Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
A thought occurred for something that I'd like to see in HW, unlikely though it doubtlessly is: scaled tome rewards for roulettes. At present, you can get anywhere between 20 and 45 poetics from High Level depending on the roll of the dice as to which dungeon you end up with. It'd be really nice if the bonus scaled up to a maximum, so if you were to get stuck with the equivalent of WP/AK, you'd still get a decent reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

mightygerm posted:

Is it just me or is the Flying Fat Chocobo kind of tasteless? I mean, it's animated like it's constantly out of breath as you fly it around with cake on a string.

Like, I guess making "it's funny because it's fat lolololo" the joke just seems dated and offensive with the kind of political incorrectness that only eastern devs seem capable of conjuring up. I'm not trying to be a social justice warrior or anything, honestly. I'm usually the last person to blow the whistle on this kind of thing. Guess it just really rubbed me the wrong way after I first used it and flew around on it a bit.

Not even all that fat irl.

Well, he was originally used as an item bank because he can store massive amounts of goods in his crop, then later gained the ability to be dropped onto unsuspecting enemies' heads. So the old boy hasn't exactly enjoyed the most dignified role in the games.

For my part, I find him too adorable to get annoyed at it.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Bacontotem posted:

Fat chocobo mount is actually just a bulking bodybuilding chocobo. Once he goes into a cut cycle you'll see.

He's all muscle. How else could he soar through the heavens in such defiance of the laws of physics on those tiny little wings?

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Eej posted:

It's apparently more blatant in the Japanese version while we got crazy old man ranting from him in the English localization.

Basically. He spells out rather unambiguously that he's stripping the Blessing, which was going to fade on its own eventually, to see if you (as a mortal) will still make the right decisions and "lead Man whence the Light guides them" even though you've been cut off from Earthmom. It's a trial, to see if you're a bad enough hero to bring an end to the War.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Captain Oblivious posted:

And the English translation can lead to all the same conclusions. One just has to actually have the ability to infer things from context! :v:

I never said that it couldn't! :v:

I am not really equipped to comment on the localized version of the scene, but I have seen quite a few people scratching their heads over it. Which would suggest (to me, at least) that either it requires a higher level of inference, or the less-is-more approach to dragonspeak could use some work.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

I'm trying to scream, but no sound is coming out. Is this normal?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

FFVII remake just got announced @ E3. Predictions on the inevitable XIV tie-in promo event items? Gun-arm for MST, Buster Sword for DRK?

Buster Sword for DRK, Vincent's Death Penalty for MST (assuming the name doesn't get used elsewhere), Premium Heart for MMNK, Princess Guard for WHM, Venus Gospel for DRG? Maybe a pop-up Cait Sith book for SMN/SCH.

Bertram Weatherby fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 16, 2015

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Fister Roboto posted:

1. How will procreation work?

In a similar fashion to how you kill a warlock for good.

Just watch out for the rostrum - if it penetrates your skin, it'll exsanguinate you in a matter of seconds.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
You need more Vitamin Scathe in your diet.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Unlocked white Mage. Now do I pound scholar or whm to fifty

White Mage. You get to wear the comfiest outfits and you get Holy, which works a treat if you're of the "kill dungeons quicklike" persuasion.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
That trailer was hype. My only complaint was that I wished the audio balance was a little better because I was having difficulty making out dialogue over the sound of the pipe organs and the chanting.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

ilifinicus posted:

I was kinda more expecting you to be hype over that he is GEORGE NAKATA

I squealed with joy when I realized it was George.

That being said, I'm trying to figure out which actress it is voicing the woman's voice at ~4:54 or so. The line in between Lahabrea's. I know that voice but for some reason I can't place a name and it's driving me nuts. :smith:

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

LegionAreI posted:

If that's Hydealyn's voice actress, I'm pretty sure it's Mary McGlynn of Ghost in the Shell: SAC and a billion other things.

Oh, no, I meant in the Japanese version of the trailer. Somebody said it was Hydaelyn's VA (Ikeda Masako) but it doesn't really sound like her to me.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

ilifinicus posted:

That's Iceheart's voice actor

Uchida Maaya?

Ehhh, I don't think it is but I'm out of ideas.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Whizbang posted:

Didn't you hear all the true power of the echo stuff? The Warrior of Darkness is Minfillia.

True power of the Echo is the ability to get adventurers to come running from halfway across the continent to hear a message you could have conveyed by linkpearl.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Intoluene posted:

You know what, if it actually makes Minfilia interesting, I'm all for the Warrior of Darkness to be Minfilia.

It'd be an effective way to get the players to go at the Warrior of Darkness in a blind rage.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven't done ninja yet.

Ninja: You learn how to ninja from a team of them who came to Eorzea to hunt down a traitor. Turns out the traitor isn't actually a traitor nor the real bad guy. He's still kind of a tosser though.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Rincewind posted:

Here are some dumb lore questions: Where are Carteneau and Ala Mhigo in relation to the areas we actually see in-game?

Carteneau is south and west of Mor Dhona, while Ala Mhigo is due east of Gridania.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Eimi posted:

I think you mean Karasu is loving amazing. And the best. And he better come back in 3.0. (Also all the ninja trainers name's mean something. Oboro is dim. As in stupid.:ssh:)

I loved Karasu, but he was a complete wanker. Also I'm fairly certain Oboro is named such because it's a classic "ninja-ish" name

Bertram Weatherby fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 17, 2015

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Eimi posted:

Karasu is raven and Tsubame is swallow. It's a pretty intentional joke at his character.

