Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Minidust posted:

Been curious about Plex for a while. I assume it allows me to stream non-iTunes formatted video from my computer. Would I then be able to airplay that content to an Apple TV? It'd be cool if I could play any old video on my Apple TV without jailbreaking (even if I have to use my phone as a middle man).

xzzy posted:

Plex is pretty badass, but for the setup you're describing I think a Chromecast might actually serve you better (which has Plex support). That way you don't have to make your phone the workhorse.. you use it as a remote which is way cooler.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201812818-Cast-from-iOS

But I guess that doesn't help you if you're set on the AppleTV. It is something to think about though.

You can install Plex to the Apple TV https://blog.plex.tv/2013/06/04/introducing-plexconnect-an-appletv-client-which-thinks-different/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

blakout posted:

Am I the only one whose having YouTube layout issues on the iphone 6. Like the keyboard will be in landscape when nothing else is and there are gaps in the ui. Been using Jasmine for the most part instead which is fine if a bit bare bones.

I'm having those same issues, but can't deal w/o Chromecast support. Jasmine is starting to feel like abandonware.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

Aw man, you used to be able to turn off the flashlight by tapping the swipe up for camera thingy. I guess iOS 8 killed that featurebug.

Or just using the quick settings panel? Like, there's a button right there.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

ScarletBrother posted:

Sweet! Thanks for the fast reply. Is VLC the go-to app for this sort of thing, or is there a goon-preferred animu watching app?

VLC works fine, other than crashing at startup sometimes on iOS 8. You just have to switch your device to a Canadian city in the same timezone to bypass the DRM. I thought it was removed from the store because of a copyright claim by Nokia, though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I use wikiweb. I like the way they handle tables.

Wikiweb handles tables well but I absolutely hate the main interface. Wikipanion has been my goto since Wikiamo stopped development, and it gets most tables right.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

2) Playing a podcast at anything but 1x? Need to unplug your headphone jack? Good chance that the track will play with no sound when you resume, necessitating a force close and restarting the app. Also, the app lost your place. Overcast doesn't have this problem.

I've had this problem with all of the major podcast apps on iphone 6+ -- Downcast, Overcast, and Pocket Casts, so YMMV there. Didn't try apple's podcasts cause I gave it enough chances during a full calendar year.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

madept posted:

Yeah, it's a lot of wasted space just for the Flickr photo. They could eliminate the photo entirely and either cut down the size of the widget by half or use the second row to show a full 5 day forecast.

An email alternative I haven't seen mentioned is Boxer. I switched from Mailbox about a year ago because I wanted Exchange support and additional features. It does Gmail push and doesn't send anything through their own servers. It does not do Exchange push though.

I like Boxer a great deal, but I've been having an issue since 7.1 where it will not go directly to the e-mail I chose when swiping from lock screen, but it will mark that e-mail as read. This is on ipad2, ipad4, 3 iphone 5(not s)s, and iphone 6+. Not terrible, but certainly an annoyance.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

I'm checking out Skype for iPad on someone's behalf. Does it definitely do push notifications correctly, like when someone's trying to call you?

Unless the update that just came out changed things drastically, it doesn't do anything correctly.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Feenix posted:

poo poo that sucks, why'd VLC get pulled?

Supposedly Nokia claimed rights infringement.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Eh, I mention it in the OP and a lot of its usage benefits mobile users directly. Can't think of a better thread to ask about it either. If people mind it I can remove the OP tutorial

IFTTT is fantastic and absolutely related to iOS.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Who here uses Google voice for their phone number? I switched to integrate hangouts before the 6 came out, and it's just really not great to use Voice with Hangouts on my iPhone. There's no toggle between text and hangout message. So I'm almost blindly messaging people, sometimes not sure if I'm getting their number or messaging via hangouts.

Calling works fine, I just use the old voice app for phone calls right now.

Any one figure out a better way to work it? It's disappointing, I've used Google voice 4 years and this is the first time it is really just unusable.

I just unmarried them in google voice settings, going back to the Google Voice app for texts as well.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

I'm from the UK, I don't have a clue what EDM is

Techno.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

Also says redeemed. The downside of trying to get a code when you're not Plat. Ah well. Thanks for trying, and congratulations to whoever got it. :)

Send me an ICQ, 5112925.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Bummey posted:

Am I reading this correctly or did someone dose my drink?

I'm pretty sure it's not even the first time I've referenced my ICQ in an iOS apps thread.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

You Am I posted:

I used to use an app called "Geek News" which would grab headlines from some IT news websites. Sadly the app hasn't been updated for years, and you can't change which sites it looks at for news.

