Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

JackDRipper posted:

I'd say communication goes a long way but our own leader isn't even Auth'd on AA.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Also saying that kimsemus ruined the game for goons by leading a goon group in pvp is entirely missing the point. I don't even play this terrible loving game and even I can get that. The mistake you made was in making some sort of weird rear end network of fishing alliances (lol) instead of just killing people for fun, and while you may have reasons for it you literally ran off with all the money. At the end of the day no one's really gonna give a poo poo about why you have it, they just care that you have it.

Also I love this thread :coffeepal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also, what sets this game apart from Eve is that the tools for mass organisation are 15-years-ago poo poo. A guild is literally nothing more than a piece of text below people's names, a chat channel, and a convenient way to do mass invites. The only way to hold guild assets (in a way that doesn't allow them to be stolen by every guild member) is on individual accounts. On the minus side, this removes opportunities for the kinds of boardroom cloak-and-dagger drama Eve provides. On the plus side, we've had one year of Eve Goon drama condensed into two months (really more like one month for the real drama).

I love the comparisons to Eve, especially from the fishing nuts. I mean, after all, evegoons did so well in that game by not scamming pubbies, being completely without ehonor, and having a (somewhat lucky) series of diplomatic and military coups. They did it by mining. Forever.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Khako posted:

I'm sure you guys got fish in the days after but that raid got nothing other than starting all of this.

This was worth more than all of the fish in archeage.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Malakesh posted:

Edit: once again we have an example of people spouting nonsense when they have no idea what they are talking about.

New thread title.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

It's like the F squad from evegoons decided that since they can organize jump freighters or whatever the gently caress padded helmets does they can totally organize goons, and when it crashes and burns everyone laughs except for them.

God I love this thread.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SumYungGui posted:

Would you have a different opinion if the people that left were also that ones that earned the stuff that had been collected?

If by "earned" you mean "suckered all of the new goons into giving it to them by saying 'opsec' a lot and floating the dream of a goon castle in front of them" then yes.

May I ask what your opinion of pyramid schemes is?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Let me open up my spreadsheet to show you.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Digital Fingers posted:

Goons are just pubbies who gave lowtax 10$. We're not masons or blood brothers or w/e and Games and LP is the biggest source of new members for the forums.

My post was pointed at anyone in GS who still thinks goon communism is workable after all the goonfucking and splintering that has gone on. If you wanted that poo poo to work it would have had to have been a tax because even if a goon took the treasury and high tailed it it would have been a pretty small percentage of what you guys are able to bring in.

Kimsemus' plan of not giving a gently caress and just playing to have fun and make people mad is the only realistic plan you can have when it comes to coordinating with goons.

Actually the real problem is when you run headfirst into the big question: what would goonunism accomplish that isn't just as easily accomplished with everyone keeping their own packs? The major problem seems to be goons don't have enough gear, and "funneling all the money to one guy so he can maybe buy gear for them if he doesn't goonfuck" is a very bad idea compared to the much simpler "people keep their money and spend it on gear".

Also goons don't build things, we take them and destroy them. Why the plan was ever to build our own castle instead of take someone else's is beyond me.

Edit:

bathroomrage posted:

I was under the impression that ArcheAge is a game where if you just work together and have enough CC you can kill anyone because 90% of the game is landing CC so all the spergs probably burnt out and had an existential crises when they realized all the number crunching in the world couldn't outdo a league of scrub characters with chain style kung-fu league of characters with witchcraft and occultism.

This is how we won fights at all in early age of wushu. We had piles of new players who went royal guard and just pulled people off of horses and beggars to get them all drunk so they couldn't fight back, then we stole all their books and made everyone in the game hate us.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

CompeAnansi posted:

The main issue with our taking a castle from someone else is we have a dearth of mages in the guild. We need to have at least 50 people with maxed out Sorcery/Occultism + heroic cloth/plate in order to have a shot at winning sieges. AoE CC & Damage wins sieges. We can get there eventually, but for now I don't think we should even worry about trying to do sieges and just roam around having our fun by annoying pubbies.

That's exactly my point. How we arrived at the conclusion of "we can't win a castle siege fight, so let's build our own" is what boggles my mind. By the time goons would be viable to defend a castle, we can take one of our own, and it will be a way funner path than "fish for X hours and funnel all the materials to one guy" like the plan was.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

Nobody was actually fishing for castle materials. Castle mats were taken care of long before fishing was a big thing

Wait, rocks don't bite fishing hooks? I wonder what all those goons were so angry over then.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tanreall posted:

I'm not in Wicked and I'm pretty sure Munion isn't playing any more so this is wrong.

