Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm so bad at getting A rank on anything that requires me to avoid damage. Either that or I get hosed by something stupid - how do I know how many enemies I need to kill in a stage to get A rank? Some it's 1000, others it's some arbitrary number above that.
It's so annoying to spend 10 minutes on a stage and then get a B because I didn't kill enough enemies, ESPECIALLY when the stages time you. I just don't think I'll ever unlock some stuff.

Also do the NPC characters mirror yours? Sheik is the character I play the most and she's level 50 whereas everyone else is in the mid 30s and if I encounter Sheik in a level she's killing some characters in just a few hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Vanrushal posted:

So for shits and giggles I played a level 99 Network Link with L52 Ganondorf. Beat it in one go, gained 2 levels, and probably spent upward of half an hour beating it. I wouldn't recommend playing that far out of your league, but it is doable if you're so inclined. Sheik was the commander and ended up being way easier than the generals somehow; they were tanks and took forever to die whereas Sheik went down almost immediately. :v:

Are you sure that the level of the network link actually makes a difference? When I first started adventure mode (I was maybe level 20) I did a network link level for one that was level 99 and did absolutely fine.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bruceski posted:

It took me something like 15 attempts and I gained 20 levels (each time the issue was damage, not KOs or time, except one time I got KOs and damage but cleared it in 15:02)

I'm on that one now but the gauntlet is so ridiculously slow that I can't really avoid being hit!

Does anyone know which map square is Sheik's level 3 harp? I know you can go over them and see who it is, but when it's darkened out it's really hard to tell which one is Sheik. Plus what is it that the goddess harp does to butterflies? So you get a stone - what does that do? I'm sure the manual says it somewhere but I really cannot find it!

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 2, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's near the very top of the map. Good luck with that though.

Any level I can control Sheik I'll be okay.
I'm baffled by people loving Ganon - his special attacks are too slow and you can get hit during them which means I'm never going to get an "A" on a stage where I can only play as him.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Good news, it's surrounded by really hard Ganon missions and needs A ranks to reach!

Yep. I can't do them. I think I'm done with the game anyway now - most of what I have left to do is for characters that I really don't enjoy playing - which is basically everyone other than Sheik and Link!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

greatn posted:

You can use the pro controller.

But they're £40. It's total bollocks that it won't let you use the classic controller.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I find it so hard getting an A rank on any of the larger maps. There's just too much stuff to focus on at once - not being damaged, doing it quickly, killing enough enemies, defending the base.
I don't know WHAT I can do with the Ganon levels at the top right of the adventure map, it's so extremely hard.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Viridiant posted:

Do you get penalized for killing too many enemies, or do you have different KO requirements for different weapons? On one map I got an A for killing over 500 enemies with Impa using the Giant Sword, then on the same map using Impa again with a Naginata I got a B for killing over 600.

This is what confuses me, I think there might be some sort of formula based on how long you've taken and how many enemies you've killed?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yuki Akuma posted:

Killing about 1,200 enemies will get you an A rank on most adventure maps. Challenge maps have different requirements. Your rank always increases the more enemies you kill - you won't be punished for killing too many, unless of course that causes you to go over fifteen minutes (which is the cut off point for A ranking on time).

Basically, in adventure maps, your final rank is based on your ranks in KOs, time and damage taken. Each of the three categories is separate and has no relation to the others. You can only get an A for the map if you get A ranks in all three categories.

I've definitely had a B for 12 minutes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yuki Akuma posted:

In an adventure map? I'm fairly sure every adventure map has the exact same requirements for an A.

Challenge maps all seem to be different - I've gotten Bs on time on the "kill x00 enemies in ten minutes" maps, for instance.

There's only one challenge map isn't there? I only have one anyway.
Yea it's the adventure maps. It's one of those situations for me now where all I have is places that need As but either I take too long, I kill too few enemies or even take a little too much damage and end up just wasting 10 minutes. I'd gladly throw these places onto easy if that was an option.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tengames posted:

its worse with the "all attacks are devistating!" ones. A mook bumped into you? 9999 damage, C rank.

Those are fine because it's not too difficult to avoid being hit when all the enemies die in a single blow. There's a few that are a bit harder - the Fiery Aelfos one comes to mind because they swoop at you and can hit you without you noticing.
Still at least when you play them if you do die you've wasted at most 2 or 3 minutes. Not 10. Seriously sometimes it's just impossible to avoid damage and it makes collecting heart containers utterly pointless. Why do I care if I have 10 hearts or 300 if I lose the game when I take 3 hearts of damage regardless?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mayheim posted:

I wish there was a button to send network links away, I don't really want to do a level 80 missions for a bronze material item.

