Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Internet Kraken posted:

Didn't someone in one of the previous thread write a big post about diving and the titles that came with it? If anyone has a link to that I'd appreciate it since info related to this stuff is pretty hard to find.

If you're dumb enough to grind them out there's Master of the Phoenix, Master of the Deep, and Master of the Faun. MoD is the "easiest" and only requires days of played time grinding jars for 69 Alecto's Journals which have a small drop rate as it is, plus the 7 tools to combine each set of 10 Journals. MoP and MoF are completely masochistic as you must go and camp treasure spawns next to shipwrecks which give the shittiest vendorable loot ever, require crafted items to recover, and take a while to traverse between. Iyor's (80 journals, 8 tools) journals are Faun, Rudal's (86 journals, 8 tools) journals are Phoenix. Also if you don't have your bank space expanded out to max lol because the journal items can't be sent to alts. My jar locations are posted with sextant coordinates near the last page of the gassed thread.

The journals are low drop rates on every treasure chest you recover.

Internet Kraken posted:

Goon Squad is the largest and most active guild on Aranzeb.

Heh.

e: Oh I get it the largest and most active goon guild on Aranzeb.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 28, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If you actually care about the internet pixels in ArcheAge beyond the value of making pubs cry for losing their time and/or effort you are doing it wrong. Griefing FC is always a noble activity.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Spent an hour or two just sitting on my merch ship radar solo pirating people going from Dewstone/Marianople/Two Crowns to Solzreed while eating breakfast and sipping tea.

To me that's peak ArcheAge.

Also thanks trion I didn't pay for any of this patron but I'm not complaining every once in a while that expiration goes forward a month.

A note on pirating:
Clippers ain't got radars but some of the routes people are taking this time of day (past 3 PM EDT) to slide into cinderstone's peace are screaming radar programs. Like when you wait to cross the sound with your harpoon clipper just off the shore for 3 minutes until I back up the my MS which is way out of your draw distance. Or when clippers make real random sharp turns to not go anywhere near my MS well out of draw distance range. Like... I can watch your boat on my MS radar I'm not dumb. Most of the time pirating is great it's just some people you just can't help laughing. For every one suspicious dude who takes a really strange route upon coming into my radar range there's 20 who don't. Shoutouts to <Valor>, <UDL>, <Southern Legends>, <Pirates of The Caribbean>, <Praetorian Company>, etc. for the packs.

Like if you had a solid squad of about 5 people, two teams of two on harpoon clippers and one dude on the MS radar you could absolutely rake in the packs.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 28, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Fun things you can do in 1v1 arena against poopsockers with thousands of gold worth of gear equipped:

Go AFK for a few minutes after your first death.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why does common staff mana recovery break stealth

AL -> Stealth -> Common Staff Mana Recovery Activates -> DoT still ticking -> guards aggro -> dead

e: and just spent 200g trying to regrade an L44 piece of green armor to blue

I'm not sure if the XLGames strategy is to poo poo on the player repeatedly until they develop stockholm syndrome or what

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 29, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Can confirm fishing is more fun than being barked at by the goon PvP commander.

e: :byob1:

ee: :rznv:

eee: :signings:

eeee: :krakken:

Eonwe posted:

if goons want to pirate fishing groups in a loving open pvp zone in a game where stealing poo poo is most of the fun and you get mad about it then you are dumb

Not sure why but pubs keep attacking me when I get on their fishing boats???

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 29, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

rizzen posted:

I really don't understand what the problem is here. Fishing is currently the best way in the game to get gold if you don't own land. Gold you then use to buy gear so you can do better than get two shot while PvPing in this PvP game. Is it really so hard to understand why people don't want others to gently caress this up for the majority of us who don't own more than an 8x8?

If the PvP in this game was more than a ping contest to see who gets the first CC off they might have more of an argument. Ask me about macroing my CCs in 1v1 arena so I have a rats chance at getting the first one off to do my dial-a-combo before the other dude does his dial-a-combo.

Oh and the idea of breaking up someone's combo using a CC breaker is a pretty big crock considering you just advance to the next CC phase of your combo and continue on. One just may wait a bit longer to attack after the last CC to wait for cooldowns to come back up.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 30, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
A neat build for 1v1 arena that trips most people up is a plate dreambreaker with illustrious lake, hasla shield, and a nice 1H scepter with lots of +magic attack. Pick all CC and mitigation spells/talents and then just spam enervate -> earthen grip (e: while running away/spamming CCs) off of every CD and you'll win 99% of arena fights because no one will be able to out sustain you. Said build is also decent for pirating because it has bubble the patron skill of piracy. That said you'll find more magic users on the high seas so a backup set of cloth gear may be in order.

