Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My one quibble with outlook vs spark is the archive button is less convenient, top right instead of centre bottom in Spark. Otherwise it's very nice and quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just take a drink of water every time a goon says something pedantic or snarky and now I can't stop pissing everywhere help

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cataloging app? I want somewhere to document all my comic trades/movies/records/whatever. UPC scanning would be ideal and having a Mac app with cloud support would be a nice bonus. I have no problems paying for quality.

Delicious Library was pretty neat for that on the Mac way back when, whatever happened to that company and why didn't they get in on the app craze (as far as I can tell?)

There is a companion app to scan upc but I have no idea if the Mac app is being updated or what.. https://delicious-monster.com

priznat fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 27, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tweetbot
Dunno don't use reddit
Road Trip

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

"My Data Manager" does most of those except for the background usage.

My Data Manager – Track your mobile data usage and save money by Mobidia Technology
https://appsto.re/ca/Ow6EC.i

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Agreed that the MS apps are great. I use OneNote a lot for work and have been trying to train myself to use it on my personal account.

For cloud storage apps I still like Dropbox the best, but Onedrive is a close second.

Google Photos is the best for cloud photos though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was thinking of doing a subscription to one of the big newspapers/news magazines (wsj, nytimes, economist, ?) and was wondering if anyone had recommendations based on the iOS apps alone, since that's where I'd be reading it mostly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I use Google Play Music with CarPlay and it works fine, I can skip tracks and all that no problem.

I was used to just using bluetooth before my car got the carplay upgrade so I have low standards, can't browse on my car's display etc. Now it shows the album art where it doesn't with bluetooth :toot:

I've thought about switching to apple music but nahhh. I get $2 off per month with google so I can just stick with it!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm okay with having my music in the default app since all the functionality I need is so basic anyway: Offline music synced from my PC (since a lot of stuff I listen to a lot isn't in the UK store).

Though what's the catch with their 50,000 song storage for free thing? Sounds too good to be true - are they harvesting the hell out of :filez: to pass on to the RIAA for a cut of the money or some poo poo?

I actually went the other way from google to apple. Mostly because of carplay support but also because it seems like the google radio stations get pretty stale - repeating tracks etc. I don't think they put as much effort into curating as apple does.

Pretty minor though, they're both good services. I believe apple music also has a song match/upload thing like itunes match so you can store your tunes as well. I'm sure they can sell some analytics to record labels etc but I doubt there is any legal danger.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sefal posted:

I see lots of people playing rythm games on the iphones here. Are there any good rythm games on ios (iphone 6s) ?

Tappy cat is good but I stopped playing because it's pretty unforgiving. But lots of folks really love it.

Touch arcade review is glowing http://toucharcade.com/2017/02/06/tappy-cat-review/

E: oops this isn't the games thread, should ask there in the future..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Annoyingly, OpenVPN no longer works with the iOS 10.3.2 beta 1. Totally aware of potential issues with beta software so that's fine, just thought I'd mention it if anyone is trying to figure out why they can't vpn no more :)

https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23780 (not much info so far)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GoldfishStew posted:

Twitter is garbage but Tweetbot lets you schedule tweets and that owns but again twitter sucks.

It does? Hell yeah "May the fourth be with you" tweet scheduled for 12:01am tonight.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I switch back and forth between Outlook and Spark.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Virtue posted:

The Outlook interface is slick but I don't see any way to get more granular than focused vs other. Is there any way to bulk archive or mark as read? Every morning I get ~50 "alert" emails I have to sift through and only read a handful of them. Spark let me bulk archive the unread ones after I was done.

I wonder what happened recently that made it so drat slow.

I'm wondering if it is related to their addition of "drag/drop" between Readdle apps on the ipad, if that had an effect.

I've also noticed it is really slow and am switching back over to outlook for now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GoldfishStew posted:

I have a peeve with Apple Music. If i add an album to my Apple Music which is on pre-release, when the album actually comes out, no it only would i appreciate a notification (like when i would purchase pre-orders through iTunes) it doesn't add the previously grey'd out songs. I have to delete that's album, find it again, and add it again. Annoying.

I just encountered that too, it would fail downloading the other songs until I removed it and re-added. (Lorde's Melodrama)

We should both file reports on that, is there anything in the app that makes this easy or would it be a general purpose apple bug report I wonder.

My only other beef with apple music is streaming on a pc/mac requires itunes, barrrrrf. I miss the google play web player.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

1Password family plan is pretty great for admining family members who are always forgetting master passwords etc.

Overall I would say 1Password is not cheap, but it is good value. It just works across all platforms!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I recall the Rdio app being good, RIP those guys.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gas cubby and Road trip are a couple good options, I use the latter.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

hypnophant posted:

I was in an airport terminal recently in which every seat, literally every seat in the terminal, had an iPad mounted in a little stand in front of it. Every single seat, including every seat at every table in every restaurant, all the waiting areas... Everywhere. There were thousands of iPads in this terminal. I have no idea who conceived of such a thing or who approved it, but I have to assume that's the use case.

Was that Newark? Because I went to a restaurant there and had to use an ipad to order but everything about it was broken, horrible and confusing and my order got lost and my travelling buddy got a free beer that just arrived despite not having ordered it. That was a couple years back so hopefully they have ironed out the kinks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah it kind of reeks of questionable purchase decisions with a side of kickbacks to me. Goin for a modern thing while being total overkill and unnecessary.

