Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Personally I'd want some sort of cap on the amount of years a SCOTUS judge can serve. The idea that they are there until they decide to quit or literally die in the chair is crazy and those nine have a huge amount of personal political power. It just feel's wrong that a guy put into power by a President over twenty years ago is still making rulings on things that are highly political or if you screw up and that guy turns out to be terrible and incompetant you just have to deal with it until he drops dead.

I think that something like you serve through four presidential terms would be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

radical meme posted:

They've now identified up to 80 people that came into contact with our patient zero here in Texas. The hate is gonna be unreal if it spreads even a little and the irony that being a country without universal health care may have helped it to spread.

I can't wait for the Sunday morning news pundits to tell me the "serious" solution is to close all the borders and refuse all immigrants.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

We might as well be reading chicken bones instead of nine people trying to determine what about eighty dudes really wanted over two hundred years ago and why we have to follow that now.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously the attitude that leftists won't vote for Democrats unless they are the next coming of Lenin is idiotic when the party generally either ignores issues until their hands are forced or shifts farther to the right. When some guy comes out endorsing universal health care, re-enacting new financial regulations, or stronger civil rights laws to protect minorities and the liberals all stay home since the banks weren't nationalized then maybe it will be a point.

Simply saying the boat could be sinking faster isn't going to motivate people regardless of the truth that we'd be worse under the other guys.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 3, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's slick.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

An Angry Bug posted:

You're asking the wrong question. A better one would be "what should the Democrats do to keep their voter base from being suppressed into nothing?" Or better yet, how about you make an argument instead of telling others to put forward stuff for you to shoot down?

To be fair to the Democrats in that regard the GOP has the ace in the hole when they can just get bullshit lawsuits up to the SCOTUS where they will just make up a reason that only landed gentry were intended by the founders to vote and anything against that is unconstitutional.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pohl posted:

Truthfully, gently caress blue dogs. I'd rather have a combative congress than have to deal with the loving blue dogs again.

Me too, gently caress them I hope they fade away and never come back. Blue dogs make it easy to build a narrative when they vote along with Republicans and then when those policies gently caress us over you can say that the Democratic majority was the problem like the Reagan congress.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well the DNC thinks that one magic issue is "at least we're not republicans" and it doesn't seem to be engaging those voters very well.

Don't forget "it's all the leftists' fault" when they lose regardless of if Joe McModerate decided to either stay home or vote for the Republicans despite sliding rightward.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 3, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought that was all just a scam so they could claim there were no U.S citizen applicants and thus allowing them to hire people on Visas from outside the country.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

gently caress this country.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

She also kept all her records in unsecured excel and had previously been involved in ethic violations.

I know that they didn't find any evidence of fraud but if the parties had been reversed, we'd still be having congressional investigations into that election and it would be line 1 on every fund-raising letter sent out.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 13, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Washington Post ran that story and the comments were full of the usual talking points about how easy it is to get ID, how you need ID to buy cigarettes why not to vote, and how in the last election there were 1.8 million dead voters on the rolls. Typically they didn't bother responding when other people pointed out how their arguments were garbage so hopefully voter ID becomes synonymous with Jim Crow to the general public sooner than later.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'd love to see someone propose a law to make repeatedly sending out faulty voting information a felony with a twenty year jail sentence just to see which scum objects and what absurd reasoning they use. The amount of stuff people in power get away with because "well you don't know that I'm doing this stuff with malicious intent, I could just be incredibly incompetent :smugdog:" is really irritating.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

anonumos posted:

Misleading voters IS a felony...

Yeah but what's the jail sentence? (sorry it was redundant and poorly phrased when I said it there)

I mean maybe it's already that high but it doesn't seem like you hear about people going away for that long.

EDIT:
Actually looking into punishments, it seems like it wasn't a federal crime and there was a bill to fix that.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s1994#overview

quote:

Deceptive Practices and Voter Intimidation Prevention Act of 2011 - Amends the Revised Statutes and federal criminal law to prohibit any person, whether acting under color of law or otherwise, from knowingly misleading voters regarding: (1) the time or place of holding any federal election, (2) the qualifications for or restrictions on voter eligibility for any such election, or (3) an endorsement.

