Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It is going to be filled to the brim with bugs.

paradox has a bad habit of releasing expansions that are kinda buggy and then by the time they're fixed they've announced the next expansion and i'm all "oh that sounds cool i'll wait for that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

DICKHEAD posted:

If you want Total War type battles check out Ultimate General: Gettysburg made by some Total War modder guy who uses Darth Vader as his online avatar i n the year 2014

despite darth being a super whiny baby gettysburg loving rules

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

tbh total wars strategic side is only good as a way of setting up interesting tactical battles though

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i have like three tests this week so i wont be able to play charlemagne when it drops :smith:

i might just let it run overnight just to see what the map looks like in the morning

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

also the groggames thread is falling all over commander: the great war which is now back on steam, i should be getting it in a couple days to see how it is

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

aow is supposed to add a bunch of provinces/nations to mesoamerica tho

e: thats what i get for closing the korsun pocket instead of reloading

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

in my observe game it's 896 and the karlings are basically extinct

charlemagne bought it in some random battle in like 780 and now the only male karling left is a bishop

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

OkieMurse posted:

If I end up with a real bitch wife I like to throw them in the prison forever if they're dangerous or ignore them if they're not and take concubines and say yes to all the adultery events.

I try not to kill them or divorce them if I can help it. Unless I'm English.

but the first is basically henry II irl

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

OkieMurse posted:

Henry II was the first divorce?

I can't find info on H2 of France or H2 of England getting a divorce. Both were survived by their wives as far as I know.

H2 of England's wife had recently annulled her marriage with Louis VII of France though.

nah i was talking about 'leave your wife locked up and then gently caress everything in a skirt'

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i am now sleeping with the wife of my comatose son

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lotsa ppl in games thread really upset that it's harder to mindlessly blob across the map

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

OkieMurse posted:

From everything I've seen, it should significantly hamper the blob but we'll see how it works over time. Haven't gotten into blobbyness myself yet, I have yet to unite Ireland (been waiting 15 years for a drat CB)

the muslims are annoyingly stable but they were apparently bugged, see how it shakes out

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

elf help book posted:

heres what i learned in american public schools:
civil war was bad

were they perchance southern schools?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm trying to get a 0/8/9/0/5 to murder his siblings and reunify poland, maybe adopt feudalism too

e: kinslayer too

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

he's at 4 or 5 base diplomacy and still at 0 cause he's got like -6 from traits

on the plus side if i can get rid of some of those he'll rule. kinslayer only goes away with indulgences right?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

DICKHEAD posted:

Anyway I got smashed in the second tutorial by the Transylvanians. Cripes.

yeah that scenario was a bitch and a half, their cav is surprisingly good and since breaking an enemy starts a pursuit you can't follow up with charges on the infantry

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

DICKHEAD posted:

Maybe there's a future expansion planned for Mughal conquest or something? That would have elephants and roughly the right tech. I know they want to add more campaigns.

it also mentions mesoamericans, conquest of the new world campaign maybe?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

nope, it's just a bunch of scenarios you can play in any order, it's not really a campaign. also the battles only have one playable side which kinda blows

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

zeal posted:

a campaign mode for the 30 Years War would necessitate soooo many character-directed war crimes

i've played the COIN games, it's all cool

DICKHEAD posted:

It's just missions. They seem to be mostly What Ifs where you play the side that lost historically. The level editor they used to make the in game missions is available + a skirmish mode that generates pretty drat good battles of any size and include armies you don't see in the main game (Polish and Ottoman for example)

related: winged hussars are insane 420 frontally assault infantry erryday
e: fortunately the ottomans all seem to have left their pikes at home

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

babypolis posted:

drat. game looks and sounds cool but i dont think i could enjoy something with no narrative or progression

it's basically a board wargame but with a bunch of stats that would be hell to keep track of without a computer, not a traditional campaign game

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You might have the Map Gamer Spirit if..your heart skips a beat when you see this picture.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

I've never played in Ireland because islands are way too static, Poland is actually a pro-tier starting choice in every bookmark, though. Being one of the Polish High Chiefs will help you learn about de jure realms and expansion strategies, while the king of poland in the 1066 bookmark is really handy if you want to get the hang of managing vassals since you get a good amount of counts and dukes who aren't too powerful.

i tried the king of poland from 1066 when i first played the game and it was pretty neat until the mongols showed up

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

this is basically what its like living east of the hre

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i did do a game pre-2.0 where i managed to have basically the PLC borders but the mongols never showed up. then the muslims invaded through spain and took over half of europe, so i ended up owning all of europe after a couple crusades

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

DICKHEAD posted:

Maybe i'll do a tribal poland game. i lost interest in ireland as soon as i civilized.

picts might be cool because you can raid all the english minors though

making it so you can raid same religion is a huge buff to them now cause you can go after tribal pomerania, also all your immediate neighbors are weak (moravia usually explodes into an independence revolt that coincidentally happens to include everyone you need to form poland) until the magyars come knocking

