Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does the 3DS version have alternate paths/victory conditions? I'm wondering if defeating the Wizard in the first mission will give me anything in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm surprised switching between characters/issuing commands wasn't in the WiiU one. I hope that and not having to mount up to move fast get backported into the main Musou series because they're such obvious improvements.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

Where the hell do I get the Season Pass from

Beat the second mission in Legends mode to unlock the Extras option on the main menu, then get it from there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

That's weird. Thank you.

You're welcome. I have no idea why it's not straight up purchasable in the eShop (or why the Extras option isn't available from the start), but oh, well.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

The download DLC menu came with the 1.2 patch. Perhaps you need to update the game?

Yeah, this. Don't forget to download the patch!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That's a really good newbie guide.

One thing to note which Twelve briefly touches on at the end of their post: Musou games love to déluge you in objectives and NPCs screaming for help, which can be quite intimidating, but don't panic. As Twelve mentioned, feel free to ignore any non-critical NPCs calling for help. Your playable characters can generally take care of themselves, but definitely have a tendency to just take way more damage than they should, so it's often beneficial to just switch to a character on low health and help them find a heart pot or kill whatever officer is causing them problems, then switch back, since most of the time, any of them dying means you lose.

As far as objectives go, you should prioritise - objectives like killing specific officers who are starting to move will draw their route on the map when they spawn in, so you can quickly see how far they are from their destination. If their destination is a keep, you can always send one of your characters to that keep to tie them up while you do other stuff by using command mode. Once they start fighting the character you sent to their destination, switch to that character, kick their asses, then switch back to your other character (don't forget to issue a move order to the character you leave behind so they don't go running off in the wrong direction).

In general, command mode is really powerful and you should be using it frequently! Playable characters can almost always take care of an objective without needing backup as long as you are actively controlling them, so you can station characters in different parts of the map so that you can instantly respond to an objective by just switching to the nearest character.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

My physical copy didn't include a code to get stuff in the Wii U version.:smith:

It should absolutely have one, it's in the box as a piece of paper:

If it's not in there, either someone tampered with the game before you got it or the packaging plant hosed up, so maybe the retailer or Nintendo's support can help.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, I didn't get any insert. Not even the one behind your code. I'll try calling Nintendo.

Yeah, if the box was still shrink-wrapped when you got it, the packaging plant hosed up. If it wasn't shrink-wrapped, someone obviously stole the code and the place you bought it from is being poo poo. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Unlocking Kokiri sword 2 on Linkle and actually having bomb arrows takes her from "Very good" to "Holy poo poo".

It's really weird you have to do that considering bomb arrows are touted as her big thing, but yes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bloodly posted:

It reminds me of Dynasty Warriors 8(Also hints of 4, in a way). See, you unlock your C5 and C6 by levelling, most of the time. Some EX moves are on the C5 and C6, and such can't be accessed. And EX moves are pretty much the best attacks of the weapon-even when they're not attacks and are just a buff.

Yeah, the DW8 levelling mechanics were not the best.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Has anyone found the piece of heart on the square directly north of the starting Adventure Mode square in Legends? Looking around online it should appear when you take a fort, but that's not the case for me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Folt The Bolt posted:

I haven't actually done it, but it's for Skull Kid, right?

It's got a question mark next to it for me, so that would make sense. IGN says it's for Link but I'm pretty sure their Legends guide is just a copy-paste of the WiiU guide. :(

Do you automatically get all the rewards when you beat an adventure mode level with the right rank, even ones that require a search? e.g. if I beat 7-8 with an A rank and then later come back and find the hidden reward, do I then need to beat the level again to earn it, or is it earned from when I found it?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Folt The Bolt posted:

You need to beat the level again (with an A rank if it's a gold reward) with the character who can benefit from the reward in question or, if it's on the map itself, take the character it belongs and find it during the mission. Note that if you can bring multiple characters, one of them has to be the character who can get the reward, though as long as they are brought with to the mission, they will get it if the requirements are fulfilled.