It died for obvious reasons. I am not well versed in these so I'm not sure if what it did was covered in existing laws or not.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 13, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Teddybear posted:

Generally felonies have a jail sentence of at least a year and a day.

Good to learn, thanks.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I heard the "we know he has chemical weapons even without evidence since we gave them to him!" argument during the lead up to the Iraq war but I don't think it caught on that well since it puts an obvious tarnish on our hero complex image. It's not surprising to see them trying anything to save face from that mess.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fan shares have plummeted.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Does he explain exactly how they are going to do that?

I could see the Republican controlled congresses passing an incredibly watered down immigration reform bill that doesn't make immigrants happy which the Democrats either don't want or can't filibuster and then try and pretend that makes them a friend of Latinos.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think the problem with that is that anyone who actually wants immigration reform isn't going to be fooled. It will probably be enough to make Beltway media and pundits gush though.\

FlamingLiberal posted:

I find the Biden family's drug issues horribly ironic considering Biden himself has been a consistent Drug Warrior going back into the Reagan years.

Honestly it really pisses me off since it's a pretty striking example of our two tiered justice system and no one really calls him on it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

Does most of the country actually care what gets done, though? Or will they be happy that something is getting done? Obviously the people affected won't be fooled, but I feel like there's a massive contingent out there that will be happy that something is getting done, regardless of what it is.

I don't think enough people want it done just for the sake of it. You either care enough about Immigration Reform to want it done at least semi-correctly, you actively oppose it because THEY TOOK OUR JOBS AND THEY'RE STEALING OUR WELFARE, or you don't care at all. I do think you'll hear a lot about how awesome it was that congress actually did something and they deserve a cookie from talking heads but I don't think that will really translate into a higher approval rating or flipped votes.

Also EBOLA TSAR has to be the worst job title.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Who the gently caress tests positive for cocaine? That poo poo's out of your system in like a day or something.

Maybe he's doing cocaine every day or got really unlucky.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Biden decides to run in the primaries I'll vote for Hillary with no reservations if she asks him why he feels his family should be immune to the drug laws he supports during a debate (she won't).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/where-the-tea-party-rules-20141014

So this is a real good article you should read. I have family in and from Lima and have spent a lot of time there, and this is depressingly accurate. Lima was tea party since the 80s at least, and the current result is how those policies shake out.

Honestly I don't think many people have much faith left in government even if they aren't Tea Partiers. While the Republicans and more specifically the Tea Partiers are actively trying to burn the country to the ground and loot whatever ruins are left, the Democrats don't really seem to have much of a plan outside of swaying to public opinion on social issues (and not actually leading until it becomes clear those specific issues are popular) and sacrificing labor, minorities, and the poor in order to gain the favor of financial interests which are needed to win elections. Obviously the Democrats are much less terrible but we've reached a point where more and more of America doesn't really see a difference and becoming disillusioned in the ability of our leaders to help which results in more stupid "well let private interests handle it" making things worse. The Republicans obviously have done their best to make life as miserable as possible for people in order to tarnish Obama's image, but it's really not like he's doing tons to reign in the corrupt financial that crashed the economy or end the indentured servitude recently graduated college students have found themselves in. Regardless of if it was deserved or not, a lot of people put faith in Obama to change stuff and he turned out to be just another guy committed to the status quo.

I really don't see an endgame here other than a theocratic third world nightmare with a few hold out areas in fifty years or so as the cuts to education really sink in, public assets and the environment is sold to the highest bidder, and more and more wealth becomes consolidated in the hands of a tiny percentage of Americans. It doesn't help much that it seems as soon as someone gets any sort of success they fall into the "gently caress you, got mine" mentality a large part of our media hammers into us at all times.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 17, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dystram posted:

Ideally education but probably nothing until the cohort that relies on the MSM for its information ages out of the voting population.

You have to be retarded to think Democrats === Republicans at every level of government. It just so happens that most voters are retarded. Hell, you can point to, historically, Republicans doing the damage that has lead to these peoples' ills and they are still in the "durr both sides are bad durr" camp. People are just dumb.

