen relationship. It's just sort of, "Oh, all the men we wrote (or were forced to write in by Nick) were terrible for Korra, and she's great with Asami, so let's go with that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Zedd posted:

I thought all "relations" in TLA where goofy dorky kid ones. :v:

Right. Aang was 12, Katara was 14, Zuko was 16, during years when even being a year apart in age really matters. Aang and Katara were set up from the first moment Aang opened his eyes and I thought that was really annoying. Who falls in love forever when you're 12? But the series tried to treat it seriously at the end, and that was super annoying. I liked Korra and Asami's ending much more because it was subtle, it was a natural development of their characters, and they were both 20, so old enough to be mature but young enough to still have the world ahead of them.

Also, SERIOUSLY, what was up with that circus? It's the great unexplored backstory of the Korra world.

• Locked thread