Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I've been catching up with the thread on and off for a while and now I'm finally caught up I'd like to say thanks for your cathartic comentary on this trash.

Also why can't Dick's sister see the invisible man's 'shadow' in the sand? She definitely saw the fireball that she blocked in the last book. Ignoring that, as described wouldn't she have to be seeing the grains of sand where they would have been if the man wasn't there? Why doesn't she just see the man if she's unafected by the magic? This poo poo hurts my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's the one where Terry works through his feelings about anti-war protesters.

Also there is a long boring bit about crawling through a cave.

I can't remember much more but this book did get the biggest laugh out of me in the entire series for the you know the bit I'm talking about scene near the end.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Hero Richard beheading the evil (fat, female) anti-war protester for opposing the iraq war supporting the order was the part that made me lmao irl.

Edit: God I love how he told his men that they would have to kill their country men if they tried to stop them, then he just loving murders the first one he easily gets past just because he's angry.

Completely forgot about the business with Zedd arming the magic nuke just before seven different characters independently arrive to rescue him, that part was actually pretty funny.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 30, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I quit listening to this series during Richard's victory monologe to the universe at the end of the final trilogy. Not because it was awful bullshit but because I was half an hour in and he was repeating himself for what felt like the tenth time in a row and I just couldn't take it any more.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Stravag posted:

Isnt that when the sword of truth uses the white power of hate or whatever? The thing where Richard killing them saves their soul like with the mordsith he stolkholm syndromed to in book 1?
How could you forget so much about the pivotal moment where Richard unlocks the ultimate power of moral superiority and forgives his torturer to death with a sword powerup that I don't remember him ever using again?

Hate indeed, dick knows better than to fight his enemies with hate, he saves that for the true evils of the world like people who don't unquestioningly join his cause and unarmed protesters.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I've been watching Legend of the Seeker recently and it really funny how the quality of the show noticeably dips the closer an episode is to the Source material. Last one I watched adapted the sexy torture arc from book one and its loving terrible largely because there's entire scenes with actual dialogue from the book.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy

That's from episode 11 where Kahlan pretends to be a Mord Sith in order to rescue her sister from Prison. As I said the show is better the farther away from the events of the books it gets.

I actually saw the incredible Season 2 episode 'Princess' before I read any of the books so I was pretty upset when book Zedd never got to disguise himself as a dutchess and teach Cara etiquette lessons in rhyme as part of a scheme to infiltrate a castle's aristocracy.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 31, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's camp fun like your Hercules or Xenas but drat Bruce Spence plays an entertaining wizard.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Honestly its neat to see so much stuff from the first book come back in the final trilogy, but mainly because the books have been on a downward trajectory since the beginning so its nice to be reminded of a time when things were meerly kinda bad instead of an objectivist nightmare. Also we're going to get the answer to the question 'did Terry forget he put dragons in this series in the first place or is he just embarrassed to have them on the cover of his serious books about people?'

also if I remember the ending even a little we're in for some incredible bullshit.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

the_steve posted:

No, you see, Kahlan thought she was with someone else and dared to try to make the most of a lovely situation she had been forced into, and that is exactly the same as cheating on Richard and breaking his heart.
By book 4 I was really invested in just seeing how bad the books got out of morbid curiosity, but this was the one point where I went 'when this petulant fucker comes back from this magic bullshit temple if he doesn't IMMEDIATELY APOLOGIZE TO HIS loving WIFE I am done with this poo poo forever'. Thankfully(?) he apologized and I got to experience the rest of the story up until Richard failed my 'don't you loving dare say basically the same thing for the filth time in a row in this loving awful nonsense victory speech' ultimatum.

^^^^

the_steve posted:

I'm pretty sure he spends like half a paragraph in Faith of the Fallen (or whichever one it is where Nicci turns good) alluding to the idea that the dragons are probably dead from when the Chimes were loose, since dragons were magical creatures.

Yeah I know its just funny that we don't actually see one again until Terry got control of the book covers given how much he apparently hated the big loving dragon they stuck on the front of Wizard's first Rule.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 8, 2020

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I know Terry's poo poo and all but lol at the idea that putting one hand to both temples is impossible or strange? Like where do you think the temples are?

