Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Newbie question.

I opened some Khans boosters and opened a Flooded Strand, I don't have tons of cards (been buying 100 card repacks of commons and uncommons for a £1 to bulk up).

I'm thinking of trading this for a couple of Chrandra Firebrand and some bits to round out my white/red deck I like playing.

Is this a bad idea? My main reservation is that if this card is gonna be worth £50 in 6 months I'll be pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Chamale posted:

Absolutely no way it will be. Cards from new sets tend to decline in value, and the only reason they go up in value is because they suddenly see wider play. Flooded Strand has saturated the potential demand so it has very little room to grow in value, but the supply will keep increasing and push the price downward.

Thanks, that's made my decision, it makes sense to me to actually get cards I'll have fun playing rather than hoarding value cards, just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a bad choice :)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Citizen Psmith posted:

Note, by the way (you may already be aware of this, or don't care, but "newbie"), that if you're building for Standard, you won't be able to use Chandra, the Firebrand; the currently-legal version of her is Chandra, Pyromaster.

Thanks, I hadn't really checked that TBH but I'm at the "this game seems fun but I keep getting casually stomped with my shitbox toolkit decks so I'll put some thought in to one" stage, signing up for a FNM is a way off for the time being.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

FNM is actually a pretty decent place to get some good deck/card advice and some varied play experience, assuming your LGS isn't filled with pro-tour wannabes.

I'd love to play some sealed booster games but my LFGS only does standard and modern and if they're the same decks I get wrecked by on a Saturday afternoon I'm well out my league.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Talk to the LGS owner/TO and see if they'll schedule a Sealed event for a future FNM. If they seriously won't that sucks and the only opportunity you'll get at that is at Prereleases (next one is Jan 17).

Yeah, I've signed up for that one and I'm looking forward to it immensely.

I'm good friends with the manager of the FLGS and I've asked him before but he won't as no one signs up due to the fact they have dropped £300+ on decks and (understandably) want to play those.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

This is some excellent MTGO downtime

ahh so that's why I can't recover an old account, though it was just being shite as usual...

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

No expert but yeah, you'd be able to have a game but it's going to be a bit tricky as there are a lot of new mechanics to get to grips with.

I'd just buy a starter deck for like $15 and play him with that.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Back when I started playing I remember Shivan Dragons being the absolute BOMB and people actually crowding round to take a look when one was pulled from a booster.

I also remember playing this combo for a while

&

Just look at dat fuckin wordy explanation for creating a 1/1 flyer....

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Entropic posted:

Breeding Pit / Ebon Praetor was the better combo.

yeah that was way after I stopped playing.

gave it up after think it was either Ice Age or the Dark, whichever came latest and then came back around ravnica, such a massive WTF moment TBH

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Sotar posted:

I can just imagine you looking at those creatures after the last set you played was Ice Age and going "wow a 3/3 for 2 mana, I bet you have to discard like 3 cards a turn to him or something and- wha? no downsides?"

I bought the M14 toolkit so I was OK with that, everything sort of made sense and it was nice to see old friends like serra angels and sengier vamps.

Then I opened my theros boosters I bought and it confused the poo poo out of me. I pulled a Boros Reckoner and the guy in the FLGS told me it was a good money card and for the life of me I could not figure out why? I mean its a 3/3 and any damage done to it will turn in to damage I can fire back, but why would anyone block it knowing that?? and if I pay and give him first strike then that won't work so ummm what...

I was still in the mindset of "get big creatures out, win game"

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

They sell shibe card sleeves in my FLGS

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Temple of M'Lady

:fedora:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Shufflechat!

I'll pile shuffle 6 piles of 10 just to be sure I've not left any enchantments stuck to anything or anything left exiled out (or even shuffled a token in by mistake) then I'll mash it all together a few times and be good to go.

Am I doing anything wrong? (new to competitive Magic, still a :3 newb)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Question about Soulflayer...