Has anyone conclusively proved that the level of the network link makes a difference? The network link levels are harder than normal levels (it tells you so) but like I said up thread I've done some level 99 ones at level 20 and it was harder than a normal level but not level 99 hard.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

yo these adventure mode missions where you run through an empty map to fight just 2-3 officers in a keep kinda suck poo poo and makes the pretty lousy weak point system really stand out

They're some of my favourites because it's so easy to get an A on them. Unless you have to fight an imprisoned one in them, gently caress that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The one where you fight The Imprisoned and two mini Imprisoneds in a tiny keep as Fi owned

It took me like 20 minutes and I got a C on it but it still owned

That's one of my least favourite levels. Fi is annoying to control and I feel like the Imprisoned hurts you sort of arbitrarily.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The trick with the Imprisoned if you have bad ranged game like Fi is to bait the lightning attack by staying far away, then run under him and use YYYYYX. The lightning can never hit you if you're right under him. ou never get stomped because you're too far and you never get lightning'd because you're under him when it goes off. Only things that can hurt you are him falling over and him belly sliding.

I don't really play like that, it's too hard for me to plan combos in that sort of way. I did do the level, just not with an A. And realistically for most levels if you haven't done it with an A you might as well not have done it at all.

When I do use them I find that I'm getting hit during them too. Like I mentioned before it's especially bad with Ganon, all of his combos are crazily slow and you're ALWAYS getting hit by it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

mabels big day posted:

What's your least favorite enemy captain to fight? Mines Dinolfos

The giant monster that shoots the eye beam. gently caress that thing. It's really fast - so you can't ignore it entirely in the kill x monsters levels - and sometimes it'll go for AGES without doing the beam so you're just running around waiting and waiting to do it any damage.

Also if you're using any character other than Sheik you're doing it wrong.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

deepshock posted:

In my experience, Manhandla is also the most capable giant boss when it comes to stalking players over the length and width of the map and being unignorable. Its sheer girth also makes it hard to run past it in cases where you can't run away from it. There have been a lot of times when I ran away from it, dealt with a cluster of mooks, and had that thing right in my face 30 seconds later.

Weirdly it's the exact opposite for me, I'm alwayas so glad when it's a Manhandla because it's so easy to ignore. The beam eye thing is the most annoying because it's so loving fast.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wild Knight posted:

Word. I still haven't A ranked that baton mission but I got drat close with my fiancee helping me out. Wizzro and occasionally Ghirahim keep tripping us up though. And sometimes Volga.

But just having an extra human on the field who can handle the red faction while you take the yellows is amazing help.

It's a shame that other human also has to be really good though - it's very hard to control with the nunchuck (you can't move the camera as well) and if I have someone with me they're always getting hit because of that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fix posted:

What is VS dragon? I don't think I've ever seen a VS skill.

All I've ever had are useless skills - bomb+ or strength IV or whatever, that are really situational and never worth moving stuff about for.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hell, I haven't even gotten +Bomb...it's all Strength (roman numeral), +Element, or +Rupees/Mats/Hearts/Slots. How do you get those skills?

Bomb+ was an unlock skill. I think having to get Skulltulas to get the better abilities is bollocks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I wish the adventure map had difficulty settings. There's so many maps (especially on the master quest) that I just can't do because I'm so useless with that paticular character and it's really frustrating having to wait until I have someone around who wants to play it with me so I can actually do stuff.
I've tried Volga's level 3 weapon around 4 times now and each time I lose my base when the dragon turns up.

And the amount of squares on the master quest that are some arbitrary thing to unlock them (tree/flute I'm looking at you) or have hidden monsters is really annoying! I know the tree/flute thing is from one of the games but still, it's a pain.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

mabels big day posted:

gently caress traitor missions on the master quest dlc. There's one with Zelda on the twilight field map and it's just impossible. Manhandla stalks, needing to capture every keep till you kill the leaders, and all these traitorous soldiers are marching all over your base.

The traitor ones are the ones I feel you need a second player in. There's just not enough time for you to both fight the enemies AND constantly backtrack because someone weak is getting beaten up by your own troops.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

chumbler posted:

Yeah the imprisoned just flat out sucks. It's not that he's hard. Far from it, he's probably the easiest giant boss unless you're fighting three simultaneously. His mini versions are more difficult than he is. He just takes. So. Long. To fight and doing so isn't remotely fun.

All the giant bosses are irritating though, one of the worst parts of the game is just running around waiting for King Dodongo to inhale or whatever the hell.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

mabels big day posted:

Yeah it's really annoying to have high leveled characters but still only have two special attack meters, and hardly any defense badges, because everyone wants 2 silver boss materials in every category. The only boss material that I actually have any of is Dodongo because Ruto is the only one who uses it.

All the people who need the dragon are the hardest because it's in barely any stages.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Flytrap posted:

There's a quick easy Adventure map where you fight two of them and a Manhandla.

Where?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668508&pagenumber=82&perpage=40#post437359142

And yeah, both the Adventure Map and Master Quest levels with the 2 Argorok's and 1 Manhandla are pretty easy to do in 3 minutes or less.

Oh I'm not up there yet, the levels around require As to progress.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

Question: Is there a point in buying the DLC before I finish the vanilla game? It's going to take me a ton of time to play through the vanilla content, but if the DLC will open up new weapons for me to play with in it, I'll pay whatever Nintendo is asking.

