Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I still can't believe they're bringing in Captain loving Boomerang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm so happy that people are acting like weirdos about Laurel in the Arrow thread. Again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hef Deezy posted:

Katie also posted this on FB a few days ago -- dem guns

Okay maybe its the perspective or the light or something but jesus no matter what.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Regarding the motorcycle-arrow joust, I think it would have been better if they cut out the second pass and just went with the first and third. With all three its just Oliver not really doing anything for 20 seconds and letting the bad guy shoot at him.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

Black Dynamite season 2 has started for all you Bronze Tiger fans.

Seriously? Hot drat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Y'know, I used to just sigh and shake my head whenever people brought up the possibility of Diggle eventually becoming the Green Lantern of this TV universe.

But the more we roll along, the less utterly batshit impossible that sounds.

Because if they want to establish an iconic GL + GA + Flash teamup, they literally already have all the potential pieces on the board.

As has been said before, John Diggle, middle name Stewart. Make it happen DC.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

VDay posted:

My favorite part is that the turrets still missed. I love it when super crazy/futuristic automated turrets/weapons in sci-fi shows/movies are somehow horribly inaccurate. Computers are like, super good at math guys.

I'd have to watch it again but I'm pretty sure the first turret that Oliver shoots at and then shoots back at Oliver basically just... aimed completely away from him as soon as it started firing. I don't know if it was supposed to be tracking the arrow or what but it was pretty confusing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arrow is kind of losing me this season. It seems like it wanted to tone it down for a bit, I guess for when Ras shows up to crank it up again, but it also isn't really doing anything all that interesting either. The flashback sequences are in the same boring holding pattern as well so I don't even get that to stay interested. I don't really expect every episode to connect the overarching plot for the season - Season 2 of Arrow didn't and The Flash isn't either and both were/are great - but entire plot threads have been dropped for way too long to keep interest in them, Thea especially. We see her training as a ninja or whatever and now she's just back at the nightclub and dealing with CW's idea of a top notch DJ? Ugh. It's quite possible I might just be an impatient idiot because its only been 3 episodes since we've seen Ras but those 3 episodes haven't really been all that great, even as filler episodes go.

Hopefully the crossover picks Arrow back up.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Proposition Joe posted:

I think that the season will/might pick up once we get find out who is the season's main villain and the main plot starts.

There, my thoughts summed up in one sentence. We don't have a villain, we don't have a plot, we just have really ham-handed character metaphors in filler episodes and Laurel training to beat people up (after the writers forgot she could already do that).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If it gets Arrow out of the rut that it appears to beginning to fall into with its latest filler-ish episodes I'm all for it. Forcing the occasional more creative way to dispatch the bad guy other than hacking, regular arrows, and punching would be nice. Though I suppose my main problem with the last few episodes is the character driven stuff so even if it can't fix that it'll at least be a bit more fun!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Writh posted:

I regret paying to see that in the theater, hilariously bad though. I almost blacked out laughing when I first saw this scene. That and, "If I see you in hell, I'll kick you up!"

Wait, Punisher War Zone was actually in theatres?

Fake Edit: Holy poo poo, it had a budget of loving $35 million? :stare:

Until now I thought it was just a great dumb straight-to-video movie.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hcreight posted:

Roy had to work shifts at Verdant. Bam. Problem solved.

I'd say it's more of a question as to how Felicity keeps getting ridiculous amounts of time off from her job as Vice President of a corporation.

I laughed pretty hard when Felicity literally asked Oliver for time off last episode.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Needs more belts.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hollismason posted:

It was incredibly lovely advice, that's the whole problem that Arrow has is he's all " My crusade" and all that bullshit about being a lone wolf who doesn't need anybody etc.. etc..

It's just gotten tiring at this point. Something needs to change drastically for the show not to be just depressing Oliver every week. Green Arrow is not Batman.

If Diggle can't be Green Lantern the least he can do is live up to the Black Driver legacy and take Oliver on a life-changing road trip across America.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BSam posted:

You do know you're watching a show called Arrow, right?

Not every villain on The Flash is a speed character. I don't disagree with him at least. Season 1 and 2 were fine, even when the League showed up with their own bows in 2 since we still had Deathstroke but now we've had two kind of D-list villains (their first suspect for Sara's death, Cupid) show up with their own bows and its starting to get a little tired. Captain Boomerang was great for multiple reasons, but I'd be lying if I said thinking "Finally, someone who doesn't use a bow" wasn't a small part of it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Martout posted:

That's why I was so happy with the suicide squad ep because it gave us more Michael Jai White. This season has felt a little sluggish so far, crossover naturally excluded because jesus gently caress, and doing more colourful villains like Boomerang and Bronze Tiger and letting them have more screen time and maybe another ep or two could have alleviated that while we waited for the DNA test.

