Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Your Computer posted:

Also, do enemies some times spawn infinitely even when there isn't an outpost anywhere nearby? In one mission I failed the mission because I was defending the keep from seemingly ever-spawning mooks until eventually a different keep fell and we lost.

When defending, keep an eye out for unlabeled bigger enemies, ie Bokoblins, Stalfos, etc. They can be hard to pick out, especially since you won't be able to lock-on to them, but if you get rid of them you should get a message saying that the enemy forces have withdrawn. It doesn't seem to be entirely consistent, sometimes it feels like it's just wave after wave of tiny shits that never stop, but it is something to look out for.

If you do get into a situation where it's just the little guys, do your best to thin them out then let your buddies handle it. Fortify a nearby keep then check back in to see if it's still a mess. It'll get sorted out eventually.

Vanrushal fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

My NNID is Vanrushal, add me and all your wildest dreams will come true! As long as those dreams involve earning cool weapons/mats and not much else I guess.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

So for shits and giggles I played a level 99 Network Link with L52 Ganondorf. Beat it in one go, gained 2 levels, and probably spent upward of half an hour beating it. I wouldn't recommend playing that far out of your league, but it is doable if you're so inclined. Sheik was the commander and ended up being way easier than the generals somehow; they were tanks and took forever to die whereas Sheik went down almost immediately. :v:

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Yeah, sounds about right. I had to just run around and take pot shots at the Dinos until they decided to reveal their weak points if they were grouped up, but alone they were easy enough to spam YX, mash, dodge, juggle and repeat. Ended up with a merely ok T3 spear and the same amount of money I'd have earned if I'd done one at my level, what a gyp.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Taear posted:

Are you sure that the level of the network link actually makes a difference? When I first started adventure mode (I was maybe level 20) I did a network link level for one that was level 99 and did absolutely fine.

The Dinolfos were notably harder to kill than say Shield Moblins on harder stages. It felt less like "this is supposed to be challenging" and more like "you might want to come back to this". I don't know if it was the stage or the Link level but fighting them was a slog.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Wind Waker dudes would fit in just fine. Have you looked at the Bokoblins and Moblins? Those things are already cartoons. Link and Tetra would be good additions, sure, but what we really need is some Medli and Makar action.

Also even if you have friends for Network Links or none at all, you'll still get random Links showing up too. That's how the level 99 ones showed up for me, I think I've only had one or two dudes on my list pop up so far.

JordanKai posted:

I need Punch Wizard Ganondorf in my life.

Do C5 for Warlock Fist. :haw:

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

How do you do screenshots again? I've pressed the Home button when I want to get a screen but I'm not seeing an option for it.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Using a harp reveals enemies on that square. If you tried to access the stage without using the harp, there'd be no enemies and thus no stage.

Also Shiek's L3 weapon is 2nd row, 2nd to last column.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Locking on to an enemy before their cutscene triggers is pretty fun too. Is there an ETA for when the patch is released?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Ganondorf is amazing for the sheer amount of mooks he can destroy quickly, which is great for taking keeps asap. You have free choice of combos there since lesser baddies will let you do whatever you want. When fighting tougher enemies, the only combo you're really going to want to use if they're not stunned is YX which is relatively quick and pops them into the air so you can keep beating on them. YYX also does extremely good weak point damage, but I find it difficult to use on the fly. There's also the option of letting them expose their weak point and throwing bombs, which is good to keep in mind no matter who you're playing. Personally I love the dorf; killing everything in your vicinity in one combo is p goddamned fantastic.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Well Agitha just surprised the hell out of me. The Imprisoned is usually an unfun slog no matter who I play as, but Agitha mauled the poo poo out of it. Gave her a weapon with Strong Attack+ and Strength V which powers up her beetle charge combo, giving her the ability to kill all the Imprisoned's toes as soon as he finishes regenerating them without using Special. She's not exactly super speedy at breaking the weak point, but using XXY, dodge, repeat kept it down to 2 cycles per weak break. So far I'd thought that she's pretty lackluster, but taking care of the shittiest boss in the game so handily makes her a-ok in my book.

Now someone tell me how to fight it as Zant because god drat. :suicide:

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Taear posted:

I don't really play like that, it's too hard for me to plan combos in that sort of way. I did do the level, just not with an A. And realistically for most levels if you haven't done it with an A you might as well not have done it at all.

