Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Plex is pretty badass, but for the setup you're describing I think a Chromecast might actually serve you better (which has Plex support). That way you don't have to make your phone the workhorse.. you use it as a remote which is way cooler.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201812818-Cast-from-iOS

But I guess that doesn't help you if you're set on the AppleTV. It is something to think about though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm pretty sure the Music app was designed for people who only listen to two or three artists, because once you get beyond that it quickly becomes impossible to find anything quickly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bvoid posted:

"Siri, play song 'Disemboweled Engorgement' by artist 'Extermination Dismemberment'"

*gets kicked out of library*

"Sorry there is a problem, can you try that again?"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't wait until some clever musician puts out an album containing the tracks "xbox record that," "hey siri," and "ok google."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yes. Yes it is. The other blood sugar tracking apps in the App Store are all for Type-2 fatties, not broken snowflakes like me last I checked.

MyNetDiary has a diabetic version that isn't too bad. I don't know anything about how the British measure everything, but the app handles mg/dL and mmol/L units.

Read the fine print though: they want a subscription to export data. I don't require this so it doesn't bother me but it's probably a deal breaker for most.

Also no healthkit integration, so there's that too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

In the end, can't you just use an excel spreadsheet to monitor your health? I use it for my lifts, weight, BP and other health factors and easily link it to various forms of ourput of my own design. For most people, it's a way to get use of Excel that they might very well rarely ever use otherwise.

If you enjoy Excel, sure, use it. But it's perfectly reasonable that our pocket computers be able to log data in a sensible manner.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bummey posted:

What software did you use to capture this screenshot and get that nice drop shadowed framing?

Use OSX's native screenshot hotkeys:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5775

command-shift-4 to drag a square you want, it'll capture the drop shadow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No shenanigans from ServerAuditor. :v:

They do have a "premium" subscription option that stores keys and poo poo in their cloud service but that stuff is stupid and it works fine without it (doesn't even nag you to upgrade).

Their app name is pretty dumb too but it's a good ssh client.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's an iOS music thread here, but it's pretty quiet these days:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364734

Animoog is fantastic fun to play with. GlitchMachine and BitWiz are really good for 8 bit squelches. SunreizerXS is a great synth.

MoDrum, BassLine and FunkBox are worth a look to see if that's the sort of thing you want, what they do they do well.

SunVox and NanoStudio are my favorite song editors.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, iPhone gets the short end of the stick when it comes to music apps. Take what you can get and get used to letting a lot of neat apps drift by.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Roobsa posted:

Is there a TV tracker app that lets you see what's already been aired? I thought TeeVee would be perfect but you can't view what's already been shown (unless I'm missing something). I'm in the UK so US shows disappear off my list overnight, which obviously isn't convenient for when I wake up.

Did you try Episodes? I haven't used it for a while, but once upon a time when I did I was really happy with how it let me keep track of what I have and haven't watched.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Finally, the weather widget all goons have been demanding.

We don't have to talk about weather anymore, right? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you don't want to use iTunes, there's an app called Air Sharing you can use to get movies onto your iOS device.. they still have to be in a video format that iOS supports, but you don't need any special software to get stuff on your device. It basically fires up a small web server on your phone and you use webdav to copy stuff to it.

Not sure if it's still on the app store, they stopped updating it sometime around iOS 7.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds great until the first exploit is found that dumps your entire keystore to some lovely f2p game and uploads it to a server in Russia.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

How would you do that? the 1password extension only copies two things and only the ones you specifically tell it to.

I have no idea but that's the fun part about exploits, really smart nerds manage to break it anyways.

Password managers are probably going to become the next big hacking target, it's only a matter of time before there's an exploit found and a lot of people have every single one of their accounts hijacked. Obscurity is what's protected them so far, but now that they're mainstream it's going to draw a lot of attention.

Still an extremely important and valuable tool and I'm not suggesting anyone abandon the practice, just be super cautious about what you grant access to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sure they follow industry best practices, but nothing is 100%.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you have the .ipa file you can install it to any of your devices with iTunes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Feenix posted:

Ah so like in my iTunes on my Mac?

Yeah, which is the best reason to occasionally sync to iTunes to copy all that stuff to your hard drive. You can right click the app icon in iTunes and 'show in finder' to find out where it's stored on your disk to archive it permanently if that's your thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a POLAR VORTEX. :supaburn:

Worth at least a week of hand wringing on the evening news!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iTunes home sharing technically works for video, if you need a stopgap solution until you settle on something that doesn't suck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Has the youtube official app performance gone to poo poo lately for anyone, or is it just my 5 starting to show its age?