A good guide (I kinda like taking Conversion Shield rather than Thwart because CS really fucks up casters in the rare event you find one)

90% of arenas are faceroll melees or stone arrows / primevals who think they can chip you to death. The joke being on them because you can spam Teleport -> Enervate -> Earthen Grip far faster than they can use their kiting abilities. Also Invincibility is a useful tool to delay people's combo a good 12 seconds so you can then enervate and earthen grip them again.

Also I played 1v1 arenas for a good several hours one night and didn't face a single magic damage player, they're insanely unpopular in 1v1 arena.

QT also runs around with a pretty rad Soothsayer build especially since he can poop on all the Darkrunners who have 0 sustainability.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 30, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Holyshoot posted:

DBRB is a giant human being and should go back to grinding towers in EVE like the bitch he is.

These are the people you share a guild with.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RaC0fFU1Q8

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Have Kim and Deutch let us know when the wedding is?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
What kind of dumb company would provide support for people who have paid them nothing?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
You know if you stripped out the Naval combat Warhammer Online was a far better world PvP experience than this game, even with the horribly imbalanced classes.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Deki posted:

You might want to explain this one for me, because I loving love Archeage's world PvP.

Yeah I mean having a ping CC combo spam contest is a really good PvP 10/10 would play again A+++

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
you seem to imply anyone actually cares about "getting poo poo done" in a stupid online video game

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

lampey posted:

Does anyone play archeage with a controller for things like trade runs?

I play trade runs with this cool program called AutoHotKey you should try it.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Someone make a private server for AA where everyone has the same choice of gear and consumable buffs / potions are turned off so all that matters is naval supremacy, thank you.

e: Basically I want Mount and Blade with AA's boat mechanics thanks in advance.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 2, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Kimsemus' life essence depends on yelling at people as they kill other people in video games, how can you really blame him?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Every time I post something really dumb or wrong I am going to play it off as irony or a joke.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
When I was playing it was fairly easy to find people to pirate if you knew the common routes people were going and had someone with a ship radar. The way the trade price regenerates and how zones open to peace periodically you can make a mental log of the most popular routes during a specific time of day. For example when Sanddeep hits peace there are a lot of packs from Two Crowns. When Cinderstone hits peace there are a lot of packs from Solzreed, Dewstone, Halcyona, etc.

The main problem I have with pirating packs vs fish is it's sort of hard to distribute profits. For fish you can make a tally of how much gold was secured total and then divide the gold up evenly among the pirate party right then and there. For trade packs it's often very indirect income because the profits come in 22 hours later. Probably the fairest way to do group piracy is by having a "pack master" who brings a lot of gold to distribute to the raid members at the end of the raid but turns in all the packs personally. This person might take a cut because of providing the money up front or just do it for the commerce exp. Alternatively the easiest way is just to try and keep track of who has delivered a pack and some people will inevitably get shafted and not get any packs in.

If anyone tells you to join a pirate raid but wants packs funneled to a specific person go tell them to get bent.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 3, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

always be closing posted:

Which class combination has the biggest spike damage? I want to one shot people on the high seas.

Daggerspells are very effective at solo piracy particularly because you can use a spell that takes your opponent off the ship, preventing them from getting into protected territory or running away. The player is trapped in a bubble as the momentum of their ship carries it far forward of their position.

The tried and true melee alternative is a Darkrunner as they can lasso opponents off their boat.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 3, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

reminder boat knew about bfm to the point where he was posting in the actual drama thread and between bursts of bfm faking emails i was calling boat fat and stupid(because he is the creature in my current avatar)

Wasn't DBRB also one of the first whistleblowers in this whole thing because of his knowledge?

Eonwe posted:

Reminder that dabigredboat got super angry about video game fishing and "took care of it" (his words) by going to get Kimsemus banned from a completely separate community.

That seems to be in contrast to DBRB going on several pirating adventures but both could be true.

I'm not sticking up for DBRB I'm just trying to get the facts straight. I just pirated with him a few times and he seemed pretty chill but I'm not privvy to the intimate details as all I really pay attention to is the AA threads on SA.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CompeAnansi posted:

I think repurposing Goon Squad into a roaming mercenary force aimed at annoying/hassling anyone and everyone would be a good time and a good fit for our current situation.

