Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Weather Channel has a widget but it's super lame and text heavy.

For Sports People: The Yahoo Sports App widget is probably the best for keeping track of the score of your favorite team. The ESPN one would be equally good, but they were idiots and decided to fill an enormous amount of NC screen real estate with a dumb ad for one of their dumb podcasts. I just want to know if the Yankees are winning or losing goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

answersyouseek posted:

Any recommendations on news apps?

NYTimes app is really good.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
http://keysonic.dsonic.com

:psypop:

Why does this exist?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

If this was hourly (with %chance of rain) instead of 5 day, it'd be an insta-buy.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ChetReckless posted:

Check the Weather (data from forecast.io) just updated with its own widget now:

I like the data they chose to put up there but holy hell is it big.

Yeah, the data is perfect, but that is not a widget I will ever be putting on my screen because it's massive.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So, what's the go to for filling in PDF forms these days?

Ideally free?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Snoring posted:

Will any of the podcast apps "import" any of the data from Apple's podcast app? I'd like to try another app but I have a big backlog and lots of half listened to podcasts that I don't really want to manually redownload and scrub through.

Most will import your subscription lists, but I don't think any will keep track of your backlog or listened/unlistened statuses.

What I did when I switched apps was moved over my subscriptions, turned off new downloads in the old app I had been using, and listened to the backlog, letting a new one build up in the new app.

When I'd cleared the backlog, I switched over.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Claimed MHWE3YFTJ373

Thanks!

Edit:

Feature Request #1: Zalgo Text.

Feature Request #2: Upside Down Keyboard. Zalgo Keyboard. Etc.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 9, 2014

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

cbirdsong posted:

Is the "All Apple apps are free" thing only once per device? I picked up a used 5s, and iMovie still shows up as $5 for me.

Assuming that's the case, is there a better video editing app I should buy, or is iMovie the best choice?

No, it's tied to your iTunes account, but bugs out occasionally.

quote:

The iWork for iOS apps are free for anyone who has activated an iOS device for the first time since September 1, 2013. If your iOS device is older than that you will have to purchase the apps or a new device.

If your iOS device was activated for the first time after September 1, go to the App Store on your iPad which should open to Featured. If not, tap on Featured at the lower left of the screen & scroll down to Collections & tap on New to the App Store? then scroll down to Apps Made by Apple & tap. You should now see the iWork & iLife apps as "FREE."

You might also try signing out of your iTunes account, restarting the device, and accessing the store while not logged in.

If all else fails, contact support, but you shouldn't need to.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't use iCloud. Just Gmail. I really like Mailbox...I would be interested in that other e-mail app everyone was cumming over a little while ago but it just seemed a tad needlessly complex.

http://inky.com

Inky is another option that's also free.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

TheJoker138 posted:

It's got the weather for the next...hour. It's the most useless thing I could possibly imagine.

This is literally the whole reason that Dark Sky is even popular as an app.

Past one hour, it's forecasts go in the shitter anyway. This is fantastic.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

illcendiary posted:

Is it the Amazon card? That one's not supported.

This is amazingly petty and I can't believe I didn't foresee it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Skarsnik posted:

You mean instead of non electronic dance music?

Is that like line dancing or something?

You Americans are so crazy

(cool derail)

George Clinton would like a word.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kaizoku posted:

But what color is the icon?

Orange, obviously. Don't you read the thread?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The... The radio? If you aren't already listening to something on your phone in the car I don't even know what to say.

The radio is a pretty great way to get breaking news or listen to live sports.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

noirstronaut posted:

Any apps with nicely designed icons that are predominantly red but also have some orange?

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/wing-zone/id645497379?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/cards-and-castles/id674210616?mt=8

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

cryptoclastic posted:

I bought Goodreader, because everyone always says great things about it anyway. Unfortunately Dropbox is blocked at my work, but I will just have to make it work for now. Going to see if that new Spideroak is blocked at work tomorrow, and if it's not just have it sync the dropbox stuff if it can.

Goodreader can store stuff locally. You can also use iCloud or gdrive or any of a dozen other options.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

tuyop posted:

Siri integration is also sweet in a car. "Hey Siri, take me to Quebec City" is pretty awesome. Though it's ridiculous that Apple thinks I can get there in less than two days from Edmonton.

Driving nonstop? Sounds about exactly right.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Josh Lyman posted:

I assume other apps can as well, but Apple's Podcasts app can play at more than 1x. The biggest drawback I see to not using Podcasts is a lack of sync ability with iTunes, since I like to archive especially good episodes.

Smart Speed is not just "playing at more than 1x".

Overcast actually pre-processes the audio and cuts silences to speed up playback. This can be used in combination with faster playback speeds.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Josh Lyman posted:

Hmm, that's pretty nice. But it's a $5 unlock. :negative: I'm not sure there are many long periods of dead air during the podcasts I listen to.

I didn't think so either, but in two months, it's saved me 33 hours.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Just a heads up for those that normally wouldn't bother using it, awful.app now includes a systemwide SA Smilies keyboard extension.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Is there any reason as to why the App Store would be denying me access to the Google Play Music app on my iPad? It insists that another account already purchased a free app, or the store has otherwise cancelled a purchase that was never supposed to occur.