Eminai posted:

Don't let facts get in the wave of a good narrative.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Those fish are super tough, they need the gear to wrassle em down.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Earn money or get hosed. PvP is fun, but it don't pay the regrade fees. Fishing before Auroria launched so you would be able to keep up, and focusing on getting maximum gear within the next six weeks isn't a waste.

And yet here we are. I guess this is something you could call "demonstrably false" because the sperg on aranzeb is 2real4goons.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Eonwe posted:

PvP in an open PvP zone with the ability to steal something for easy gold? Better take absolutely no precautions and demand nobody dare come near or...something will happen

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

I don't really know why you weren't expecting that

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

The track record has shown them to be willfully corrupt and incompetent to the core. Anyone who was trying to do it right was not in any real position of power if they could still be kicked. At this point the name itself is poison and isnt salvageable. Lots of splinters in an alliance is best for everyone.

Didn't the splinter involve all of the old leaders leaving? It sounds like everyone is having fun with jerkjerk and reggin.

And oh no, pubbies in an mmo don't like goons. Whatever will we do.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

HyC is truly a prophet.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Malakesh posted:

That's som pretty fantastic revisionist posting there. Might as well write up some slash fanfic about Ballista and Kimsemus while you are at it. That'd be more believable.

I'd make a rage comic about why you're being an idiot with these drive-by cool guy posts, but that's way too much effort. So I'm just gonna say that, going off of your actions, the only reasonable conclusion is that you're buttmad about fishing pacts.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Deki posted:

Piracy is so loving profitable than fishing without your own boat if you do it right, I don't even know why you'd even bother unless you really suck at pvp.

I was in a piracy group tonight that was being fed coordinates from a disgruntled member of the target guild, and we ended getting 3-4 fish each for less than 45 min of work. Way more fun too.

My spreadsheet says it's 9% more profitable to spend all of my time playing a fishing minigame, and with the mechanics of cargo hull fillage of fishing boats your chances of actually finding a full boat are less than 30%, so why would you even bother.

It's just math. :reject:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Arcade posted:

Actually if you really suck at PvP, attacking fishing boats is exactly what you should be doing. Kind of doubt you managed 3-4 fish each in less than 45 minutes, but it's more money than blocking carts in Ynystere, since those guys can't even put packs in your cart.

"According to this spreadsheet you're lying about your fishiary income."

:reject:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Arcade posted:

I didn't realize goons who fished were depriving other goons of content. gently caress, I guess it's on us then. drat, trying to get the guild geared for Auroria, such PvE pussies.

"According to my spreadsheets, fishing pacts only closed off 72% of the fishing targets on green side. There were plenty of other targets for goons to choose from, and avoiding the "safefishers" *laughs, wheezes, sucks on inhaler* only results in a 32% loss of profit for the goons who want to "pvp".

:reject:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

jeffraider posted:

Yeah I've never even heard of this before I started getting called a pedo-defender so I'd like to see what made him go from BURDEN OF PROOF to I HATE PEDOS. What year did this even happen in? I'd be shocked if I was playing EVE when it did.

How did you read

Kimsemus posted:

Let's not deflect from the fact that a known pedophile was kicked from Goonswarm, and Pandemic Legion happily accepted him (including you), and knowing this, played with him for years, and then unashamedly defended him and his desires to gently caress children. Even now, you are unapologetic, because you are fine playing games with people that psychologically rape children in order to physically rape them.

I really want that to sink in for people.

and think "hey let's make fun of his nerdy word choice next, this'll be a great troll!"

Like holy poo poo it's just sad how bad your shitposting is. How can you gently caress up shitposting.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

lewtt posted:

If you are still endlessly arguing or witch hunting after a month about awfully stupid poo poo a dumb guy did to a clueless teenager on the internet years ago while alienating/kicking/arguing with people who vocalize not caring about some random goon, it's bordering saying as much about you as it is BFM's said mindfucking of icelandic teen

But I guess calling people out on obsessive tirades over month-old/years-old spilled milk classifies me as a pedo apologist

But don't you see he's right, everyone. It says that we're NOT degenerate pedophiles, which is actually an entire word more than what it says about BFM.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I don't believe your experience, because my spreadsheet tells me it's impossible for you to get gold faster than via fishing pacts. I've accounted for all the variables, and math never lies.

:goonsay:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

This poo poo reminds me of getting mad at people for taking mob spawns when I was 12 and playing maplestory as my first mmo.

I love it :allears:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

The Silver pre-order package was $150. It was the #1 seller on Steam for a bit, a lot of people spent money on it. There was also a Bronze package for $50 and a Gold package for some dumb amount that was too high.

All the stuff in the packages was the normal poo poo you'd expect. Varying amounts of premium time, cash shop currency, special snowflake outfits, stuff like that. You also got in on the "head start" for a few days which probably swayed way too many people.