Lets say in combat I sac 3 goblins to Butcher of the Horde, my opponent responds with normal removal, I then cast Soulflayer exiling butcher as part of the delve.

Does it get all the abilities that Butcher had that turn given the turn never ended for him to lose it?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Quick rules question pals.

Opponent has War Tax out and I drop a sudden disappearance, in response he pumps war tax, does the effect still stand even tho the war tax has been removed?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Well hello new tiny leader....

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Vital Signs posted:

I'm literally 3/4 done with my deck and now want to start over with her instead....

I've got a Mardu standard deck I'm getting a bit bored with so I can take that apart and have a not to shabby base to run her as a leader with

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

What happens with Manifiest and ETB triggers? do they just never trigger?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I have held off buying a play mat for so long now.

However if I can't get a Mardu Scout playmat I'm going to be incredibly upset

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

When should I sell or trade my Elspeths (paper and online) before the duel deck? Becayse that's going to torpedo her price right?

My intuition says ASAP as most people know about the duel decks coming up and will hold off buying them until then so the price might go on a steady downward trend from now.

Sell = Eslpeth
Buy = Hooded Hydra - I predict it's going to be a massive play in standard with the Manifest mechanic, same for Master of Pearls TBH

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I've gone for Mardu for the simple reason I've played Mardu this standard season and it's the one I know most about, probably gonna get smashed but if I can get a couple of California surfin' goblin I'll be happy

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Pre-release night and I find out my FLGS has Standard - Standard - Tiny Leader on FMN before...

This is going to be a long and expensive night

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

OK first ever midnight pre-release and second ever sealed tournament trip report

I selected Mardu as my clan because it's what I've been playing in the last few months in standard format, I like to play reactive and Mardu seems to be good for that.

The Good
* Got to play with cool new cards and mechanics
* Met some interesting new people from out of town
* Had a laugh with my buddies
* Made some good trades for stuff for tiny leaders

The Bad
* The special Ugin boosters were poo poo, everyone getting salty about that
* Drunk loving socially inept nerds, it was isolated to the front of the shop and I stayed away but some DRAMA coming from that end of the shop alright
* Prize pool, the owner lied and said there would be a top 20 prize pool earlier in the week, come the end of the night he paid out to the top 8
* Pulled absolutely nothing of value from any of the packs I opened that night

It was pretty pointless doing the midnight one if I'm honest, if I'd have slept normally and just gone to the Saturday day one I'd have made the prize pool, (owner said "hey sorry about the top 8 prize pool thing, but if you stay here an sign for the next one I'll make sure everyone gets a prize") would have been no nerd drama and I wouldn't be tired as poo poo.

I did make a good deck and went

2-0
1-2
2-0
1-2
2-0
2-0

in my games, it helped that I had 7 hard removal spells and several good creatures that made me a good solid deck, ended up finishing 11/50 which for my second ever sealed event I'm pretty proud of.

Also playing 3 "bathe in dragonfire" one turn after the other and then dashing with the Mardu Scout at an empty board really made this guy tilt bad and scoop.

And that is my first ever pre-release story.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah I think out of all the people who waited till the end to get one I was the only person to even get a rare (some blue jeskai dude) most people just got 3 commons.

Lol some guy got 3 commons ripped the whole lot up and stormed out.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

One of my matches I made the mistake of playing that 5/5 red dragon that gets shuffled back in to the library at the end step.

That is a bad card and I blame tiredness for making me play it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

If it was sort of a forced dash I could see it being useful somewhat in limited but there's no reason at all to pick it over any type of burn spell.

Even giving it flash and keeping the bounce to library would make it good as a removal blocker or finisher, as it is it's just trash tho

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

This whole set just seems a little underwhelming, is that just because it's a filler set?

I mean good value cards so far are

Ugin
Fetches
Monastary Mentor
and possibly Alesha

I was thinking about grabbing a box next weekend but for the £70 it's going to cost me I think I can get the singles I want and still have change for a pizza...