There are only 3 things required to squeeze the best juice of ArcheAge:

1.) buncha goons
2.) buncha harpoon clippers
3.) boat with a radar + guy marking boats

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

less than three posted:

Everything in the game is tied in to the RNG, why would you expect patch deployments to function any differently? They press F and deploy 1 to 6 commits worth of changes to the live environment.

This post was a good post and didn't get enough love.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Kids make sand castles which are real and require physical labor. Neckbeards spend countless hours developing strategies and programs to have a virtual sandcastle with their nametag on it that someone else built, modeled, textured, etc.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I tried to get goons to play Xsyon but no one wanted to :eng99: it has no PvP and is a communist wilderness simulator. Oh they actually added farming and let freebies make tribes now, neat.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Third World Reggin posted:

Ever since we had a few guys leave, I haven't had to solve any problems since they seem to be gone.

If no one plays the game you have no one to create problems.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

lewtt posted:

If you are still endlessly arguing or witch hunting after a month about awfully stupid poo poo a dumb guy did to a clueless teenager on the internet years ago while alienating/kicking/arguing with people who vocalize not caring about some random goon, it's bordering saying as much about you as it is BFM's said mindfucking of icelandic teen

But I guess calling people out on obsessive tirades over month-old/years-old spilled milk classifies me as a pedo apologist

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Charles Bukowski posted:

With an increase in goons, a lot of us lose that "tight-knit" feel we used to feel in goon guilds.

"We can't be a huge racist sexist anti-semitic misogynist and generally hugely casually bigoted circlejerk anymore :qq:"

If you're one of those gamers that uses the words "bitch", "human being", or "rape" casually you are the worst thing about online gaming and should stop playing entirely until you can grow up past a 12 year old boy's level of edginess.

Maybe there wouldn't be so much drama if people could stop being abusive creepy shitheels over the internet constantly.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 13, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Eonwe posted:

im pretty sure he wasn't saying that tho

Well that's what SA was back then so?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Some day MMO developers will learn it is possible to create economics based sustainable MMOs that aren't called EvE. ATITD2 when? I suppose the current business model of cashing in on initial sales then throwing games onto life support isn't a terrible idea though.

It's amazing how much MMO economies can suck when their regulation is limitless.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

After a couple boat battles, some illegal farm shenanigans, and some fish piracy, that's what I did and my general experience with ArcheAge was pretty positive.

I feel bad for anyone who didn't get in on the ground floor of piracy before poopsocked gear/consumables/etc. became ubiquitous. The heart of an MMO should be of the players and their wits, not the feces accumulated in their stockings. I still have to thank that one goon for letting me use their account during headstart when illegal farms were quite popular and a day could be had of gliding around stealing crops.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 14, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yeah the whole people putting way too much value into database entries stored in a table under their account is kind of depressing.

One day we'll see a proper circular economic model used in more MMOs where gatherers meet the demand of crafters which meet the demand of warriors who create a demand via consuming armor, weapons, consumables, etc. instead of putting the onus on developers to power creep gear via patches/expansions which creates a temporary artificial demand.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 14, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tanreall posted:

At this point it doesn't really matter. The population is in free fall. The question now is whether we'll see a castle siege or server merge first.

Quick Tanreall, revive the CRPG thread!

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ruffz posted:

I'm just sick of investing hundreds of hours into characters in failed MMOs and ones that are heading down the path to failing like AA is.

It's almost like steep linear progression is a bigger barrier to new customers than a good retention scheme.

Then again most gamers seem to not know what sunk cost fallacy is.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
They didn't even have the common decency to spell <HULKAMANIA RUNNING WILD> properly.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Clearly you have not played any game by Cryptic.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Third World Reggin posted:

I wouldn't say this is the worst gently caress up of an mmo and an economy.

NCSoft has a cash shop currency tied to multiple games and one games let you put in negative bids which would win you the auction instantly and give you the balance of the difference. This was used to gently caress with the cash shop currency making it all sorts of funny.

Same thing happened in Neverwinter.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
http://arche-base.com/builds/search

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If the population of die hard players dies off it seems there is a very good niche for casual players that just want to farm, fish, run trade routes, etc. In fact a lack of die hard PvPers will probably only help that population grow.

• Locked thread