Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Megasabin posted:

Is there a good todo app that falls on the feature spectrum somewhere between Wunderlist and Omnifocus, and also has a web app? Wunderlist is too simple, as I would like to have options to have reoccuring tasks (Wash Sheets every 2 weeks, Call X person every 2 weeks), set due dates on certain tasks, etc... Omnifocus seems great, but not having a web app is a killer for me, as I'd like to be able to view/edit tasks from my desktop as well as my iphone/ipad (I have a PC and their desktop software is mac only).

Remember the Milk actually has almost everything I want, but it's just kind of dated and no longer has any support. I basically want a more modern/updated version of remember the milk.

Todoist has everything you're asking for. The only nag I have with it is that some of the sidebar elements are cluttered if you're using it only for yourself (as opposed to a team), but in reality it can pretty much be ignored fine, I'm just spergin'.

---

On another note, I wish I had the option to fold every widget. I don't need to see my calendar every single time I pop open the tray. Hope it gets implemented.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
If you like curated playlists and great social support, definitely Spotify. If it irks you that certain songs you own aren't on the service, Google Play. I use Google Play, but I REALLY miss having curated playlists. It sucks that you have to manually create your own different playlists, but that's the cost to pay for having a gap-free library for what I enjoy.

GPlay also has pretty-much non-existant discovery features outside of a barebones radio and barely-updated featured playlists section. If you depend on these services for finding new music, definitely go with Spotify.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

wattershed posted:

Do any of these services have some goddamn Bob Seger or Tool yet? That's the real question.

Even if Google Play doesn't have it natively, you can upload any song you want into their cloud service. It's the only advantage the service has over the others, and quite frankly, why I keep paying (blame me for my dumb, OCD music tastes). Literally every other feature is done better by the competitors.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Levitate posted:

Are there any "to do list" type of apps that you can share with someone else with the same app and have like a a joint to do list?

Todoist was actually originally made to do this, and it has top-notch cross-platform support along with a great web app.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

tuyop posted:

Inbox looks pretty cool, I wonder how things like Mailbox and Fantastical will take advantage of those new features.

My assumption is that Google won't release these features as part of their API. I'm sure their analytics show that a good amount of people have stopped using the Gmail app on mobile, and this is their way of recapturing lost ad revenue from that market.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
No native Pad version, yet. So close, BeWeather, so close...

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

flosofl posted:

The trial license mentions it will no longer be fully functional after 30 days. Not sure if that means it up and stops working or if you can only view password information on the PC Client.

I've used the windows app unpaid for a year now. All that's changed is having to wait 5 seconds for the shareware screen to go away.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

ICHIBAHN posted:

Also, you can't use password protected podcasts because there's no mechanism for logging in.

Most certainly can, just depends on how the password protection is implemented. Giant Bomb's premium feed works 100% fine with Overcast.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I switched from Overcast to Instacast just because I prefer a desktop client that syncs with the mobile app well, and the browser version of Overcast wasn't getting it done for me. I never used Smart Speed though.

Use pocket casts for that functionality, though you'll have to shell out more cash for the web app syncing, it works perfectly from what I've used of it. Marco admits that the web app is lovely. I ended up just using AirPlay to playback overcast onto my computer (thus keeping the play speed functionality intact) but that's far from optimal. Here's to hoping that Marco gets to work on a new web app in 2915.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

ChetReckless posted:

My main issue is not having playlists carry over. I spend silly amounts of time curating my main playlist, abandoning that would make me confront how I'm wasting that time.

Yeah, all reasons why I've settled with using AirPlay for the time being. Once smart speed, accurate syncing, and playlists are in, it'll be perfect.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

EC posted:

You guys are weird. I basically listen to podcasts so I can kill time.

:shrug:

My commute and gym time total 12 hours a week → My weekly podcasts are about 14 hours.
I used to have to delete numerous episodes I'd never have time to listen to pretty frequently; now it happens as little as a once a month.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 17, 2014

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Anybody have a preference for camera apps? I'm using manual and hoping there's an app out there where I can reposition the focus assist zoom. In fact I'm not sure at all why it's center only - for an developed by photographers it seems like an oversight.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Can any screens user tell me if its worth switching over?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Maneki Neko posted:

So I don't know if this a lovely apple podcasts app problem or a lovely iTunes problem, but about 50% of the time I finish a podcast on my phone, iTunes won't actually realize that I've finished the podcast, but it will think I have a few minutes left and leave it as partially played.

Anyone else have this? I don't understand how Apple, who probably did more to popularize podcasts than anyone else has managed to gently caress this up so bad.