Try restarting the device/logging out of/into your iTunes account.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I don't use the Youtube app, but the website has been horrible for me in Safari since the last iOS update or two. About half the time when I watch a video, the 'done' button doesn't work to return me to the web page and I have to actually close the app from the application switcher (double tap home, swipe the tile up) to be able to do anything other than watch the video I opened.

It even persists if I switch apps and switch back or go to the home screen and open safari again or whatever unless I actually quit Safari.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Is it possible to get a push notification when I receive an e-mail from a specific address?

Yes.

Settings>Notifications>Mail>VIP

Then go to mail, open an email from that address, tap on the address in the from field, and Add to VIP.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Vidaeus posted:

Is there a good app for maps/GPS, preferably cheap or free that allows you to download large areas for use offline? I know google maps lets you do offline, but the areas are only pretty small, like whatever you can see on your screen. I want to be able to download a whole cityand be able to zoom in on street level and use this offline. Turn by turn navigation would be a plus.

Soon.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hughlander posted:

Is there a thread around for HealthKit compatible hardware or is it just passbook 2014 edition?

???

I use Passbook all the goddamn time.

It took a while to see adoption I guess, but at this point, it's super useful. I use it for movie tickets, to pay at starbucks, for concerts all over, whenever I fly, and for a handful of my more frequently used store loyalty cards.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Goodreader can do that I think.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

noirstronaut posted:

We should just make a list of things Goodreader can't do. Makes it easier on everybody.

It can't check in my beers to untappd, so that's at least one other app I can't delete.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ChetReckless posted:

I will say, as much as I like Overcast, the current version is annoying me. I tend to just throw all my podcasts onto a master playlist in a mix of old and new, fiddling with the order as I go. Recently it stopped remembering most of the changes I make to the order. It's such a little dumb thing but for some reason I find it irritating.

There's a sync bug that's supposedly fixed in the current beta that's causing this.

It also causes it to constantly redownload a bunch of my completed episodes with bookmarks at weird random places halfway in. :argh:

Should be getting fixed within a week or so according to Marco.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Overcast did it first and best. Voice Boost is it's other big feature along with Smart Speed, and it's so good that most people completely forget it exists.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ummm so I got Overcast and 2 new episodes have come out for the podcasts I'm subscribed to, but I didn't get push notifications about them despite push notifications being enabled for all of those podcasts (I checked each one and it was enabled on all of them. I guess they get enabled by default because I didn't do that myself.) I only found them because I opened the app, it found new episodes and started downloading them.

Is the app broken? Should I download a different podcast app that actually has working push notifications?

Current overcast version has a host of sync bugs. This might be one of them. Reportedly fixed in version that is currently sitting in App Store Review Hell.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Bottom Liner posted:

Dropbox or Box?

Dropbox for apps that sync directly to it and only to it.

MS one drive for everything else. (There was a lair of promos last week to get like... 225GB of storage for the next two years too.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

LionYeti posted:

Main problem is only the terrible creepy dudes will pay which doesn't solve the end user problem.

Theoretically, this might go a very long way to solve the spam/fake profile problem, which is a pretty massive one. Solving that might encourage more non-creepy dudes to come back and give the service a try again?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Convert it to AAC you dork.

Speaking of which, is there a preferred app for converting FLAC to AAC or MP3 on OS X these days? It's been literally years since I've bothered, and I've got a hard drive full of old concert bootlegs that I should maybe listen to every now and again, and gently caress doing that any way other than through my phone in TYOOL Two Thousand And Fifteen.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The App Store is kind of hosed at the moment, but once it's not, there's finally a great free alternative maps/driving directions app. http://360.here.com/2015/03/11/getting-started-ios-basics/

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Super Dude posted:

After reading that page, I don't really see what that offers over Google Maps besides more robust offline features. Do people drop their connection that often where this is an issue?

Also much better transit directions (in my experience) and map data in general.

Also, I just really don't like google maps.

And robust offline features are amazing if you ever travel internationally, and pretty great for travel in general if you don't have unlimited data, which most people don't.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

flosofl posted:

Cynical question of the day? What's their revenue stream (how do they fund this)? I'm real reluctant signing up for a "free" service and handing over data points like "where I am geographically when using app". It's why I'm reluctant to use Google Maps as well, since my data is their commodity as well. I guess I'm still of the mindset that I like the be the consumer that's sold an app, rather than being the product myself that's being sold.

I get that it's probably all VC cash right now, but eventually investors are going to want to see some kind of return on it.

HERE is Nokia's mapping product. They make most of their money selling map data to device manufacturers, auto manufacturers, etc. etc. etc.

Also the usual location based advertising when you search for a restaurant type pipe dreams.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Thanks for the review. I've been using Knock for a while and I like it a lot but it's always cool to see new stuff in the space.

Knock just feels cool to use.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Bummey posted:

Downcast is the current hot poo poo goon favorite. It's quite good.

That's a funny way to spell Overcast.

(Downcast is solid too, but there's no way Overcast isn't the "current hot poo poo goon favorite," emphasis on "current hot poo poo")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ChetReckless posted:

This annoys me to no end, but I like the app enough that I deal with it anyhow. I find that if you force close the app after re-ordering and re-open it, it will maintain the new playlist order.

I suspect it has to do with syncing the playlist from the web/server version of Overcast, and possibly with doing so with poor cellular reception.