Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Korak posted:

Prediction for today: Black/Mardu Aggro cards all spike double or more by the end of the weekend. 4x Pain Seer in top 16.

So it seems like from FNM reports last night that playing deathtouchers in this format actually helps slow down aggressive decks and midrange decks. Pharika might actually be an interesting card in a Rock Control deck.

If you have Red and aren't on the Rabblemaster plan Circle of Flame is absolute Murder on Rabble Red/Mardu Aggro decks because they have so many X/1s.

Rabble Red can't do anything about it without a White splash for Erase and Mardu is stopped stone dead until it hits Butcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The first 2 weeks after a new set is released is usually interesting since something new always seems to come around. Even if it's just a few Brews with some of the new cards.

The first month after a new rotation is usually madness because everything has changed and nothing is really set in stone until the first Pro Tour of the new Standard.

The 2-Set-Blocks-No-Core-Sets release schedule is going to make spectating High Level play a lot more interesting with Standard shifting every 3 months and Rotations happening every 6 months.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think the op needs a 'so you want to get in to magic' paragraph.

Also it's me, I'm the guy who is passed the foil fetchland in draft :getin:

Seriosly? 1, or more, (but probably just 1) people were try-harding enough to just casually pass a Foil Fetch?

Dude better have won the draft with whatever he took over that.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
SCGs Singles are usually overpriced anyway.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

LordSaturn posted:

Alex Bertoncini is one of the leading names in tournament magic cheating, in this age of video replays letting us all watch him cheat long after he's gotten away with it.

"Two Explores"

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The only misses for Narset are Lands and Creatures. Everything else is a hit but still subject to normal "timing" rules for casting them.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah. Not every Standard Format can support every color equally.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If Perilous Vaults becomes "A Thing" we'll be seeing Destructive Revelry, Naturalize, Shatter, Sultai Charm (as if you wouldn't play this in a Sultai deck), and maybe Solemn Offering coming out of Sideboards.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

Are there any chances of ever seeing Counterspell back in standard?

<--

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
How much play did Sphinx of Uthuun get? 'Cause that's Fact or Fiction strapped to a 5/6 Flier for 5UU.

I could see them maybe doing a Functional FoF reprint that's a Sorcery instead of Instant at some point in the future.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Samael posted:

Goons, what is your preferred 5 drop for a Temur Monsters deck- Sarkhan, Stormbreath Dragon, Prognostic Sphinx, Surrak Dragonclaw, Keranos, God of Storms or Nissa Worldwaker?

Fun-ofs of all of then. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I think the only Modern coverage we get is Modern PTs/GPs.

SCG runs Modern Premier IQs at every Open but they don't do any coverage of it. Commentators will mention it and talk about the results from it the next week but no actual live coverage. It would be nice if they would do some coverage of it though. I'm sure they could afford the equipment and put together a B-Team of commentators without much trouble.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
How many Khans printing Fetches were seen on screen during the course of the Legacy Open?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
MODO posts go here just make it obvious you're talking about MODO so no-one thinks you've done something insane.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So legacy people, explain to me Monastery Swiftspear vs. Goblin Guide. I wasn't sold on Spear because I figured Guide was better. I knew it could grow bigger than 2/2 but I guess I didn't count on four Treasure Cruise actually being practical and giving it enough gas to do more over the course of a game.

Does Goblin Guide's trigger tend to get exploited by Brainstorm to get a free extra card? Is it common enough that that's a real factor vs. just average damage per turn?

Crossquoting from the Eternal thread.

AnacondaHL posted:

It wasn't a joke. I Top 64'd (6-3) SCG Edison Legacy Open with a playset, and would have finished higher if I played more land. Here's what I ran:

Deck: Legacy Burn KTK

//Lands
1 Barbarian Ring
19 Mountain

//Spells
4 Chain Lightning
4 Fireblast
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Price of Progress
4 Rift Bolt
3 Searing Blaze
2 Sulfuric Vortex

//Creatures
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear

//Sideboard
2 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Price of Progress
3 Pyroblast
3 Relic of Progenitus
3 Searing Blood
1 Smash to Smithereens
2 Sulfuric Vortex

Display deck statistics

Here are notable things that happened with Monastery Swiftspear throughout the day:
- Multiple Tarmogoyfs killed straight up in combat
- Instrumental in actually beating Dredge w/o graveyard hate
- Sideboarded out against Death & Taxes that had maindeck Spirit of the Labyrinth and Ethersworn Canonist
- Crushed UW Miracles
- Several opponent frowny faces as my T1 Goblin Guide reveals Daze/Spell Pierce, and I follow with Turn 2 Swiftspear and suspend Rift Bolt
- Going off the traditional Lightning Bolt deals 2.7 damage per card/mana and Goblin Guide deals 3.4, I'd conservatively estimate Swiftspear was in the 3.1 range, but I didn't keep strict count. It may be higher due to absolute dominance in some games.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So it's been confirmed that they haven't fixed Box Mapping?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Infect is about the same. Decks with possible wins on Turn 3 are all over the place in Modern but are held down by the lack of consistency they have. If this Jeskai deck ends up being way too consistent about T3 wins the Ascendancy might end up banned.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

L0cke17 posted:

Reserve list. Legacy is all the things you can't have because of the reserve list, modern is everything else.

I would play Modern if they existed in it. As it is, all the fun cards are banned and everything left is boring.

:psyduck: You are literally completely missing the point of Modern as a format.

