Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I haven't fool around with Darunia much. What's his bread and butter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

It's going to be interesting to see if the Wii U gets an actual Musou game, either a port of DW8 XL, or DW 9 itself when that arrives, and you know it will.

Orochi Warriors 3 Hyper.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Psyker posted:

I don't see the point of getting hearts and heart pieces when you're never supposed to be taking damage :D

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. Heart pieces feel sort of worthless? I barely ever take damage and if I do one or two extra hearts doesn't make a big difference.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kissing Dad posted:

I seem to have an issue fighting Volga when I see him. When his weak point shows up I got to attack him and then it suddenly disappears when I hit him and he goes back to normal. I can never seem to lower his weak point. Did I miss something glaringly obvious?

Game owns btw

His jumping spear weak point has a very low vulnerability period. You basically need to start attacking before it appears.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm sorry, those all sound like characters who can take damage and not infinitely regenerate their SP bar whenever they want.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jsor posted:

You know, on "all attacks are devastating" levels, people say to use the bow. This is absolutely 100% true, but I think people forget about Sheik's lightning shield, which is really funny on those levels.

That is because Zelda's baton strong attack is better than both.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Nobody ever remembers the baton for anything more than that, but baton Zelda is a monster in general. Just not on the same tier as Shiek and Dorf. It makes me happy that Zelda is at least two of the best characters in the game.

I like Baton Zelda but I've never quite gotten her to be a monster. She's so immobile which really hurts when trying to avoid damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

For Zelda's baton mission, do not pursue Volga. Just beeline for your objectives.

I have to say this is the exact opposite of what I encountered. Ignoring Volga lead to him taking the base incredibly quickly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Is it my imagination, or did I see a "all attacks are devastating, don't take damage" mission?

Devastating attacks are not an insta-kill, they just take you down to minimal health so that makes sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So this is my first Dynasty Warriors-style game and I'm loving it, basically. I'm sort of curious to try out another similar title--does anyone have any reccomendations for anything that's similar to this game?

In terms of core mechanics, the closest Dynasty Warriors is probably Dynasty Warriors 8 which also has a (variation) on weak points and stuff. Orochi Warriors 3 is also good if just for the gigantic-rear end cast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

Oh poo poo, Valkyrie Zelda is actually a pretty badass concept! She could really use an undershirt or something, though. Glad they changed Impa, that design is bland as hell.
I can't decide if Proto-Cia is more or less anime than the one they stuck with. Her color scheme is a bit less garish than what we got, at least.

I'm pretty sure that's Lana.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Thanks to everyone's advice I finally managed to firebomb my way through the mission before the Summoning Gate and finally get that.

...not sure it was worth it.

Make sure to fully upgrade the attacks first. The way it works is that you use Strong Attack to summon a monster and then do the combo that normally summons that monster. It will instead have an improved attack that is hilariously overpowered. Not quite Great Fairy or Sheik overpowered but still overpowered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pixaal posted:

Kid Icarus was fully voiced, I'm still convinced it was done as a parody. There is no way that was intended as serious voice acting, which just makes the game better as a comedy.

Kid Icarus' voice acting was goofy Saturday morning cartoon fair and it owns for that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Even when your friends abandon you and every aspect of your life is falling apart around you, at least Link will be there to help and protect you. I think that's the lesson I've picked up here.

Don't tell Cia that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloodly posted:

I'm speaking of hearsay. If I were to guess, I imagine 'Legendary' can only spawn on the higher weapons ANYWAY.

Nope. I got it on Tier 1 and 2 weapons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble playing several characters well--Sheik, rapier Zelda, Ruto, and Fi to start with. Others, like Ganondorf with just the first weapon he gets, or Darunia, I just go Murder Time Fun Time all over the battlefields.

Seems I can only play strong stupid slow characters :downs:

Here is how to play Sheik:

Do her XY attack. Press Y to charge her invincible super shield. Now do her XXXXXY combo and press Y to fully charge your super meter. Now kill everything, cycling those two songs as needed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingEffingFrost posted:

Wait, the last song charges up your super meter? I... have some silver medals that need replacing.