At least we have the Black Dynamite series.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I don't see why you introduce Hong Kong dude into this story unless he or Katana are going to be the one who saves Oliver. I think he does it and Ra's kills him for it, but Ra's lets Oliver live since he already died once and he knows he didn't kill Sara. But Oliver's commitment to die to protect the killer will sell Ra's and Nyssa on giving him time or believing that it was all Merlyn.

All that will play out over the next few episodes while everyone in Starling City thinks Oliver is dead. Nyssa will show up and tell them and everyone will grieve. Roy may take up the green hood and try and protect the city in Oliver's absence. Laurel will find out about Merlyn's role and don the Canary gear to help Roy, honor Oliver, and seek revenge for Sara and Ollie. Ray will don the ATOM gear and become the new star of Starling. Someone will have to figure out what to tell Thea.

The final shot of the next episode will be Oliver resurrecting after a fool episode of mourning. Then after a few episodes of recovery and politics with the League he'll return to Starling to everyone's shock.

Honestly, it all sounds like a lot of fun to me and a classic comic story. And I'm really interested to see how the Thea thing goes. Part of me imagines a scenario where they tell Thea everything, Roy puts on the green hood and Thea puts on the red one introducing her as Speedy. But its probably way too early for that unless they do a months long time jump. But even without that I'm really curious to see what Team Arrow tells Thea and how she takes it.

Personally I'm on the edge of my seat to find out where the DJ subplot is going.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I mean, he hasn't showed up since the club opening. Maybe that was just their idea of how to get Thea onscreen a few times before her arc comes up.

Yeah, I'm really hoping that's exactly what it was. Or maybe an episode turned up a few minutes short after editing and they needed to fill the gap. Anything to make it not come up again ever.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh good, I was worried Roy was about to get too much screentime :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

laplace posted:

Does Ollie go back to the island every few days to feed his criminal pets or are they just starved to death?

those cells are a little too nice to be used just for starvation.

ARGUS runs the prison.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I dont know posted:

Just a reminder that Thea's middle name has already been confirmed as Dearden and her longstanding nickname is Speedy. So they already have used that particular winking allusion already.

I wonder how much writers have to worry about what references they can use to wink at the audience without compromising any potential future use for them.

"We should bring in XXX."

"We already had a character mention XXX's secret identity as a toss-away dead person's name in Season 1."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

John Stewart Diggle

Gonna keep saying it until it happens.

I mean, it's perfect. You can even use Diggle's Black Driver history as the basis for taking Oliver on a healing road trip around the US!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

imperialparadox posted:

This is also the show with miracle herbs that cure all kinds of things, that the protagonist generally keeps for himself (as opposed to using them to help all kinds of people). Yeah, I don't really find the "100 foot not-so-bad" fall that satisfying, but it's looking like that is what happened.

It's going to be a bit disappointing if there isn't something supernatural-ly screwy with Oliver's return. Whatever that plant is might suffice if it gets some more background in course of explaining how it cures stabbings but now that The Flash has uttered those very special words Arrow just going "You were dead!" "I got better." seems like it'll just fall completely flat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Really, really annoyed at how they pussied out of Oliver dying. Getting stabbed in the heart (seemingly retconned to below the chest) and kicked off a cliff (specifically then shown to be a long enough fall to break his bones and probably turn him into mush). But no, it's just a minor stab wound and a bit of rest and medication and he's fine in a matter of weeks (?). Blech. I was worried about how they might handle lazarus pits, but that would've been a lot better, especially considering they kinda set them up with Ra's's age line.

And every scene with Laurel is STILL the worst. Felicity convincing her to keep vigilante-ing was really bad - undoing the one good, sensible decision she made. Her lies to her father and her magical dead-sister voicebox device are terrible. It's nice that they show her screwing up every now and then (fumbling the landing on the van), but instead of her inevitable and unreasonably quick improvement - honestly, the best thing they could do with that plot right now is have her try to disarm a gunman with her staff and be a little too slow and just get shot.

Also doesn't the show usually try and make League henchmen kinda formiddable (remember that first one we encountered who fought Ollie and Sara to a standstill?) and not as easily disposed of as they were by Maseo and his wife? That was WEAK.

Finally, a nitpick: people mentioned Roy's line about "I was trained by Ollie and had years on the streets." It was as clumsy as the dialogue can always been on this show. But for some reason it just irks me that they didn't make it something like "I was trained by Ollie and I grew up in the Glades - I've been fighting my whole life." Something that would have related more to the character and the city, and sounded less like someone else writing a biography would say.

Remember the inverse ninja law. One ninja, or at least fewer ninjas than their opponents, is/are a nigh-invincible force. The League assassin was the one outnumbered by Ollie and Sara, therefor he was the formidable one. In the cabin, Maseo and Katana were outnumber 4 to 2, so they were the badass ones. In the fight in the church or whatever in season 2 with Ollie, Sara, and Lance they were evenly matched so it was a pitched and tense fight.

