Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Maybe he's spending time with a lady friend, that usually makes guys not care about touching computers and/or cars for awhile.

Ah, the triangle of touching needs, lady, car, computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

Square. How can you forget about touching self?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Beach Bum posted:

Imagine my crushing disappointment when I discovered it was only meatpimp :smith:

I bet the Germans have a word for this

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

To be fair, cars and computers don't have boobies :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Beach Bum posted:

Imagine my crushing disappointment when I discovered it was only meatpimp :smith:

You and me both. :smith: :hf: :smith:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

Its extremely likely his job and other commitments have him going full bore given he's going to be an extremely essential employee/volunteer in a pamdemic. Just saying.

Beach Bum posted:

Maybe he just needs a break.

Alternately, his account has been somehow radium'd and effectively shadowbanned. This whole time he has been posting into the void, desperate to reach someone, only for all of us to remain unaware of his pleas.
I think you guys might be overthinking this - his last public post was this:

Adiabatic posted:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

One of my childhood best friends that lives in WI is a Mechanical engineer became a manager of a team. He was "promoted" to it for the reasons like stated above in spite of him saying "I don't want to manage people" but he is a driven person and not socially retarded like most engineers. He is trying to get out of the position now because the petty personnel things he has to deal with is too much. He told me about an email he received from one of his underlings, the summation of which was "Earlier today on (date) ____ asked me what I did on my time off. I find this extremely inappropriate! ___ needs to keep to himself....please see that something is done"

Friggin wild man. Engineers are weird as hell.
Lol this reminds me of modding
... and his profile shows he's posted in the mod forum since his last public post. This last one may be a red herring, but I don't think so, personally:

Cyrano4747 posted:

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it's an aftermarket head unit my first guess would be a poorly done installation, and I really doubt you will need to go any further than that.
Check your PMs.
I think he peaced out because he's sick of our poo poo, and Cyrano reached out to IOC as either "you wanna come back" or "who should we make the mod". Which sucks, because he is an interesting guy with interesting stories, but hopefully he wants to come back stay as a poster, at least.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 15, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Krakkles posted:

stay as a poster, at least.

That's my hope... I wanted to see more of the MR2 and what he does with it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Bump

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Antique Vehicle?!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Look at this mower. She's a beaut after a pressure wash:

Finally getting around to the motorbike carbs lol:

Only to tear her apart again immediately for new brake fluid, front pads, fork seals, and tire:

Shakedown ride went surprisingly well, despite being off the road for what, 6 years?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Also everyone, meet Hank:

Hank is a Certified Big Boi and will be doing the heavy lifting because he's a beefcake.

Hank did some heavy lifting of this poor thing I've been neglecting:

It went to a good home though, dude wants to Gen4 3S-GTE swap it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Beefcake Hank also heavy lifted the other Back of the Barn Toyota:

Forums Poster Extraordinaire Terrible Robot then came to pick it up:

The space behind the garage is now looking primed for some more buildings, maybe. We'll see...

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hi dude! Glad you're still posting. I just moved back to Virginia, I probably need to clean my bike's carb too.

Hank looks useful to have around.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic necro is best necro.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

More buildings = more garages?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Holy poo poo, I'm glad to see you back! :)

E: am I wrong in thinking you bought an imported mr2 also? Been thinking about doing that and would be curious about your thoughts on it and having a rhd car in America in general.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 20, 2021

OptimusRhyme
Jan 12, 2006
Autobots crafting only the finest limericks.

Adiabatic posted:

Not mounted yet but isn't this opposite the direction of tire rotation?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Antique Vehicle?!

25 years goes by quick.

Tyro posted:

Hi dude! Glad you're still posting. I just moved back to Virginia, I probably need to clean my bike's carb too.

Hank looks useful to have around.

Come on by! Hank is dope. I put new seats in him. I should take a picture.

meatpimp posted:

Adiabatic necro is best necro.

:glomp:

MomJeans420 posted:

More buildings = more garages?

At least somewhere to store more stuff maybe. The property line is 40 ft to the left of that lefthand treeline.

Suburban Dad posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm glad to see you back! :)

E: am I wrong in thinking you bought an imported mr2 also? Been thinking about doing that and would be curious about your thoughts on it and having a rhd car in America in general.

