Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

That subplot was classic American Dad. Roger's wordless shock at the episode being deleted was great, and then I loved that the only bit of dialogue from Bones we heard was "And I am Dr. Brennan, the guardian of all bones everywhere."

DarklyDreaming posted:

She was old, probably died before we hit her
Yet another grisly death on the show. In a lot of shows, I don't really find graphic violence that funny, but American Dad always does it well. I even laughed at the incredibly grotesque skinless Jeff in the bathtub from a few years back.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I can take all of it but acid burned Francine.

That was pretty awful, but I think the only thing I couldn't tolerate on this show was Stan's Frankenstein of a dog after it was smashed by the pirate cats.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't quite understand the negative reaction this got. I get that the main plot had no ending, but it was clear from the start that this was not a typical episode, and the ending it did have was pretty funny.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was essentially the same joke for 30 minutes.

Kind of, but the uses of it were pretty entertaining. I enjoyed how it seemed like the show was actively falling apart at the seams. American Dad has always had a good handle on having completely unhinged ridiculousness, and this was just another example of that.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

But that's another problem, it only started falling apart in the B plot. The anniversary/asylum plot was untouched. It could've been in any other American Dad episode, if it had more jokes.

Maybe this is just my interpretation of it, but the A-plot from the very start seemed like a conscious nod to how often even American Dad goes to the standard sitcom well of plots. The sheer banality of a husband forgetting an anniversary was begging to be turned into something much more bizarre. And sure, the asylum segment did accomplish that, but even then, it still seemed rather conventional for standards of the show's universe. Making it bizarre again though turned the whole thing on its head. That's what made it work for me. I can understand where people who disliked this are coming from, but to me, this was just a great example of the show's voice.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This season has been so much better than last. The first TBS season seemed like they were running out of steam, but this one's consistently great. Also, Francine's list of favorites that got progressively worse was amazing.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This show is so great at continually escalating a joke. The final scene was really well crafted. Roger reveals 1) he got the kids to join the army, 2) clarifies he sold them to the Chinese army, 3) was paid in WoW gold, 4) doesn't actually play WoW, and 5) is morally outraged that a teacher sold students to China. I mean, any one of those was a funny enough line to go out on, but all of them in rapid succession was a perfect example of American Dad's strengths.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I think there's some real spinoff potential in Suck Boy Tony.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like that the latest episode had a small cameo from Suck Boy Tony, the greatest character on television.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

hemophilia posted:

Am I crazy or is the tone way off for this show since it moved from fox? It's the most glaring in the first couple of TBS episodes but it doesn't ever seem to fully come back either. I really like this show, it's the best McFarlane thing and all, but it really seems like different people are making the show or something.

I think last season was kind of mediocre, but this season is a classic. Tonight's episode, for example, was amazing, and a perfect example of this show at its best.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Gonz posted:

The Challenger disaster "Strike" animation on the scoreboard was magnificent.

I want more tragic moments in history depicted with bowling pins.

PotatoJudge posted:

Passive agressive - under her breath insulting Francine rules

She really does.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Whorelord posted:

this isn't true

Yeah, that's a totally off base criticism. Francine is as funny and defined as any of the other main characters. The fact that there's no fun sucking dead weight characters in the main cast is a primary reason this show has never seen a precipitous decline in quality.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

For a relatively recent addition to the show, they've gotten a lot of mileage out of Morning Mimosa and it's all been really good. It's pretty crazy how consistent American Dad is. It has some episodes that fall flat, but 14 seasons in and it still produces great seasons.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

That was one of the best episodes in a while. Roger's abusive, insecure step-dad disguise was amazing.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

There was really only one way for that Jay Leno subplot to end.

;-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

That episode sounds like it'll be classic. It's great that the writers still know how to use the characters in fresh ways after so long.