AbstractNapper posted:

The theory about Ra's intentionally not killing Oliver makes no sense from what we actually saw.
Oliver pretty much coughs out blood after being stabbed in the chest. And in addition to that he is thrown off a cliff.
That is 3 things right there that would kill you irrevocably.

Of course nobody expected the Arrow to die permanently. But what we got is in sharp contrast with the writing/ ideas that led to the cliffhanger before the holidays break.

Eh, we don't actually know how they revived him yet. I have to believe he actually was dead when they found him as they used the words "bring you back to life" rather dramatically. All I really think it needs is something more than "magic herbs" again or "you actually weren't quite dead."

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 31, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Warmachine posted:

This is some :tviv: that I wouldn't have expected them to toss out as a promo clip.

It's exactly what you toss out as a promo clip because its almost certainly the opening. Now all you can do is think "Oh man, I have to see what he's going to do about that."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Whizbang posted:

:goonsay:

It's a comic book show. Chill out duder.

The very fact that its a comic book show is why there are posts like this. Embrace the nerdrage. Also:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Next week on Arrow: Oliver gets punched in the face by a random mook and he hits his head against a solid object. He suffers a traumatic brain injury and dies.

Is why TV shows need dramatic explanations for dramatic cliffhangers. For every real story of a random person that survives a 10 story fall onto concrete with nothing but a few broken bones there are 100 people that trip over their dog in their home, crack their head on a shelf, and bleed out into their own brain.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Psh.

Bow &Arrow force.

Or as its been known for a week or so now, the Lars Anderson Force.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This thread has some specifically consistent opinions about women's faces.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

greatn posted:

No, moved to another town. Got injured in a fight by Huntress and decided Starling was to dangerous.

Smartest thing a cop in Starling ever did.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's a tiny thing but I thought the neatest part of the last episode was the shot where Oliver fires one of those fire arrows and you actually see it travel until it hits the guy. After seeing so many jump cuts between loosing an arrow and just having it appear in something that was nice. Wouldn't be surprised if during the shoot someone thought "Hey, if these arrows are on fire was can actually see one travel a long distance" and they just did it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

VDay posted:

I have no idea if this is actually accurate at all or not, but I always figured Ray's suit was more about having a bunch of random gadgets and poo poo in it, rather than being some kind of Iron Man-esque super tank armor for him.

It always seemed like it was going to be more of an exoskeleton (ie. it'll augment him, not necessarily protect him from bullets) with some padding and lasers on it rather than turning him into Robocop to me as well. Though I'm sure there will be a scene where he gets hit in the chest with a bullet or something and smirks while the bad guy stares in amazement instead of shooting for his face.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 15, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

I dunno, Bronze Tiger felt very D-list when he showed up on this show. He seemed to be simply a decent close combat fighter with non-permanent claws, i.e. a lame, non-metahuman version of Wolverine. I know that he has beaten the Batman in the comics but in Arrow he was very ordinary and not a very big threat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC2p3_OJDRw

It was mostly that he was played by Black Dynamite.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sir Potato posted:

I'm actually quite curious how they're going to bring Ollie back to the island for the fifth season and not make it seem shoehorned in.

That's the easy part though. He needs to get back to the city without raising suspicion so he goes back to the island and gets "rescued."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sir Potato posted:

Goddamn it WB. I mean, the budget for Arrow has shrunken so much that it'd be really hard to do a good GL in action, but even just to have him there for a little bit would be great. Something to spice it up. And Ollie and Hal were besties in the comics, weren't they?

John (Stewart) Diggle taking Oliver on a healing roadtrip across America is still on the table at least. He's already the Black Driver!

Proposition Joe posted:

Green Lantern is the lamest losah in the DC universe and I'm glad he isn't going to show up.

There are already plenty of characters in the show and it's time to give Thea and Laurel some decent crime-fighting screen time.

But yeah, considering how badly they fumbled with Roy introducing more heroes just seems like a bad idea for the rest of the cast. Green Arrow, Black Driver, Speedy/Red Arrow, Black (is she officially Black yet?) Canary, plus guest stars is a lot already. Even Diggle, Oliver's best friend, hasn't really gotten a whole lot of dedicated screen time lately.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

I went looking through the comments section on that Arrow-Dome/The Quiver/The House That Arrow Built story plus the talk here about season 3 and it got me to wondering about something I've always felt since watching the end of Season 3...

Was season 4 already booked/under contract or were they ever worried about being picked up again? Cause honestly that stupid as hell "i'm so haaaaaaaapppyyyyyyyyyyyy" season finale felt more like a Welp-we-weren't-renewed finale.

And if the latter wasn't the case oh my god fire all the writers.

Hey, if it actually leads into Oliver and Felicity being written like something resembling actual people, that's almost actual character development right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Trigger discipline, Diggle! God.

• Locked thread