Also, if a reward's got a question mark next to it, then you don't have a character who can earn it and must unlock characters until you find the character who can get it. The map you're talking about requires Skull Kid for both the A Rank Reward and the treasure hidden on the map, and Skull Kid is found and can be unlocked in the area of the Adventure Map that unlocks once you've done the Ocarina of Time missions in Legend Mode.

Thanks! I guess I'll come back to adventure mode once I've finished Legends. I've been dicking around with it because I wanted fairy dressup.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

WilliamAnderson posted:

Question: Do A Ranks on Adventure mode still require to take like no damage in Legends?

So far they're all stuff like "take less than 4000 damage" but I'm not very far in.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's player damage, and it seems to only track damage you take while controlling a character. You can hit pause to see the value (as well as time elapsed).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

Oh my god, Toon Link's introductory cutscene when you're fighting against him :3:

He gets dizzy when he uses a musou attack and out of breath when he storm rushes, too. :kimchi:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is there a trick to playing Midna? She seems to do gently caress all damage and all her attacks move her way too far forward to reliably keep hitting officers.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So somewhat surprisingly, the N3DS version of Hyrule Warriors Legends runs better than the wii-u version

It's great how the first minute and a half of the video shows o3DS footage labelled "New 3DS."

mastajake posted:

I actually find Midna to be one of the easiest to play.

Cool, thanks, I'll try spamming those. :)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
How does the amiibo stuff work, exactly? If I have Ganondorf amiibo, does that only give me Ganondorf weapons?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Up to five times a day, you can scan an Amiibo figure. The Ganondorf Amiibo will indeed give you weapons for Ganondorf but only after you've unlocked him as a playable character, until that point it just gives you the random prizes that non-Zelda Amiibos can give, which is weapons for other characters, Rupees, or materials.

Thanks!

Are the random prizes just any tier/any rarity? I'm debating getting an amiibo for this dumb game, but only if it's just going to give me T3 weapons for any character rather than limited to just one.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I am playing Legends and it’s weirdly fun. It’s my first Musou game and I can’t shake the feeling that it kind of sucks as a game but I keep playing it and enjoying myself

No, Musou games are actually largely good and Hyrule Warriors is one of the best.

I have no idea how we ended up in a world where Musou is the best use of the Zelda IP in years and the Zelda Musou is one of the best Musou games in year, but there we go.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Your Computer posted:

While I found it surprisingly playable on the old 3DS (to the point where I no longer agree with the goon consensus of "don't buy HWL for O3DS"), it feels incredibly good to play this with a decent framerate.

The main reason people keep saying to stay away from it on o3DS isn't the framerate, but the fact that the enemy density on o3DS is roughly a third of the N3DS' enemy density, and the game doesn't adjust KO targets to match.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
C-stick will switch between lock-on targets when there's more than one in range, but it's the C-stick, which is terrible. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

tithin posted:

I don't suppose that there's anyway to improve the C stick is there? because it is loving atrocious

There is, and it involves pulling it out and throwing it in the trash, where it belongs: https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/44spty/i_replaced_my_cstick_with_a_psp_analog_stick/

I've done this and I can confirm it works a lot better than the standard C-stick and doesn't prevent the N3DS from closing. Don't actually throw the C-stick nub away since you can just tuck it back in if you ever need to send the 3DS in for repairs or whatever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

tithin posted:

Neat, you're a life saver.

Gonna have to find somewhere that sells psp1000 nubs though, those things were great.

I got mine off eBay but they're not exactly hard to find.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dizz posted:

Thank you so much for this.

You're welcome.

Sadly, it's still not a proper thumbstick because of the way the underlying mechanism works (basically it detects input when you push against the bit under the C-stick), but it's at least a million times more usable since your thumb can actually rest on it to use it.

I really wish Nintendo would do a proper second thumbstick for the N3DS. :sigh:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Less silly than the GameCube controller at least.