The servers at the Newark restaurant had nothing good to say about them, that’s for sure. They couldn’t take orders themselves they were just always being waved over to help enter the order into the ipad or give people a different one because one had crashed/locked up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

I use it and you can turn off all the snark.

BeWeather used to be my go to recommendation. Then it turned to unreliable poo poo where it had difficulty pulling in weather data from it’s feed.

Yeah what the hell happened to BeWeather? It’s really annoying now how bad it is about pulling data. Did weatherunderground change their API massively or something?

Now I use the weather channel app.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Sure, if accuracy isn’t important (and this is from a longtime BeWeather user). I gave up on them a couple months ago.

Same, I had enough of it. Splashed out for carrot weather, it is pretty nice.

Don’t think I really need the subscription options but the alerts could be useful.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

I ran into issues where it was either not pulling data at all (it would display temp and time from 12 hours prior) or it was pulling data from an entirely different area. Even the radar map would be for another state. I just uninstalled and moved on to Carrot Weather.

Exact same issue here.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I use the Reeder app with Inoreader service (which also has an app and webpage). I tried feedly but preferred inoreader for reasons I no longer remember.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like carrot too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I would put the public betas on my iPad that lives on my nightstand, while my phone kept the official releases.

Or

Official release in the streets, public beta in the sheets.

priznat fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 24, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Depressing Box posted:

Road Trip has been working pretty well for me.

2nding this one, I like it quite a bit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ooo Waze just got updated with Carplay!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CarPlay question: can Waze use voice while connected as it seems when I press the mic and yell at it it has no effect. Is support ever going to be added for 3rd party carplay stuff to get voice support?

Otherwise it’s kinda useless a lot of the time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

dexter6 posted:

Hmm, not sure what’s wrong with your set up. I talk to Siri and Waze in CarPlay and it works fine.

Weird. The voice works fine for siri stuff but on waze I get the mic icon to listen but nothing. Do you just press the steering wheel button to talk to waze? I have been pressing the onscreen mic.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

If your iPhone has suddenly started becoming unresponsive, or going into a reboot/crash loop, it could be GasBuddy's fault.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/22/apple-reportedly-working-with-gasbuddy-after-update-leaves-iphones-unresponsive

Seems to affect iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X, and XS Max mostly.

I had it on my 7, but deleted it once I saw this cause I didn't want to take the chance..

Road Trip supremacy! (Although I do wish there were mode cloud sync options)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I need a note taking app that has

- typed text (don’t care for handwriting for this)
- markdown, preferably with ability to convert into latex
- separate “sheets” of paper that group together to form a “notebook”
- drag and drop in pictures would be a plus
- support dropping in files (eg pdfs, but doesn’t have to display inline like pictures) also a plus

Bear doesn’t cut it because the organizational aspect is terrible. Drafts is ok for writing stuff down but seems awful for organizing notes. I’m trying Agenda right now but I can’t really get behind the calendar/date based system it’s built for.

Ulysses seems like it might work but I haven’t tried it yet. Any others I’m missing?

OneNote? I got started using it for work and quite like it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wow! I actually have a subscription for the family 1Password and never knew about the 2FA.. Looks like I can ditch Authy!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

For anyone who hasn’t figured it out when editing the entry in 1pass tap the “add one time password” and then the qr icon and scan the one it shows you for a google authenticator and bingo bango it should have a six digit time limited code for you. It’s real slick.

I am moving everything over from authy and I have one OTP entry that doesn’t have what it’s for and now I’m too scared to delete the app in case I lose that one.. I think it may be ifttt.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Froist posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on an iPad note-taking app. I'd really love something like the Microsoft Courier concept from a few years ago, where you can combine typed text, handwritten notes and (crucially) clippings from a web browser into a "scrapbook" style format. Huge bonus points if it can sync across multiple devices and invite different people, but that's not a dealbreaker.

I'm thinking of use cases like planning ideas for house improvements (browsing for furniture ideas in Safari and saving snippets along with a link back to the web site), wedding planning (venues and caterers along with notes about them), sketching garden redesigns, etc. Basically I've suddenly become an adult, but want to play with my shiny new iPad Pro + Pencil along the way.

Any ideas? I've searched for note-taking app recommendations but not found anything that really hits the mark on clipping from websites in a nice UI (and lots of these recommendation lists are years old).

Definitely check out microsoft OneNote.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Froist posted:

I tried this (as my fiancé uses it heavily for work anyway) and it was a shitshow of UI bugs that put me off within a couple of minutes. But yeah, I should give it another fairer shot.

They cleaned it up when going to the 2016 version so you may like it better now. I prefer the older version on PC (the new one hides a lot of the functionality I find) but the iOS version is much improved imo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Did everyone remember to cancel their subscription of news+ after the free month?

Because it is pretty lame imo.

Keeping the app around for now only because the google version keeps showing me stories in languages I don’t read no matter how many times I tell it not to.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I can’t see it being successful. Most of the magazines aren’t even formatted well for smaller screens.

Yeah - and even the ones that were would usually just have the article title with no subheading telling you what it actually was about. It was really poorly done overall. Woo a couple covers in motion and everyone is supposed to go nuts for it I guess.

The thing that sucks now though is the news app has the news+ stuff interleaved with the regular articles which is especially annoying.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Weird, I’m a long time Reeder user and searching the app store there are no Reeders at all, not 3 or 4. Did it get pulled? Browsing the Canada app store. I have 3 installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think it adds additional codecs which require royalties.