Is there a newer app which does the same thing?

Or Flipboard, Zite, and Circa--all of which have curated sections for Tech that draw from similar if not the same sources. The first two are both basically magazines with different interfaces, Circa allows you to keep updated by stitching together a story from multiple sources and giving you a realtime notification with breaking info on stories you select.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also it's the best podcast app there is. And it lets you chain poo poo together like IFTTT. And you can browse the forums with it. Then goons would never need another app.

But what color is the icon?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Dragonrah posted:

I finally decided to take the plunge and get a password manager. First, I downloaded 1Password. I didn’t end up using it because I couldn’t use it with Chrome. I deleted that and picked up Lastpass since it had the bookmarklets that I could use with Chrome. I got it setup fine and the browser in the app works. It will fill the email/username and password fields. I go to Chrome, load up the site I want to test, and then use the bookmarklet by typing the name I assigned to the bookmarklet in the address bar.

The Lastpass box pops up, but it says “No sites match this domain.” I’ve tried this with several sites and I’m getting the same thing.

Any ideas?

You don't have the URLS added to the passes in your lastpass vault.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Feenix posted:

Isn't that what homey is claiming BeWeather 2 does/allows? Or is total customization not affecting frame-size?

The ability for large widgets ruins them for everyone, obviously.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

maduin posted:

Overcast free version is pretty good for someone who casually listens to podcasts.

Requires 8.0 it seems, which makes sense because it's not that old of an app.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

You Am I posted:

I thought the App Store still allowed you to download whatever version of an app that suits whatever version of iOS you are running

Doesn't work when there was no iOS 6 version.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

If a developer makes you pay for an app then stops updating it to make a "new" app that you have to pay for again, that makes the developer a fucker.

That seems to be the implication with the Overcast developer.

No, he works on a project for a year or two then sells it to someone else. Also, I'm pretty sure tumblr is his fault.

That being said, overcast is very good. Smart speed is useful for anything other than the real comedy podcasts (use it on giant bomb, don't on CBB).

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Tensokuu posted:

If anyone uses them anymore what is everybody's messenger of choice? I used to use trillion all the time but lately it seems to be messing with my iPad keyboard making it disappear in between messages. I was just wondering if there are better options out there? Mostly run AIM and gchat

This could be the way ios has been handling keyboards and not the specific app, for what its worth.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Yeesh hardcore history was a horrible example to use to sell smart speed. That show IS performance art (please don't admit to us publicly that you use it as a learning source). Dan knows exactly what he's doing when it comes to his dramatic beats and volume control. Editing that for him is not cool and kind of disrespectful to his craft - which is he drat good at.

You're free to do whatever you want, of course.

For me, Downcast's playlist control is what wins me. It's really robust and has awesome dynamic playlist controls. There's a couple of shows I'm sure I'd use smart speed on but the rest of the app is a no-sell for me.

I think that's the reason that podcast was used--everyone knows a podcast that is underproduced, but most people are curious what it does to those that are well crafted.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

teraflame posted:

I don't see how this would be like plex. Being an avid photographer I have many gigs of photos, it would be silly to put them in the cloud. I was just looking for a local streaming solution.

It acts as a repository for your photos and automagically(cause it doesn't always work) uploads and syncs them? Putting gigs of files in the cloud is neither unheard of nor impractical thrse days

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

An Enormous Boner posted:

Laugh it up you gently caress tards, I chat on AIM and so do my friends who are definitely wayyyyy cooler than you butt lickers, and also trillian doesn't just do AIM. I bet you feel so stupid now.

ICQ has also had an official ios client for a long while now. It does not make the uh oh sound, but that is readily available on audiko.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Overcast and Downcast do that for sure. Overcast does it through a third-party server, so there can be a little lag between when a podcast is published and when it pushes it. It seems like a standard part of any podcast app beyond the stock one, I guess.

i think he might want the popup when the app is opened as opposed to notification center, but i definitely get a bunch of notifications at 3 am EST on podcast days in Overcast.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

In my defense: I checked the OP first, and it only offered very basic info about a few podcast apps. Generally, when I enter a new thread with a myriad of pages I go back a page or two to sort of "catch up" on what's being discussed. Podcasts were brought up, but not anything about what I was looking for, specifically. Sorry to poo poo the thread up.

Instead of going a page or two back, try devoting your catch-up to a week instead of 50 posts, especially in a thread that is mostly two sentence posts, or use search with the thread id.