Just go play Legacy and pretend like Modern doesn't exist or whatever.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Seriously if you already play Legacy I don't see why you care that Modern isn't Legacy.

Just go play Legacy and ignore Modern if you don't like it. There's nothing forcing you to play the format.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I Love You! posted:

Man I just tried this and I would have made out like a loving bandit. 4 foil rares, foil treasure cruise, foil POLLUTED DELTA, i made so much imaginary dollars just now. Screw waiting to draft my box im tearing it open right the hell now

Foil Treasure Cruise's price is insane. It's also unsustainable yes?

Buy a case of Khans and just sit on them until like a year or 2 after rotation then throw them the individual boxes up on Ebay for like $400 each or something. Someone will buy them. :v:

As a separate topic what are the odds that a pack has a foil? From my Drafting and Sealed games it seems like ~1/5 but I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure out the odds of pulling any particular Foil from a pack. if it is ~1/5 the odds are ~1/1500.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Snacksmaniac posted:

Print another Locus and let's get this bitch up to 20 post. Edit: Legitimately confused about the number of posts available.

12. 4 Cloudpost, 4 Glimmerpost, 4 Vesuva.

I don't know where he's getting 16 from.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Tracula posted:

Any sort of consensus on what to do with foil fetch lands? I could see regular ones dropping as the market gets more saturated but not really sure what to do with the shiny ones.

Just sit on it for a year or so. The price will skyrocket post rotation.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

AnacondaHL posted:

I'd say there's a high chance that the Pro Tour will show how to combat against Rabblemaster, and the price will actually drop due to poor performance.

Magma Spray and/or Searing Blood is how you combat Rabblemaster.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Snacksmaniac posted:

Rabblemaster is seeing some fringe eternal play. It's good with sol lands.

Ancient Tomb > Lotus Petal > Rabblemaster, Enter Combat > Rabblemaster trigger, Swing 1, Pass?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm glad I've got my playset at like 25 cents.

I guess it shot up from people trying to build the Jeskai Tempo deck from the last Open.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Man it feels SO GOOD to be able to say I own 4 Flooded Strand. If you had asked me 2 weeks ago what the most valuable card I own is it would have been Ashiok or Thassa. :v:

Here's hoping I crack a Foil Fetch in Draft so I can lord it over everyone else in my store like the douchebag they already think I am after my insane Sealed pool from last week (2 Windswept Heath and a Flooded Strand).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah, we're only 5 days into Khans being fully available so supply hasn't caught up to demand yet. All the prices will have smoothed out by around Christmas and almost every non-Fetch Rare and non-Planeswalker Mythic will be bulk or at least >:10bux: by that time.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I love that my brother traded a guy his Wingmate Roc for a Mantis Rider, a pair of Clash Pack Promo Prophets, and a handful of other things. I can't wait for it to fall so I can see him get burned on that deal. It's totally gonna hold at $10 guys. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

UberJew posted:

I opened a foil Windswept Heath :toot:

Because I bought a box for 99 dollars like a total idiot

Assuming you got the average 3-4 non-Foil Fetches per box as well you'll come out ahead flipping them after rotation. If and when you want to cash out at some point after then.

If not whatever you've got a Foil Fetch.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The guy my brother traded his Wingmate Roc to last Friday opened 4 boxes of Khans.:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

He probably left the store's back room a mess of pack wrappers too.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

LordSaturn posted:

Take another look at Sheldon Menery and tell me you're sure he doesn't have a sex-murder dungeon in his basement. I bet he slyly refers to it as "the command zone".

Why can't they take a normal, front-facing picture for those article/bio pics. Angle shots like those make everyone look worse and make this guy look like some kind of TV serial killer.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BJPaskoff posted:

What the gently caress is happening.

This topic isn't even on the bingo card.

Hey kids.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
OK I kinda want this GP Shanghai playmat now.

Angel riding a Panda Bear. To battle, noble steed! :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah mine is selling russian packs at $9 per. I watched someone by 9 and crack them and get basically poo poo :stonk:

:drat:

Anyone who believes foreign language cards are worth more than a native language one deserves to be ripped off that badly.

I wish I could find some French cards. Apparently no one cares about French. :france:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Xeom posted:

Should I even try to build a sliver deck in standard. I think its doable, but probably not the best thing ever.

You missed that actually almost decent Slivers boat.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Palooka. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Jonked posted:

How the hell do you pronounce mutant without a moo sound?

Some people intentionally mispronounce words because they find it funny, even when the rest of the world doesn't.

Also his name is totally Big Palooka, the World Eater guys. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The people who still try to use the old Apocalypse names actually kinda annoy me now.

Those names barely exist. They're on like 4 cards each and weren't even close to pushed. Hardly anybody used them anyway. Quit being weird, guy at my shop, you're like 20, you weren't even around for those old names.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
You can still put silly deck names down but for coverage reasons they won't display that and instead display [color(s)] [strategy]. Those Jeskai "Tempo" decks probably had different names but were put up as Tempo because that's what they looked like to someone somehow.

I would have probably called them Burn decks myself. They're not quite aggressive enough to call Aggro and aren't quite controlling enough to call a real Tempo deck. Tempo from my understanding is all about "get my important creature out and protect it while stalling/slowing down my opponents game with counters and removal" like Delver decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Hang on, let me pull out my list of countries with Red, White, and Blue flags...

I'm playing... Luxembourg Control. :v:

• Locked thread