Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sekkira posted:

It actually wouldn't bother me so much if the line about focusing on the impurities of the metal was the key to metal bending. The Fire Nation would have good understanding of metallurgy and I'd assume that'd give a greater understanding of what's in metal for metal benders. The problem is that the more you refine that knowledge, the less impurities you have in metal to make structures stronger. So you wouldn't have Zaofu being built out of terrible metal, but very refined. So how would they metal bend that? What do they define as the impurities in the metal that they can bend with? Carbon? Because guess what you can do then? Because with the Fire Nation's knowledge, this would be known. If not, then what? And what's in every other metal then that makes it bendable that isn't in platinum but is in mercury? And if it is in platinum, why didn't you just use some other material to restrain Korra? Sure, she's the avatar, but she doesn't have superhuman strength.

I'm okay with earthbenders being able to metal bend just because you find metal in the ground. I'm even okay with "Metalbenders just can't bend platinum".

Or maybe Toph is right about her daughters being plebs and Suyin is an idiot who thinks that's how metal bending works. Let's go with that.

I'm honestly fine with the hand waving. We usually get random exceptions for these kinds of powers in most superhero media, anyway.

What I found funny was the implication of "Don't try to bend out of these. They're platinum." is that you cannot contort or break the material through bending, but bending is basically elemental-specific kinesis. So, shouldn't Korra have been able to fly around just using force push/pull on her chains. She has enough mobility for the somatic component of ripping up large chunks of cliff side and hurling them with her feet. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sato posted:

Up on the Nick site.

What are the chances Zhu Li is just playing the loyal supporter to get in the inner circle to save Varrick? Normally I'd say definitely but these writers have burned me before.

Almost 100%. We got the scene in the train when he used his piddling man-strength to save her. That and the look on her face when they were forced to give up the fight in the mechs (which was anime as hell, actually, complete with the sideways glace and the "tch" annoyance/anger emote) pretty much guarantee her heel-turn is a ruse. I'm pretty sure she had more lines this episode than all of her previous speaking parts put together which was neat.

And all hail the lava bending mech destroyer!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Miss Nomer posted:

Actually nothing would make me happier than if none of that happened but one of the final scenes involves Korra asking Zuko and Katara if there was ever any romance between them and one of them goes "Well, you see..." and that's the end. Forever.

And they both glance over at Bumi while he's playing with Bum-ju.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

Well... they did make a specific point out of letting Korra and Bolin try bending SPACE ROCK because it's supposed to be so much easier to bend. And I seem to remember Toph having some leftover SPACE ROCK from the sword meteor that she played around with because it was super easy to bend.

So, Sokka's sword is probably the easiest object on earth to metalbend.

Flipping through YouTube, I remember seeing a video of some weapons otaku/blacksmith guy built a replica of Sokka's sword out of actual meteorite metal he got his hands on, and it was the shittiest sword ever. He had to fold a bunch of tempered steel into it just so it wouldn't snap in two when you swung it.

Too lazy to find the link.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I actually wasn't thinking of Man at Arms when I posted that. There was another video of a guy talking about how lovely Sokka's sword would actually be, and he was no-question an otaku.

Edit: I think he referenced the Man at Arms replica, though. Either way, this is a dumb tangent.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 24, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RottenK posted:

Raava is suicidal?

Yes.

And I want to see the world tremor and shake once she is eliminated for good. Like when the moon went blood red after the Yin moon spirit was killed but a million times higher on the :asoiaf: scale.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RottenK posted:

Batman Beyond is really good, and had a lot of great moments and cool episodes. Mr Freeze :smith:

Also, it was kinda funny how many villains didn't survive their encounter with Terry.

Also, Blight was rad as hell.

Wasn't there a spinoff show about some robot assasin that first showed up in BB?

BB was best at the beginning and the end. Blight was basically a more realistic Lex Luthor. And a lot of the world building episodes and introductory episodes for some of the recurring characters were well done. Most of the BB original rouges gallery kind of fell by the wayside mid-way through when it became obvious that they were one-note villains or just bad OG Batman villain ripoffs. Really, some of the best episodes were just dealing with Bruce's old antagonists (e.g., Freeze, Ra's, etc.).