Specifically, the silver package was the cheapest one to allow alpha access, so a lot of people paid 150 bucks to basically play for several months before launch.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Could be worse.

You could have bought Wildstar. :suicide:

I bought wildstar and have a lifetime sub to TSW. Do I win?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

The best part about TSW was going back and doing investigation missions with a friend who hadn't done them yet and just being a smug gently caress over mumble because it's hard to not sound smug when you really do know the answer but don't want to tell them.

Except for the emoting thing in the kingsmouth sewers, I wasn't gonna put him through figuring out that poo poo. A gentle nudge with a "you know some things in this game are actually triggered by emotes, it's weird" felt like a good thing to do at that point.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Grim is the server goons rolled on at launch, may as well go with that in case other goons decide they want to play and bring an older character with a new build.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Syndlig posted:

The Secret World is a genuinely interesting game. It's got some of my favorite characters in MMOs (Saïd, pretty much everyone in the Innsmouth Academy), but if you don't build your character right or have someone to play with it drags really bad in Blue Mountain and later zones. I pretty much gave up once I got to the second Egypt zone because I just didn't care about any of the characters there and it's an annoyingly huge zone with very little interesting sights.

second egypt zone is legit the worst zone in the game. Once you're at a certain QL, I want to say 7-8 across the board, you should just not go there anymore and go to transylvania because it gets amazing again.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I stopped playing TSW awhile ago because I lost interest in it. If you guys play it might install it again. Maybe.

literally playing right now

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

atlas of bugs posted:

this sounds dope as heck

I see you can be in the Illuminati with 2pac, or be a Templar...so, religious zealots who heal the world with Assault Rifles?

I'm not sure I like the sound of that; seems like you're role-playing as ISIS.......

oh and a faction of handsome korean dudes and cat people
per usual

And it looks like it has a similar skill system, with Combos and mix-n-match classes.
So far so good.

dragons get a free blowjob

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

sounds like a huge pussy, he should just kill himself

He should be safe from at least some of the goons, since they only gently caress the little ones.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Syndlig posted:

Templars are basically the jaded bitter vets of the game, only two days from retirement but god dammit those illuminati and dragons are running around screaming and knocking tables over and now we gotta clean up after them.

Sonnac is my favorite handler, and templar get the only faction specific mission to actually have some bearing on the bigger story of the game.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e-Oh wait I remember, there are actual consequences for PVPing in BD because people can drop loot or have it degrade upon death. So that will probably scare a lot of goons away.

As well it should. People getting excited for BD must either not have played lineage 2 or don't remember it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Finndo posted:

Someone will always make money selling in-game items and/or currency. The question is, should it be shady gold sellers running sweatshops or hacks or credit card scams, or the company that publishes the game? I prefer it to be the latter, especially if the game itself doesn't cost a lot.

Should those cash-shop items be purely cosmetic, or should they actually be useful? I prefer that they be useful, so long as they are not game-breaking. Narrowing the gap between people who treat a game as their full-time job, and those who view it more as a form of entertainment and are willing to pay a bit to enjoy it, is not game-breaking. This is especially true when, as you point out, basically every cash-shop item can be purchased from others in-game using gold.

I do agree that it is likely that we will see additional cash-shop items appear to offer alternatives to things that are selling for thousands of gold in game. Following that reasoning, the next thing would probably be car plans or maybe a ship upgrade. (Not sure if this is pre-ordained or not by the versions of the game that are being rolled out over time.)

Let me present this false dichotomy so that you have no choice but to agree with my reasonable sounding post defending crating up and selling power in a f2p game.

And cash shop items have to be bought from the cash shop at some point. There's no way around it being a blatant cash grab.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Finndo posted:

It's funny that it seems like I am defending Trion because I really dislike the way the company handled this rollout for a lot of reasons, but their cash shop isn't one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhz9OXy86a0

Please watch this so that you understand why what XLgames and trion did is detrimental to the game, the players, and continuing the trend that is the root cause of why F2P games have a bad reputation.

Eonwe posted:

Yeah, if any new people are reading this and you want to grief people and paying nothing, or pay $15 just to get yourself going. Its worth it. But its a fundamentally broken and bad game and you should never support them monetarily if you can help it.

If you want to grief people then play eve. There have been newbies that joined GSF and on day one they managed to scam a small fortune out of pubbies and then buy expensive ships and get them blown up ratting. If what you want to do is make people angry at you, there's pretty much nothing better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

kznlol posted:

IT HAPPENED TO ME AGAIN

I lost around 1k due to the TS market crash and now I lost like 700g because they reactivated APEX before I managed to unload my stockpile.

TRION

The good news is that gold isn't worth much anymore anyway.

• Locked thread