Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Two quick music app questions:

1. Is there a music app that will consistently stay on either while music is playing or while it's plugged in automatically? It seems like when I'm using the Music app, it will either use the 2 minute timeout setting or just randomly turn off, which is annoying while I'm driving.

2. In Android, there was an app called Rocket Player that allowed you to play music at different speeds, but you could set that as a permanent option (say, playing all music at 1.5X speed) and play all music at that speed and use playlists. From what I can see in the App store, most apps that change this work on a one song basis, not as a permanent setting. Is there an app available that does this?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Suqit posted:

Why on earth would anyone want this?

I like hearing music at different speeds. Brings a new dimension to instrumentals among other things. :shrug:

IUG posted:

I use LeechTunes for this. The bonus is easier readability in the car.

I'll check this out, thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Boris Galerkin posted:

Huh, I guess I’ll pick up the iPad version.

What website should I follow to find app sales?

I’ve found Appsliced to be pretty helpful.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Silly Burrito posted:

Two quick music app questions:

1. Is there a music app that will consistently stay on either while music is playing or while it's plugged in automatically? It seems like when I'm using the Music app, it will either use the 2 minute timeout setting or just randomly turn off, which is annoying while I'm driving.

Thanks!

Just a heads up to anyone looking for this, Cesium does this via a setting to disable auto-lock. The app is currently $1.99 and worth every penny to me for this feature alone, but the player itself is nice if not fully intuitive on how to get back to the main screen (swipe from top) or get back to the song that is being played (press the “invisible/outlined” box at the bottom).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Weedle posted:

Spotify also keeps the screen on while charging.

Good to know. Now if I can get a podcast player that disables auto-lock as well, that would be great. Pocket Casts goes dark too.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Is there a non-jailbreak Kodi equivalent that allows me to copy my kids ripped DVDs/MKV files from my NAS to an iPad and display/play them with the movie posters, artwork and such?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Weedle posted:

If you have a PC in the house, you could set up a Plex server. You could also run Plex directly on the NAS but that’s generally not a great experience unless you have a really nice one.

Thanks, but I’m thinking of more of a mobile experience. Right now they have cheap Fire tablets and a side loaded Kodi for long car trips. Santa is bringing two iPads, so I was thinking of loading it up in a similar way if I could.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you talking about loading the iPad up with various media locally?

Then either VLC or Infuse should do the trick (not sure about VLC, but Infuse is pretty decent Plex client).

Yes, exactly. I’m assuming with VLC, I would just have a list of files to play, not the movie posters and descriptions and everything else. Which ultimately will work too, just didn’t know if Kodi had an iOS equivalent for local media. Thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dicty Brojangles posted:

nPlayer does pretty well at this.

This may be exactly what I’m looking for. I see there’s a lite and plus version too. Need to figure out what the differences are. Thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Thank you thank you thank you! I had no idea this existed, but man does it work nicely.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PirateDentist posted:

I like Pocket Casts. It does have a subscription option, but for how I use it I have never once wanted the "premium" features for watch playback and cloud storage. No real core features are paywalled out IIRC.

And honestly, if you delete the Pocket Casts watch app, it will let you use the default music controls to skip forward and skip ads.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

~Coxy posted:

Can anyone recommend a video player app that can play off SMB shares? Paid is fine as long as it actually works worth a drat.

Nplayer?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Warbird posted:

Have there been any new contenders in the ebook reader arena or is everyone still using Marvin3/kybook3? I’m getting by just fine with the built in book app but I’d be open to using something else that does it better (preferably still being developed, unlike the two mentioned ones).

Booklover for me, but I’m using it for comics and magazines. If it would sync genres and data it would be perfect but the author states that they’re working on an overhaul that will do this as we speak.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I used to use Chunky, but since it's only iPad, I switched to Booklover (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/booklover-comic-ebook-reader/id949207089). It uses iCloud storage, and I can use it with my iPad and iPhone. Using the genres for titles for management, it's great for comics, PDFs, and magazines.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

tuyop posted:

What are the ways to get a simple text snippet from an android phone or windows computer to an iPad?

Google Keep

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FCKGW posted:

People will spend hours setting up complicated email filters instead of just clicking the “unsubscribe” button on the newsletters they don’t want.

Someone on Something Awful suggested an email filter with “unsubscribe” in the text and I immediately went :aaaaa: at how well that works.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Has anyone else’s Vinegar stopping blocking YouTube ads lately? Still get the Picture in Picture but now I’m seeing ads. It is enabled in Safari.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Corb3t posted:

I have lots of success with Sponsorblock

Oh man, I love this app on other platforms and didn’t even think to look for it in iOS. Thanks.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Plain Mail for my Gmail and Outlook for my work email works fine for me. Outlook is a pretty decent client for free.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

tangy yet delightful posted:

I am hoping for suggestions on two iPad things. One being a good drawing app for a 6 year old that loves to draw, ideally I spend money on the app and it doesn't require a monthly subscription. The other item being an ipad pen/stylus to use with the app. This is for my kid so I don't have a fixed price amount here beyond just wanting better than trash but not necessarily "I'm a pro digital artist" level of tools. Thanks!

For the second one just get whatever Apple Pencil is compatible with your iPad. Save future you the fuss and muss and get the one that will be most supported.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

tangy yet delightful posted:

Ok she's got a 9th gen iPad and this links info (https://www.apple.com/apple-pencil/) makes it look like the 1st gen pencil is the compatible one to get. Thanks, I'm sure you're right that I shouldn't mess with third party options and hassle.

Yep. Actual artists may have better suggestions but when I bought my artist daughter an iPad about 3-4 years ago, I bought her a first gen Apple Pencil and Procreate and she still uses it to this day. Is Procreate too hard for a six year old? Maybe, but apparently it works well. No subscriptions either and it’s $12.99.

https://procreate.com/ipad

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 3, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I want our own browsers and app stores in the US.

Gotta wonder if they'll have some new exploits or something that take advantage of the EU requirements to allow sideloading.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

priznat posted:

Use vinegar extension and view YouTube thru safari that’s what I do.

That or use Yattee on iOS.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is there something on the Apple TV that works for this problem?

Skipping ads? Yeah. An app called Yattee. It’s just a bit confusing to set up, but it works.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is there a way to sort apps by the last date of use?

Basically I'm trying to cull the billion stupid little one-off apps that have accumulated on my phone like barnacles, and it would be really sweet if I could see that oh hey I haven't interacted with this one in 2 years etc.

Settings/General/iPhone Storage/Last Used Date

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fly Ricky posted:

I’m taking a ton of pictures and want each one to have a Brightness +10 and Color Saturation +25.

Is there an app or a way in Photos to just make this a setting? Going in there one-by-one is a full-time job.

Possibly a shortcut that sets all photos you choose like that?