It is the opposite of less silly than the Gamecube controller, but it's also not that bad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

tithin posted:

I actually watched that video this morning and it looks super easy. is it really so easy as just using a screwdriver to push up the nub, and slotting in a psp nub in its place? :psyduck:

If you don't care about ripping the little bit of rubber that is designed to keep the C-stick rubber nub attached to the inside of the 3DS (and keep in mind it will stay in position even without that bit of rubber), yes, it's that simple, although I would use tweezers (or even just your nails) instead of a screwdriver. It took me about 10 seconds, and half of that was lining up the PSP joystick cap to get it to sit right.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Press the heavy attack button when your pew-pew meter is empty (for example, right after starting a map) :3:

I think it's just generally pressing Y outside of an attack string, rather than holding it. If you mash it at the end of an X chain you'll sometimes go to her taunt after the bomb arrow because the game read an additional Y press.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

I want to beat the Legend Mode stuff entirely before doing the Adventure Mode, right?

Is co-op a thing on 3DS or is that only on the Wii U? Not a big deal if it's absent, I'm just kind of curious how it'd work with the character-swapping stuff.

What does the Wii U code I got with the game grant to a Wii U player?

Is the season pass worth getting or should I wait and see what the content is like?

Yes (because it unlocks a bunch of stuff fast).

No, it's WiiU-only.

The code adds the 3DS-exclusive characters to WiiU (Linkle, Toon Link, King of Hyrule, Tetra and Skull Kid).

There's no real reason to get it now, so you may as well wait and see.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Keiya posted:

I'm still not sure what y'all mean with things like "C3".

It's the position of the Y button in your attack chain (the C stands for Charge, for some reason).

C1 is Y, C2 is XY, C3 is XXY, etc.: http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Charge_Attacks

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

If Fi is dancing around uncontrollably then you went too far into her light attack string. Never go right to the end of it, it sucks.

Her being so mobile while attacking actually makes it pretty easy to (literally) dance around groups of enemies while setting up her longer combos. Her C5 and C6 are pretty effective, just remember to use C1 to charge up with light whenever the bar empties.

For some reason, the officer AI will get utterly confused by Fi's twirls and just not block her light attack chain sometimes, too. Beyond that, it's just really good at clearly trashing while moving you forward, and she's actually fun to play.

It's dumb that she doesn't have something that chains into refilling the light meter.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NT Plus posted:

Fire Emblem Warriors is a thing I would buy.

It would require barely a fraction of the effort put into Zelda Musou, even, since it's mostly just humans with swords/spears/axes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i'm picturing sonic in smash warriors and he seems like he'd be a lot of fun to play as if you can do stuff like boost through crowds of mooks and homing attack generals to death

Mash Y to add a spin-dash to the end of any attack chain which just bowls through mooks in front of you. Hit Y in mid-air for a homing attack, up to 3 times.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

defeating enemies fills the boost meter. hold y on the ground to boost at high speed and consume it

sonic would be the best at getting to objectives

Press Y while running to ball up and deal damage to whatever you're moving through.

Just make Sonic a pure movement-based character. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I assume the chance of Legends getting a wii-u release is slim to none, right? Game looks so fuckin ugly on the 3ds that I really don't wanna buy it..

It's never happening, but you can get all the Legends-exclusive characters on WiiU.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

mabels big day posted:

I think its dumb that the "Vs Legend" attribute increases damage to Linkle, because she is not canon, nor a legendary hero. She's a delusional maniac.

She's legendarily awesome, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I have to ask. What's the "C1-C5"? I figure you're talking about the Strong attack combo finishers? And if so what's the abbreviation used for Light attacks?

The position of your strong attack in the attack chain: http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Charge_Attacks

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Right. At what point/level of difficulty does such strategy become crucial? I'll admit I'm just working my way through normal difficulty and having a blast more or less smashing buttons and letting the acrobatics get the best of me without any thought of "good" move sets. And that's working just fine.

Adventure mode is a lot harder than normal Legends mode, but regardless of that, there are some good and bad attack chains for each character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The_Final_Stand posted:

Question: If I already own HW on WiiU (with much of the DLC), and have a regular 3DS, is it worth me getting Legends?

It's not worth getting Legends on an old 3DS. It's a New-3DS-only game in all but name.

• Locked thread