When I do use them I find that I'm getting hit during them too. Like I mentioned before it's especially bad with Ganon, all of his combos are crazily slow and you're ALWAYS getting hit by it.

If it looks like you're going to get hit during any given combo, especially before you've used your heavy attack, dodge cancel out and away. Most attack strings can be canceled and allow you to safely start again. If you're locked on to a dangerous enemy but need to smack some mooks or whatever for meter, just use Y combos and dodge instead of finishing them. Or get right up next to the Imprisoned while he's walking, Y combo on his foot, then dodge away when he brings it down.

Just be careful if you're using a character whose combos take them into the air, have them jump, etc; you won't be able to dodge out of those until they touch the ground.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

chumbler posted:

The butterfly mode attacks all seem to miss even when you're directly over top of some enemies. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like the only way to hit people with them is for them to have been launched first.

I've had similar results with the Y attacks, but at least X hits things at the cost of ending flight.

I want to get a WiiU Pro controller for Bayonetta 2, can I use it for single-player in HW or am I stuck with the gamepad only?

vvv - Great, guess I'm gonna go pick one up then!

Vanrushal fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 4, 2014

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

mastajake posted:

How are you guys A-ranking stuff with Ganondorf? I love playing him, as anyone should, but he keeps getting hit during his combos.

If you're fighting trash go ahead and finish your combos, any damage taken will be negligible but honestly you probably won't get hit. If you're fighting enemies higher than captain status either wait for them to reveal their weak point and/or only use Y combos (or a launcher if it's fast enough, usually done with YX) and dodge cancel them liberally. This applies to every character. Except Sheik I guess cause Sheik just don't give a gently caress.

Also if you do find yourself stuck in an un-dodge-cancelable move and are about to eat poo poo, you can use your Special to go invincible. Might be able activate Magic for a similar result, haven't tried it myself.

Vanrushal fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 6, 2014

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Agitha can hop onto her butterfly by pressing X after YYYX or YYYYX (which are both p good crowd-clearing attacks) while she's still in the air. From there you can combo a bit with Y and/or divebomb and do it again. She's also kinda hard to hit while flying. If you're fighting a captain 1-on-1 and have time to kill, just hit them with YX over and over again. I do find her to be relatively unwieldy, but that's been my gameplan with her.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

chumbler posted:

Ghirahim has his BBBYY. In fact that is Ghirahim's only combo. He has no other combos, and it is rude to give him the false hope that he might.

Ghirahim's YXX is instant point breaker on non-bosses except maybe re-deads/gibdos because they're cheating assholes. Anyway, that combo is really goddamn good and if their weak point isn't exposed, it even recovers quickly enough that you can start a new Y string while your opponent is recovering. Also YYYYX is fantastic for taking keeps.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I liked Zant at first because holy gently caress spin to win owns bones. Then I hated Zant because it took forever to kill anything with a decent HP pool. Now I think I've got the hang of him and have figured out that hey, at least YYYX is actually useful if I don't spam the poo poo out of it and overdose on crazy meter. And YX is great because it doesn't give crazy meter unless you press X again.

His finishers are still absolute poo poo at smashing boss weak points. The best I have for that is spam Y until he does the horizontal spin, then dodge and do it again. Finally A-ranked that Imprisoned on Skyloft map, glad that miserable poo poo is over with. Zant is now my highest-level character by about 10 levels due to how long it took me to form a gameplan with him.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

I know, I've been waiting, but for some reason, so far I've had a power bracelet, two compasses and two bombs respawn but no candles! I'm sure I'll get there.

The two maps that are killing me are still the fiery aerolfos devstating attack (even with the bow) and Fi vs. 3 Imprisoned. I'll try them each a few times and then probably get a few Legendary mode hard skulltulas if I get frustrated.

You can dodge cancel the recovery animations of a lot of things including shooting arrows, so that should help with the aerolfos if you're not doing it already. For the Imprisoned fight, focus on taking the little ones out first. Try to keep within walking range of the big one so you don't have to deal with lightning, and always make sure the little guys aren't gearing up for their own attacks before you start yours. If one is sliding around like an idiot, go kill his friend for example. Take your time, with those stages you can afford to go slow. When you get around to the big guy, manually attack his toes until he gets to the point where each step he takes makes red shockwaves, then special him down. Unless you have enough special meter and damage in general to unload from the get-go, then go nuts. Also YYYYYX (the colored fire attack) is probably the best combo for taking down his weak point I think?