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

bhsman posted:

Library Dragon worked just fine for me as a curve-topper for an easy 5 damage or getting rid of a flying blocker, haters gonna hate. :c00l:

Which only really works if the opponent is on low enough life that they have to block it otherwise the smart play is to let the damage through and then back to normal the turn after.

Sure it has situational advantage in niche cases but I'd take a boggy 5/5 for 5 without flying that sticks around over it any day.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea the only time I see that really helping is if the guy's already almost dead and you're just finishing him off. Otherwise you just eat the damage and say bye bye to the dragon regardless.

One thing I did notice at this pre release is that people will really work hard to protect their life totals even if they're sat on 22 life or something and you're swinging with a 3/3 they'll make some really unfavourable trades to stop that damage. Is this normal? Just seems a bit odd to me.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

*puts counter on five-alarm fire

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, but Elspeth does a good enough job killing opponents on her own without needing help. A Purphoros deck is probably a mono-red deck that's pooping goblins.

hitting chandra's ultimate with a purph on deck and digging up triple hordeling outburst is living the dream

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

If you're mono Red and can turn him on pretty easily it's probably playable... But, yeah the fact that tokens don't give him devotion is pretty bad.

Stupid newbie question but other than the large body what are the benefits to hitting the devotion given that creature removal is a lot more prevalent than enchantment removal?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Well, they are indestructible, so creature removal doesn't mean much to Gods.

Wait, so it's not an indestructible enchantment then? If that's true I need to have some harsh words with a friend of mine...

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Entropic posted:

Wait, I somehow forgot Deicide. I think because no one bothers playing it now that we have Erase back and the one mana discount is more than worth the trade for the Extirpate effect.

Crackling doom would do it too

4x purphoros
2x chandra
2x elspeth
4x hordeling outburst
4x Raise the Alarm
3x monastary Master
2x Brimaz
3x Rabblemaster
4x lightning Strike
4x chained to the rocks
2x suspension field
2x banishing light

That's how I would play it, wouldn't worry about hitting the devotion too much

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Some chick at FNM was complaining that it doesn't make any sense that Planeswalkers are stated to be unable just take other people with them to other planes, but then you, a Planeswalker player, can summon Heliod from Theros to fight Sidisi from Tarkir even though they are from different planes.

I....don't actually know why you can do that.

You can use the power of the land to summon someone to you for a short period of time however to actually bring someone along full time is not possible.

(I just made that up but it makes sense to me)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Not been watching the whole SCG stream, has anyone done anything with Alesha or warrior tribal yet?

I'm watching the Super Sunday on the MTG channel and a lot of monastery mentor action going off

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Monastery Mentor is pretty awesome. He eats about the same amount of removal as Rabblemaster, but the token he often leaves behind is typically better than what Rabblemaster leaves behind. Sure, its possible to never actually get one out before he dies, but usually you don't get a Rabblemaster token out before he dies in the same scenario.

I also like Mardu Strike Leader too, dashs out after a wipe and shits out a 2/1 before bouncing back.

It's also good for poors like me who can't afford a set of rabblemasters :v

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Maro's article from yesterday is trolling. He says, " The Thicket Basilisk ability is called deathtouch, although without the wall rider." Neither Thicket Basilisk nor Cockatrice have Deathtouch at all. Lure + Basilisk was the first big combo I thought of as a kid, and it only works because it has a functionally different ability than Deathtouch. :spergin:

Also, Maro's writing is super insufferable at times. Like, this article (a fake interview between himself and Richard Garfield in 1993) is on the level of his "colors getting interviewed" articles.

I thought the same thing, the whole fake past conversation was some hokey poo poo

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Hmmm what would be the chances of "pre spark" plainswalkers being a different colour?

Only asking because Liliana looks pretty loving white in that art (not racist), but I don't know lore so I have no idea if she was always evil or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

JerryLee posted:

She's surrounded by ravens though :v:

The more I look at it the more it's clubbing you in the face with the "going down a dark path" visual metaphor

never change wizards

• Locked thread