I can guarantee you are not the only one with this problem. The podcast app is a smoking crater of poo poo. I don't have a clue why Apple haven't made a better app yet, especially considering how strong podcasts have been in recent years.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Maneki Neko posted:

Oh crap,I didn't realize Overcast had a web client. I'll take a look, I'd say 75% of my podcast listening happens on my PC, with phone just being for airplanes/driving.

The web client's okay. Sync's wonky and it has no playlist support. I wish Marco would develop an actual app for it, but he's mentioned before on his podcast it's not worth his time considering how small the app market is nowadays for OSX. That said, Overcast is still my favorite iOS app, and arguably one of the best apps in the whole store.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

An Enormous Boner posted:

I guess I would have to actually hear it in action, but it still sounds like something that only ding dongs would care about. I'm not looking to save time with my podcast listening, but instead I am looking to hear people talk about things, and part of that is the way they talk.

Maybe it'd be good for audiobooks.

Aside from the heavily produced podcasts and/or those run by formerly radio guys (e.g., TAL, Planet Money, 99% Invisible and its ilk), most of the podcasts I listen to are done by normal joes who have a day job other than broadcasting. The feature helps incredibly in creating a smoother, more natural-sounding conversations for these podcasts. For what it's worth, since the option is podcast-by-podcast, I have it turned off for former set.

Every person has a preferred rate of speech in conversation. Overcast's smart speed just helps you dial each podcast onto your preferred cadence, and it does nearly seamlessly at the lower settings.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

teraflame posted:

I don't understand why people just don't use Paper as a replacement.

Font is tiny on iPhone6

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I can only hope this means eventual support on OSX's onenote as well — doing quick diagrams with my wacom and excel is about the only reason I have a VM of Windows on my workstation anymore.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

sonatinas posted:

I've looked in the app store and can't seem to find an app that does what I want regarding recipes and grocery lists.

I could just do it all in excel but if one of the grocery/recipes apps can do it I rather go that route.

What I want to do is have all of my recipes arranged in groups that contain the most common ingredients among them. For example, It might show me that these three recipes share the most ingredients, and then I see a list of groceries for that.

Don't think this exists, and I've tried a lot of recipe apps. You could easily implement this using an RDB, though.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Dang - the Apple app does support skipping around in a playlist. I feel like other developers could at least implement tap vs. hold controls.

Don't quote me on this, but from what little of iOS development I've done, the earphone tap controls are finnicky tools to work with and poorly documented.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Croc Monster posted:

You're both basically right, but I'm with noirstronaut on this.

A big allure of the iPhone for me over an android phone was the lack of carrier bloatware. So what do I have now? crappleware. I have a 64gb device, no space worries, all the crapple apps shoved in a crapple folder. Fine. But it's MY phone and I shouldn't have to do that, and I also don't want to be told by some asshat in Cupertino what I can and cannot remove from my device.

Yes, yes, I know, The Apple Way™©®Pat. Pend.

Why did you not just get a nexus 5 or htc one? It sounds perfect for you

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Not defending goodreaders choice to include color, but if it's just plaintext, you could definitely strip the unnecessary stuff with some regex.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Seconded on simple note. Hell, if it had markdown support on both iOS and OSX I probably would switch to it completely from Evernote.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Evernote (for better or worse) has such a large, bloated feature set, that it's enabled a ton of wholly different workflows and use cases. For me, the web clipper is really useful to clip searchable code snippets, create notes for my projects in development, and is also a great way to manage my shopping wish list.

That said, the weakest point by far is the actual typesetting. It is an absolute chore to write anything inside Evernote, and there's always a billion features you never care about and just clutters up the UI.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I would assume not, I don't think video quality is a cross application setting. Paper is still very much a side project for Facebook, so don't be surprised if it has some weird limitations for many cases.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Just a quick summary so some of you can save the time opening the App Store and spending precious megabytes, from what I can see the widget is rather large and not customizable, so if those are your needs (they are mine), pass on it.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Andrast posted:

I really like Pocket casts because it has a web client that allows me to seamlessly continue my podcasts when I'm on my Windows machine.

So does Overcast.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

xzzy posted:

If you want 1PW to sync your db to anything other than a iOS/OSX system you need Dropbox.

Unless you want to spin up your own cross platform file syncing solution.