I've made some posts about a couple character's YX combos being good, but last night it really clicked that these things are great for setting up combos on enemies who like to block a lot. If you can catch them with their guard initially down, you get a free set of three hits until they start blocking, so YX to pop them into the air then mash Y to start a new ground combo and finish into whatever. The enemy should be helpless since they'll be in a juggle state the entire time. It's really helpful for when your foe just doesn't feel like exposing his weak point and you need to get some solid damage in. And even if you're not doing a whole bunch of damage per hit, being able to combo into a even a Y finisher should make the whole thing worth the time and effort. Should they have their weak point exposed and it takes more than 3 hits to smash, YX should also do the job for that too!

This works for most characters I've tried it with - sword Link (wait 'til you're back on the ground before going into Y again), naginata Impa, Ganondorf, Zant, Ghirahim, Ruto, rapier Zelda. Does not seem to work with Agitha (Volga for example always recovered out of it on the way down) and I suspect Darunia because of the insane recovery (although it's p much a guaranteed weak point smash), not sure about the rest. This might be common knowledge to some, but I'm p happy I figured out a way of dealing with blockers outside of "wait for them to do something stupid".

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Somewhere in Nintendo, when this game was produced, there was a button labeled MORE POES and a button labeled LESS POES.

Some guy fell asleep on the first button, never noticed, and then shipped out a level.

That was how Link's Level 3 Gloves mission happened.

Get back to me when you get to Ruto's Level 3 weapon. :suicide:

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Flytrap posted:

First you deal with the bombchu's and that sucks because his combo stops moving forward halfway so you can't chase them all that well

Easy way to keep up with bombchus as any character is to just use weak attacks and dodge-run ahead of it when it gets out of range and repeat. If you have a character with a forward-moving combo like Link's shield charge or Fi's rush those work too though they may overshoot. You'll either kill the thing on the way to its destination or have whittled it down a good deal by the time it stops moving. They're not too big a threat unless you completely ignore them.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

If you're really looking to farm a specific weapon, you can replay the stage you unlocked that weapon from. You still need to A-rank it to get the chest, but I think your bonus skills affect it instead of getting the default blank version.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Earlier tonight I fought Baton Zelda in Darunia's Level 3 weapon stage. She didn't seem to ever want to expose her weak point, so that was fun.

Also gently caress the Summoning Gate and gently caress the Great Fairy. I'm trying to brute force level 3 Gate atm and it's so goddamn miserable. Stupid thing can't break weak points for poo poo, so Impa and Link take forever to go down. I have the stage figured out but I lose out on time due to those two. I imagine level 3 Fairy is going to be just as horrible since every combo finisher lasts as long as a special attack and I can't imagine it's much better in the weak point department. Urgh.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Go Twilight Princess path so you get the Hookshot, which you'll need for Heart Pieces/Skulltulas in the other paths.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm having trouble with Zant's level 3 weapon. The problem is one I haven't encountered before - I can't do it fast enough. I can kill Fi and Sheik quickly, but the two Aerolfos captains are very slow and then Girahim in particular takes forever. Seriously Girahim took me like 5 minutes chipping away at his health. How can I make this go faster? I have a 5 star level 2 weapon but even the weak point smashes do piddling damage against him.

IIRC the most damage you're going to get out of a single attack against both the Aerolfos and Ghirahim is the smash. For the Aerolfos, if you Y chain them they should start blocking then eventually push you back and start flying; this is good because now they'll either do flame breath or the plunging attack and both of those open their weak points. For Ghirahim there's the obvious wait for a weak point strategy but that takes too long, so what I did was give him a second to do an attack that exposed a weak point and if he didn't, launched him with YX then did a full Y combo. The combo doesn't do a whole bunch of damage but it is damage and it's better than waiting for him to do something dumb. This also works on the Aerolfos but depending on how much damage you're getting from smashing them you may want to stick with that. You can also try to get Strength IV and maybe Darkness+ on your weapon. If you can find some breathing room to set it up, the final energy blast on C4 does pretty good damage.