Most notably rotating from portrait to landscape takes forever and it sometimes freaks out and spews gui elements all over the video after rotating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

Seriously this app is amazing. I'm pretty sure I can cancel my Splashtop subscription now this app works so well.

Seriously it works as well as Splashtop? And it's free?

Talk about a giant gently caress you to basically all remote desktop solutions out there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You're looking at getting laughed off the internet at this point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

What's wrong with the default app?

Besides being laggy and having a stupid interface you mean?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

And it looks like Youtube's really cranking up the 15-second ads now too. Welp.

Yeah they've been really ramping up the last 5 months or so. Not just mobile, but all devices that can view youtube.

(so they can sell you an ad-free subscription that they're also developing)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

If someone was able to properly curate and maintain a (good) applist they would be doing it for the appstore and making six figures off Apple already.

Someone tried, Chomp was a pretty good searching tool until Apple gobbled it up and did nothing with the tech.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because storage is still relatively expensive.. a single hard drive is cheap, but thousands of them use a ton of power, take a ton of space, and are really loving heavy. Plus then you have to build out the network to get data in and out of those hard drives at reasonable speeds.

From a data crunching perspective a few megs from many people is probably more useful than massive chunks of data from a few people too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

Also it's a subscription service and your access to every account you own depends on their service being up and running and the company being in business.

Well all the other ones rely on a dropbox account which comes with the same issues, that's kind of the gotcha with anything on the internet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

You don't need a Dropbox at all for 1PW

If you want 1PW to sync your db to anything other than a iOS/OSX system you need Dropbox.

Unless you want to spin up your own cross platform file syncing solution.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trust a credit card company to do something simple in the most obtuse way possible to guarantee it screws customers in some manner.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ended up putting selfoss on my private server and spending way too much drat time setting up RSS feeds. It has a usable mobile interface. There's probably better out there.

It's the only solution I've found that doesn't bury me in ads or include poo poo I give no fucks about.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just about every major ad blocker in the desktop world has done the exact same thing so it's not unprecedented.

It's just part of the arms race. :buddy:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You probably should have calmed down the instant the letters "verge" appeared in your url bar because it's a near certainty that any story under that umbrella has some glaring factual error in it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Feenix posted:

The verge is literally poop smeared on a page.

:ohdear:

Will visiting their website give me a disease?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unacknowledged posted:

I bought sleepCycle the other night and wanted to know from other users if I have to set the alarm every night or if I can just schedule it.

No, it's a thing you have to launch and press start every night. It does save your last entered time though so it's not a complete start from scratch.

If you want automatic scheduled alarms, use the stock Clock app. I mean I'm sure there's other alarm apps out there that allow ridiculous spergy schedules, but the default app works just fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

virinvictus posted:

Sleeping apps stopped working so well for me when I started sharing a memory foam bed with my partner.

I've been using SleepCycle for three years and I'm convinced the "gentle wake" theory and s leep cycles is a complete load of crap.

However I love the poo poo out of SleepCycle's "tap to snooze" feature so I continue to use it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't played super mario bros in 20 years. I could play it because it's out there: I could hunt down hardware or even pirate it and run it in an emulator.

But I don't, because it's an old game and even though I loved it as a kid there's nothing to pull me back and there's lots of new stuff to play anyways.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a dirty hack, but my solution to fixing the youtube problem was to set up an RSS aggregator on my private server and add the channels I'm interested in as sources. The old youtube api is gone but you can still get RSS feeds if you hunt down the url they use for it.

Then I deleted the youtube app and now I just watch videos in safari. This kills off the ads, too!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kaizoku posted:

So LastPass has been purchased by LogMeIn. How quickly do I need to jump ship?

Depending on where you read your comments, somewhere between yesterday and right now.

Unfortunately my subscription renewed just a few months ago so there's no reason for me to do much of anything until problems show up.

I keep hoping that KeePass will get its poo poo together but they aren't moving fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Monopthalmus posted:

Why is this bad for LastPass and where should I go instead? I've been pretty happy with LastPass...

Because LogMeIn is not a great company. They habitually delete features to get people to upgrade their service or raise prices just because they want to.