Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

This guy actually paid me in cash ($150), but it was 1/4 of what some "friend" of his was going to charge ($600 :stonk: )
What? $600 labour? It's like an afternoon's job, even without a lift, and taking your time because you keep going back in the house for another beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just passing through for a couple of days while on the way down to NC this weekend, I'd clocked that Adiabatic was right by where my route would take me, so promised alcohol in exchange for goony interaction.

Jealous of your setup, Adiabatic, enjoy the beer!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Uuaarghuurrr. My dad always parks his cars under the tree on his drive, and whenever I've detailed one of them, every loving crevice is filled with loving needles, and there's loving sap like loving industrial-strength gorilla snot on every horizontal surface, and three loving days later it'll be collecting the loving things again. :smith:

Adiabatic posted:

My favorite Subaru guy from the Subaru group (the one that brings the most beer, as well as the Dale's Pale Ale) came by to pick up InitialDave's Stoptech pads. While he was here I convinced him to change out his front struts:

Glad you found a home for them. They were for my Hawkeye, so I assume they fit ok?

Adiabatic posted:

Also holy gently caress InitialDave this Irn Brau stuff is god damned delicious:

Pronounced how it's spelled! "Eern Broo"! Now go eat something battered & deep-fried, and apply religious sectarianism to your support of sports teams.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The "gets you through" Irn Bru advert series is loving hilarious.

WKD do an Iron Brew flavour, there's a cocktail called a Demeanor which has a similar taste to Irn Bru. Of course, the correct technique is to pour regular Irn Bru down your gullet over a preparatory dose of Tennent's, separating the dissimilar liquids with a fish supper or a munchie box.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Strip and cage it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

You kid, but I would not be at all surprised if there were a toilet gun.
Never go full Micromancer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Even if the valves look ok, is it worth pulling them and checking?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sorry, I meant you can get a slight bend on a valve that's not clear until you pull it, but rubs on the guide in use.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I keep telling you all that Rover V8s are rubbish, but you never listen.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

streetlamp posted:

Adiabatic quickly regretting letting me come over
He's going to have to get someone out to check over his property.

:clint: "Yup, not seen a Landie infestation in VA like that in a long time. Well, I'll spray for rust and indignant refutations over being called a Jeep, but if they've got themselves dug in you're going to have D2 CDL conversions and P38 suspension pumps all over the place come summer. I can give you something for the swivel seal leaks, if you think you can keep on top of it yourself"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

streetlamp posted:

I thought about this a lot last night in bed and decided that I think swapping in a F20C is the best course of action going forward.
What kind of idiot would thing that putting a 2.0 16v petrol engine in a Discovery would be a good idea?

Oh, wait, yeah.

:britain:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How long do you have to leave the MJ out of the workshop before you're able to work on something else without cussing people for "buyin' dem furrin cars"?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

It's more that I thought it was going to be super easy and it turned into a shitshow due to the packaging on the line routing to the intake hose against the firewall motherfucking Volkswagen.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Y'all are missing the point that a PCV valve is supposed to look like this:

Not that horse-poo poo German hot mess.
I just found this beautiful signature on someone's profile on another forum:

quote:

Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Man, I need to get myself sorted out and join one of the local shooting clubs, start working towards a licence and buying some stuff (It's loving hilarious in the UK, I'm very jealous of the :patriot: way of doing things).

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah, I just tried to get it in his head how hosed up that is, and he in turn accused me of having a personal vendetta against him. I just told him in the nicest way possible that he isn't welcome here anymore.
Oh boo loving hoo. Why is it so hard for people to understand that, while you're willing to help them, you do have your own stuff to sort out, and as much as you may enjoy wrenching on cars, you're not a charity.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Can't keep those durn Subarus out :bahgawd:
:ohdear: "What do you mean, they cut the power? How could they cut the power, man? They're animals!"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Well, presumably the owner is doing the work, right?
Hahahahahaha! Oh, you!

Just had my neighbour come to see me complaining about the clutch in their Peugeot 107. Garage has said it needs a new one, but I reckon an adjustment of the cable will do a world of good - it is worn, but not really slipping yet, so there's no reason it won't last a bit longer. Seeing as it's overdue for a service (something something teenage girls' cars :j:), I said to get a quote for oil/filters/plugs with a clutch adjustment while they're in there, and if it's taking the piss, I'll sort them out. In a way I'd rather not, as want to work on my own stuff (and the access to the clutch cable looks like an utter sod for my monkey bastard hands), but it's neighbourly to not leave them hanging and, well, I think we're all a little more inclined to help cute girls needing simple servicing work than Subie Brahs wanting silly JDM conversions.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Out of interest, why is the TT swap a pig to do on US cars? Is the shell fundamentally different, or is it an issue of interference with the steering column, brake master/booster etc?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ah, crap, I missed that completely.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

:stare:

I need a welder
Welders are really useful. They allow so many more ways to gently caress things up, and let you rationaise being able to fix even worse prospective project cars.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Coredump posted:

Please name the guns in the pictures when you post them so ignorants like me can learn.
He calls it "Vera".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Dammit, you're making me jealous again. Stupid nanny-state bollocks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd use metal or fibreglass walkway grating for the garage access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Over here, most places will do you a large bulk bag for a given aggregate. Usually something like 850kg. Compared to buying the little 25kg sacks, even a retail-biased place like Wickes will be about 30% cheaper that way. Still a lot less to have it loose by the ton, but I haven't done that for ages, and a lot of places prefer not to tit about with small loads. Of course, the cheapest option is to go collect yourself if you're able to.