Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

New thread reminder Aegon is a lovely character that's going to get cut from the show.

:toxx:

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Easiest :toxx: ever.

At least this comes as close to proving Aegon was completely manufactured in the books to give Dany's arc in Westeros some kind of momentum as we're going to get, until somebody gets permission to write the rest of them after he dies and Dune taught me that if that happens Aegon will likely be turned into a baby killing robot.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

My point of him being manufactured was that it was completely obvious to a whole bunch of people that he pulled a dumb loving baby switcheroo plot line out of his rear end because he self admittedly couldn't find any way to get Dany to Westeros, so his solution was Aegon, a character only a few degrees less transparently lovely than Quentyn and so easy to see that I toxxed myself he'd be excluded from the show and alas he most likely is.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aegon was thought up at least as early as Clash of Kings, though.

Isn't that one line from ACOK about contradictory head smashing? If we're going with that we might as well operate in the same territory that Theon killed his own child, Jeyne imposter, Sansa/Hound made out, etc.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm not super convinced that just because they cut something for the show it isn't important in the books. I know GRRM can be a little questionable at times but I highly doubt he introduced a new Targaryen pretender, had them land in Westeros with an army, and foreshadowed a second Dance just to have Aegon choke on a chicken bone 50 pages into TWOW.

I'm not saying he dies on a chicken bone, I'm saying that he's almost assuredly only exists to do what GRRM couldn't figure out a way for Dany to be doing and that's making progress in Westeros, so I've firmly hitched my star to 'he's going to end up being a worthless rear end pulled character that I never, ever want to read another page about' in Penny/Quentyn fashion.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Now that I've built up my thread-cred with Aegon I can move into murkier waters like doubling down on book Jojen getting eaten.

Or show Jojen getting eaten, it'll just be BBQ'd instead

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

The two aren't mutually exclusive, one reference in one book of one chapter being near complete prophecy does not make something a well thought out or executed plot point.

It's also borderline silly to deny the Aegon related poo poo is related to the Meereeneese Knot problem when he's said the whole problem was getting Tyrion and the various people to Dany and then had Tyrion's river boating adventure being with Aegon.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Could be but I'm choosing to believe it was Completely Unnecessary Side Character #814, 1-810 naturally being Darkstar followed by Quentyn and Penny and whoever else I've managed to drink away the memory of by now.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I didn't say Aegon was a reason for bringing Dany to Westeros, I said he's nothing more than an obvious waystation of poo poo writing for her character to absorb his because the author's the literary equivalent of George Lucas at this point.

And no, the show cutting him (if it even has) doesn't prove my point, I'm being facetious.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

meristem posted:

Yeah, well, who cares about Aegon.

I only like that the show makes Varys somewhat less retarded. None of the 'let's make convoluted multiyear mastermind plots (that will fall the first moment we voice them out loud)'. That, plus killing Kevan and Pycelle and making a grand speech as though I was supposed to care about these tertiary characters as though they were some MAJOR PLAYERS, made me literally laugh out loud when I got to the end of DWD. That book is definitely overplotted (fArya, burning Mance, baby switches, Quentyn, yes, Aegon), but this was the shark-jumping moment.

That shared reading app where you can put indentations in parts of books to see what other people were thinking at the same time was only ever worth it for three parts that I used it in, Darkstar's 'of the night' which was just a sea of "LOL", 'the north remembers' a wall of 'whoa' and Varys' speech made for no reason that was all 'uhhhhh'

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

On the other hand, everything they've added with Brienne, Pod, Arya and Sandor (including their fight) was wonderful

Most of that I think you're right about but the fight and interaction between Brienne/Sandor had plenty of people who thought it was downright stupid and badly filmed quick cut bullshit on top of it that can probably be blamed on its director not understanding what the hell he's doing.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

KKKLIP ART posted:

I can agree that the quick cuts were a bit annoying but the scene had some weight from all sides and was a much better addition that a crazy Nights Watch guy literally drinking from a skull

Gin Alley is really the lowest the bar can possibly be set though

My bullshit meter goes Gin Alley > Peephole into peephole into peephole > Brienne taking 5 seconds to decide to start attacking a guy Arya was clearly being protected by > I don't know what you guys are talking about I didn't direct a rape scene > beetle smashing

meristem posted:

What were the most ridiculous theories in the past seasons? I remember 'Tyrion doesn't kill Shae', 'Talisa is a spy'... what else was there? Something about Locke? Anyhow, I consider 'Sansa turns into Lady Stoneheart (whether literal or figurative) on par with those.

The best theory was that my little pony guy who'd keep arguing they probably wouldn't do Robb Wind

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Big Bug Hug posted:

Tell me more about this app, it sounds fun.