Also maybe try to have your crazy meter full/nearly full so your weapons glow red, someone itt said that gives you more damage?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I did it. I unlocked all the weapons and their tiers. Now I get to work on chipping away at Evil's Bane... and presumably every other weapon I want that skill on. :shepicide:

For Agitha's Level 3, I did the back off strat but used YYYX into butterfly instead of YYX, helped get the little guys in the air so the butterfly's Y would hit. If you plan on using the butterfly at all, put Strong Attack+ on your weapon.

Dealing with officers, try to bait out their weak points, hit them with an arrow once they do to extend their stun duration, then use YX, dodge, wait a half-second, Y; should be a guaranteed smash. Enemies generally seem to have longer recovery when their weak point is exposed anyway, but the arrow helps ensure you get into range before it goes away. You can use YX whenever, but hero enemies like Ganondorf will usually recover on the way down. This will be a helpful thing to practice for one of Agitha's A-rank Heart Containers later on.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I wish the 8-bit weapons were costumes or something. I don't like them but I'm compelled to unlock everything. It sucked when my best weapon for Link was an 8-bit Sword, I felt considerably less epic stabbing King Dodongo with a set of giant pixels.

I'm of a similar mindset, but I figure at least the 8-bit sword didn't replace Link's tier-3 sword, so it's not like they're necessarily the best weapon of their type. They're funny and goofy, but you won't be at a disadvantage using something else.

I would like to be able to swap weapon skins though. Ganondorf's tier-1 swords are the best looking by far and his tier-3 are some awful Final Fantasy garbage.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

KingEffingFrost posted:

Does anyone know how the game decides what kind of battle a Network Link will bring? I ask because the last 5 that I got from goons were all some variation of "Kill Zant". Is the game perhaps trying to tell me something about Zant?

I think it goes with level ranges. Every level 99 I've seen has been Ganon's Tower, Dinolfos, and Sheik as the commander. If you're doing a lot of Links at about the same level, you should be getting the same setup.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Use weak attacks on the Gibdos until they start charging for their scream. When their weak point is exposed, peg them with an arrow to stun them then run over and smash their weak point. For the Stalmasters, just smack them in the face then dodge behind them. This should force them to expose their weak point.

For Ganondorf in particular, YYYYYX (the giant arm swipe) is your keep-clearing combo. I like YYYYX for killing trash but the swipe is ok for that too. When fighting officers, launch them with YX, don't mash X, dodge cancel after the last hit, then just do a complete Y combo. Make sure you recognize which moves expose their weak points so you don't hit them out of the wind-up. Also dodge cancel your attacks liberally if you think you might get hit, your combo gets blocked, or you just want to reposition yourself to hit more dudes or something.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Dunban posted:

I just came here to ask for advice on that mission.

I'm also using a pretty powerful rank 3 book (392 attack or so) and my Lana is level 55, so that shouldn't be an issue. But like you said, your base is constantly under such a ridiculous amount of fire that you barely have time to trek all over the map to do all the things you need to do to clear the mission in a timely manner (kill the captains, get the fairy, kill the red commander, open the yellow base by killing that one enemy, kill the yellow commander), not to mention getting the Skulltula as well.

Don't worry about the fairy for that mission. IIRC it corresponds to the red army base, and the commander will do you the favor of heading over to your base for you. Just hang out around home clearing poo poo out and the red army will kill itself running into you. Also don't kill the white Stalmaster outside yellow's base until you're ready to end the mission. Cia will take that as her cue to head on in and if for whatever reason you take him out then go somewhere else, she could wind up dead.

Also how to exploit Volga's AI for fun and profit: he'll do his fiery plunge attack after blocking a few hits which exposes his weak point. Just close the distance, do a Y string until he blocks your hits, look for the windup and dodge behind him. Should make your encounters with him go by much faster.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Holy poo poo gently caress the "Kill 1000 enemies in 10 minutes" mission.

I hope you enjoy getting chased around by 4 Imprisoned who love to mill around the single chokepoint in the map when they're not playing nightcrawlers. And doing it with Agitha to get that Heart Container. :v:

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

On the bright side, you get the Heart Container just for beating the level, rank is not an issue.