Yeah, that was one of the all time best I think. Every aspect clicked so well. I'm excited to see the stunning conclusion to Jeff meeting Barry too.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Is the next episode not until July 24th?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Are we not getting a resolution to the Barry/Jeff cliffhanger?!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

That one was great. I think I've said it in this thread before but it's insane that this show can put out episodes that good in its fourteenth season. The Simpsons declined by season 9, and Family Guy fell apart like a year or two after its return but American Dad is incredibly consistent.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

What the hell's going on here?

It's not what you think!

I believe you. Goodbye.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just wanna say that this is an incredibly awkward and uncomfortable episode to watch with someone who's never seen the show before. I kept wanting to just change the channel, but they wouldn't let me because "I need to learn to live with my bad life choices".

It's kind of surprising, but so much of the comedy of this show is based in knowing these characters. I wouldn't have found tonight's nearly as funny if I hadn't already been watching for 14 seasons. This was a great episode, but there are much better ones to introduce the show to people.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't really think Hayley or Steve would work as well with different ages. Too much of their characters kind of require them to be the ages they are.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Who'd Lauren Lapkus voice in tonight's episode?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm still not sure if they're trying to kill it off entirely. The scheduling is beyond poo poo. There was what, like 3 month gap before christmas or something?

It's renewed and it gets good ratings. I don't know why TBS would be dumping it intentionally.

Honestly, I think Turner figures the money's not really coming from premieres of their shows as much as it comes from reruns and streaming deals. This is the same network that basically dumped all of a critically acclaimed show, Search Party, at once, and still renewed it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

When's the new season start for real? Spring?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Andy Daly!

And Brett Gelman!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

This was a weird one

Yeah, it felt kind of disjointed but it was still funny.

bull3964 posted:

I actually liked Final Space a lot better on a second viewing. Gary becomes more endearing somehow.

I couldn't make it past ten minutes of the first episode. The main character feels like a black hole of funny. I want to like it if only because I always want to like sci-fi and animation.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

The Mural of the Story
Meanwhile, Roger becomes Steve’s instructor at a prestigious clowning university.
It's great that this show is finally tackling the real issues.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Medullah posted:

That was great, but they did almost the identical joke earlier in the season but I can't remember the exact scenario, Roger was training Hailey for something to beat the grand champion of whatever it was and right before she faced him she said "It's Roger isn't it" and just walked away.

Someone with a better memory please post the details because it's bugging me I can't remember.

They've done that joke a lot. It's fitting that the family is aware of how many personas he has, and yet they still can't avoid him.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ProjektorBoy posted:

Jumped off the American Dad train after it went to TBS because it felt like that 1st TBS season was trying too hard, and the show basically had run out of gas.

Jumped back in to the current season out of boredom. I was wrong. Show still owns.

I do think that first season TBS was weak, regardless of who it was produced for. Everything after that has been great though.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I am still kinda weirded out by the mayor looking like Peter Griffin if he was in O Brother Where Art Thou?

His character design was really weird. Wasn't he also similar to the rarely used principal on Family Guy?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah maybe not. Like I said, the former's not used much so I didn't remember him well.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was expecting it to be an entire oregon trail gimmick episode. Also I hate the way Steve was pronouncing it

Stoive was pronouncing it just fine.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The "To Be Continued..." was incredible. I hope they continue it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This show has an inscrutable schedule.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This show somehow became more consistently funny than any of the other shows with a huge episode count like that.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Eddain posted:

I binge watch the entirety of American Dad on Hulu all the time and I particularly dislike the episode where Jeff is in outer space, The Majestic? Just boring overall to me.

Woah, that's a classic

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Whorelord posted:

that episode is loving incredible what on earth

Yeah, it's not even that funny but it's very entertaining television. It changes the format of the show completely, and it works.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Twinanigans
Season 15, Episode 17
Steve and Roger restart their career as a twin brother acting duo; the family becomes addicted to a novelty gift shop.

This show has the best synopses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

If episode titles mean anything, expect more Rogu in season 16.

Also, season 16 starts in two weeks.

Looking forward to