I don't know if it's a standalone app or just automatically on for Kindle, but it worked just like wikipedia basically where there'd be little annotations you could hover over to see the top 10 or whatever user limit you set it to comments on whatever section of text you wanted, it didn't last long like that because you'd have idiots putting it after every word to troll so they changed it where you could have master list of only highly rated comments show up, etc.

It made the re-read of AFFC/ADWD worth it because there's a master list of theories you can also use at the same time that includes all the major ones, a lot of possible but not likely and the batshit merman ones.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

whatever7 posted:

I am rewatching season 4. Dany's acting as a queen is much worse than her as a teenager damsel.

This really lets you know just how much an Emmy nomination really is just popularity contest because she managed to get laughed off Broadway and an Emmy nom in the same year for doing the same bad acting in both.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

CelestialScribe posted:

Really? Are there any reviews around?

Top results googling Emilia Clark Breakfast At Tiffany's review, NYTimes

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/theater/reviews/breakfast-at-tiffanys-starring-emilia-clarke.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

quote:

Instead Ms. Clarke comes across as an under-age debutante trying very, very hard to pass for a sophisticated grown-up

:drat:

It ended up getting cancelled after only 1/3 of its bookings

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Haha, that's why I said it was the same acting.

All the other reviews just use the more PC way of saying bad actor and say the entire role was miscast

quote:

Part of that is due to the miscasting of Clarke

quote:

The newly single actress made her Broadway debut on Wednesday night - and the reviews were far from complimentary.

Emilia, making her first public appearance since her split from boyfriend Seth MacFarlane, was variously described as 'miscast' and 'lacking sparkle' in her leading role as Breakfast At Tiffany's Holly Golightly.

One from dailymail (a rag) the other from hollywoodreporter (legitimate theater reviewer)

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Her double was probably for the inevitable full frontal but far away shot which I can see her wanting one for, she didn't seem to care about showing less in other stuff she's done so the people who are excited (?) will still get tits probably.

The shamewalk to me wasn't even so much about her nudity as it was being shaven and being fat, book wise I was imagining her as looking like Show Varys by that point.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 2, 2015

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Don't think he's resigned himself to it at all, he's had a few comments about the show stopping and doing prequel / other in-universe stuff and D&D have been 'uhhh no' about it.

He's written a few episodes because he's been involved in TV writing for ages.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 2, 2015

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Only after a 5 minute speech that Jon gives about how he must do it himself as his lord father, Ser Eddard Stark of Winterfell would have done, who he Ser Janos Slynt formerly of the King's Landing city watch betrayed, with the sword bequeathed to him from Ser Jeor Mormont, father of Ser Jorah...

At that point he'll just stop and wink at the camera because 90% of the show watchers still haven't figured out that was Jorah's dad. If we wanted to be extra realistic I'd work in a way in which Ghost would somehow get trapped first.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 100% positive ending to ASOIAF would be just as hilarious as the 100% grim Harry Potter ending that Rowling thought about would've been

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Beeez posted:

I've never heard of this, what was that going to be?

Some weird poo poo where Harry doesn't kill Voldemort in the end, Voldemort instead gets turned into a statue and Harry does a spell that makes the world forget about him, until 1-200 years later Harry/Ginny's great grandson as a baby loses his poo poo and smashes one of those baby frogs in anger making Harry realize his grandson was going to be the next Voldemort.

Dunno how serious she ever was with using it but a British journalist from The Guardian who was Rowling's friend (until he published it on his blog) said she told it to him.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

In fairness she did manage to go from light hearted kids books to a huge holocaust allegory by the end. I was even older than her target audience at the end of them and even I was like what the gently caress is going on here.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

They'd seriously have to have a whole loving season of nothing but flash backs for anything Howland Reed had to say to actually matter to watchers at this point.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

In order to make anything Howland Reed would have to say (R + L = J) matter they'd have to (realistically unless they want even more poo poo to go the way of Jeor being Jorah's dad where they 'technically' mention it but half the audience didn't even pick up on it) they'd have to explain a poo poo load of stuff to make people understand. They'd need pie charts and an abacus and who knows what at this point.

Jon, it turns out Ned wasn't even your dad. Oh, who was? Rhaegar. Who the gently caress is that? We mentioned him once in the first episode and once in the third season. Oh. So who was his mom? Lyanna Stark. Who? Ned's sister we mentioned once in the first episode and once when Cersei is arguing with Robert! Oh. Uh why would Ned lie? Because of a prophecy! What prophecy? A prophecy we haven't mentioned! Oh...

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah I know, I cut a portion out of it about Ned needing a reason to lie to Robert about it but didn't see what it was leading into again so just imagine it even more convoluted than that.

Now just imagine all that with Aegon added in when people were arguing with me he'd definitely be included in the show.