DICKHEAD posted:

i wish antipopes worked differently

i won't be happy until we get the great schism and the avignon papacy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

that guy is loving married to the idea of age demographics in victoria for abosolutely no good reason and his posts are way to fuckin long

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

so my king died literally days before i formed the kingdom of poland :suicide:

fortunately ive put all my poo poo back together, now just gotta raid pomerania until ive got money to convert to feudalism and hope the germans send missionaries my way

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

Do missionaries actually convert provinces or just people? I've never had them convert a province, so missionaries are really useless. The best way to convert your kingdom is to convert from a concubine at medium organization so that you can revoke everyone's titles in your realm and divvy them all up to idiots and relatives to make a crazy powerful country.

last time i converted from paganism a missionary converted my heir. it makes the transition a little smoother if you've got some same-religion vassals and courtiers

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

today my eight year old sister asked me why my ck2 character had so many half-brothers, and also what a concubine was

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

why wont people with +30 opinion of me vote to increase tribal org

e: the improve martial event where you beat the poo poo out of a bunch of drunken peasants rules

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 27, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

any advice on adventurers? got one showing up with 8K troops when i can raise about half that. i might let him win and then just form a faction to put me back on the throne (since he's slavic and all my vassals are catholic) but some dipshit'll probably declare independence

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Wormskull posted:

I always just assassinated them.

very funny

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Mercenaries. Let him split his stack to siege and bait him into unfavourable terrain. Also he'll probably boat over each stack individually so you can kill them as they disembark.

i'll try that again, but even with mercs it'll be tricky. unfortunately he spawned literally right next to me

Luigi Thirty posted:

byzantium is so filthy rich you don't really need good stewardship unless you need to consolidate for a reign. i try to breed as many of my kings into brilliant strategists as i can.

my magyar game i had a king that ended up with 28 martial, Winter Warrior, and Light Infantry Expert and i was beating lithuanian armies nearly twice my size defensively

i usually like to give my second sons martial educations since you don't have to have your king lead the armies personally

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ya they removed the ability to just send assassins after guys, you have to plot manually. it's a decent change for internal stuff so you have to bribe and wheedle your way into getting a plot going but for assassinating enemies in foreign courts it's a huge fuckin pain

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i had an adventurer with no connection to me attack from carsaconne to poland

he send three armies each of 1500 men by ship where they were easily destroyed on landing and kept the other ones attritting away in mountains. plus he had like 500 gold on him so i got to build a town out of that

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Res publica is good. If you're planning on playing republics I'd get it.

nice av

is aow broken at all right now? been playing path of exile but i'll get into eu if it works

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Listening to the metally song pack on youtube to decide whether I want it...sounds fairly epic tbh.

'ride forth victoriously' metal version owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29h3IMVPDD4

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

zeal posted:

The Schwedentrunk (English: Swedish drink) is a method of torture and execution. The name was invented by German victims of Swedish troops during the Thirty Years' War. This method of torture was administered by other international troops, mercenaries, and marauders, and especially by civilians following the Swedish baggage train, who received no pay. It was used to force peasants or town citizens to hand over hidden money, food, animals, etc., or to extort sex from women.

Even though 15% to 20% (locally up to 60%) of the German population perished due to violence, famine, and disease during the war, the memory of the Schwedentrunk was preserved. The method was immortalized in one of the first widely read German books, the satirical Der abenteuerliche Simplicissimus published by Hans Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen in 1668.

“ Den Knecht legten sie gebunden auf die Erd, stecketen ihm ein Sperrholz ins Maul, und schütteten ihm einen Melkkübel voll garstig Mistlachenwasser in Leib, das nenneten sie ein Schwedischen Trunk ”

Its English translation is:
“ They lay the bound servant on the ground, stuck a wooden wedge into his mouth, and poured into his belly a bucket full of foul manure water, which they called a Swedish Drink. ”

Use of the Schwedentrunk is recorded in the histories of towns throughout Southern Germany. Though specific circumstances differed, in every case a restrained and gagged victim was forced to swallow (by means of a funnel) a large amount of unappetizing, sometimes boiling liquid. Substances such as urine, excrement, liquid manure, and sullage were used for this purpose.

Apart from disgust, illness, and the possibility of bacterial infection, the Schwedentrunk inflicted intense gastric pain. Because liquids are incompressible, the victim's stomach and bowels must expand to painful proportions to accommodate the copious quantities of fluid. The torturers then squeezed the distended belly with wooden boards or trampled the victim underfoot.

the thirty years war was basically the eastern front of wwii except for six times as long

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

poo poo, they had Penny arcade back then?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

50+ posts in the paradox thread complaining about loss of counters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Wormskull posted:

If you took the time to learn how to understand the counters and it became easy for you I can understand why you'd be annoyed.

i've been playing hex and counter wargames for half my life and i really don't care. ill prob use nato iconography for the little army sizes but i don't care about counters vs sprites