Yep. The song effect creates a yellow square on the ground. As long as you're standing in it you'll regenerate super bar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll be honest and say the non-original villain characters are kinda my least favorite to play. Gannondorf feels powerful as hell but he's so vulnerable that I don't like using most of his gimmicks. The other two just don't mesh well with me at all. They're the ones I've been slowest at Adventure Mode with. (Gannondorf aside who can brute force everything.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I just found the best skill ever. "Defenseless - Cannot block, but attacks do more damage." :stare:

And it's on Midna. :getin:

Have fun when you go up against Zant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah the extra damage would definitely make him less of a pain to fight (though it is Midna so no one is ever really much of a pain anyway.)

I just meant more that the most effective way to do Zant's weak point stuff is to block. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Do people fight normally on Devastating attack missions because I just shoot the bow and arrow with Shiek like a true ninja

You mean play as Zelda and spam the baton 24/7.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Okay, what the hell happens if you manage to get someone's level 3 before their level 2? I have both of the Summoning Gate ones available.

it is unlocked but you won't get Level 2 item drops. Same goes for if you unlock Level 2 or 3 before unlocking level 1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Actually I got a level 2 Volga Spear despite not unlocking that tier a short while after unlocking his level 3.

That's really weird. I unlocked a few Level 3/Level 2 weapons first and literally never saw Tier 2 or 1 weapons until I unlocked them. IT was most obvious with Link's Great Fairy where I never saw the Level 1 despite getting a bunch of higher tiers regularly until it was unlocked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

What's this C# terminology I see in the thread? I'm new to Warriors games and I'm having a rough time following along.

It is "Charge."

Basically Charge 2 is Weak Attack->Strong Attack. Charge 3 is Weak-Weak-Strong, ect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I got this game to play with my little brother. Something we noticed is that he can choose to play as the villains but I can not. What's the deal there? I wanted to play as the :shivdurf: wizard.

Did you get the patch that enabled them?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm assuming Tingle and Fierce Deity Link.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

I think Skull Kid is a safe bet...the other character though, Tingle's a possibility, but there's also FD Link, Happy Mask Salesman, or something completely off the wall like Odolwa.

The only reason I doubt Skull Kid is that the Majora's Mask moon is already used in three other places including at least one other character, and it'd feel weird to have it on yet another character. (And weirder still for Skull Kid not to have it at all.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

Well, she is half a person. So it kind of makes sense.

So if you combine Cia's outfit and Lana's outfit you get one regular person outfit?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I never finished Ocarina of Time; can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about Saria that has people constantly lamenting that she wasn't included solely to wield the Deku Spear instead of Lana? Is it just nostalgia?

She was in a game so clearly she is more acceptable than an original character, despite the fact that literally every Zelda game includes new characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Most of the original characters suck, is the problem. Cia's costume feels embarrassingly out of place and Lana is a noncharacter, she has no real aesthetic style to speak of and communicates entirely through heavy breathing. I don't think anyone actually cares about Saria, it's more like "Lana is crappy and there's another character that would be an anime girl using deku magic who wouldn't feel out of place."

Volga and Wizzro are cool.

All characters in the game communicate through heavy breathing, there's no voice acting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm most hype for the MM pack to see if they do something interesting with the Adventure Map for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Magnatux posted:

MM also had playable deku scrub action. That could be good with some leaf and bubble stuff going on.

Lana's spear already kinda covers a lot of that,.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People's obssession with Skull Kid is weird. They treat him like he's one of the Most Important Characters Ever and it's shocking Nintendo isn't leveraging the poo poo out of him or whatever.

Excels posted:

i mean tingle pops balloons and throws kisses at people. coming up with five or six moves for a crazy three-stage boss like Majora shouldn't be any trouble at all.

but it's easier to just scale down Link and slap all of this into one attack right!!!

Tingle has been in multiple games and literally is the star of two games. He has been playable more than Zelda has.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

the majora's mask pack contains one skullkid outfit and Fierce Deity, everything else in that pack has nothing to do with Majora

also those OOT outfits are models ripped straight from the 3DS version, imo they should be free even if you didn't buy the full dlc pass

Tingle debuted in Majora's Mask. Also I think it's a bit early to go "Young Link has nothing to do with the Majora's Mask version" when we've barely seen his moveset.