There's some 8 bit weapons for characters. Those 8 bit weapons have the same stats as the level 3 weapon so if you cannot reach them in the vanilla content then your prayers are answered in the master quest. For example I can't get to Sheiks because I can't A-rank the Ganon level I have to play to reach it but doing it on the master quest was quite easy!

Incidentally giving Sheik a damage shield and nobody else in a game like this is so utterly crazy. I never play as any other character unless I'm forced to, she's just too good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Count Uvula posted:

Sheik is pretty boring to play though. I would only follow this advice if you're having difficulty with something.

Sheik attacks quickly and dodges really well, plus she cannot be attacked when doing her X moves. What more could you want? gently caress other characters (like Ganon) who can be attacked.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AccountingNightmare posted:

All of this stuff is in the manual I think, but it's worth mentioning. :)

Is any of the information about people's specialities in there? I feel like it isn't because until this thread I didn't have a loving clue what the notes under Sheik's name meant. Hell with most of them I still don't have a clue, like Zant's power bar or Zelda's little balls.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AccountingNightmare posted:

No, it doesn't look like there's any character-specific info.

That's really, really stupid.

And I wish I knew people who were good at the game because getting in friends to help with most levels isn't much good since they take too much damage.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wild Knight posted:

what's that i'm sorry i can't hear you over my super-long fire breath that clears out an entire keep in one fell swoop

Volga is also the hardest to fight against, I just can't do Wizzro's level 2 weapon because there's no healing and Volga comes along and fucks me up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've been trying a few level 2 weapon levels for people I don't use very much and I really can't do some, like Ghairim (I can't even spell his name) because there just aren't enough enemies to get to 1200 kills in 15 minutes. I'm not even sure what to do about this other than maybe pad out fighting in keeps but there's not even very many enemies in those either!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Attack the Cucco.

I did, I was at about 1070 by the end. I tried to pad it out but I ended up killing the end boss just before I could kill enough enemies.

The most frustrating thing about the entire game is it feels like such a titanic waste of your time if you don't get an A, especially if it was a hard fought level. Seventeen minutes wasted doing the Ganon level 3 weapon just to fail because I took seventeen minutes instead of fifteen, hurrah. Or even when it's 15 minutes and X seconds, that's probably the worst.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

You do get to retain your drops and XP if you finish a map and get a B though, so your next attempt will be easier. I mean it is kinda a waste of time, but the whole game is a grindy time waster.

For the most part though the XP and drops don't make much of a difference. I guess it's starting to feel like for me the stuff I have got left I really need a second person present who isn't going to take a lot of damage. If only there was a cheat that let you play whoever you want on every level, I'd snap that up in a heartbeat.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

You sort of wonder how they're going to fill an entire map with only 6 weapon squares available.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

BleiddWhitefalcon posted:

:stonk:

Holy poo poo, the Gauntlets are loving good. They turned Link from 'good but kinda boring' to 'unkillable death god'.

I did the level 3 gauntlet level and somehow got a C in damage even though I never saw my health move, most frustrating thing ever. There's SO MANY ENEMIES in it though and when you're swinging around you're getting like 50 kills at a time, it's loads of fun.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cobalt Chloride posted:

You know what else is the best? The boss animation for Ruto.

The game would improve 1000x if you could turn off all the animations for everyone. I don't need to see King Dodongo fall onto the battlefield for the fiftieth time thanks. And it always makes you wait a little before you can skip it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Volga's really the problem - I usually don't get hit by Manhandla, especially as Wizzro who just carves giant bosses apart

I just can't do this level at all. Volga hurts me too much and I just can't get into the habit of blocking so when I do fight Mandala I've got like half a heart of health left.

The biggest "gently caress you" in this game is it not allowing you to use the Classic Controller for player 2. gently caress you for trying to get me to buy a Pro.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's absolutely bullshit that the Wii U doesn't get the adventure packs but can buy the characters. I feel sort of ripped off that I've got Linkle and such but getting their weapons is extra super random.

I think they did reduce the requirements for a few levels though. Either that or being away from the game for a year has suddenly made me really good. I've done about six levels and got weapons in them that I couldn't even complete before, let alone get A ranks.

It'd be nice if there was some sort of cheat to blast few levels that are blocking you though. There's nothing worse than spending 15 minutes on a level and losing at the last second because the allied base fell or getting a B because you took 15 seconds too long or etc etc. Like I'm basically locked out of the very top left of the Adventure Quest map because there's no way I can do Lana's summoning gate level on my own and my girlfriend isn't good enough at the game to avoid taking damage unfortunately.
I just want to see some other stuff!

There's a link level that ends with fighting gigantic Ganon as well which I can't do and since each time it takes about 15/20 minutes by the end of it I get killed because I totally forget what to use and when on Ganon. Then I have to do it all again, so I just quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

YggiDee posted:

Has anyone else been paying attention to the Linebeck swap thing? I assumed it was random but now I'm pretty sure each item gives you a specific food back.

Also, is it worth it trying to manage multiple faries, or should I just pick the one with the best clothing options and focus on her?

Are we even talking about Hyrule Warriors here?

• Locked thread