Man, apparently the syncing I do has just been one big lie.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Teddybear posted:

Apparently the guy behind Peace has pulled it from sale and is refusing to support it in the future.

http://www.marco.org/2015/09/18/just-doesnt-feel-good

Shitshow incoming. It sounds like from Twitter this was prompted by a lot of outcry from a number of tech journalists (Nilay Patel of The Verge in particular) and Ghostery also pulling out. Get your refund and move quickly to Purify/Crystal I guess.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

maduin posted:

Funny that he didn't consider this in the (presumably more than a week) time spent developing/testing the app. I actually sort of think he got a lot of pressure from his publisher friends (Gruber, etc) about it. Note the conspicuously absent link to Peace on DF.

Huh? Gruber in particular often talks about the merits of content blockers, even noting that that ads for the sake of ads is a poor media strategy in 2015.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

badjohny posted:

I just bought peace this morning...

How do I go about getting a refund? Never had to on iTunes before.

I haven't done this yet (can't be bothered to during work hours), but this is the guide he linked.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

maduin posted:

He's come out and said any content blocker that blocks unobtrusive ads (The Deck, which advertises on DF, for example) is wrong. Peace blocked these.

Thanks for that — I didn't actually see it blocked The Deck; just saw the Marco post on it.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Are these blockers only for Safari? I installed Crystal earlier because it was free (apparently it's not anymore?), but I'm watching last night's episode of Colbert's Late Show on the CBS app and there are just as many ads as there would ever be.

On a side note, Apple most certainly will not create a end user API to control advertising served up by iAd. The addition of content blockers on Safari if nothing else reiterates Apple's stance of "build native or don't bother trying to monetize on our platform".

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Endless Mike posted:

So why don't you explain it in easier terms?

Eyeo, the company behind Adblock Plus's development, is funding Crystal's dev in exchange for using their 'acceptable ads' whitelist (in addition to a separate user-modifiable whitelist). The history behind Adblock Plus's whitelist is long and has been written by writers far better than I, so I won't get into it. The option will not be mandatory, and will not be automatically turned on.

I'm assuming the other poster is up in arms about the fact that companies cannot pay Crystal's dev in exchange for a spot on the whitelist, which is true (and may or may not have been underreported or glossed over by tech journalists. I don't know, I don't read many of them). However, as the dev does not manage Eyeo's whitelist (and has no intention to manage his own whitelist), companies are free to go over to Eyeo and negotiate with them, which will affect Crystal's whitelist.

All this information is sourced directly from the Crystal dev blog post.

Make of it what you will, I don't use Crystal to begin with. I don't intend to inject my own thoughts into this particular post!

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

App chat: I just got myself a new job and I'm now managing a ton of projects and I'm looking for a better way to keep track of what the gently caress I did on a day to day basis. In my mind, I'm basically looking for a glorified to-do list where I can type out what I do for the day as it comes up (received plans, reviewed notes, approved invoices, etc) with the option to tag/categorize each entry so at the end of the day or week or whenever I can see both what went down during a particular day or view all the items for a specific project. Right now I'm just using tasks/reminders but poo poo's just going to get really cluttered really quick.

Or if someone that handles multiple projects at the same times cares to chime in on how they keep track of everything, that'd be great.

Todoist and Omnifocus can both do this. The latter has far more granularity and complexity, while the former is a lot easier and quicker to use (not to mention considerably cheaper — though I would assume your work could be able to pay for it, depending on how expenses work).

e: One of my coworkers I think uses Swipes for the same purpose. Add that to the list to consider, as well I guess.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 28, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Tweetbot is my poo poo, so if the new one is better, I will absolutely shell out a few bucks for it if I have to. The current one is pretty much fine as it is, though.

The iPad version is literally straight from 2012, so I've been dying for this update.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Looks like Tapbots is considering supporting both SVC and their original browser.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Kaizoku posted:

I know I'm hating on TweetBot a bit in here, but it just astounds me the amounts you're willing to put up with at the price point.

The app is $5. For me this just means I got one less beer last night out.

If another app exists where I can browse my lists quickly, I'd be more than interested.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 6, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

ShoogaSlim posted:

Why are you following so many users that you need to filter anyway?

Really? Sometimes I'd like to just see things related to work, sometimes I'd like to see just see Rangers journalists commentary during a live game I can't watch, sometimes I'd like to just see if a closer got pulled today for fantasy baseball, sometimes I'd like just see dumb pictures from my old friends from college, and sometimes I'd like to just see road conditions after a 5 car crash on I-495. I use the main timeline the vast majority of the time, but sometimes you want a little bit more granular control. Is that really such a crazy idea?

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I used SleepCycle for years, but the thing that actually made the largest impact on my quality of sleep was just forcing myself to go to bed early and wake up early enough to give me an hour+ to get ready instead of rushing through the motions.