Suaimhneas posted:

Yeah after they made the iconic villains of Twilight Princess and Skyward sword playable, it's totally weird that people would expect the Majora's Mask dlc to make that game's iconic villain playable, I dunno where that's even coming from

It is perfectly reasonable to expect it but to get super-angry that they didn't include him and act like it's completely bewildering they didn't is sort of weird.

People did the same poo poo with Smash Brothers and it made even less sense there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 19, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

getting super angry over anything in a video game is pretty stupid, unless your rage is 100% valid, which is pretty rare

Pretty much, yes.

Dastardly posted:

I won't deny that Y.Link will probably be fun to play as but as long as the Great Fairy exists I will never stop seeing him as a glorified weapon turned character to get out of having to make two characters for the MM-pack.

How precisely does this make sense? Every single character is a weapon. That is how the moveset thing works. The only real difference is who the weapon is tied to (and even that isn't particularly important except for animations, see the infamous glitch.) Literally the way the characters work is that every weapon is its own distinct character. There is not actually any less work put into a Young Link than there would be for a Majora since he needs a new model anyway.

There is no difference between characters. Characters can't equip other character's weapons. The difference between a new character and a new weapon is only that a new weapon reuses the character model/skin with a new animation set.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 19, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dastardly posted:

It means 3 tabs of badges you have to grind materials for and absolutely no incentives for the character to be used on the new adventure map.

I presume that he'll unlock his new weapons (probably the Razor and Gilded Swords) on the new map and probably will have a costume or two.

Also like, what do you think happened here? You're saying they did it to 'get out of making two characters' as if they were fulfilling a Kickstarter pledge or something. When they announced two characters for the Majora's pack they almost certainly knew who the characters were in advance.

I mean Christ, this isn't even the first time they did this. Twilight Princess's extra character was Midna's human form.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

new characters/weapons always come with their T2/T3 weapons unlocked, the three villains didn't because they wanted people to buy the second adventure map.

Fair enough. He'll presumably still have other unlockables on the map and also, y'know, you can play a character because they have a fun combat style or mechanics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

how about a patch that applies all the new poo poo (double drops, more enemies onscreen, etc) to the older maps and levels

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of BUY THE NEW MAPS AND GIVE US MONEY."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dastardly posted:

It means they're twisting their promises, if you can call it that.

They're not 'twisting their promises.' Both the characters they included are from Majora's Mask. Like, Young Link is explicitly the Majora's Mask version and his gimmick is a Majora's Mask exclusive gimmick, and Tingle first appeared in Majora's Mask. You can make an argument for "they should have included Majora's Mask" costumes but like... who would they include who didn't already have costumes? Darunia and Ruto already got MM-inspired costumes in one of the previous packs. Lana got a Skull Kid outfit.

I guess you can argue they should have saved the MM costumes for the MM pack but "they gave us these costumes too early! It isn't fair!" is a bit weird.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

I dunno, I get what he's saying about Young Link. Seeing as how great fairy and epona qualify as new weapons, there's no reason why Young Link can't be too. I guess you can say the same thing of Twili Midna, but I give it a pass because she shows up for <5 minutes at the very end of Twilight Princess and they were able to completely make up all of her stuff. It's just really boring that in the pack that's supposed to have two new characters, one of them is Link. Again. :geno: I'm sure he'll be fun to play, but I imagine he's probably going to forever remain my lowest leveled character.

Can't wait to see what the new game types in the boss pack are going to be. I guess that's probably gonna be March now, unless they bundle both it and MM together in February.

Great Fairy and Epona both reuse the base Link model, if in different ways. As far as we've seen Young Link contains no element of the original Link model. It is literally a completely different character model, even compared to skins which share the same base. (Great Fairy could swap any character out, to be fair, except for stealing Link's sword for an attack.)

I mean by this argument Sheik should be a weapon for Zelda also, and Twilight Midna should be a weapon for Midna and they don't 'count' as characters for some reason.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 19, 2015

• Locked thread