Guest2553 posted:

Let Goon Squad be that author. Didn't the forums write a disjointed book at some point where each person wrote a different chapter that carried a cogent plot forward with wildly different writing styles?
That actually sounds pretty rad, like one of those colaborations where a bunch of animators each do 30 seconds of shrek and stich it together but in book form.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Imagining that long bit about how Dick is automatically a genius Sculptor because he mastered the blade and thats basically the same thing when you really think about it, but instead of sculpting its loving

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
"Did you know Zedd, that Vagina is actually fantasy latin for 'sheath'?"

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Theres a lot of low points in the series and although 'actually all my murders are justified so not eating meat is making me sick' is pretty high I think the bit where Richard unlocks the power of his sword then kills the torture nun with the awesome power of forgiveness has it beat for neatly summing how wrongheaded Richard's character is.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

TheCenturion posted:

I remember calling it 'Scrawny Hercules' at the time, but yeah, it was a legit example of the genre.
Its really facinating to watch how book long storylines are effortlessly adapted into functing tv episode A plots while an entire original B plot is woven in that invariably ties in thematically with the A plot than anything in the books.

Like okay sure we're going to do the Mord Sith torture plot but lets tone down the bdsm a bit, have kahlan actually come and rescue him so we get some agency and a plot involving Kahlan pretending to be a Mord Sith. Then you get to put Richard under pressure to break the Sith Magic control when hes ordered to kill Kahlan, while simultaneously Richard begs Kahlan to confess him, which ties into the earlier B plot where Kahlan left Richard, scared that she may destroy him with her power. That led into a B plot where Kahlan joins another Confessor in a village, only to descover all the inhabitants are in her thrawl. So we have a parallel between the Mord Sith power of control and Kahlans fears about her own powers potential for harm (which also thematically connects to Kahlan impersonating a Mord Sith earlier in the episode).

Anyway theres a fight which ends with richard overcoming Denna's control and fatally stabbing her to stop her from killing Kahlan. The episode then bookends with Kahlan finally coming clean with richard about being a Confessor and a sting revealing that Denna used the Mord Siths power over Life and death to play dead and she'll be back as a recurring villain.

Its not shakespeare, but it is striking just how easy they made adapting complete dogshit into something that counts as a passable TV show and for the most part they do it using concepts and themes present but unutilized in the actual books.

Also Zedd is like the absolute perfect wizard performance I love it so much. Zedd is the best character in the books and Bruce Spence knocks it out of the park. S2E13 - Princess is an absolutely phenominal comedy of manners where Zedd has to impersonate a dutchess and coach Cara through impersonating a princess in a court where all women of high status are expected to talk in a spesific form of rhyming verse. They have to do this to rescue Kahlan from execution. Its the legend of the seeker version of that one bit where they go to the castle to try and get box of orden from the first book and its magnificent.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
God will see this and go 'yep that's a legally binding marriage if i ever saw one, now to write an elaborate cuckholding prophecy'

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I stopped reading when the original series ended but i cannot fathom any of the later books being Worse than Temple of the Winds, loving messed up contrived bullshit followed by Richard moping alone in a magic temple instead of saving the world from an actual plague because his wife enjoyed his dick wrong.

Anyway looking forward to more Avatar poo poo, i love Uĺtima 9 as an example of a long running series completely making GBS threads the bed on multiple levels, very interested in seing another weird bad take on ultima.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Stravag posted:

If youre gonna get semi clothed ladies on your knife sheath why not just get naked ladies instead? Like if youre getting cringey poo poo dive deep into it and roll with it

The tasteful option is to have a transparent sheath with the bikini printed on it, like those novelty nudey lady pens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'll still never get over the whole 'its regretable that we will have to fight your own people to free them' followed by immediately gleefully beheading a anitwar protester. Its telling that despite how awful these books are they get especialy spiteful when you get to the parts where the author tries to own his real life political enemies.

I've never understood the dislike for Pillars of creation, by that point in my audiobook binge i was really, really ready to not hear a word of dialogue from Rick Rahl and a book largely about hunting and killing him was a lot of fun until the ending. Could have been a great end to the series imo