I’m not trying to be an rear end, this is a genuine suggestion to make getting the information you want quicker.

CaptainPsyko posted:

:siren:A New Challenger Appears!:siren:
(App Store Link)

The widgets leave something to be desired (too big for my taste), but it's pretty nice on the whole. Forecast.io dataset.

Oh dear god how terrible does it look if you hit the ’nerd out’ button?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Are you sure? I thought it was 25k tracks not purchased from iTunes regardless of whether they matched or not. Even still, if it switches to what you're saying with Apple Music (which makes plenty of sense), 25k should be pretty extraordinary unless your library is, yeah Tuvan throat singers and 2 hour EDM mixes.

That’s why I consolidated and mixed the singers in with the edm

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I'm probably missing something here, but you could just add the movies to your iTunes library (don't have to actually copy them from their current location) and play them through the Videos app on the iPad using Home Sharing?

As long as the videos are in itunes friendly format, sure. And you’re only watching at home. And you don’t ever want to stream to a Roku or some other non-apple product.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

What's the app for browsing through my photo library and using a tinder-esque swipe to delete or save?

It’s called ’flic’.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Year long membership to some new password manager called Dashlane is free from AppSumo right now: https://www.appsumo.com/dashlane-deal/buy/

I haven't really heard anything about it before, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't tell you the weather.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

maduin posted:

Does it play podcasts though?

Does it block contents?

The logo isn't even orange.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

nilay patel can suck a dick

Someone else's, unlike The Verge I have some standards in my relations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

flosofl posted:

Gosh, no one's ever, in the history of ad blocking, remarked on the irony or the ability of human beings, via cognitive dissonance, to hold two mutually exclusive value systems.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. We'll need to address this dichotomy in ourselves immediately. We owe you a great debt.

Yeah, gently caress that guy for bringing a different context to the conversation and not just posting another screenshot of what the Verge looks like.

maduin posted:

absolve yourselves of the capitalist hellscape of iphone advertisements by participating in the consumerist habit of buying an $800 electronic device every two years.

I hate buying things; or rather I hate that I enjoy buying things, and have been consciously working on curbing my consumption. Having a 6+, I already can block ads, but if I were still running a 5 I think that the ability to ad block would be enough for me to not only justify the purchase of a new device, but to not feel dirty about it later. It's also good to be reminded during the month of a release to evaluate whether a hardware update would actually benefit you instead of blindly falling into the hype.

Riven posted:

The first capitalist hellscape is annoying and has a net negative impact on my life. The second is useful and has a net positive impact. It's almost like I'm not trying to absolve myself of capitalism, but instead I'm exercising choice in the market.

This, basically.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Is there any ios app like the jailbreak one tage? That lets you do gestures with swiping like swipe up to close an app, swipe the title bar to sleep, etc. Just gestures I guess

Apps can't change the methods of interaction at the OS level, so no. That's still going to require a jailbreak, at the time being.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Oh sorry it doesn't actually close the apps it just mimics the home button and if you slid up slow it'd bring up the multi-tasking.

Ok last one I swear, is there a swipeselect equivalent? When you're typing you can side your finger left or right on the keyboard and it moves the cursor

Long press anywhere with two fingers then swipe. http://www.iphonetricks.org/ios-9-trick-to-control-keyboard-cursor/

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kalman posted:

Was removed for the iPhone in iOS 9 GM. (Unless you have a 6s, in which case force pushing the screen will allow you to trigger this mode, apparently.). Still works on iPad.

I was wondering why I couldn’t trigger it, figured it was error on my end. That’s complete loving horseshit.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The Devil Tesla posted:

The Best Show with Tom Sharpling.

This a hundred times. Having never heard Vergecast, though, I can tell you it's nothing like Vergecast.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

bobfather posted:

Whitelisting Facebook then allows all of the ads and trackers that you'd want to block in the first place. And the Facebook app collects insane amounts of data, right down to your location when you're browsing, swipes you make and duration of time you looked at each post. Seems like a pretty reasonable request to allow logins to Facebook, yet block some or most of the ads and tracking that happens to you.

Normally I'd agree, but pissing all over a site that's 98% garbage and overlooking the 2% that's not is beside the point. Reddit has really good subreddits like r/jailbreak and r/churning that are pretty useful on a regular basis.

Use one of them mobile apps? Isn't reddit one of those where everyone hates the desktop site even on desktop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Lol relax dude

He just doesn't want to fit in with us loving suits.