But then, you have to actually beat it in time. With Agitha.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It's nowhere near as hard as it sounds, just do butterfly divebombs constantly.

I did that at about level 75 with Strong Attack+ on a 5-star Princess Parasol, with less than a minute to spare when I finished. It was not a particularly pleasant experience.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Eopia posted:

I think I need an intervention. I've barely been able to put this game down and now I've been hitting my head on the wall that is attempting to A rank the 1000 kills in 10 minutes mission in the upper left of the adventure map.

Also my nnid is Oloeopia I'll be adding everyone in the second post later.

I did it with Fi though I think Midna might be able to handle it as well, I think she can hit more targets with her special attack at any rate. My method was to spam the poo poo out her combo that rushes you through enemies (YYYX) and try my best to stay the hell away from the Imprisoned. Just keep plowing through the trash without taking too much incidental damage (which has a really generous threshold, I got an A at ~9.8k) and you should be good. It's basically not that different than the other "kill x enemies in 10 min" missions, but the layout of the map coupled with the Imprisoned can be a bitch.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Agitha can smash hero weak points in one go if you dodge cancel XY asap and hit them as they come down. It also helps to peg them with an arrow first so they stay stunned longer and get that extra bit of damage in to the weak point.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Eopia posted:

On a separate note, anyone know where the best place to grind the Imprisoned's Pillar is? I haven't managed to get even a single one, and I need quite a few for badges.

There's an Adventure mission where you have to kill 2 Imprisoned (and Ghirahim if you want), I'd do that one.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Wizzro is a bit weird. I don't dislike him and it's cool to be on the other side of his bullet hell attacks, but a few of them seem kinda bad. Like his BBY for instance doesn't seem to home in very well for how slow it is.

It doesn't home at all that I've seen, they just move forward like a lovely wall with a hole in the middle. You gotta dodge forward then knock dudes into it. Seems to do ok damage with splash though. I didn't have his final combo badge crafted when I played him, he feels a bit lacking. Maybe the laser makes up for it.

Cia's pretty fun, her YYXXX is a better weak point smash on heroes than YX just due to how slow the waves on YX come out. YYYYX does insane (1-shot from full combo?) damage to Ghoma's weak point, not as good against Manhandla for some reason. Feels to me like her best general-purpose combos are her fist two, so you don't need to spend too long building up to them which is nice.

Volga owns. That is all.

e - Also noticed Heart Containers for Lana and Zelda and presumably other characters in the Master Quest map. I haven't finished clearing out Legend Mode's goodies, were these new Hearts missing for them, do they start a 3rd row, or do they just override any you haven't gotten from leveling up?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4syCNa_6GY

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

BioTech posted:

Does Fi suck as much as I think? Her YYX takes forever to start and as much as I love the YYYX ramming tons of enemies it just doesn't seem enough.

YXY(X) is good for smashing hero weak points but beware its short range, YYX is hot garbage, YYYX owns use it whenever there's enemies between you and your destination, YYYYX is ok crowd clearing, YYYYYX hits very hard and I think is your best option for giant boss weak points? Fi is fun and very good at killing poo poo on the go.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

Also Groose, but I've been saying that all along. I hope all of you mentioned Groose and lack of online co-op in your Club Nintendo surveys!

I did, but only so everyone would shut up about Groose when he makes it into the game.

...Y'all will never shut up about Groose will you? :smith:

Regy Rusty posted:

Also the first time I tried his mission (it's a bit tough) a silver Cucco showed up and the game very much wanted me to kill it. Unfortunately I was overwhelmed and never made it there before it vanished. The second time around it never showed up. Anyone know what it does?

I missed that one too but took time to kill the one that showed up in Volga's Level 3 (I think?) and nothing seemed to happen. Just looked to me like a Gold Cucco painted silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

My favorite part about the on-screen messages is the priority some stuff gets. Clear out a keep on a turncoat stage, Turncoat Leader does not immediately appear, messages about every other thing happening everywhere else on the map start popping up so instead of sitting around doing nothing I figure "well I should go out and kill stuff", Turncoat Leader revealed! is the last message and THEN the loving thing spawns so I gotta turn around and go kill him. Just spawn the goddamned guy regardless if I get a message or not game, sheesh. Make them the loving Keep Boss even, just make the whole ordeal way less aggravating.

• Locked thread