The worst parts really were the high school centric episodes. But the couple Batman Beyond centric episodes in JLU and the Return of the Joker movie were loving phenominal. (Old Static :swoon:)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Steensma posted:

That actually reminds me that my favorite episode of season 1 was the relationship drama one.

How was your favorite season 1 episode not the attack on the stadium?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I could honestly see Lin getting drunk and stalking Tenzin after they had broken up much to Pema's dismay just out of sheer loneliness.

:stalker:
Who's there? I'll call the police!
:cop: The police? I AM THE POLICE! :barf:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
With everyone (understandably) gushing over the finale scene, I will just say the point the finale actually grabbed my undivided attention was the sweeping cannon shot that was barely deflected over Korra's head and proceeded to nuke the entire city skyline. Anyone have a gif of that?

:stare: :tviv: :stare:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Of course it is talked about on the couple pages I skip. After re-watching that scene, I just realized that Kuvira's platform was gyro stablized. That's a pretty sweet pick-up from an animation standpoint.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NutritiousSnack posted:

Nauro x Hinata

They finally made that A Thing, huh? I stopped following the franchise 7 years ago, but that still warms my heart.

As far as using the avatar state to wreak the mech, I don't think Korra could've done any more to it from the outside than what they showed her doing while maintaining control (e.g., Freezing it temporarily, distracting by hucking giant slabs of street, knocking it over with gale winds, etc.).

They've pretty much made platinum the iron of the pre-Toph avatar universe. So, I guess it comes down to, could the avatar state produce a flame hot enough and focused enough to match a plasma welding torch?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Aces High posted:

He doesn't list Futurama either soooo yeah

And no one has mentioned Samurai Jack or Animaniacs. loving troglodytes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Another idea is traveling to the moon and how that might turn out.

In space, no one can feel you bend! :kheldragar:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, binge watching the series again over Christmas break, and I realized that Kuvira shows up a helluva lot in Season 3. She shows up in every major scene in Zhou Fu. She even has more than a few speaking lines before her big name drop...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

All I know is that bad parenting must be embedded loving deep into the Bei Fong genes. Lin really dodged a bullet there by being too unlovable to impregnate.

Sorry Bolin! Your kids have about a 1 in 3 chance of being the next Hitler.

Really, all of the original Team Avatar were lovely parents with the possible exception of Katara. Aang ignored 2/3 of his kids, Toph was a workaholic, and Sokka didn't even raise his kid *coughsuyincough*. If you include Zuko, I'm not sure what to make of Izumi, but she seems like kind of a hardass.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That reminds me. One of the most hilarious loose ends of the entire series was when Korra asks Zuko about what Aang would do in her situation, then blithely comments on how Iroh was right.
:corsair: Wait. You spoke with my uncle?
:v: Yeah. In the Spirit World. A couple times actually.

And Zuko just has this dumbfounded look on his face before they get interrupted to go to the comms room. And it is never brought up again.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 29, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

YorexTheMad posted:

Su Yin is kind of a lovely person behind her awesome battle-hippy persona. She's probably my favorite character because of that.

Best ninja mom ever.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

thexerox123 posted:

I don't know about that, but someone did make this:

:3:

Iroh: Closest thing to a Jedi Master in the Avatar universe.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rosalind posted:

I would call Book 3 of Korra the best book we've had in the Avatar series. It was the most thematically well-crafted with a compelling set of villains.

How would everyone rank the villains? I'd say:

Red Lotus
Kuvira
Fire Nation/Ozai/Azula
Amon
Unalaq

I'd put Azula above Kuvira if I separated her from the rest of the Fire Nation though.

Red Lotus > Azula > Kuvira > Amon = Long Feng = Ozai > Unalaq > Admiral Xao

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

BOLIN SAVES THE PRESIDENT

This part doesn't get enough love. As much of a poo poo storm as season 2 was, it had the best Bolin writing save a couple parts in season 4.

NUKTUK! HERO OF THE WORLD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Holy poo poo. Kaiser Neko made that? I didn't even know he followed the franchise.

• Locked thread