"Oh who's this kid?"
"Dany's brother everyone thought was dead!"
"Oh the one who Jorah talked about"
"No, this is her second brother she never met that was supposed to have died!"
"............"

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Mortabis posted:

Yes R+L=J matters. I'm going to quote myself here:

I agree it'll (probably) matter in the books but not for the show, if it were they would've/should've mentioned it by now, but even though it's a lot of illogical crap like anybody believing Howland Reed it makes me laugh that pure loving happenstance is a better plan than anything Doran Martell could come up with.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

So It Goes posted:

Did the show ever reveal Joffrey was the one to send the assassin after Bran?

We don't know Joffrey was the one who sent the assassin, we just know Tyrion suspected him of it.

edit: And Cersei eventually

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I'm struggling to think of a more egregious character change than making Bronn, the least likely man to ever fall victim to a seduction scheme, fall for one

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

He's only in a few pages in the book, pretty minor character to get such a big-name actor. HR=HS is looking MUCH more likely now.

They got Ciaran Hinds to play a role that we actually know and not just suspect is extremely important and then did absolutely nothing with him.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

You know it's legit because it contains Arya/Jon incest.

^you son of a bitch

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Alhazred posted:

A theme in the books are that prophecys are largely bullshit and that you can read whatever you want into them.

Uh no it doesn't. The theme of the books is that prophecies are not only largely real but are also not generally self fulfilling despite the often used donkey kicking quote.

Dany seeing Red Wedding, High Heart telling of it, the Purple Wedding, the death of Renly, the death of Balon, resurrection of Cat, none of those could be in any way self fulfilling.

kontona posted:

is there an unredacted version?

We need to get that FBI guy from Red Dragon on the phone to go over it

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 4, 2015

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

It's funny how he worded it, talks about them being in agony over brother sister loving until Jon finds out the truth, when it's only first cousin loving?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

mr. why posted:

Can't you argue that she did die by becoming a Faceless Man? She doesn't even get chapters called "Arya" anymore. They are named after the identities that she assumes.

She's not even really becoming a Faceless Man though, she's doing practically none of the training the way she's supposed to be doing. Kills Night's Watch for Arya reasons, keeps needle, uses her warg powers during training instead of the way FM are supposed to, etc.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

When the Kindly Man is testing her during combat practice he blindfolds her and tells her to use FM training bullshit and instead she just wargs into the cat's sitting on the rafters to see what he's doing.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Why are you weirdos focusing only on the third point of me saying she's not following FM training? There was even an etc at the end of it. There's other poo poo like her still killing Raff after being blinded as punishment.

Arya isn't conforming to FM training, this isn't even debatable.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Blind Melon posted:

She is conforming in the sense that she is earnestly attempting to learn what they teach her, the only part where she isn't conforming really is holding onto her identity as Arya.

Which is what they repeatedly tell her is the most important thing and blind her for not obeying, only for her to again do the exact same thing she did before said blindness punishment.

I'm conforming to veganism except for all the meat I'm eating.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Was blindness a punishment? I always thought it was simply part of her training and the purpose was to teach her to listen for bits and pieces of valuable information when she's walking amongst the crowds. This is further reinforced with her trainer asking her to repeat three important things she learned (i.e. heard) that day.

Yes it was a punishment, it was given to her right after she killed the Night's Watch deserter and the guy even made an elaborate gesture of offering it to "Arya" as a test.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Feast_for_Crows-Chapter_34

quote:

When the kindly man asks who killed him, she replies, "Arya of House Stark." The priest again asks her who she is, to which she answers, "no one". But, as always, he tells her she lies, then asks the waif to bring "Arya" some warm milk to help her sleep. Arya goes to bed, but upon awakening in the morning, she discovers that she is blind.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 5, 2015

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I think you're looking way too deep into that speech, he's only saying you give up everything unless you think they're also going to make her go deaf, lose her sense of smell, amputate a few limbs, etc in in the course of training her before giving them back.

The part I quoted is so obviously a punishment I don't even know what else could be argued about it.

vv I don't remember anything about taking her hearing and I'm skimming the chapter trying to find it

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 5, 2015

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

So part punishment part reward, you crafty Faceless Men you.

Insert technically right.jpg

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm sorry but I just can't accept the freaking unsullied going down like complete chumps facing some nobodies, Grey Worm was the only one not embarrassing the franchise.

This was literally one of the only things I liked from the first four episodes. Great soldiers historically don't make very good peace keepers in urban settings. It also fit the book perfectly, they were defeated by being surrounded, which the book said would've happened to them if the Dothraki hadn't of refused to do the same out of ~honor~ and repeatedly crashing into them head first.

Also the "river boat captain" role I was nervous about being Aegon turned out to be nameless guy with one line. Suck it Aegon supporters.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I think they've firmly established their only way of showing height difference is by digging a hole and then placing the camera in it.

• Locked thread