From the comments:

Like I said, loving retards.

From their point of view they voted for Obama initially and things haven't improved. Obviously most of that is due to the GOP sabotaging the government but it's not like the media is really eager to point fingers instead of generic "both sides can't compromise" stories.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dystram posted:

"I voted for Obama and things haven't changed, so I'm going to vote for the other guys who screwed things up so much that it made me vote for Obama" is a really loving stupid thing to think.

The problem is stupidity and a lack of civics knowledge. People have no idea how government works. They think the President is King and that the office is the only thing that matters. The media fuels this of course. So you're looking at things being terrible for as long as people keep the TV on.

I think it has a lot to do with lowered education budgets, irresponsible but pervasive media pushing narratives that may or may not be factual, and the incredible stress of having your life fall apart and being in debt while pursuing the "American Dream." There's a lot of very powerful factors that actively want people to vote against their own interests and it can be very difficult to get around those if you don't know better. For instance the Southern Aristocracy has four hundred years of experience in getting poor whites to hate poor blacks instead of the people actually loving them over and that's very difficult to turn around.

Outside of Fox News most media outlets like to present the problem of our government as a lack of compromise instead of one side being center right and the other having fallen off the cliff in to John Birch hell so it's not surprising that often when one party fails people say gently caress it and vote for the other if they aren't knowledgeable about reality.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 17, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I love when Democrats use the "I'll shift far right and obviously the leftists won't leave me while the right wing will abandon the GOP and I'll get ALL the votes" plan.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Clearly NOT banning black people is just as racist as banning them :smugdog:"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Reagan's Other United States

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Will my guns get the suffrage in RACIST?

You get one vote per gun and the total amount gained is unlimited.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

I don't agree with the author.

"It wasn’t the KKK that wrote the slave codes. It wasn’t the armed vigilantes who conceived of convict leasing, postemancipation. It wasn’t hooded men who purposefully left black people out of New Deal legislation"

It was in fact the Klan doing those things. The Klan *were* the respectable members of society. In some places, you practically had to be in the klan to get anywhere in the local white society. That we think of the klan as redneck yokels only speaks to the success of anti-klan forces to de-legitimatize the klan.

There's a book called "Boy's Life" which takes place in the Ssuth with some fantastical elements that I read as a young kid and one part really creeped me out since it was real and I hadn't thought about it much at the time. They had a few characters that through the eyes of the main character (a white boy) were regular folks and one even did some stuff a good person would do. Then in a later chapter it's revealed that a bunch of these characters were secretly Klan members and you'd never know it since the book hadn't really given you an indication that they were over the top racist publicly. At that point my impression of the KKK was dudes in white sheets and hadn't thought that when they weren't in those robes they could be anybody.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Isn't Chris Cristie still an option? It sounds like bridghazi didn't really stick and honestly I'm not sure what kind of scandal would scare away Republican voters at this point as long as he's not actually going to court over one.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

loquacius posted:

You're right that nobody gives a poo poo about Bridgegate, but they all hated him anyway for daring to work together with B. Hussein Obola over such a piddly little thing as "hurricane relief".

That's true but I figure once he's up against those other guys and is deemed "most electable" they'll forget about that since the alternative is Hillary. Also because Obama will suddenly be ok and he worked with Republicans unlike Hillary which will be the Worst President Ever.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Did she set it down at any point and do a festive dance around it?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

There's no such thing as a "moderate" Republican after 2000. It's really just how much of an rear end in a top hat you are while you are implementing far right policy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

Not unless you want to ban high capacity magazines. He shot the attacker while he was reloading.

Someone at the NRA just shed a single tear.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

As someone that lives close to that area a percentage of federal workers are idiots that think all the OTHER federal workers are the lazy ones getting a free ride, see also teachers.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

nutranurse posted:

How can you look at that face and say "no, I find you ugly and repulsive."

I'm with you crabs are oddly cute until you get REALLY close and see their weird mouths.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How much worse was the New York GOP candidate when the Democratic one is saying we need to leave our educational system to the whims of the free market?

Cumo is impressively lovely though in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I've recently given up soda so that scare won't work on me :smugdog:

• Locked thread