It's not that kind of "dim". It's more like "uncertain" or "unclear" such as the moon on a cloudy night.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
Looks like Yoshida just reiterated that the cost of a basement workshop will be "less than a million".

Jokes immediately began about how the price is 999,999 gil.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
Chimatsuri (Bloodbath) is a fancy name for the NIN LB3, especially considering it really just appears to be the NIN spamming the Throw command. :allears:

And it of course begs the question of whether the Ascians have enough weapons.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Renegret posted:

I better get my god drat debuff card.

I'm going to be so pissed if I don't.

Alas, the dream of using the card on that one guy right before he eats a massive AoE is dead.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Renegret posted:

I'm saying you drop it on some pubbie and watch them froth at the mouth, even if they're a lowly DPS who shouldn't be getting hit anyway. The goal isn't to kill them.

It's really a shame. That said, I predict that a similar phenomenon will inevitably happen when certain pubs flip out because you're not buffing them when in their mind, they're the party's secret weapon.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Renegret posted:

I'll have to settle on MP buffing the Paladin, but it's just not the same.

Just think of how many extra Flashes he'll be able to squeeze in between spamming Riot Blade.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
I thought that it was single target but Royal Road made Bole and Spire into AoE.

But now I feel gaslighted.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Truga posted:

And then a week later SE will change it.

I hope not. The devil's in the details, but AST is already looking pretty impressive. I'm hoping that in their zeal to make a healer that could fulfill the role of either, they didn't accidentally make one that obsoletes both.

Also, the obvious solution to choosing how to use the cards is to announce that the first person to reply will get the buff, and then use it on a random person.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I need this please yoship.

I want that badly.

We also need a Nael mount where they give you a piggy back ride and fly you around.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Axle_Stukov posted:

Mounts added retroactively to T5/T9/T13 to ensure people run them until the end of time, the mount is the boss of the turn.

Bahamut mount is his physical body, rather than Bahamut Prime. The small folk cower in terror as you black out the sun, and servers start crashing after the second one drops.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Truga posted:

I feel like quests will require to run dungeons synced to work, because the point of most of those quests is to run old content with newbies...

Well yeah, quests will probably require you to do them properly but a lot of people have been looking for an opportunity to run lowbie dungeons into the ground for glamour gear, like the Longstop sets.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Niton posted:

Dissipation is a 20% potency increase, not an increase to healing spells, with a 20 sec duration and a 120 sec CD.

So it's a weaker Divine Seal, with twice the cool down and you have to sacrifice your faerie to use it?

That's pretty rough, mate.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Niton posted:

Well, I mean, if it's exactly as he described it, there is one small difference:

I dunno, sacrificing your faerie doesn't really seem worth it to facilitate pretending to be a DPS a bit harder for 20s especially when you consider the time spent resummoning or wasting Swiftcast to get her back up.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

nuru posted:

This is incorrect.

Well then. I am glad for SCHs for getting a useful new tool then!

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Nah, that was my bad.

To my untrained eye, the ability seemed kind of lacklustre and I fell into the trap of getting indignant about it like a grumpy old man.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Eej posted:

The Wanderer's Paean - Nullifies next enfeeblement.

So it blocks the next detrimental effect to hit you? Depending on the scope of what it can nullify, seems that could be really useful.

Begs the question of whether it's a targeted ability or an actual song.

Bertram Weatherby fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 17, 2015

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

El Cid posted:

I like that they had to put at least some amount of thought into what order the classes that start at level 30 "got" their abilities at, just so they can be taken away for low level dungeons/guildhests. Those are such a joke now anyway they should just let the new classes be LLDR superstars and have 30 levels worth of abilities in Sastasha.

Even better: Your stats are still scaled down, but you retain all of the abilities that you would otherwise have before Level Sync.

Stuff like Flare and Holy to light up the dingy halls of Sastasha.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
Apropos of nothing, I finally figured out who that voice in the JP launch trailer was, and why it sounded familiar. It's Orikasa Ai.

Fat_Cow posted:

500k, I have no idea if I am being scammed.

If that's to get you from 1 to 50 in any given craft, it's more than it'd cost to just buy the HQ items off the markets for certain crafts. If I recall correctly, WVR tended to be one of the more expensive ones but it might still cost less to just buy the items depending on your server. I'd suggest looking up what the best turn-ins for a few of the level ranges are, and just check the boards to see if they can be bought sufficiently cheaply and in bulk.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

fadam posted:

What are the drop-rates on the ponies now? I just banged out the ex primals for a friend and we saw one drop every time. Is it 100%?

Also, I hope they expand the tank cheevos to give flying mounts at 400 high level duties or something. I want a flying lion.

Supposedly about 1:3 or so is what I've heard, though I only wish I was getting a ratio that good.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/charmwitch/status/611279482704375808

White Mages crying and cheering at the same time.

As soon as I saw Holy on the list of WHM abilities getting ~adjustments~ in the patch notes, I knew this was coming. Wasn't expecting it to be this bad though. :negative:

Still, Assize is looking pretty nice and we've got Aero 3 on the tappy. I just hope that the rest of the adjustments to the old WHM abilities aren't as drastic.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
I'm not particularly broken-hearted about the Holy change since there's a couple more toys to play with in exchange, I'm just surprised by how robust the nerf to it and Flare was.

That said, I really do hope that HW designs dungeons around trash being somewhat less mind-numbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Gods, she really knows how to rub it in doesn't she.

• Locked thread