Thanks man! Yes I did buy a 1994 MR2 turbo with a Gen3. Uhh so get an ezpass, and be prepared to put on the windshield wipers instead of the blinkers all the time, but otherwise it's pretty :krad:

DUDE. I just went through this. So I brought it back to the guy and said "Hey man you put my tire on backwards" and he very calmly explained that front tires on motorcycles apparently go this way. The carrot on the sidewall confirmed it. Rear tire goes on "normal" direction.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

DUDE. I just went through this. So I brought it back to the guy and said "Hey man you put my tire on backwards" and he very calmly explained that front tires on motorcycles apparently go this way. The carrot on the sidewall confirmed it. Rear tire goes on "normal" direction.

I believe the argument is that the direction of forces is opposite, seeing as the front wheel only does braking.

Also, it's very good to have you back!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

bolind posted:

I believe the argument is that the direction of forces is opposite, seeing as the front wheel only does braking.

Also, it's very good to have you back!

Regardless, the groves are there to channel water out as well, as shown as the tire rotates the water will be channeled towards the center rather than away to the sides.

If that's the correct orientation, maybe the contact patch and how a motorcycle steers makes things not intuitive to someone who's used to.car tire tread patterns?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Regardless, the groves are there to channel water out as well, as shown as the tire rotates the water will be channeled towards the center rather than away to the sides.

If that's the correct orientation, maybe the contact patch and how a motorcycle steers makes things not intuitive to someone who's used to.car tire tread patterns?
http://sgbikerboy.com/2016/12/26/why-do-motorcycle-front-and-rear-tires-have-opposite-tread-patterns/
Short version, yes, it's different for bikes, and those grooves primarily exist on the front tire of the bike to channel water out during braking.

The piece I feel like this link might be missing is that while turning, the center of the tire is basically not in contact with the road anyway, so even if he's wrong about momentum (I question that a little, but I'm not 100% sure), channeling the water toward the center of the tire would still serve to eject it, at least while turning.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 20, 2021

OptimusRhyme
Jan 12, 2006
Autobots crafting only the finest limericks.
Cool! It's funny, I'm bigger bike guy than car guy, and I literally just finished putting new rubber on 4 bikes (I need to get a loving machine, tire spoons suck even when you get good at em), and I've always just gone by the carrot on the sidewall. Just went and looked and yup, all the grooves on the fronts look intuitively backwards but they're not. Dunno how I never noticed that before.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy poo poo welcome back dude

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Whoah this a hell of a necro

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ah the joy of outside parking mold, poor MR2. Welcome back

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Whoah this a hell of a necro

THAT WHICH IS DEAD SHALL LIVE AGAIN PRAISE ALLAH KING OF VACUUM LEAKS THAT WE SHALL ALL DINE IN HEAVEN

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Come on by! Hank is dope. I put new seats in him. I should take a picture.

I may have to do that, happy to help out with projects if you need some help from someone with a strong back, uh, capable mind second set of hands.

Wouldn't mind learning some new roads to flog my DR350SE on either.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The GTS has a safer home until I have time for it now.

Thanks for holding on to it for so long.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Terrible Robot posted:

I just wanted to say I love your Celica; it's the kind of car that any real AIer absolutely loves. Too bad most normies would just look at it, scoff at it and send it to the crusher :(

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 20, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How's the wife

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Terrible Robot posted:

I have several people looking for a fender, hopefully something turns up.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

How's the wife

He's doing well. We've both gotten into rock climbing pretty hardcore. Headed out to Joshua Tree in June.

He's trying to buy a place down here but the market is ludicrous.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Adiabatic posted:

He's doing well. We've both gotten into rock climbing pretty hardcore. Headed out to Joshua Tree in June.

He's trying to buy a place down here but the market is ludicrous.

June eh? Should still be cool enough to not immediately die from heat stroke.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Lowest key necro I've seen in a while. Nice to see you back!

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

The space behind the garage is now looking primed for some more buildings, maybe. We'll see...

Ooooooo! I can put 2 subarus back there now!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What is necro supposed to mean besides something relating to a corpse :v:

Welcome back OP

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What is necro supposed to mean besides something relating to a corpse :v:

Welcome back OP

Thread Necromancy, old forums jargon for well, basically what it says on the tin.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Of course the new chain comes in right after I send the wheel to get the tire replaced :haw:

And they dont open again till Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh I forgot to mention, I got 12x 90W-eq LED strips and mounted them shits in the old fluorescent brackets.

If anyone needs an extra sun let me know:

Anywho back to the bike.

Got the rear tire off to go get a new one:

The pups, they helped:

Think my chain was a little stretched:

Put some mirrors on while I waited. Old and busted:

New Hotness:

I Am All That Is Squid

Anywho new chain, sprockets, rear pads, tire:

You'd think I liked the color red or something: